Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 325810 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Claudio Yacob
« Reply #1300 on: September 06, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »
No chance he is way too slow and immobile to play in the system we now use. If he had an excellent range of passing he might get away with it but he hasn't. Good luck to him but he's surplus to requirements at the Albion. We've moved on.
Is Brunt fast and fluid? If you watch Yacob's compilation videos on Youtube from before he joined us, he had great passing skills. For whatever reason, we never saw much of that, but who's to say those skills might not have blossomed again in a new style of play? It would have been nice to see how it panned out - I certainly think he would be much better at breaking up play than Brunt and could then give simple passes to those with more creativity.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1301 on: September 06, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
Is Brunt fast and fluid? If you watch Yacob's compilation videos on Youtube from before he joined us, he had great passing skills. For whatever reason, we never saw much of that, but who's to say those skills might not have blossomed again in a new style of play? It would have been nice to see how it panned out - I certainly think he would be much better at breaking up play than Brunt and could then give simple passes to those with more creativity.

Brunt is a better passer of the ball and he has more to offer going forward in intelligence as much as anything but he shouldn't be playing there either.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1302 on: September 06, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
Was I a big fan of the Yac - yes! 

Do I think he would have improved the squad massively if he had signed his extension and stayed on - not really.

Obviously felt he could get a better financial package by leaving and knowing Forest I'm sure he has.  Does make me feel a bit better about the Hoolahan and Martin rumours.  Some Forest fans may be wondering why they are signing a 32 year old midfield player who could not even get near the first team squad of a relegated Albion side.  Could be a very shrewd signing for Forest, and we know their manager is not adverse to playing a proper defensive midfielder.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1303 on: September 06, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »
Let's not forget he didn't just play for us under Pulis, he signed at the start of Clarke's reign. He was good at the one thing and we hardly saw a single flash of a player who could look up and play a meaningful forward pass. The evidence we saw over a number of years is more meaningful than any video from Argentine football from 8 years ago.

He may do a job for Forest but that won't change that it was the right thing to part from here whether it was his own call or ours.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1304 on: September 06, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
Good luck Claudio, top man for us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1305 on: September 06, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
We have moved on. While our central midfield is far from perfect inserting Yacob into the mix in front of a back 3 does nothing for it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1306 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
The only reason I’d have Yacob in the squad now is to bring him on when 1-0 up with 10 mins to go. Loved him at times, and when playing the big teams he was perfect. But let’s be honest, he hasn’t got enough about his game for this team, he can’t pass the ball anywhere but sideways or backwards, and can’t play in a 2 man centre midfield. All the best and move on for the better.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1307 on: September 06, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
Our best Premier League midfield was a 4-2-3-1 under Clarke with Mulumbu and Yacob as the two holding midfielders. Absolute class. Some brilliant wins that season, including the 3-0 against Liverpool if I remember correctly, culminating in our highest ever Premier League finish.

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1308 on: September 07, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »
He's magic, you know, good luck Claudio. Loved his killer battling attitude, hope he gets a very warm welcome, ala Gera's return to the Hawthorns in the khaki green of Fulham, was lucky to witness that and will never forget it.
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1309 on: September 07, 2018, 12:53:41 AM »
Brunt struggles pace wise at times let alone Yacob :o , this system wouldnt suit Yacob at all I'm afraid . Loved his years with us but his passing got worse ,  simple passes a lot of the time too .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:58:33 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1310 on: September 07, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »
I think most WBA fans have admired the attitude and application that CY showed during his time at the Albion.
It is unlikely that he would be comfortable in the system that Moore and Smith have implemented.
I will be very glad to give him the welcome he deserves on his return, but trust that we will not see one of his more 'abrasive' performances. ;)

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1311 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »

I wonder if we would of offered him an extension if Barry did not active his year's extension. As much as I liked Yacob Barry does offer us more.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1312 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
I was sorry to see him go, I thought he would be ideal for the championship , always likely to pick up bookings and possible S O 's , but in terms of breaking up play he could be one of the best in the division, and while he is with Forest we will see whether or not it was an error letting him go, but thanks CY for the time you put in for us

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1313 on: September 15, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »
Yacob and Guedioura will give them an extremely solid platform in a 5 man midfield.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1314 on: November 05, 2018, 11:50:21 PM »
Forest fans absolutely love Yacob after only seeing him in one game! Big big mistake letting him go.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1315 on: November 05, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
I would suggest he was let go for financial reasons. We overspent in the final season in the Prem and some decisions had to be made out of necessity rather than choice. The recent signings of free agents seems to back this up.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1316 on: November 06, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
 Its been reported many times it was Jacobs decision to move on nothing the club could do about it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1317 on: November 06, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Its been reported many times it was Jacobs decision to move on nothing the club could do about it.

Agreed. Always said if we let Jacobs walk away we must be crackers.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1318 on: November 06, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
I still don't get the pining for him.  We have plenty of slow moving, no creativity midfielders at the moment, how on earth do people think he'd be the fix we need?  All I see is people wanting pace and creativity in midfield, that's not Yacob.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1319 on: November 06, 2018, 11:27:17 AM »
I still don't get the pining for him.  We have plenty of slow moving, no creativity midfielders at the moment, how on earth do people think he'd be the fix we need?  All I see is people wanting pace and creativity in midfield, that's not Yacob.

He does the dirty job we have no-one at present capable of doing but I do think he would have needed someone alongside him as we have no-one with the creative nouse either. Morrison does it in fits and starts but thats it.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1320 on: November 06, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »
He does the dirty job we have no-one at present capable of doing but I do think he would have needed someone alongside him as we have no-one with the creative nouse either. Morrison does it in fits and starts but thats it.

Yeah, but if I had to list the problems we have with the midfield at the moment it's not the lack of an enforcer in there that's causing us issues.  We have plenty of possession that we find difficult to move through midfield, Yacob wouldn't help with that at all. 

When we've got the ball Yacob wouldn't help us, he's at least as slow as what we've got.  His passing is even more limited.  He'll still get overrun when up against an extra man and pace in the middle of the park.

While we haven't got the ball you could (just about) argue that Yacob would offer us something, but more often than not we are conceding soft goals.  What we wouldn't need is someone giving away even more cheap free kicks.

I feel like wanting Yacob back is just a cheap stick to beat the club with for some people.  Yeah, we could get him back but we'd have to play a completely different system to what we have now and that's not going to happen.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1321 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
Yeah, but if I had to list the problems we have with the midfield at the moment it's not the lack of an enforcer in there that's causing us issues.  We have plenty of possession that we find difficult to move through midfield, Yacob wouldn't help with that at all. 

When we've got the ball Yacob wouldn't help us, he's at least as slow as what we've got.  His passing is even more limited.  He'll still get overrun when up against an extra man and pace in the middle of the park.

While we haven't got the ball you could (just about) argue that Yacob would offer us something, but more often than not we are conceding soft goals.  What we wouldn't need is someone giving away even more cheap free kicks.

I feel like wanting Yacob back is just a cheap stick to beat the club with for some people.  Yeah, we could get him back but we'd have to play a completely different system to what we have now and that's not going to happen.

His passing is better than he gets credit for to be honest. Yes he does give free kicks away but so are the others in there but he can tackle unlike the powder puff efforts we're seeing currently. Not saying he's Corberan by any means but mistake to let him go and not replace him.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1322 on: November 06, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
Agree with the sentiments above regarding needing a midfielder very good on the ball the way we are playing, which Claudio was not. He was a decent passer but we need someone who can take the ball under pressure and turn away from a man as well as being able to play penetrating balls through he middle of the pitch, which again, Claudio was not. Take the point about the solidity in there however I would argue that we play so expansively, we actually need a really mobile ball winner in there, someone to do what Kante did for Conte's Chelsea. Yacob certainly was not mobile and Livermore is not mobile enough either really. Love Claudio but not disappointed he is no longer with us.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1323 on: November 06, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
As is often the case in life we look back through rose tinted specs. I do not feel he would help at all. No pace, not a good passer and very prone to giving away free kicks in dangerous positions. We have enough guys already who fit that bill  ;)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1324 on: November 06, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »
Letting Claudio Yacob leave was the right decision. Deciding not to replace him was the wrong decision.

Quite frankly, if someone had said to me that he would not be replaced then I would not have advocated his departure.

Instead, we get the luxury of watching Chris Brunt and Jake Livermore and their continuous powder puff performances.

And to add, when in a midfield containing three in the middle, Yacob often excelled. His ability to screen his back four, win the ball and move it onto someone technically better than him is something we are crying out for.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom