Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361037 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #425 on: July 03, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »
Most definitely. He is the one British signing I could get behind as I have seen the player he can be before his injury.

Now can we look abroad and get some good value for money in the remainder pls  ;D

I have made a note of the date Fritzl.......
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #426 on: July 03, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »
just had a customer come in wearing a mask and a striped t shirt, hes obviously a southampton fan. welcome Jay go prove them all wrong
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: July 03, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
Welcome to the club, Jay. :)

£12m is a reasonable price in nowadays transfer market, would be a decent signing if we can prevent him from injury.
The PRIDE of midlands

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: July 03, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
So where do we think he fits?

We can't have paid so much for a Robson-Kanu replacement to sit on the bench. He isn't a Pulis-type striker, so I can't see him getting the nod as a lone striker.

That means wide left. But Pulis likes McClean, so is this a sign we now consider Brunt as a left-back full time?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #429 on: July 03, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
If we can keep him fit and if he gets a run of games this will be a very astute signing.
However I’m not sure where he will fit into our side.  His best season was when he played in a front three at Southampton, with Lambert playing through the centre, Rodriguez was slightly off him on the left side and Lallana on the right.  A similar front 3 including Rodriguez; Rondon, Chadli or Phillips could do some real damage but I just can’t see Pulis playing such a formation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:24:05 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #430 on: July 03, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »
If we can keep him fit and if he gets a run of games this will be a very astute signing.
However I’m not sure where he will fit into our side.  His best season was when he played in a front three at Southampton, with Lambert playing through the centre, Rodriguez was slightly off him on the left side and Lallana on the right.  A similar front 3 including him Rondon, Chadli or Phillips could do some real damage but I just can’t see Pulis playing such a formation.

You would say the four of them on the pitch at the same time would be our best bet as an attacking force, with Livermore and another in the holding role, but I sadly do not see Pulis employing it. Far too attacking for his tastes.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #431 on: July 03, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
You would say the four of them on the pitch at the same time would be our best bet as an attacking force, with Livermore and another in the holding role, but I sadly do not see Pulis employing it. Far too attacking for his tastes.

Good to have the real Fritzl back......... :)
MAGA!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #432 on: July 03, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
Good to have the real Fritzl back......... :)

He's never too far away  ;D

SirTonyPulis

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #433 on: July 03, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

We can't have paid so much for a Robson-Kanu replacement to sit on the bench. He isn't a Pulis-type striker, so I can't see him getting the nod as a lone striker.

That means wide left. But Pulis likes McClean, so is this a sign we now consider Brunt as a left-back full time?

Does he really like McClean? Chadli played awful for most of the season but was still starting almost every game instead of McClean

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #434 on: July 03, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
Judging by Pulis's comments today it looks as if he has been brought mainly as a wide player who can fill in as a striker and not the other way round.
Gera, Gera, Gera

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #435 on: July 03, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
Judging by Pulis's comments today it looks as if he has been brought mainly as a wide player who can fill in as a striker and not the other way round.

Exactly what I was hoping for, I can get behind the signing more now I've heard that.

Phillips - Chadli - Rodriguez
Rondon

With Morrison, McClean, Brunt and HRK able to rotate in through form and fitness.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #436 on: July 03, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
Exactly what I was hoping for, I can get behind the signing more now I've heard that.

Rondon

With Morrison, McClean, Brunt and HRK able to rotate in through form and fitness.

I can get behind this. I would really love it if LB was more of a priority for this club though.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »

Rondon

You would think he has to play that, but knowing our TP as well as we do now, I think only three of the four will start with another defensive mid in there

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #438 on: July 03, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
You would think he has to play that, but knowing our TP as well as we do now, I think only three of the four will start with another defensive mid in there

each one of Chadli, Jay, and Rondon cost double digits millions to bring to The Hawthorns. How can a club with a limited budget afford not to start those players on a consistent basis? The only one who doesn't match this description is Phillips and he should be an unquestioned starter. There's a lot of transfer window left but as of right now how can TP justify spending the money to bring these guys in but not starting them all?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #439 on: July 03, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »
each one of Chadli, Jay, and Rondon cost double digits millions to bring to The Hawthorns. How can a club with a limited budget afford not to start those players on a consistent basis? The only one who doesn't match this description is Phillips and he should be an unquestioned starter. There's a lot of transfer window left but as of right now how can TP justify spending the money to bring these guys in but not starting them all?
He may well start them all and it wouldn't be too different to what we had at times last season with Rondon, Phillips, Chadli and McClean/Brunt. There will be times when a £12m player is left out which would be a good sign for strength in depth.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #440 on: July 03, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »

Also a price tag shouldn't justify a starting place. If they're playing poorly it's good to have some competition to be able to rotate

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #441 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »
get
Also a price tag shouldn't justify a starting place. If they're playing poorly it's good to have some competition to be able to rotate

Two things firstly fees plus wages are the real cost to the club, and secondly we have to get the money on the pitch.

Players should be selected on merit but if we are playing McClean ahead of Chadli,Rodriguez or even Philips that's not a sign of strength it means we spent the money on the wrong players.

Ultimately I can't help thinking this will boil down to a choice between Chadli and Rodriguez.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #442 on: July 04, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »

I hope it's more of a sign that we consider Brunt an option from the bench. I think we will sign a left back in this window.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #443 on: July 04, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
If he plays wide left in a front 3, as he did for Saints, it is a great signing.
If he plays as a secondary left back, in a defensive midfield 5, then it's a bit of a waste as he will be a fish out of water, same as Chadli.
If we bring these type of players in, we have to play to their strengths. Will Pulis have the courage, I doubt it, but live in hope.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #444 on: July 04, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
Always like the look of him when he's been fit and playing but I must admit I struggle to see exactly where he fits in a Pulis side and his injury record is a concern. Actually looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »
Two things firstly fees plus wages are the real cost to the club, and secondly we have to get the money on the pitch.

Players should be selected on merit but if we are playing McClean ahead of Chadli,Rodriguez or even Philips that's not a sign of strength it means we spent the money on the wrong players.

Ultimately I can't help thinking this will boil down to a choice between Chadli and Rodriguez.
Being picky but form has to come into it though....in September Chadli may be playing at his best which means he's picked ahead of McClean. In November Chadli may be off the boil so McClean is picked (which doesn't mean we shouldn't have bought Chadli). You could argue in that case that we should have bought someone instead of Chadli who's always good but in reality.....

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »

This is where we have to disagree. I understand the business side of things but if the expensive signing/high earning guy is playing poorly, he still deserves to be rotated regardless of cost to the club. All well and good getting the money on the pitch but no point if you get relegated because the cheaper in-form player is stuck on the bench while the expensive guy isn't doing anything on the pitch.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
I am not saying that form doesn't count and that the most expensive players are untouchable, however the plan should be to get the money on the pitch. If things don't pan out that way so be it but as soon as is possible you unload the players that are costing the most without making a contribution. You absolutely don't carry 3 starting XI salaries for one position but don't have a clear starter in another.

If for whatever reason we aren't playing our most expensive players then something is wrong. If Rodriquez ends up in the 10 role then there are an awful lot of resources being tied up in Morrison and Chadli that might be better deployed elsewhere. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
not sure about this one , started of a promising career , then injuries have taken their toll, to be honest we are taking another 12m gamble on a player that may or may not do the business, my yardstick is always , how many other clubs in the premiership are competing for his signature, not a lot, if any I would much rather take a shot on a young unknown who has just started making his way, it would certainly be a lot cheaper and therefore less of a gamble, mind you when we do sign such a player we loan him out for 2 years with no real control over his development. why is it that other clubs in the premiership s seem to find these types of players and all we seem to get is the players that nobody else wants.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
not sure about this one , started of a promising career , then injuries have taken their toll, to be honest we are taking another 12m gamble on a player that may or may not do the business, my yardstick is always , how many other clubs in the premiership are competing for his signature, not a lot, if any I would much rather take a shot on a young unknown who has just started making his way, it would certainly be a lot cheaper and therefore less of a gamble, mind you when we do sign such a player we loan him out for 2 years with no real control over his development. why is it that other clubs in the premiership s seem to find these types of players and all we seem to get is the players that nobody else wants.

If we did that the club would no doubt be slagged off for buying unknown players.

We had to loan out the Chinese player  (I'm assuming that's who you are referencing with the 2 year loan comment)as he wouldn't have got a work permit, which may well be another issue with buying unknown players, depending obviously on how "unknown" they really are.