Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 599092 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Sam Allardyce
« on: December 16, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-appoint-sam-allardyce

Official thread following his appointment
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »
If we lose to Villa do we get to call for his head?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:32:24 PM »

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
I'll give him a chance, but I really think I'm done with it all now!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »
Will work in his favour the fans aren't around for now. Couple of decent wins and people will soon be won round.

Reminds me very much of us getting Hodgson back in 2011. Glamourous no, but still not as bad as Pulis. His sides are direct but his sides have always had some flair. Certainly I can't imagine we'll much worse attacking wise than we are right now. Hopefully a lot better defensively.

I like Bilic very much as a person but he was clearly going to get us relegated. Decent chance that still happens given the situation we're in, but Allardyce is one if not the only option who could keep such a limited side up. Only by staying up for a couple of seasons can we build an actually premier league quality side. Something we're a long way from at the moment.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »
If he does a number on the vile then I suspect that many will think that he is the new messiah............

Not happy but its done, so all we can do is get behind the team.
MAGA!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
None of this is brilliant by any means but i feel that we have more chance of staying up under Big Sam than Bilic, I saw nothing from Bilic to say that we had any chance whatsoever..

It’s not going to be pretty but unfortunately that’s more down to our lack of finances and maybe a more rigid style is the only chance we have. Also I would say that Big Sams style is more of a Hodgson style more than a Pulis.

Feel sorry for Bilic but at the end of the day it’s a results business but there is a way to conduct business and I believe Albion have done this poorly.

For the first time I actually think we could have a go at staying up and be there or there about come May

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
Will work in his favour the fans aren't around for now. Couple of decent wins and people will soon be won round.

Reminds me very much of us getting Hodgson back in 2011. Glamourous no, but still not as bad as Pulis. His sides are direct but his sides have always had some flair. Certainly I can't imagine we'll much worse attacking wise than we are right now. Hopefully a lot better defensively.

I like Bilic very much as a person but he was clearly going to get us relegated. Decent chance that still happens given the situation we're in, but Allardyce is one if not the only option who could keep such a limited side up. Only by staying up for a couple of seasons can we build an actually premier league quality side. Something we're a long way from at the moment.

Thats a good point re Hodgson. He's looked back on very fondly but this board wasnt happy when he was appointed... If I remember correctly. Time will tell. At least I know we won't limp and Potter into relegation now

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
Welcome to the club Sam. Not my first choice but i genuinely believe you have a chance of keeping us up.

If i win in the ticket ballot for the Villa game i'll be there offering full support.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »
Not happy at all. We need Lai and his cronies gone ASAP

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
FFS Welcome Fat Sam Good luck mate I'll back him but if we just try to do Pulis I won't If I started seeing 6 at the back 3 right in front of them and 1 Striker located on the Brummie Road then I'll give up hope
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »

He could win the league and cup double and I still wouldn't be won round. The man is a   slug.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »
Thats a good point re Hodgson. He's looked back on very fondly but this board wasnt happy when he was appointed... If I remember correctly. Time will tell. At least I know we won't limp and Potter into relegation now

Albion fans are not known for their positivity let's be honest. Some would rather see the club nosedive playing pretty football or being in the top half of the EFL with little thought to the clubs long term sustainability just so long as they are happy.

Lai is NOT my favourite person by a long long way but WBA will exist or must exist rather, long after he, i and you are gone.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »
No patience for this whatsoever. I will need a lot of convincing.

Three points for me a must on Sunday; then I'll rethink my stance.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »
Ashamed of WBA FC for the first time in my life
Disgraceful appointment
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:21 PM »
I am as angry as the day Irvine was appointed.  >:(
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
Disgraceful!

I have been a supporter of West Bromwich Albion since the 1950’s but I refuse to spend a single penny at my Club until the ownership have long gone.

The behaviour of the management and owners is so very disgusting and on top of that, they go and appoint Allardyce who is a dinosaur with his Pulis type tactics.

A swift return to the Championship. A sad day.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:14:55 AM by Hull Baggie »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
I am as angry as the day Irvine was appointed.  >:(

How?

We got a bloke who has made a living out of these situations, totally opposite to Irvine. If you’re happy to go down without a whimper like we have seen was going to happen the last 3 months then fair enough.

Now we are here I’d rather have a go at it

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 05:48:33 PM »
Allardyce isn’t like Pulis, more of a Hodgson type. He didn’t do too bad.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
My mate an Ipswich fan sent me this, sums it up, the club is a joke

Congratulations on your new WBA appointment.....that is funny!

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
My mate an Ipswich fan sent me this, sums it up, the club is a joke

Congratulations on your new WBA appointment.....that is funny!

Don’t think an Ipswich fan can be one to comment to be honest ;D

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »
Can anyone remember us binning a manager and announcing the replacement on the same day before?

One thing you you can say about this is at least they haven't dithered about for weeks with a hapless caretaker. Still I guess some will still complain but hey ho, might as well make the best of it. I'm no huge fan but it really could have been worse.
Astle is the King

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
It will at least be interesting to see what sort of side SA comes up with out of our present squad.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »
A desperate and retrograde panic measure from a clueless and visionless owner/Board who have no idea how to successfully run a football club and just make up strategies on the hoof.

Stay up at any cost? I'd rather we went down if it helps to perpetuate the ultimate demise of football dinosaurs. Staying up this season would just be delaying the inevitable with the clowns we have running the club anyway.

Once again my club has been taken away from me for awhile, just like the day Pulis arrived.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
I don’t think he’s very much like Pulis at all. He’s certainly a pragmatist, but a much more progressive coach. I don’t understand the hate and it won’t help our club.

My concerns are about his age (past his sell-by date?), his time out of the game, his hunger for the fight and above all the very poor material he has to work with.

He has wrongly and lazily been labelled another Pulis or a “dinosaur” imho when his record and reputation within the game is of a thoughtful and capable coach.

Albion were going once way with Bilic and it’s the right decision in my view to roll the dice. He’s probably the best they could do in the circumstances, but if he manages to fashion a team good enough from what we have I will be mightily surprised and hugely impressed (and grateful).

His first job was at Albion (sacked with Talbot) and this could be his last. Let’s hope it’s a great success.