Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164752 times)

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #950 on: February 14, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
If you sack a manager/couch you can keep them on gardening leave until their contract is up so I can't see how we would voluntarily permit someone to buy up Pulis' contract when we have no intention of letting him go.  Media nonsense. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
There's not much around, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Villa hadn't made an enquiry. The one that gives me the greatest concern is QPR: who is Tony Fernades' dream manager? They would have the money to buy players in the summer, & Gerry Francis is an ex QPR player.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: February 14, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
There's not much around, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Villa hadn't made an enquiry. The one that gives me the greatest concern is QPR: who is Tony Fernades' dream manager? They would have the money to buy players in the summer, & Gerry Francis is an ex QPR player.

They've appointed the caretaker manager for the rest of the season. This Pulis to villa talk is merely written by the London press to unsettle us today.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: February 14, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
They've appointed the caretaker manager for the rest of the season. This Pulis to villa talk is merely written by the London press to unsettle us today.

Correct, & I can't see Pulis leaving now, but I could see him going to QPR in the summer if they stayed up. Fernades, has an agreement with somebody to take over at the end of the season.
As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Villa had made an enquiry: not just about Pulis, but other Managers also, they will be shopping around, as will Leicester.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #954 on: February 14, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »
Correct, & I can't see Pulis leaving now, but I could see him going to QPR in the summer if they stayed up. Fernades, has an agreement with somebody to take over at the end of the season.
As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Villa had made an enquiry: not just about Pulis, but other Managers also, they will be shopping around, as will Leicester.

Not even worth speculating about. QPR don't even know what division they will be in next season.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #955 on: February 14, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
"Tony Pulis. I played under him at Portsmouth so I know how he likes to play. It's not complicated - get the ball down and pass it." - Steve Claridge

Suggests when we hoof it, its our players lack of confidence rather than instructions
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #956 on: February 14, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
Claridge has changed his tune, he didn't have a good word to say about him while he was there. Probably because he was after the job himself!

He ended up replacing Pulis as manager and lasted half as long as him. With a much worse record.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #957 on: February 14, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
What a performance today,our best for several years and a delight to watch
What was noteable for me was that every one of those players was available to a Alan Irvine and a supposedly great coach would easily have got them relegated
It has taken a decent manager 6 weeks to turn them into a team
Lesson learnt hopefully for Jeremy Peace than you need managers !!!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #958 on: February 14, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
The longer Pulis has with the group the more they will improve, I expect comfortable top 12 and dream of a cup final.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #959 on: February 14, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
Long ball football? I saw none of that today. It was a great performance. He has worked wonders with Brown, Morrison has improved his game a lot more over the last couple of matches. We have more goals in us and have picked up five clean sheets since Pulis has been in charge.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #960 on: February 14, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
Long ball football? I saw none of that today. It was a great performance. He has worked wonders with Brown, Morrison has improved his game a lot more over the last couple of matches. We have more goals in us and have picked up five clean sheets since Pulis has been in charge.
But look how he played his sides at Stoke!!  Witter...witter !! ;D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #961 on: February 14, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
But look how he played his sides at Stoke!!  Witter...witter !! ;D

Glos you were a huge Irvine fan
You must by now see that your loyalties were totally misplaced and Pulis has taken only 6 weeks to sort the same players that Irvine used into a proper team
You need to stop trying to justify your misplaced loyalty to that Bufoon Irvine and admit that you could not have been more wrong

Oldbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #962 on: February 14, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
To me TP have been a revelation, totally different to what I expected when he was appointed, although to be honest I couldn't have cared less if it was hoofball as long as we stayed up. After the tactically inept AI, watching the games under TP has been a pleasure as I can now see a pattern in our play whereas before it was like watching an under 5's kick about in the park. Whether it is TP alone or the input of ideas from him and a fresh coaching team it appears to be working, so well done JP for both the change in manager and the change in coaching staff. I now look forward to games with hope in my heart rather than despair.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #963 on: February 14, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
Pulis knows how to win games and it simply stems from hard work from each and every player

He wants to win games but more importantly he doesn't want to lose them and if that means sacrificing a bit of attacking flair then so be it as long as we stay in the PL - that's what it is ALL about these days

But as we saw today his teams can be attractive to watch - thought we looked a threat every time we went forward today and 6 or 7 would not have flattered us at all - one of the best performances I have seen for a very long time

Three cheers for "Pulisball"   ;D
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: February 14, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
I was always anti-Pulis because of the way Stoke played, and because I believe that Albion are a club with a footballing tradition. However....I have seen very little 'hoofball' since he has been at West Brom. And maybe..he has changed his football philosophy a bit, and why shouldn't people learn and develop their original ideas. Today against West Ham, was an excellent all round performance, that was every bit as entertaining as anything I have seen over the last few years. 
Of course, you can only play to the strengths of the players at your disposal, something I have heard TP say. (Pity by the way that it is usually used as an excuse to play unattractive football). However, on this occasion maybe our players were taught good technical skills, and it just needed someone like TP to add greater discipline and organisation. When you look at the starting XI against West Ham, none of these were actually Pulis signings. So like alot of pundits used to say, we have a good set of players. But clearly there was some ingredient lacking under Irvine, that  TP has brought in.
I must say I am also pleasantly surprised by the players TP has brought in as both Fletcher and McMannaman are skilful creative players.
Therefore, the TP we have is not the one I thought we would get and I hope we get more of the same.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #965 on: February 14, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
Glos you were a huge Irvine fan
You must by now see that your loyalties were totally misplaced and Pulis has taken only 6 weeks to sort the same players that Irvine used into a proper team
You need to stop trying to justify your misplaced loyalty to that Bufoon Irvine and admit that you could not have been more wrong
Rubbish.
No, I supported him as he was our mgr. I never diss managers in site.As like to give a chance.
I would have taken TP 5  years ago.
Does that clear it up for ya?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: February 15, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
Pulis is God, keeps us up he should get manager of the season(again) and a slice of the new pie
Pulis is no God. Pulis has got results with some poor performances along the way which has bred some confidence in a group of players who were always capable of playing football.  He has also got all the crowd back on side which makes it easier for the players on the pitch. He does have his hands tied in some respects by the players that he has available to him, they almost pick themselves, and the long term future under Pulis (and style) will be interesting.  I also think we have been fortunate in our run of fixtures under him so far. The form of West Ham coming into the game yesterday was not the same as when we played them earlier in the season and losing Carroll and two first choice centre halves will have had an impact, but you still have to win these matches and we did comfortably.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #967 on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
Nobody is God, or perfect.

Just the fact that Pulis was seriously considering signing Carlton Cole tells me we need to get in someone competent at scouting targets this summer, and not let TP anywhere near our transfer kitty without adult supervision.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #968 on: February 15, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »
The West Ham and Swansea games were good to watch good football and we made it very comfortable for ourselves. We have also managed to get results in tight games such as Hull, Birmingham and at Everton which is a sign that if needs must we can grind out a result but also play good easy on the eye football like Yetserday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #969 on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
I can't believe some peoples prejudice against Pulis. The play last night didn't fit the perceived stereotype  that some people have so now we have to judge him next year when he might play that way. Ok lets swap Pulis for Lambert he plays a passing game and not hoofball. Oh yes and give them Fletcher as well because he doesn't fit the Pulis stereotype either.
Good points raised he was on MOTD last night saying how Albion have different strengths to Stoke and Palace and its all about finding the system to suit the players.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #970 on: February 15, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
Nobody is God, or perfect.

Just the fact that Pulis was seriously considering signing Carlton Cole tells me we need to get in someone competent at scouting targets this summer, and not let TP anywhere near our transfer kitty without adult supervision.

Don't let him sign a big lump up front and we will be all right. In general I would not rush to judge a manager either way. It would be nice to have one for more than a season so we can look at his impact in the round. At the moment we are have benefited from a short term uplift but Head Coaches need to be judged over the long term.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #971 on: February 15, 2015, 11:18:52 AM »
Isn't the real reason some of us don't like Pulis is his Stoke side kept beating us, whether or not we played better or looked better, or had 90% of the play.

They kept winning by whatever means it took. if you keep losing you get to eventually dislike the winner just because they keep winning no matter what you do. We saw Stoke as upstarts being promoted, playing a style of football we didn't like, having more money than us, buying players we wanted (just like Newcastle, Hull, West Ham and now Crystal Palace, Southampton etc.0

Maybe we were a little bit jealous and peeved.

It's the past lets get over it and support our HBW and the team ;)

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #972 on: February 15, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
The last two and a half matches show that TP is totally versatile with his style of play. We have been an absolute joy to watch the last two games, some of the best flowing football seen for many a year. 6 goals scored in two games and NOT ONE from a set piece! We haven't got the typical Pulis type players at the club so Pulis has had to adapt his own methods, that was never going to happen overnight, and yet within 6 weeks he has now found the shape he wants and it's already paying dividends. That shows the pure class of the man as a manager, and more importantly as a 'man-manager'. Brunt has been a revelation at left back, a total natural. He has got more time on the ball and his ability to pick a pass is a blessing for a full back. Dawson also looks very comfortable and relishing in his freedom to push on too Morrison looks a different player, as obviously does Bobby and Berahino looks interested and enjoying himself at last!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #973 on: February 15, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
Early days but maybe he doesn't want to build another Stoke ? , he did tour a lot of clubs watching all sorts of things during his break from football . It could be we are wrong to assume on Pulis and his plans for us although I enjoyed his Palace side much more than Stoke.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #974 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:08 AM »
Isn't the real reason some of us don't like Pulis is his Stoke side kept beating us, whether or not we played better or looked better, or had 90% of the play.

They kept winning by whatever means it took. if you keep losing you get to eventually dislike the winner just because they keep winning no matter what you do. We saw Stoke as upstarts being promoted, playing a style of football we didn't like, having more money than us, buying players we wanted (just like Newcastle, Hull, West Ham and now Crystal Palace, Southampton etc.0

Maybe we were a little bit jealous and peeved.

It's the past lets get over it and support our HBW and the team ;)
I don't know if some people don't like TP because of this but hopefully we might become their bogey team ::)