Author Topic: Brandon Thomas-Asante  (Read 90272 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Brandon Thomas-Asante
« on: August 30, 2022, 04:10:11 PM »
Just googled him and noticed he is 23 as you have since posted. Surely he has to get out now and play.

He's not old but he's not a teenager either by some years.

I wish we could sign his old man personally.

I remember his dad, was decent!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 06:15:41 PM by Political Cake »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Brandon Thomas-Asante
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 04:11:48 PM »
Bloke off Talksport says

"Alex Crook ⚽️🎙🇺🇦
@alex_crook
Hearing Salford striker Brandon Thomas-Asante is having a medical at #WBA"

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »
I wouldn't be against signing someone like Thomas Asante but could you really see him coming in and replacing Grant or Robinson up top? I certainly couldn't. We need someone who can come in and start right away. It's a needle in a haystack with the way we limit ourselves.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
He seems the sort of signing we can have a bob each way on . If he comes and proves to be a good goal scorer then happy days but as a fall back it would appear he could be cover for Wallace in the wide right position
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »
Bloke off Talksport says

"Alex Crook ⚽️🎙🇺🇦
@alex_crook
Hearing Salford striker Brandon Thomas-Asante is having a medical at #WBA"

Beat me to it, he has over 49K followers so potentially worth listening to.

Twitter is horrible right now, it's like none of them realise many players step up from leagues below. I guess it's still the school holidays.

I'm all for signings like this and abroad. I'm bored of the way we usually recruit. At least this shows some form of scouting...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
Beat me to it, he has over 49K followers so potentially worth listening to.

Twitter is horrible right now, it's like none of them realise many players step up from leagues below. I guess it's still the school holidays.

I'm all for signings like this and abroad. I'm bored of the way we usually recruit. At least this shows some form of scouting...

It came from left field which is nice to see. If it is 300k it's a chance worth taking.

He seems quite athletic and well built as well which helps us as our attackers are fairly soft and weak in the challenge aside from Dike whos crocked.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:26:31 PM by gazberg »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
2 reporters saying it does give it more legs. Our local reporters might want to pull their fingers out if this is true.
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 04:28:45 PM »
More than happy to take a punt on the lad, but he will have a lot of pressure on his shoulders to be able to step up and deliver straight away in a Scott Dobie fashion if we fail to bring in another striker on loan as well as him.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:29:08 PM »
From what i've seen it looks like he could possible play the 10 too.

We've made some poor transfer decisions over the years, but I'd put this in the same category as Wallace, Swift and even Mowatt in that it makes sense in the here and now. It may not work (as Mowatt perhaps hasnt) but you can see the logic given the situation.  I'd much rather do this than sign players like Zohore and Anichebe. It's about time we had a cheap deal work out in the long run (not that that means anything).

Can he step in for Grant, I honestly don't know. However we are creating enough chances. Someone with a bit of fire in their belly, willing to put themselves about in the box and try and get on the ends of things will get plenty of opportunities. You don't need to be a world beater at this level.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 04:33:19 PM »

It came from left field which is nice to see. If it is 300k it's a chance worth taking.

He seems quite athletic and well built as well which helps us as our attackers are fairly soft and weak in the challenge aside from Dike whos crocked.

Reminds me of Allan Saint-Maximin   ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 04:34:09 PM »
Reminds me of Allan Saint-Maximin   ;D

If he's a tenth as good for 300k snap him up now  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 04:44:48 PM »
For what it's worth

"DOOD
@DoodWBA
Thomas-As ante close to signing. Should be announced tomorrow. #WBA"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 04:46:56 PM »
He's 6 foot bar a few mm according to Transfermarkt stats. Looks powerful as well.

Edit - Looks like me in this clip  https://twitter.com/i/status/1564639907808698379

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 05:17:22 PM »
2 reporters saying it does give it more legs. Our local reporters might want to pull their fingers out if this is true.

All the local reporters are travelling in their cars to Wigan !

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 05:24:05 PM »
personally I'd much rather we tried to sign a 23 year old who is waiting for his big chance than sign a 35 year old who is only coming for one last big payday like we normally do

If we can get this lad from Salford and a premiership player on loan who can play upfront then I think we have done ok
Baggie Terra

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 05:42:16 PM »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 05:45:17 PM »
I dont know much about this lad but we are where we are and beggars cant be choosers... what i would say is the last striker we nicked from lower leagues for £300k was a certain Bob Taylor...... we can all but dream .....

When saw the £300k that was my first thought too but if I remember correctly Bristol City were in a higher division.

At this moment in time I would be happy if he was half the finisher Super was and pray he isn't another Shergiill Mcdonald.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 05:45:49 PM »
https://salfordcityfcfans.proboards.com/thread/3720/bta-on-out .    not championship material
what I picked up from the comments he gives 100% every match that's a plus for starters!

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
what I picked up from the comments he gives 100% every match that's a plus for starters!
Lot of comments about his work rate and link up play which is what we need in this system. Maybe a shrewd signing?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 05:51:45 PM »
Lot of comments about his work rate and link up play which is what we need in this system. Maybe a shrewd signing?
Watched a little clip of him I liked how he passed the ball to players in a better position rather than shoot from a bad angle, shows a player with his brain in his head and not his boots.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 05:52:31 PM »
At £300k a no brainer for me!

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 05:53:46 PM »
Looks promising - hopefully another Cyrille Regis 🤞we get him and, at £300k hardly a gamble.
Notice ‘blouse’ are also interested
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 05:54:19 PM »
https://salfordcityfcfans.proboards.com/thread/3720/bta-on-out .    not championship material

Looks like there is one comment saying that?  The others say £300k is cheap, he's got better and better, works hard, can't be replaced at that level etc. Far more positive than negative.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »
I wonder if he is any better than the ones we have let go recently, some who were never given a chance? Time will tell. I can vividly remember Cyrille coming in from Hayes and there was a real feeling he was going to be good and he broke into the first team really quickly.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2022, 06:21:59 PM »
We need a striker, one that will fit into the system and not someone to sit on the bench to come on for the last 20 minutes or so with hardly anytime to make an impact. If he's good enough play him regardless of where he comes from or how old he is.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill