Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 717988 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3175 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
Sanchez Flores mentioned in the latest Matt Wilson update. All seems very erratic at the moment.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3176 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:16 PM »
According to Alan Nixon we will have a manager by the end of the week

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/nixon-west-brom-will-have-manager-by-end-of-the-week/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3177 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
Exactly.
How would he control discipline?
Do as I say not as I do?

By encouraging the players to learn from his mistakes.

Not saying he’s the right guy by the way, just how he could turn a negative into a positive.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3178 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
According to Alan Nixon we will have a manager by the end of the week

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/nixon-west-brom-will-have-manager-by-end-of-the-week/

Which week?

This? Next, the last in December?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3179 on: June 05, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Exactly.
How would he control discipline?
Do as I say not as I do?

Charlton had 6 red cards last season and 100 yellow cards

We had 7 red (Livermore x2, Rodriguez, Hegazi, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu) and at least 75 yellow (couldn't find confirmed details)

So not much in it.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3180 on: June 05, 2019, 09:31:54 PM »
Charlton had 6 red cards last season and 100 yellow cards

We had 7 red (Livermore x2, Rodriguez, Hegazi, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu) and at least 75 yellow (couldn't find confirmed details)

So not much in it.
According to Wikepdia, Bowyer was the first player to reach 100 yellow cards in the Premier League.

But even if he has learned from his mistakes, he's only had one year's experience as a manager, which on its own, should rule him out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:39:42 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3181 on: June 05, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
Lee Bowyer was an incredible footballer lets not forget. Mental yes. Off the pitch a time bomb? Yes. Cannot argue with the job he has done at Charlton. Would be quite surprised if he left to be honest.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3182 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:10 PM »
According to Wikepdia, Bowyer was the first player to reach 100 yellow cards in the Premier League.

But even if he has learned from his mistakes, he's only had one year's experience as a manager, which on its own, should rule him out.

I'm not advocating Bowyer in any way (at the moment i'm bored of the whole thing) but Roberto Di Matteo had one season before he came to us, his MK Dons just missed out on promotion and he got us back up in his 1st season (different times I know). Bowyer has gone one better than RDM so one season only shouldn't be a concern if he is given the job. Lampard has just completed his first season and they finished as losing semi finalists in the play offs same as us and were one of only 2 teams to do the double over us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3183 on: June 05, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »
Two new names in the frame with the proviso that the reports are credible and that the sequence of reporting is the same as the sequence events.

Slaven Bilic

Instinctively I like the idea, but I think it is necassary to distinguish between Slaven Bilic the polished TV pundit and Billic the coach. Being good on TV is a different skill set to taking an injury ravaged squad to Barnsley on a wet Tuesday night in February needing to get a result.

Looking at his track record it is fair to say it is mixed. His initial season at West Ham remains the club's best in the Premier League era but that was very much a high watermark and he then suffered the painful transition to the London Stadium which culminated in his dismissal a little over a season latter.

Bilic's sides seem free scoring enough but the goals against column seems to be a long term issue. I don't think he has a negative bone in his body so the football should be fun.

I am genuinely torn this is the sort of "name" appointment that gets fans excited but when you look at the CV's of other candidates particularly Hughton and Labbedia there is solid achievement. Whether the board and the fans remain star struck long enough to give him time is another matter.

Lee Bowyer

Setting aside the deserved bad boy image from his playng days Bowyer's debut season in management could have hardly gone better. Yet that is the problem he is still pretty inexpereinced and while the circumstances around Charlton could hardly be more trying I still don't think this is a job for a relative rookie.

In general I would agree with a lot of what Albion 79 said earlier in this thread. We are very much a club in search of a new playing identitiy and for better or worse the next appointment might be the one to shape it for the next few years at least. We need to get this right we simply cannot afford another 30 odd game appointment.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

superkev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3184 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Does anyone know if we have interviewed Nigel Pearson ?

He would be my choice
"

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3185 on: June 05, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »

In general I would agree with a lot of what Albion 79 said earlier in this thread. We are very much a club in search of a new playing identitiy and for better or worse the next appointment might be the one to shape it for the next few years at least. We need to get this right we simply cannot afford another 30 odd game appointment.

While I agree with your own & Albion 79's arguments, if the candidates who we are alleged to have had conversations with are genuine, I believe we should, by now, have identified at least one who ticks most of the boxes.
Any appointment carries a risk, so we might get it right this time or we might not, but IMO it's time now to pull the trigger.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3186 on: June 05, 2019, 11:14:07 PM »
We need a hard case, Bilic or Pearson for me.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3187 on: June 05, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »
I think he did a great job taking over for Moore. Kept us relevant upto the last couple of games.
It came down to a penalty shootout but if JRod s goal attempt at Villa Park had gone in and not been pushed onto the bar we would be looking at a huge cash windfall right now.
MY reservation with Shan getting the job is when it all fails we will lose another good coach that has been at the club for many years.
The turnover of backroom staff is as bad as sacking managers and losing half the team.
We have to bring new blood into the managers position or we will collapse completely.
Wouldn’t we have had to play derby first?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:08:30 AM by OldburyWBA »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3188 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:58 PM »
For me it has to be between Hughton and Billic

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3189 on: June 05, 2019, 11:51:09 PM »
 :D Bilic any day of the week...always liked his managing style and the way he sets his teams up.
Thought he got a raw deal at West Ham. Would be fantastic if we get him in. ;D

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3190 on: June 06, 2019, 01:16:35 AM »
The managerial hunt has been a farce, further cementing my belief that Dowling isn’t the man to reinvigorate the club. Just like in January, he is faffing and dragging his feet, and much like January, I am expecting a pick that ends up failing after a long search. A Jacob Murphy appointment.

Bilic is a great pundit but his club management career has been underwhelming. Lee Bowyer has had 1 year in management where he managed to get promotion through the playoffs. His reputation as a man should be enough to put us off.

We have been looking for a manager for 3 months now and we have gone from one manager to the next, each time going cold when we realise everyone of our first choices don’t want to operate under our budget, while being bossed around by blokes who are incompetent.

I’m dreading this next season. The rebuild job is just too big for those in charge.

Boing Boing

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3191 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:31 AM »
The whole approach to this fiasco has been scattergun at best.
Instead of identifying the type of manager they want, approaching those managers and making them feel like they were the only one the club wanted, they have grabbed at every Tom, Dick and Slaven that's popped his head up.
I remember an interview with Ashworth a few years ago. In it  he said that the Albion always had their next managerial appointment identified even when they already had a manager in situ.
We really could do with another Dan Ashworth at the real Albion.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3192 on: June 06, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »
The managerial hunt has been a farce, further cementing my belief that Dowling isn’t the man to reinvigorate the club. Just like in January, he is faffing and dragging his feet, and much like January, I am expecting a pick that ends up failing after a long search. A Jacob Murphy appointment.

Bilic is a great pundit but his club management career has been underwhelming. Lee Bowyer has had 1 year in management where he managed to get promotion through the playoffs. His reputation as a man should be enough to put us off.

We have been looking for a manager for 3 months now and we have gone from one manager to the next, each time going cold when we realise everyone of our first choices don’t want to operate under our budget, while being bossed around by blokes who are incompetent.

I’m dreading this next season. The rebuild job is just too big for those in charge.

I think we need to give his a chance to be honest. We clearly do not know what pressures he is getting from both Jenkins and China, and it is apparent that whoever he appoints needs to be on the National Minimum Wage and fund any transfer activity from a big jar of buttons...........

MAGA!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3193 on: June 06, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »
Did Pearson have any history at the club?

Can’t really remember if jenkinsnwas at the club back between 04-06 but I’m sure he probably keeps in touch with his mate Peace so if anything did happen then it may put the board off

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3194 on: June 06, 2019, 07:29:33 AM »
Pearson has said that he didn't accept the job fulltime because he was Robson's assistant and he didn't want to be disloyal. He said he would be interested in it now and he always looked out for our results.
We won't give him an interview because it's a nodding dog we want, not someone with a mind and personality of his own.
He is a loose cannon but would probably get us up.
Of all the ones mentioned i would like Bilic, but we won't get him either.
We all know they tempt us with some names then give it to someone totally underwhelming.

Moore and Shan FFS.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3195 on: June 06, 2019, 07:36:19 AM »
Pearson has said that he didn't accept the job fulltime because he was Robson's assistant and he didn't want to be disloyal. He said he would be interested in it now and he always looked out for our results.
We won't give him an interview because it's a nodding dog we want, not someone with a mind and personality of his own.
He is a loose cannon but would probably get us up.
Of all the ones mentioned i would like Bilic, but we won't get him either.
We all know they tempt us with some names then give it to someone totally underwhelming.

Moore and Shan FFS.
So why have they interviewed Bilic?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3196 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
much like politics, everyones laughing at us
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3197 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
I actually dont get the panic from some of our fans, the players dont return for another 3 weeks! I'd rather the board take there time as this will be a crucial appointment. I dont see the fuss with Billic, he lost it towards his tenure at West Ham and his record with his latest club was poor to say the least.

I'd like a Bowyer, done a great job with very limited resources at Charlton and with an owner who went AWOL and has little interest in the club.......sounds familiar????
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3198 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
I actually dont get the panic from some of our fans, the players dont return for another 3 weeks! I'd rather the board take there time as this will be a crucial appointment. I dont see the fuss with Billic, he lost it towards his tenure at West Ham and his record with his latest club was poor to say the least.

I'd like a Bowyer, done a great job with very limited resources at Charlton and with an owner who went AWOL and has little interest in the club.......sounds familiar????

I'm with you on that.
Providing they make the right appointment.
Problem is we all know it will be the cheapest appointment, unless they amaze us all!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3199 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
much like politics, everyones laughing at us
from where I’m sat nobody cares about what’s going on at WBA. Most teams have their own scandals to complain about and fear being laughed at for.