Author Topic: Director of Football  (Read 77773 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Director of Football
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2019, 09:23:49 PM »
And is there one shred of evidence that SB doesn't want them?

So sad that the internet allows the lunatic fringe such license to spread agendas and conspiracy theories.

I thought it was fairly clear when SB arrived that he would have the final say over (incoming) transfers.
Nope, But that doesn't seem to bother some.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:00 AM »
This is one of the most tiresome and recurring themes in English football in general and in particular at the Albion. So let's see we like Bilic but we don't like the man who hired him Dowling. Let me guess the "good" transfers are Bilic transfers and the "bad" ones are Dowling ones. Mid way through the season if the "bad" transfers turn out to be good then they will become Bilic transfers and if the "good" ones turn out bad then they will become Dowling ones.

Let's be clear about this Head Coaches don't bring a penny with them to the club it is the club's money those that control the budget control the recruitment process.  No doubt the Head Coach will have an input but ultimately it is the job of the Director of Football to manage and control the recruitment process from scouting through to ultimately sanctioning contracts etc.. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:11:20 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »
I cannot see for one second that if any of the signings were not agreed by Bilic, he would be staying quiet.

Some people just like to stir it up. Until there is any evidence then this is just a load of rubbish. I for one am quite enjoying the positive recruitment drive. Not sure if it is too early yet but I think Dowling may be getting some credit coming his way........
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »
Like I have written in another thread, I believe that Dowling and Pearce deserve some credit for the players that we have bought in so far and look likely to recruit in the next week or so.

They have completely changed the recruitment model, which doesn’t come without risk. They have tried to recruit young round pegs for round holes at very competitive fees when comparing to current market prices. And yes, there is a risk with the type of recruitments we have and will make, but there is a risk with any new player you bring in regardless of the fee, Brown Ideye (£10m ?) for one springs to mind.

It also appears that Bilić, Dowling and Pearce are on the same wave length and are working well together, let’s hope this continues for along time to come.

So, well done to all, not least for the direction you are taking the club and the recruits you have bought in so far, they all look promising additions to the squad and are better than we had as the squad was threadbare.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »
Like I have written in another thread, I believe that Dowling and Pearce deserve some credit for the players that we have bought in so far and look likely to recruit in the next week or so.

They have completely changed the recruitment model, which doesn’t come without risk. They have tried to recruit young round pegs for round holes at very competitive fees when comparing to current market prices. And yes, there is a risk with the type of recruitments we have and will make, but there is a risk with any new player you bring in regardless of the fee, Brown Ideye (£10m ?) for one springs to mind.

It also appears that Bilić, Dowling and Pearce are on the same wave length and are working well together, let’s hope this continues for along time to come.

So, well done to all, not least for the direction you are taking the club and the recruits you have bought in so far, they all look promising additions to the squad and are better than we had as the squad was threadbare.
Have to agree. I've been very critical of Jenkins and Dowling following the Moore sacking debacle but,  I too like the way we are going about recruitment, filling obvious gaps with younger players.
There won't be two lists, there will be one that pre-existed before Bilic was appointed, which he would surely have had full visibility of, and may have even crossed names off, then a list of names that he has added himself.
Whether they are good or bad, only time will tell, either way the plaudits or responsibility will have to be shared.

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
It’s quite simply that we’ve come to our senses and gone back to the basics that served us so well from around 2001.
We are targeting young, up and coming players with little time left on their contracts and getting them in for very affordable prices. We’re cherry picking lesser clubs best players (lesser in their current financial clout not referring to their stature).
The manager is then offered these players and if he absolutely doesn’t rate them we don’t proceed, if he likes what he’s shown and says ‘thanks guys, hadn’t even heard of him but I’ve read his stats and he’s quick, hard tackling and likes to get up the wing to support the attack and has a good cross on him, plus I’m after a right back, so yes please I’ll take him because I’m too busy on the training ground to learn about every player in our price range and thanks for taking the pressure of my already over stacked workload’.
If he then turns round and says ‘well thanks but I’m not a fan of this particular player but I do know of a sensational skilful, quick little midfielder who can play in the no.10 role that I’d like to deploy this year, and he happens to be from my home country, oh and Norwich from the premier league want him but if you let me speak to him I feel I could convince him to drop a division and play for me’...then I’d imagine Dowling & Jenkins would say ‘oh that’s brill Slav, go for it, after all we don’t of every little foreign gem there is out there, thank you for your suggestion ‘.
It’s teamwork, it’s trust, it’s buying younger players with sell on values and it’s helping the future and stability of our club. So give both sides their credit and be happy that for the first time since Hodgson’s days that they’re all singing from the same hymn sheet.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
Academy goalkeeping coach Mark Naylor has handed his notice in, after 20 years at the club. 5th senior member of the academy coaching staff to leave recently. Obviously as supporters we don't know the reason why but it's clear to see that something isn't right at the club, and that sort of thing usually stems from senior management at any business. Hopefully they know what needs fixing, and fix it soon.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
Academy goalkeeping coach Mark Naylor has handed his notice in, after 20 years at the club. 5th senior member of the academy coaching staff to leave recently. Obviously as supporters we don't know the reason why but it's clear to see that something isn't right at the club, and that sort of thing usually stems from senior management at any business. Hopefully they know what needs fixing, and fix it soon.

Something is not right behind the scenes. The biggest concern is the academy was and is producing players. If it was struggling then an overhaul is wise but this seems to me like there a big problems.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
Something is not right behind the scenes. The biggest concern is the academy was and is producing players. If it was struggling then an overhaul is wise but this seems to me like there a big problems.

From here it looks like the club is in disarray. Bilic is a great coach and could be the saviour in the short term but if these fools are dismantling things behind the scenes then the situation is not good.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »
"We won't re-sign Gayle as we don't want staff at the club to lose their jobs"....Cue a mass exodus of our whole academy staff :(

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
"We won't re-sign Gayle as we don't want staff at the club to lose their jobs"....Cue a mass exodus of our whole academy staff :(

Is it all forgivable then if we sign Gayle*

*Hypothetical question there, i'm not one clinging on to Gayle chances!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
Steve Hopcroft remains as head of academy recruitment for now, but in twitter he himself retweeted a very revealing tweet a few days ago questioning why so many academy coaches are leaving and for me, revealing his own feelings.

No opinions personally in the shake up of splitting 1st team players from academies (they earn too much as it is), but allienating successful academy coaches and bringing in dodgy mates like Terry is not something I want a good tech director to do.

I've made my feelings about Dowling clear in here and I can't see them changing now.
Boing Boing

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
Is it all forgivable then if we sign Gayle*

*Hypothetical question there, i'm not one clinging on to Gayle chances!

Not at all, don't think we will sign Gayle. It's just what is said from the top and what actually seems to happen don't line up...Whats going on with the academy won't be re-built overnight.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Need a striker ASAP that's one of Dowlings priorities and he needs to get it done. With regards to academy looks like its in a right mess with staff jumping ship, Jenkins needs to sort this out.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
Due to the mockery of a system, which allows bigger clubs to pretty much cherry pick our academy prospects, for next to nothing, it may be that we are reducing our funding of it and that's triggered the exodus..
With most academy players not making it at all, the best being poached and a percentage going to lower leagues, the amount that will actually play for us, or make a profit on, is probably very low.
Would be a crying shame if true but sort of understandable, especially if you are run by an accountant.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »
Due to the mockery of a system, which allows bigger clubs to pretty much cherry pick our academy prospects, for next to nothing, it may be that we are reducing our funding of it and that's triggered the exodus..
With most academy players not making it at all, the best being poached and a percentage going to lower leagues, the amount that will actually play for us, or make a profit on, is probably very low.
Would be a crying shame if true but sort of understandable, especially if you are run by an accountant.

i suspect you have nailed it, the club may see a more sustainable model being the poacher rather than the poached. As so many have said, blame the system not the club !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
Steve Hopcroft has just retweeted a bbc article about how our academy has helped us after relegation.

It's something you would expect an academy man to retweet, until you realise it is from April....

Why remind everyone now?

Something isn't right.
Boing Boing

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
The club is owned by a ghastly little man and the day to day management is handled by another horrible bloke; would you like to work for two people like that? That’s why people change their employment. Lai is the root of all evil at WBA. If Lai were to go a new owner would probably sack Jenkins........

LAI OUT (that’s me being polite, it should be LAI followed by two words).

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
Steve Hopcroft has just retweeted a bbc article about how our academy has helped us after relegation.

It's something you would expect an academy man to retweet, until you realise it is from April....

Why remind everyone now?

Something isn't right.
Can't help but fear Hopcroft will be next , personally think its time for some words from Dowling and co over this academy staff issue.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2019, 11:52:09 PM »
Can't help but fear Hopcroft will be next , personally think its time for some words from Dowling and co over this academy staff issue.

Dowling was only in his job at Forest for 7 months. Does make you wonder :(

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »

And if Mr Dowling's busy how's about a syllable or two from our designated 'Director of Communications' ? I've often wondered exactly what it is it is he communicates, how he does it (smoke signals or carrier pigeon?) and to whom.

https://www.wba.co.uk/club/board-of-directors/martin-swain/
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »
Dowling was only in his job at Forest for 7 months. Does make you wonder :(

And was about to get sacked when we paid a release fee to get him  ::)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2019, 03:44:03 PM »
i suspect you have nailed it, the club may see a more sustainable model being the poacher rather than the poached. As so many have said, blame the system not the club !

It would be disappointing, but if we did just look for young players elsewhere and scrap the youth system no one could blame us after the latest "theft" of our talent.

Maybe, if we'd done that when we were heavily linked with McGuire and Robertson, we'd have been better off.

I know it's allowed under Fifa rules, but I just don't know why our football authorities here allowed the stupid £200k compo rule, as in the long term it will discourage more clubs from having youth teams (like Brentford don't) and the English players who have to travel further may not have willing parents prepared to travel etc, etc, and they are lost to the game and potentially the England team.

At least what Man city are paying is better that the paltry £200k.

Personally, I think the rule should be much more draconian, in that yoy want our youth player, then it's £10m and a 50% sell on clause. That would stop the likes of Chelsea stockpiling them.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »

Personally, I think the rule should be much more draconian, in that yoy want our youth player, then it's £10m and a 50% sell on clause. That would stop the likes of Chelsea stockpiling them.

Unfortunately its not a simple as just changing the rules. Although the FA / Premier league / EPL can govern themselves to some extent, and the clubs could agree a higher limit, it now seems an international problem and would need Fifa to do it. Fifa are never going to set such high limits universally as there are still many leagues where those numbers would be idiotic. Its likely the bigger european clubs would resent it too, and are more likely to have big sway to lobby with Fifa.

Beyond what the football bodies can do, there also wider law. If the FA set it at £10m, i think it would be overturned by a higher power.

A young 15 year old who has never signed a contract would certainly have a strong case at law for a 10m amount placing too high a barrier to their ability to make their own choices about who they sign a contract with.

It does need to be higher than it is though, and they should set mandatory sell on percentages.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:03:24 PM by johnny Cash »

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
We have a major attitude problem in our academy, look at some of the players that have come through our academy (berahino, Brown, Sinclair etc). If downling is trying to fix that then I’m fine with that. If some of the staff don’t like it then so be it.

Shans gone as he wants to manage. Harrison’s gone to a bigger club (as much as I hate to say). Mike Scott’s gone because we didn’t offer him Harrison’s role. Mark naylor is a miss, however how many goallys have come through in the last ten years? We can’t go off the Dan ashworth model forever.

Speaks volumes for me that someone as respected as Darren fletcher was shocked at how close the youth players were to the first team, surely that should be earnt? As much as I love the fact you could have locals lads coming through and earning the club money, surely it is easier to make money off player trading. I’m not fussed if the academy closes down, I’d rather invest the £3mill/season in youngsters from the lower leagues as I think there would be a lot more return for the money that way. Of course that’s my opinion and we do have a few academy players in the first team, but realistically who’s going to feature much this season? Probably harper, maybe Edwards. Is that really worth it?