Author Topic: Liam Ridgewell  (Read 162903 times)

B714LF

• Junior Baggie

Re: Liam Ridgewell
« Reply #600 on: January 31, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Sorry can't get excited about this...

PortsmouthBaggie

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #601 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
I'm happy, goodluck Liam

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #602 on: January 31, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
I'm pretty happy with this signing, I hope we see him soon.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #603 on: January 31, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Exciting isnt what id describe the signing as but he will probably be a bit more solid than Shorey. He isnt an attacking full back from what I know but he was part of a good Blues defence and their fans say he was okay up until this season.
Boing Boing

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #604 on: January 31, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Like i said yesterday , he is a solid signing .

* Can play left back and CB
* Good in the air
*We now have Shorey,Ridgewell  competing for one spot , might give Shorey a kick up the backside.
* For 1.7 million we have got a great buy , ffs cant believe some fans are moaning already what do you expect ? Puyol or Vidic.
BOING BOING

High Horse

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #605 on: January 31, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
It's what we needed. Everyone could see that the full backs are our weak spot. Sensible signing.
'Always remember that you are an Englishman and therefore have drawn first prize in the lottery of life'

'There are three things to beware of: the hoof of a horse, the horn of a bull, and the smile of an Englishman'

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #606 on: January 31, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
Can you think of any other players apart from ridgewell and phillips to play for villa blues and albion?
Baggie Terra

reiss

« Reply #607 on: January 31, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
Can you think of any other players apart from ridgewell and phillips to play for villa blues and albion?

Curtis Davies

B714LF

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #608 on: January 31, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
Like i said yesterday , he is a solid signing .

* Can play left back and CB
* Good in the air
*We now have Shorey,Ridgewell  competing for one spot , might give Shorey a kick up the backside.
* For 1.7 million we have got a great buy , ffs cant believe some fans are moaning already what do you expect ? Puyol or Vidic.

I'm not moaning. I just don't rate him. Surely others are entitled to an opinion that is not the same as all the others?

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #609 on: January 31, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
I'm not moaning. I just don't rate him. Surely others are entitled to an opinion that is not the same as all the others?

Fair enough
BOING BOING

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #610 on: January 31, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
I'm with B714LF on this 1, not excited about him and really don't rate him at all, Vile fans don't rate him and Blues fans don't rate him. How ever will give him a chance and never boo him or nout
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

ian

« Reply #611 on: January 31, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
Robert Hopkins i think

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #612 on: January 31, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
Probably not an exciting signing for me, but certainly a steady addition in an area where we need competition.

westbrom87

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #613 on: January 31, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
Yeah he's had personal problems.....he used to play for the Villa!!  If I played for the villa i'd consider that a major personal problem.

I'm quite happy with this signing.  I like Nicky Shorey, I'd quite happily see him play very single game, but its good to have the competent replacement ready should form drop.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #614 on: January 31, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »
I'm with B714LF on this 1, not excited about him and really don't rate him at all, Vile fans don't rate him and Blues fans don't rate him. How ever will give him a chance and never boo him or nout

I'm not too sure what to expect from Blues or Villa fans to be honest. Given the fact Ridgewell made the switch from Villa to Blues, my concern is whether some are incredibly bitter in their opinions. Ridgewell I thought was always a solid performer for Blues until this season where it's been obvious he's wanted out of St Andrews.

We'll find out exactly what Ridgewell is like when he starts wearing the blue and white.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #615 on: January 31, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

He seems a very Hodgson sort of signing, can be drilled in to a solid defensive player. Which to be honest is what we need. Now one flair player to fill the Gera\Brunt hole and I will be very happy!
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #616 on: January 31, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Its a reasonable signing for what we want really. Plus a lot of teams target Shorey's lack of height against us so having Ridgewell will certainly improve that. And with a bit of competition again, Shorey's form might even improve as well.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #617 on: January 31, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
Yeah he's had personal problems.....he used to play for the Villa!!  If I played for the villa i'd consider that a major personal problem.

I'm quite happy with this signing.  I like Nicky Shorey, I'd quite happily see him play very single game, but its good to have the competent replacement ready should form drop.

Im with you, i dont get people hating on Shorey, hes been a good player for us bar a few mistakes.

Ridgwell is a good squad signing

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #618 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »

Looks like Ridgewell will start then, I dont think Shoreys form can drop anymore.

Rich99

« Reply #619 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »

Hopefully he can afford a new pair of jeans now.

Well we needed cover for Shorey whose looked questionable at times this year, will judge him after giving him a chance.

If he's played under McLeish I should imagine he's used to being well drilled so may fit into Roy's style well, we shall see.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #620 on: January 31, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
Im with you, i dont get people hating on Shorey, hes been a good player for us bar a few mistakes.

Ridgwell is a good squad signing

His problem is that he's just not great. Don't get me wrong, he's not awful and is strangely our best left back in years (which says a lot) - but he's far too inconsistent. His problems are:

- Height: 5'9 is very small, especially for a footballer (See Sunderland away for goals due to his height)
- Silly errors: I know everyone makes them, but him more so than our other back three (See Chelsea and QPR away for very sloppy defending)
- Lack of pace. Yes, Reid has this too - but is often positioned slightly better than Shorey to make up for this.
- Poor in attack. Sometimes, I don't want a LB galloping forward - and when he does, he doesn't offer too much, usually resulting in a break-down in attack.

With that said, he's still ok. The above is fairly critical. One thing that Ridgewell does have is height. At 6'2 he's no midget.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #621 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
Hard to pick which pair of jeans are the worst, Ridgewell's or PO's of last season. Gee, you'd think these guys could afford jeans  ::)

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #622 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
Apparantly, jeans with rips in them cost more than un-ripped jeans..........go figure. ???

I have a pair with the a**e hanging out of them, maybe I should put them on E Bay, must be worth a mint in that condition ! ::) ::)
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Dubya BA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #623 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
Good signing, not great but good and with Roy's guidance who knows> If nothing else we need the cover. Liam is a better defender than Curtis Davis. I don't know which position he would slot into but the fact that he has utility is a plus.
Get it right because I will expose your mistakes and I will pull no punches! (although I will apologise if I get it wrong myself). DubyaBA

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #624 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »
All the best Liam! Welcome the club!