Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164919 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #775 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »
If your content to watch what we've been served every game since the turn of the year then please carry on.
Have you seen anything in those games to get you off your seat.
We went to Everton and parked the bus, we can't do that every week.
On Saturday after the initial 10 minutes we proved we could compete for the next 20, then couldn't be arsed after that.
I know its easy to support a winning team but we've been fed less than mediocrity now for too long.
Lescott may have been a left back but a blind man on a galloping horse could see he can't play there now.
He's not got the mobility, and that was plain for all to see against Birmingham and to play him there against Spurs shows utter disrespect to a quality player in my mind.
Poco may not be everyone cup of tea but he's the best left back we've got at the club so should be played there.
If he's not going to play Poco he should be putting Brunt in there and play Sess in front
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:09:38 PM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #776 on: February 02, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
cant wait until he leaves at the end of the season

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #777 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
Like a cup run and five games unbeaten before losing to a top six team who have spent a fortune assembling their team?

This knee jerk reaction to one defeat is absolutely pathetic. Time to judge is at the end of the season and even then it's all about results, not performances.

As for the moans about Lescott at left back, did he not win a title playing there for Manchester City? All of this because fans' favourite Pocognoli who jumps into tackles and beats his chest on the pitch has been dropped, despite not actually being that good. Paul Robinson all over again.
I can only assume you haven't watched the last 2 games with lescott at leftback,even he has said he is not comfortable there

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #778 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Lescott has been one of our best players this season, however playing him at left back is such as strange choice. I wasn't a fan of Pulis a few years ago however he has grown on me. I think he will do a great job for us.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #779 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
10 games if you go out for a draw = 10 points

10 games if you go for the win, you can win 4 and lose 6 it still = 12 points.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #780 on: February 02, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
10 games if you go out for a draw = 10 points

10 games if you go for the win, you can win 4 and lose 6 it still = 12 points.

Still probably not enough to keep us up
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #781 on: February 02, 2015, 10:27:54 PM »
Still probably not enough to keep us up

Was just an example.

He/him

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
As for the moans about Lescott at left back, did he not win a title playing there for Manchester City?

No.
"This crack is really moreish."

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #783 on: February 02, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
I will give TP time which is only fair Rome wasnt built in a day.I would be worried if he was satisfied with the team but the guy constantly states the team isnt good enough and needs better players.

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #784 on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:07 PM »
I will give TP time which is only fair Rome wasnt built in a day.I would be worried if he was satisfied with the team but the guy constantly states the team isnt good enough and needs better players.
weve got good players but he isnt playing them, cancelled there loans and playing a negative formation

reynirver

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #785 on: February 03, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
maybe Pulis has balls to drop some old guard to give a youngster a chancw We can loan them out all we want but they will never be able to prove wether they are good enough if they dont get the chance here. We must have one pacey winger in our U21. If you look at how Brunt is playing it doesnt even matter if he is rubbish or not.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #786 on: February 03, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
I think his plan in this window was fairly simple; bring Olsson in to act as a pacey wing-back (for some reason he is oblivious to Pocognoli which is quite annoying). Anyway, this would add an element of counter-attacking quality which he's also trying to bring via Macmanaman who is meant to run at people and get forward.
Darren Fletcher is meant to be an upgrade on the midfielder who partners Yacob (Morrison/Dorrans/Gardner) - I assume he will be an improvement as they are very ordinary, so you can expect better passing options and accuracy with Fletcher involved (TP has been banging on about maintaining possession; think of Fletcher as a poor mans Carrick if you will, this should help us out big time)
Then Cole was a like-for-like replacement of Ideye, who has a better scoring record in England, albeit he would still mostly be a substitute, so not all is lost there.

I think IF Pulis can recognise Pocognoli/Gamboa's pace then he may be on to something and our fortunes will change, but it will be a bit harder now.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #787 on: February 03, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
We'll see what Pulis is really made of now. An unbalanced squad not suited to his normal game of pace and power. Hopefully he shows us why he got manager of the year last year!?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #788 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about what happened (or, more importantly, what didn't happen) in the transfer window. He seems to have been having a lie-in this morning, as there have been no comments from him about anything at all so far today, but hopefully he'll surface this afternoon!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #789 on: February 03, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »
considering his options i would think.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #790 on: February 03, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
'Arry's just resigned from QPR, could TP be poached by Tony F?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #791 on: February 03, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »

No but since he's come in Pulis has basically found a team in a similar state to Baghdad and then gone around kicking down any building that was still standing.

I think the players we have are good enough to keep us up, evidenced by Irvine managing to keep us out the bottom 3. A half decent managr should manage it fairly comfortably.

I also think the squad now is pretty suited to Pulisball and that is what we will see from now on. As for unbalanced, if he had kept Varela/added a left winger and played the players in there best position I would argue our strongest 11 would have a really nice balance to it ironically containing plenty of power, pace and defensive steel which is what Pulis supposedly favours (although I'm yet to see any evidence that this is his preference)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #792 on: February 03, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
'Arry's just resigned from QPR, could TP be poached by Tony F?

great idea :o
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #793 on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:03 PM »
Great idea......we could bring Downing back and we could set fire to the BRE and commit mass suicide.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Would love to know what's gone on behind the scenes this window. It's no secret that Pulis wanted another striker and another wide player.
Did he want Gestede and Sakho or similar ? Seems highly possible and if not those then similar players.
If he did, what happened ? Was it the case they were viewed as too expensive ?

If it was the case that they were valued at 1 or even 2 million more than we wanted to give, should we have had a bite on the bullet and gone ahead ? I suspect Pulis would have been happier and we'd have had more options in the squad.

Pulis is no doubt on a decent bonus if he keeps us up and that will be his focus. Given the money involved just to be in next years prem then no doubt staying up is JPs main focus also.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #795 on: February 03, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
I don't think he wanted a starting left winger. A striker definitely and an alternative (sub) winger possibly.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #796 on: February 04, 2015, 01:32:29 AM »
No but since he's come in Pulis has basically found a team in a similar state to Baghdad and then gone around kicking down any building that was still standing.

I think the players we have are good enough to keep us up, evidenced by Irvine managing to keep us out the bottom 3. A half decent managr should manage it fairly comfortably.

I also think the squad now is pretty suited to Pulisball and that is what we will see from now on. As for unbalanced, if he had kept Varela/added a left winger and played the players in there best position I would argue our strongest 11 would have a really nice balance to it ironically containing plenty of power, pace and defensive steel which is what Pulis supposedly favours (although I'm yet to see any evidence that this is his preference)
Fair enough,TBH I think he wanted us to play like Palace not Pulisball,which is lightyears better than the Stoke style.Thats whyhe kept refering to players like Puncheon and Bolasie who has good skill and pace to stretch the opposing defences.Even the way he used Jerome although a battering ram used his pace to lead their line to that effect and thats the role he wanted Cole to play.Anichibe too unfit/immobile for that role.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:35:19 AM by Pulisisabaggie »

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #797 on: February 04, 2015, 12:53:07 PM »
Looking at the late attempts at recruitment its obvious Pulis was targetting a spine of the team - leader up front, leader in the middle and possible strengthening at the back. This goes against all the terrace managers who wished to replace our entire midfield - cue the vitriol from the stands in the coming weeks.
Maybe, just maybe Pulis trusts his lieutenants on the pitch and needs to add some generals to manipulate how he wants to play - lets hope this is the case - and can the supporters just support instead of becoming FLM recruits from the stands.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: February 04, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
I've seen no comments from TP regarding our transfer activities (or lack of them). Do you think he is still stewing? He can't be happy at all surely.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #799 on: February 04, 2015, 03:38:01 PM »
Looking at the late attempts at recruitment its obvious Pulis was targetting a spine of the team - leader up front, leader in the middle and possible strengthening at the back. This goes against all the terrace managers who wished to replace our entire midfield - cue the vitriol from the stands in the coming weeks.
Maybe, just maybe Pulis trusts his lieutenants on the pitch and needs to add some generals to manipulate how he wants to play - lets hope this is the case - and can the supporters just support instead of becoming FLM recruits from the stands.

Well he's signed 2 new midfielders to add to Yacob (who I think most would agree is a shoe in at present). Had he signed Olsson then maybe he'd have used him wide midfield. After all he has always played with 2 quick wingers. I would say he's attempted to replace most of the midfield. Then again I can't comment as I don't have a coaching badge.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club