Author Topic: Incident at the M5 roundabout  (Read 3966 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Incident at the M5 roundabout
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:15:25 PM »
On the way back to the car today a fight broke out around the M5 roundabout.  As far as I can see there was an argument between a motorist and someone walking back from the match which turned nasty.  There have been a few incidents with cars pulling out from the car parks along the approach roads in recent times, and around the M5 turnings where cars drive at speed expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.  It does feel unsafe when you are walking, especially like today when it is starting to get dark.  I think we need a better steward or police presence along the road, which we seemed to have until recently? either that or better pelican crossing points.  Welcome views

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Incident at the M5 roundabout
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:45 PM »
On the way back to the car today a fight broke out around the M5 roundabout.  As far as I can see there was an argument between a motorist and someone walking back from the match which turned nasty.  There have been a few incidents with cars pulling out from the car parks along the approach roads in recent times, and around the M5 turnings where cars drive at speed expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.  It does feel unsafe when you are walking, especially like today when it is starting to get dark.  I think we need a better steward or police presence along the road, which we seemed to have until recently? either that or better pelican crossing points.  Welcome views

Quite simple, turning out of car parks pedestrians have right of way. Motorway roundabouts they don't.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
Can a roundabout be classed as (part of) a motorway

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 11:28:11 PM »

The answer applies to any roundabout. Pedestrians don't have right of way crossing exits.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:57 AM »

The answer applies to any roundabout. Pedestrians don't have right of way crossing exits.

It's not an issue about who has right of way really is it. A vehicle is a potential killing machine and you drive with caution when there are mass people around. Similarly pedestrians should show respect towards moving vehicles.

Everybody has places they want to be and if everyone shoes a bit of calm and respect there's no problems.

pensnett stu

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:26 PM »
Should be a pelican crossing on the roundabout crossing from the Birmingham road over the motorway,motorists seem to speed up instead of slowing down, saying that the people crossing over follow one another like lemmings instead of looking to see what's coming. I said to my son someone's going to be killed one day, same as cars on the carparks before and after the match

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »

Did you collect tokens off the back of a packet of corn flakes for your driving licence?

Side roads
Rule 170 of the Highway Code advises that if a pedestrian has already started to cross the side road into which you’re turning from a main road, you must give way to them.

In this case the main road is the Island and the slip road is the side road. As soon as someone starts crossing the road they have right of way. Good luck arguing anything else in court.

Or even try:

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:50:31 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »

Did you collect tokens off the back of a packet of corn flakes for your driving licence?

Side roads
Rule 170 of the Highway Code advises that if a pedestrian has already started to cross the side road into which you’re turning from a main road, you must give way to them.

In this case the main road is the Island and the slip road is the side road. As soon as someone starts crossing the road they have right of way. Good luck arguing anything else in court.

Or even try:

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads

Your definition of a side road is wrong in this case. By all means get yourself killed 🤷‍♂️

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »

Your definition of a side road is wrong in this case. By all means get yourself killed 🤷‍♂️

Drivers have a heavy duty of care to vulnerable road users in all cases, regardless of the 'min my car I'm 'ard view many drivers have.

Clearly self-preservation comes into play. But you change the straw man argument to fit your view when your proven wrong as usual.

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
Drivers have a heavy duty of care to vulnerable road users in all cases, regardless of the 'min my car I'm 'ard view many drivers have.

Clearly self-preservation comes into play. But you change the straw man argument to fit your view when your proven wrong as usual.

Halfords Lane is a side road. The M5 Slip roads are not. This is not difficult stuff.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 11:52:26 PM »
Cut the personal digs please, its a part of our forum rules.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 05:00:55 AM »

Technically and legally, yes. (Example 1, Example 2). It's very rare though, requires it to only be involving motorways, for instance. Our one is not.

A good way to think about this is whether it has walking pathways; what's the background colour of the signs; could you legally cycle on here*, etc.
*While you can cycle on this roundabout and the A41, I would never ever ever recommend it.

So, if you walk a bit down the slip road (and past the 'motorway end' sign), even being there, let alone crossing the road, would be a criminal offence (excepting emergencies or exceptional circumstances).

Regarding pedestrians on 'regular' roundabouts, much as I loathe M5J1, they're free to attempt to cross any part of this just as they could the main road itself - the same sets of regulations apply. Drivers, given the opportunity, have to yield to the more vulnerable user.
There's no criminal offence for any party here, and so we go towards civil law and proof 'on the balance of probabilities'. While normally the driver usually has less to lose and a higher blame, people crossing here really do start to lose the argument to defend what they're doing as safe...

However, this is a product of having an attitude of 'common sense' and is also the reason we don't have any nanny-state jaywalking laws unlike, for instance, the USA. Right of way means nowt when you're flat as a pancake.
Though, in my view, it really should be the council (or whoever is in charge of that road) to definitively sort this one out one way or another before they eventually become liable for incidents due to multiple occurrences...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:05:40 AM by Political Cake »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion