Author Topic: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.  (Read 14779 times)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

Re: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »
That last 10 minutes against Brentford.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
I mentioned the Tony pulis era earlier on but another time that sticks out is the double the dingles did over us in 95/96 I think it was. Iwan Roberts hat trick , I was a young lad at the time going to school in darlaston so I got a pretty hard time over it.

For the amount of times we’ve turned them over though I do think it must be horrible being them  ;D

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
Individual game vs QPR FA Cup semi final 1982. A match on paper we should've won. We were awful on the day and I cried my eyes out I really thought I was going to see Albion in my first cup final and in those days the FA Cup was HUGGGGGEEE!

I'm still bloody waiting.  :'(

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Mine will be at 9.45pm this Friday if we lose. ???

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
The first two that come to mind are the Derby play off final and Pompey FA Cup.

Genuinely went to both of those games believing we would win the game, came away very depressed when we didn't. As someone above mentioned, that was probably our best chance at winning the FA cup in a long time.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »
Any game we lose, any game we draw from a winning position, any game against the dingles the vile or Tottenham divers, we fail to win by 2 clear goals. Ain’t life a misery?

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2018, 05:58:41 AM »
The Pulis era without a doubt the worst time for me.
I started following Albion regularly in 1974. Had a season ticket for 25 years until moving away but still made regular trips to the hawthorns.
The only time I have ever said no more was after the 0.0 with Villa the season they got relegated. Probably the worst game of football I have ever seen. This was on the back of other awful performances. Pulis said after the Villa game well thats another point. We had just plsyed by far the worst team in the division at home and failed to register a single shot.
That was it for me. I refused to go to any more games until he was no longer involved. The day he was sacked I was actually elated thinking that things could only look up now....Oh dear...I continued my boycott in disbelief at the appointment of his replacement.
Now delighted to be able to attend all Saturday home games and enjoying it!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
Standing on the South Bank at Molineux in 1963 watching us thumped 7-0, and believe me it could have been double figures. This was a re-arranged match after the original game was abandoned.
I was also at the original game on Boxing Day when a blizzard caused the abandonment at half-time with us 2 down. To think I went home happy that day!!! 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
As some of you may note by my user-name I've been watching for a long time. Good posts here and I agree with many of them, especially having walked away from Wembley 4 times as losers. The lowest point, however, has to be watching us lose to Torquay United at Plainmoor in the 3rd tier (called League 2 for some reason). Bobby Gould was manager, our football was dreadful and we had some old timers, Graham Roberts was one, just there to pick up the money for their pension. The lowest we could sink - hopefully, ever.
And then Pullis was appointed and for the 1st time in my life I began to lose interest, not completely because that won't happen, but I lost all interest in coming to watch. And then Pardew. For goodness sake. Big Dave has faults and failings, lower division I know but isn't life better?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
The years after we were spoilt by the teams of the 70's and early 80's by God we fell a long way and we probably never get back to that level. Watching drivel severed up By Saunders, Gould, Buckley, Pulis and Pardew with a little Ray of sunshine from Ossie and Tony.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
Reading this thread has dredged up some horrible memories, Twerton, semi-final defeats, Ron Effing Saunders....but for me it has to be the Pulis era or more specifically May 15th 2016. Final match of the season, nothing to play for and he sets us up to get a home draw against Liverpool. I left that match knowing that he would never change his approach under any circumstances and I walked away from the game with the sad knowledge that I wouldn't be renewing my long held season ticket.

2 years away but back now and loving it again.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
For me, genuinely it was the Pulis/Pardew 2 year period. It put my love of the game in a coma. First time ever i stopped even checking the score.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »
First went January 1976
Fell big time for the baggies
They didn't take long to hurt me
Giles resigning aws the first kick in the teeth
Then the Ipswich semi final I cried
Fatkinson selling everyone Johnston , Martin , Cantello , Cunningham
Fatkinson joining Man U and taking Robson and Moses with him
Ron Saunders just awful
Bobby Gould absolute joke of a manager I went to Bristol Rovers that day Didn't speak all the way home I just to numbed
Nothing really bothers me now I get more upset if I see Villa win a game
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:51:35 AM by deejay »
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »
Actually reading through yeah Pulis upset me every-time He put a team out
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 05:23:24 AM »
First went January 1976
Ron Saunders just awful
Bobby Gould absolute joke of a manager I went to Bristol Rovers that day Didn't speak all the way home I just to numbed
We must be twins. However, how sweet was our equaliser last night. I scared the bejesus out the locals here in Florida. I’m still celebrating.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:26 AM »
First went January 1976
Ron Saunders just awful
That's about right but swap vile for the dog heads

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
i was devastated for days after we lost at Seal Park a couple of years ago mid-week.
Foster had a nightmare right at the end and spilled the ball, and then pulled someone down for a pen right at the end, for us to lose 2-1. i walked back to the car numb and was so down for days...
We lost 1-0 in the cup days later, but that league game really hurt.

FA Cup Semi, Derby Play off come close...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Sadly, Its now for me.
Whilst I endured and really hated the Saunders, Gould era, its honestly the Pulis era that broke me as a Baggies fan & since then I simply don’t feel any enthusiasm for the club anymore.
Its a really, really difficult thing to try to explain, but its more the memory of being in love with the the club that I feel, rather than actually Being in love with it anymore.
I have not been to a live game for a while & don’t want to anymore. Despite having nowtv, I just don’t want to watch them on tv either. I still tend to look at the results and sometimes browse the match threads on the bbc sports page, but its honestly just ‘gone’

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:35:48 PM by Manc Baggie »