Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 83122 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Mbaye Diagne
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »
Exclusive: #wba have agreed a deal with Galatasaray to sign Mbaye Diagne - initial loan with an option to buy. Albion are now making arrangements for the Senegal striker to be flown to the UK to undergo a medical. As per @SkySportsLyall
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:38:02 AM by MarkW »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Mbaye Diange
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:48:40 AM »
Galatasary fans very unhappy. Hopefully he signs and can make the step up

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:53:00 AM »
Don't know anything about him, what's his style of play like? Is he a proper centre forward or another wide forward?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
Don't know anything about him, what's his style of play like? Is he a proper centre forward or another wide forward?

An actual striker id say looking at his stats, 51 goals in 64 games in the Turkish Super Ligue. 4 goals in 6 on loan in the Belgian top division. I dont know much about him but some have said he seems out the game most the time but has that uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time and finishes well.

Galatasary fans say he is their best striker and cant understand why he's been let go.

Edit - He's 6'4" so you would think he would suit what we need him for in general play too.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:59:10 AM by gazberg »

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
Looking at his goals, there mostly in the box. So we need to get the ball in the box to him for him to be any good.

Need a CDM and a CB too!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
An actual striker id say looking at his stats, 51 goals in 64 games in the Turkish Super Ligue. 4 goals in 6 on loan in the Belgian top division. I dont know much about him but some have said he seems out the game most the time but has that uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time and finishes well.

Galatasary fans say he is their best striker and cant understand why he's been let go.

Galatasaray have financial problems, and made a deal with UEFA regarding FFP, which runs out this summer. So I daresay they are trying to shift wages to save themselves on that front

He/him

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
Wikipedia says he's a striker. Although his scoring record is excellent, I think the obligatory "goals and skills" video on Youtube is the least impressive that I've seen and contains a lot of poor misses. Perhaps the compiler didn't make a very good job of it!

There's still a question mark over whether he'll be willing to come of course.

Link: Video

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:29 AM »
Galatasaray have financial problems, and made a deal with UEFA regarding FFP, which runs out this summer. So I daresay they are trying to shift wages to save themselves on that front

Yes i read that. Hopefully we can benefit

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »
Wikipedia says he's a striker. Although his scoring record is excellent, I think the obligatory "goals and skills" video on Youtube is the least impressive that I've seen and contains a lot of poor misses. Perhaps the compiler didn't make a very good job of it!

You've got to be worried when someone's highlight video includes a lot of poor misses.  :o

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »

Edit - He's 6'4" so you would think he would suit what we need him for in general play too.

Cheers for that, sounds like he might be able to benefit from our long throw strategy too.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »

I went on his social media yesterday and he was saying god is great, 1 life 1 chance etc so he wants to come. They are trying to get him in on a flgiht today.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »

The E&S spoke to a couple of journalists from Turkey last week and were asked:

What type of player is Diagne, how would you describe his style and character?
BG: Diagne is very dangerous in the box. He is a great finisher and can score goals with both his head and feet.

He isn’t what you’d call an all-round centre-forward.

His passing isn’t the best when it comes to linking play.

You need to get the ball into him inside the box. But when you do, he scores goals.

BCT: Diagne is a static forward who is efficient within the box.

He has a similar style to Mario Jardel – if you give the ball to him in the area he can score goals. But he is not fast.

Character wise, he can be the only one to say something is right that everyone else says is wrong or vice a versa.

Full article here for anyone interested/that missed it: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/01/21/the-inside-track-could-mbaye-diagne-be-the-man-to-fire-west-brom-to-survival/
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
“Diagne has hit red-hot form for Galatasaray this season after returning from a good spell on loan at Club Brugge last term. He’s scored 11 goals so far, mostly poacher’s finishes from inside the box.

"He is a Sam Allardyce-type of centre-forward; 6ft4, powerful and knows where the goal is, but he has also shown an ability to drop deep and link up play cleverly.

"Galatasaray supporters have been raving about him and many appear at pains to lose him judging by their reaction to this news on social media. He has become popular there this season.

"Good strikers are hard to come by in this market but Albion may have just found one to help them stay up this season. And, if they do, they will have the option to buy him.”

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
Can he defend corners?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
He can also be a 'bit Balotelli'

Went on loan to Brugge for Champions League action and won a penalty about 10 minutes into his CL debut but took the penalty and the keeper saved it. Against his managers orders so got bombed out and frozen instanty. Thats why his record was 4 goals in 6 games. They never played him after that.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 10:29:46 AM »
It’s a start unless we get some defensive cover in midfield we could have Messi & Ronaldo up top and we’d still struggle conceding 4 or 5 every game.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
It’s a start unless we get some defensive cover in midfield we could have Messi & Ronaldo up top and we’d still struggle conceding 4 or 5 every game.

Yes, this is the next most important position for me closely followed by a CB who can defend.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 10:32:32 AM »
It's a loan it doesn't matter longer term, it might work. Better than what we have? Maybe What we need? Maybe not.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
You need to get the ball into him inside the box. But when you do, he scores goals.
Apart from Pereira, we have (had?) one player in the squad who's particularly good at this - Grosicki....

All in all, Diagne's strength doesn't seem to be holding the ball up so, if he comes, he might find that not many chances come his way, as Grant has found.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »
He can also be a 'bit Balotelli'

Went on loan to Brugge for Champions League action and won a penalty about 10 minutes into his CL debut but took the penalty and the keeper saved it. Against his managers orders so got bombed out and frozen instanty. Thats why his record was 4 goals in 6 games. They never played him after that.

I thought that when I saw his playing record, very good strike rate but he doesn't hang around, that's for sure!
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 10:46:54 AM »
I thought that when I saw his playing record, very good strike rate but he doesn't hang around, that's for sure!

Yes, in an interview he said he always wants to play/try new challenges so if he isnt playing reguarly or just gets the chance at something he will go for it.

Just went on his social media and he's working out in a gym at Galatasary based on the upload time still so no plane found yet  ;D

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »
You've got to be worried when someone's highlight video includes a lot of poor misses.  :o

That's the funniest highlights real I've ever seen!!   Some terrible misses in there.  Oh well, better that than the normal show reel of brilliance followed by the inevitable disapointment.  Looks awkward to handle and a definite box player.  Twenty nine so last chance to attract a decent contract from somewhere.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »

I haven't clicked the link but from your comments it's probably the lowlights I mentioned having seen back on the transfer rumour thread. I didn't link it myself as I didn't want to worry anyone. I'm just hoping it's a compilation from when this alleged late bloomer came into blossom and we have better to look forward to....
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 11:10:36 AM »
Seems a good fit for Big Sam, but if we don't win on Saturday, it will be a pointless signing.

Can he even play on Sat? May be too little too late.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
Seems a good fit for Big Sam, but if we don't win on Saturday, it will be a pointless signing.

Can he even play on Sat? May be too little too late.

No reason why not if paperwork can be done today and medical  (and COVID) tests passed.  He's been playing this season so should be match fit. 

It does feel a bit like the horse has already bolted but guess it's a fat old survival bonus on the table.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:24:43 AM by Oldbury24 »