Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361047 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
not sure about this one , started of a promising career , then injuries have taken their toll, to be honest we are taking another 12m gamble on a player that may or may not do the business, my yardstick is always , how many other clubs in the premiership are competing for his signature, not a lot, if any I would much rather take a shot on a young unknown who has just started making his way, it would certainly be a lot cheaper and therefore less of a gamble, mind you when we do sign such a player we loan him out for 2 years with no real control over his development. why is it that other clubs in the premiership s seem to find these types of players and all we seem to get is the players that nobody else wants.

If you check 'Oatcake' Stoke were looking at him, and his former club Burnley were also considering him. He has passed a West Brom medical [notoriously difficult - ask Sakho!!] and TP has been after him for some time. So lets just trust his judgement on this one. Personally I think its a great signing.
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:40 PM »
I'm happy with the Rodriguez signing, as long as we don't out all of our faith in him. I think we need to ensure we bring in a wide forward or some sort as a back up in case his injury problems flair up.

He is a good character though and hus record pre injury was one of a £25 million striker in today's market. Let's hope he gets back to that level.
Boing Boing

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #452 on: July 09, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
I wonder how far from match fit he his.   It's always frustrating when a new signing doesn't make the match squad or team until November and TP talks about the good work going on with the physios, needs a few more reserve games etc.  Hopefully a full pre-season will be enough to have him ready for the first match.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
I wonder how far from match fit he his.   It's always frustrating when a new signing doesn't make the match squad or team until November and TP talks about the good work going on with the physios, needs a few more reserve games etc.  Hopefully a full pre-season will be enough to have him ready for the first match.

Don't do this to me....... saw the Rodriguez thread pop up and thought you were going to say he'd got injured in training  :o  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »

Jay -Rod is a player Pulis wants and I absolutely guarantee that he will be match fit come August assuming he doesn't pick up a knock. On the other hand Chadli won't be nor will any player that Pulis feels he has had to make a compromise in having in his squad. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
I see people make comments and jokes about this all the time but it's a bit of a myth really. The 'hasn't had a pre season' line is used as a stick to hit Pulis with but it only ever actually applies to players who haven't actually had one. Not a dig at you at all but I see so many fans say this about our targets when they have obviously been training at their current club. I don't think any of the 5 players who joined last year had any real issues bar HRK who hadn't trained all summer as a free agent. He only missed one game as well and was involved by mid September. The summer before the only one was Gnabry who missed big chunks of the Arsenal pre season with injury.

It was actually much worse under Irvine where we signed about 6/7 players who all genuinely hasn't had any pre season for all sorts of reasons.

Rodriguez was fit for pretty much the whole of last year and injury permitting will go through the full pre season with us. Unless he picks up a probably then he should absolutely be fit for the first game.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
There's a lot of (deserved) praise for Hegazi but J-Rod was immense first half and gave the Bournemouth defence the run around and led the line very well. I was unsure about him as a lone frontman but he shown he was more than capable against a good defender in Ake.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
Think he benefited from having the ball largely played to his feet as opposed to receiving it at neck height.

Played well, more of the same please.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
He has got that natural instinct to adjust his body/improvise and get shots off even if the ball doesn't arrive perfectly. Le Tissier was saying what a great lad he was yesterday also.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »
I like how he wasn't afraid to take a shot.
Any sniff of half a chance and he's taking a shot which will either lead to goals or corners

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
Think he benefited from having the ball largely played to his feet as opposed to receiving it at neck height.

Played well, more of the same please.

Yes exactly which I think is part of Rondons frustrations. That's the most mobile and ball on the deck attack we've played for a while - for all his obvious positives, Evans is prone to taking time at the back to look up and fire a ball in the air forward - same with McAuley and Dawson. Hegazi yesterday was more keen to go forward and down the flanks and Phillips and McClean lapped that up yesterday around JRod. I believe Sal sat on the bench thinking where's this been all season.

That said JRod gets into those positions more from what I saw yesterday, and allows through balls to be played. Let's face it, if Rondon wandered around looking for through balls last season and stopped being the Target Man, we'd never have found him.

Need need need to keep that ball on the deck as much as possible this season.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:35 AM »
He's looked woeful since the Bournemouth game. Can't wait until people are getting on his back like they have been Rondon. We'll get the "can't control a ball", "can't hit a barn door", "sign a proper striker like Deeney" comments in the next couple of weeks. Despite the fact that no attacking player has looked consistently good since Pulis took over. Even Phillips looks terrible this season.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Wasted out wide being forced to track back. Needs to play up top or as a No.10 and we see the best out of him.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #463 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Firstly don't forget he scored in the previous game.

This will probably become like the Chadli argument.....J-Rod has played a lot coming in off the left in the past and whoever plays there has to track back.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #464 on: September 10, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
Firstly don't forget he scored in the previous game.

This will probably become like the Chadli argument.....J-Rod has played a lot coming in off the left in the past and whoever plays there has to track back.

Correct, but he's better up top and better than Rondon.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
Wasted out wide being forced to track back. Needs to play up top or as a No.10 and we see the best out of him.
100% agree and if he doesn't that will be another good player ruined by Pulis.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #466 on: October 17, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #467 on: October 18, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/17/gareth-southgate-considers-england-recall-jay-rodriguez/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw
on the verge of an England recall according to the Perce  8)

Well he’s selected Livermore based on some poor displays so Rodriguez has ticked that box of late.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #468 on: October 18, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »

Another player having his ability trained out of him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: October 18, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Needs to play centrally for me, ideally as the lone striker with Chadli behind, Phillips and Brunt on the flanks and we may start playing it on the floor.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #470 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »
Needs to play centrally for me, ideally as the lone striker with Chadli behind, Phillips and Brunt on the flanks and we may start playing it on the floor.

Doesn't really matter who you play in what positions, the instructions from the top will still be to lump it forward quickly. I do agree that if he plays it has to be centrally, looks wasted out on the wing currently.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #471 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »
I would like to see a diamond ?? with rondon up top

ie

Rondon

Chadli               JRod

Krychowiak

Barry                       Yac / Livermore

Gibbs      Evans                      GMac               Nyom

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Rodriguez needs to be on the left not the right of any formation we play. Chadli needs to be down the middle. Phillips on the right

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
I've just come in from work and read on teletext that according to the Telegraph Southgate is considering recalling Rodriguez into his squad!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
I've just come in from work and read on teletext that according to the Telegraph Southgate is considering recalling Rodriguez into his squad!
There's hope for me yet, better start polishing me Gola!