Author Topic: 11 May 2019 Aston Villa 2 Albion 1 (Play Off 1st Leg)  (Read 95351 times)

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2019, 02:41:16 PM »
Not out of it, I guess we get a different ref on Tuesday? Sky and the press are pushing for their cream 'Chelsea old boy' Wembley date with Derby and Villa.....

I guess we might go with Philips up front but who comes into the midfield? Harper I guess?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #401 on: May 11, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
Thought we set up well enough , had a good hold of the game too.
Losing Dawson put us in trouble plus Jrod vanishing from the game 2nd half after being one of the best players on the pitch 1st half.
Superb goal from Gayle , stupid challenge on the keeper though after already being booked .
Looks like the injuries are mounting up for the 2nd leg , not sure we havd enough to turn it round.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #402 on: May 11, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
If the keeper fumbles it Gayle gets lambasted for not going for it, Disgusting 2nd yellow and had a bad feeling about that ref before the game. And proved my instinct when he should have gave us a pen aswell.

They can be got at, But Villa will now set up to counter us which without Gayle can't see us penetrating.

superkev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: May 11, 2019, 02:45:34 PM »
Please no lightweight Murphy ever again
"

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: May 11, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
If we had a CB on the bench (Tosin) we wouldn't have had to change a lot but having only Mears to call upon cost us.

Not a foul for me so i don't blame Gayle, he's trying to score.

Should have kept it simple.

We now need to call upon Edwards/Murphy/Phillips to go up top.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #405 on: May 11, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
Gayle was warned shortly after his booking so I think the sending off was more for ‘totting up’. Don’t think it was a booking it’s own.

Uphill battle but not impossible.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »
Good first half, shocking second.  Villa deserved the win.

The sub that killed us was Phillips for Murphy,  all the problems we had then came down that side as Gibbs was exposed.

Gayle's first yellow was stupid.  Second was never a yellow, he has to go for that ball and he pulled out if the challenge.  Again, ref easily persuaded.

Clearly a pen for us, not given.  The ref was influenced by the crowd all game.

Match was lost with Brunt and Johansson in the middle.  They dropped too deep all game.  Never got forward and never offered any support.  Out of the two Brunt was the worst, last 20 mins he had just given up.

No way will we get a result on Tuesday.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #407 on: May 11, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
Yep leaving Tosh out was insane. Shan and co clueless, just mirroring their superiors.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »
Only one goal in it. At home weve been able to grind out results. Still doable if it’s a different ref!

Tony

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
Good first half, shocking second.  Villa deserved the win.

The sub that killed us was Phillips for Murphy,  all the problems we had then came down that side as Gibbs was exposed.

Gayle's first yellow was stupid.  Second was never a yellow, he has to go for that ball and he pulled out if the challenge.  Again, ref easily persuaded.

Clearly a pen for us, not given.  The ref was influenced by the crowd all game.

Match was lost with Brunt and Johansson in the middle. They dropped too deep all game.  Never got forward and never offered any support.  Out of the two Brunt was the worst, last 20 mins he had just given up.

No way will we get a result on Tuesday.

Agree re Brunt but thought Johanson was doing a good job on Grealish until he tired in the second half. Can't blame him for tiring when he was effectively doing the job of 3 in the middle since Brunt did absolutely nothing all game except take corners - not a single forward pass nor much defensively - and Murphy is as lightweight as they come. Bringing on Field or Morrison for Phillips would have been the better change in hindsight.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »
Are there grounds for us to appeal Gayle’s red?

It was a harsh decision, he’s committed, how the hell is he supposed to pull out.

Telecast I was watching had the commentators saying they thought it was harsh too.

Can we appeal?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Were a one man team and that man is suspended for the return leg. Our players are thick. No common sense between them. How did the management not see that we needed another striker? Loads of old overpaid players eating away at our parachute payments. We’re incredibly slow and infirm, that midfield can’t get around the pitch and the defending was way too deep second half. Be a miracle if we do anything in the home match.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #412 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »
It was always going to be tough against the inform team of the division but if Gayle hadn't been sent off I would fancy us.  Probably Gayle's last game for us which is disappointing.

It's up to the kids to stand up and be counted.  we have some good kids and we should have been playing them a lot more this season.

So now Shan needs to tell the kids on Tuesday "  Go on son , make yourself a hero !" 

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #413 on: May 11, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
I'm a big fan but thought Brunt didn't deliver Today , was looking to him for more really .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #414 on: May 11, 2019, 02:53:41 PM »
Only one goal in it. At home weve been able to grind out results. Still doable if it’s a different ref!

Different set of officials for the home tie. Graham Kavanagh is the ref.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »
We've won 2 games at home by 3 goals under Shan and have 100% record at home under him, let's hope he can keep it up.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:28 PM »
Manager thinks we were “very, very good” - head in clouds.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
It was always going to be tough against the inform team of the division but if Gayle hadn't been sent off I would fancy us.  Probably Gayle's last game for us which is disappointing.

It's up to the kids to stand up and be counted.  we have some good kids and we should have been playing them a lot more this season.

So now Shan needs to tell the kids on Tuesday "  Go on son , make yourself a hero !"

He would be back for the final. I’d fancy us to win by one at home

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
Are there grounds for us to appeal Gayle’s red?

It was a harsh decision, he’s committed, how the hell is he supposed to pull out.

Telecast I was watching had the commentators saying they thought it was harsh too.

Can we appeal?

Unfortunately not, it's 2 bookings, only a straight red can be appealed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:58:03 PM by Andio »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »
I watched it against my better judgement. Us not getting our penalty is so par for the course against this lot. Gayle was a red card waiting to happen regardless of whether he touched the keeper. We need a miracle now. And that rarely happens to us.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
We’ve just got to go out there and try and win, nothing to lose now.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
Factors you cannot blame Shan for:

1. Kanu red stopped Shan bringing Gayle off today when he should come off with 15 to go. Kanu would have been the natural choice.
2. No difference between hand in face on Gayle to the one by Gibbs that led to the goal. Why is one a free kick and the other not?
3. Penalty for push on Holgate was not given? Why?
4. Dawson had a head injury which limited our options.
5. Brunt lost his shape and got drawn to Grealish and left space at he top for the first goal.
6. Stupid lunge by Gibbs for pen.
7. Gayle is on a yellow, why is he diving in? However, I think a yellow is harsh. Even Hendrie says so

Gayle red is the killer ultimately. Would have fancied us at 2-1.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:00:24 PM by cads_ap_albion »
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2019, 02:55:29 PM »
Johansen was the pick of the midfield. Brunt waste of time. Severely limited for options for the return leg. Hopefully Dawson isn't too bad either.

frankieb

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
Brunt didn't  deliver? When has he.? Joke that we are relying  on a player like him. Joke club.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #424 on: May 11, 2019, 02:57:53 PM »
Agree re Brunt but thought Johanson was doing a good job on Grealish until he tired in the second half. Can't blame him for tiring when he was effectively doing the job of 3 in the middle since Brunt did absolutely nothing all game except take corners - not a single forward pass nor much defensively - and Murphy is as lightweight as they come. Bringing on Field or Morrison for Phillips would have been the better change in hindsight.

Yeah, you're rigjt to be fair.  Johanson kept Grealish out of the game first half.  I think Phillips also helped with his running as Grealish was constantly tracking him back. 

Shan needed to change it in the middle.