Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5135109 times)

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #625 on: January 26, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »
I was in no way trying to belittle Astle1968's posts,I even said it was good articulate,healthy debate. I always enjoy reading Astle1968's posts,as he says himself, it is exactly what a forum should be for. I should have used the word 'opinion' rather than 'agenda', I grant you that. I fully appreciate what Astle1968 is saying, I was just offering another opinion and other thoughts.

Fair enough but this is the post I was referring to:

"Anyone can twist and manipulate statistics to fit whatever point of view they have or stance they are taking. It is obvious that Astle1968 doesn't like or rate Tony Pulis so he is spending his time digging up facts to fit his own agenda on this subject. The fact of the matter is who else could the Albion have employed to almost guarantee our Premier League survival? Nobody. End of chat".
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #626 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
how are people trying to compare pulis to hodgson, there at totally different levels

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #627 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
Fair points mentioned there. The only thing I can think of for an answer to lack of compromise is the worry that any tinkering of style of play is going to take a number of weeks to implement. It is far easier and quicker to implement a more 'basic' style such as we are playing now than it is to get the team playing with quicker,more precise attacking methods. I think we have gone for an ultra safety first approach purely because JP didn't want to take a risk with the danger of us running out of time if results didn't immediately improve.

I think you're spot on with those thoughts Nathan.

The TV revenue is about to go through the roof. The disparity between the Premier League and the Championship will be ridiculous. In his first interviews Pulis kept reiterating how it's going to be his toughest job. Reiterating the need to hit the ground running and bank some wins as soon as possible.

His best way to bank the points? Concede no goals.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: January 26, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
Astle, I'm sure Pulis's stats from last season are better, and in my view it's much less bias to view him on his last job, as it's a closer time period and therefore more relevant, you may as well look up his stats for his other clubs if going down the Stoke route.

His style of play is similar to Hodgsons, you have pointed out that at Stoke he scored less and it was even more 'dull' than Hodgson and I would agree, but it still makes it similar; they both thrive on set pieces at both ends, keeping it tight etc.

Pulis will do fine here, a lot of people said he left Stoke in a mess when he left but Mark Hughes made it look easy...

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #629 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
A negative view born of educated guess work seems to be that we will have to support the Albion whilst holding our noses to the stench of boring football Pulis promotes.
We haven’t even stayed up yet, but that with all the other predictions are seemingly inevitable. Pulis even hasn’t bought any players yet, (maybe McManaman – is he the typical Pulis Neanderthal or Southampton esq I don’t know)
Perhaps we should get down the charity shops now to get our bed sheets ready for August so after he keeps us up we can demonstrate “Pulis Out” banners on the opening game of the new season.
Here’s another educated guess after we have sacked Pulis for boring us to survival. We get a progressive attacking manager who gets us to 8th place with sparkling football and a big club comes and takes him and 4 of our best players.
My point is I just don’t see the point of being so negative about something’s that hasn’t even happened yet. At what point should we start booing our monotonous football before or after we have stayed up because if we adopt such a pessimistic view of our clubs future we might as well start booing Pulis at the Spurs game

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #630 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
Astle, I'm sure Pulis's stats from last season are better, and in my view it's much less bias to view him on his last job, as it's a closer time period and therefore more relevant, you may as well look up his stats for his other clubs if going down the Stoke route.

His style of play is similar to Hodgsons, you have pointed out that at Stoke he scored less and it was even more 'dull' than Hodgson and I would agree, but it still makes it similar; they both thrive on set pieces at both ends, keeping it tight etc.

Pulis will do fine here, a lot of people said he left Stoke in a mess when he left but Mark Hughes made it look easy...

I've posted his Palace stats elsewhere and they are virtually identical. Id say the Stoke ones hold more weight as that was a team he built in his own image whereas Palace he was left to work more or less with what he inherited. I actually dont think the stuff palace played was quite as bad as at stoke, but it still wasn't pretty to watch.

Go and look at his Stoke side when they first came up, the side he left or the one he took over at palace and all the stats like shots, possesion, dribbles, goals, pass etc are pretty much the same each season.

I hope Im wrong but theres nothing to suggest he's going to change his style now. Its like Anichebe, he 'could' score 10 goals between now and May, saying he would or wouldnt is nothing more than educated guess work, but have a look at the last 6 years of his career and its a pretty safe bet to say he wont.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »
It's not me you have to convince, I will happy with mid-table obscurity even if we play 'ugly' football, I admire his defensive game even if most don't.

However, I'd also in the 4 games (3 competitive) that I've seen at West Brom so far, there are lots of similarities between him and Hodgson whilst he was here.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #632 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
Did we ever have a game under Hodgson where we failed to get a single shot on target?  (If we did it was clearly a forgettable match!)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #633 on: January 26, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
what hodgson played much better football than tony pulis does, you dont manage teams like inter milan, england, liverpool and guide fulham to the latter stages of the uefa cup, if you just hoof it like pulis does

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #634 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
What is up with all this statistics BS?
The only statistics I care about is how many points we get between now and the end of the season. It makes no difference what Tony Pulis accomplished at other teams, with different players and with more time to make a difference.
I'll break it down for all these stats people.... we haven't lost yet and are conceding fewer goals. Did I mention we have picked up some points and actually look like the team isn't about to roll over at the start of every game.
Lets make our opinions known when he's had more than two weeks to make changes. Anyone who is here criticizing the team actually getting some points and comparing it to previous seasons with other clubs needs to take a break from this forum. I; and I suspect many others; do not need this negative view of everything.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #635 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
Did we ever have a game under Hodgson where we failed to get a single shot on target?  (If we did it was clearly a forgettable match!)

It might have been against Everton on New Years Day. Victor Anichebe scored the winner.

Funnily enough under Pulis, another game where we didn't manage a single shot on target was also against Everton.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #636 on: January 26, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
Anyone who is here criticizing the team actually getting some points and comparing it to previous seasons with other clubs needs to take a break from this forum. I; and I suspect many others; do not need this negative view of everything.

Nobody needs to take a break from the forum for posting their well reasoned opinions which might differ to somebody elses.

People have different viewpoints - its what makes a forum - and everybody is entitled to make their posts without being belittled and being told to go elsewhere.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #637 on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
It might have been against Everton on New Years Day. Victor Anichebe scored the winner.

Funnily enough under Pulis, another game where we didn't manage a single shot on target was also against Everton.

TBH Liam, it's the Everton game that's scared me about TP. I don't get too snobby about playing styles, providing we try to win a game. I didn't see any evidence of us trying to win that game. Hope Saturday's a bit better.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #638 on: January 26, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
it's the Everton game that's scared me about TP. I don't get too snobby about playing styles, providing we try to win a game. I didn't see any evidence of us trying to win that game. Hope Saturday's a bit better.

I thought the opposite to be honest, and the Everton match reassured me that we have a bloke at the helm who is addressing the fundamental issue affecting clubs drifting towards the relegation zone - you initially focus on the defence first and foremost.

Watching the match on TV, I can't recall the last time I had watched the Albion in such a relaxed state of mind, as penalty incident apart, I just couldn't see Everton scoring against us.

If there hadn't been the slight misunderstanding between Ideye and Sess towards the end we would have walked away with all 3 points.

I really enjoyed seeing such an organised and well drilled defence, and if I'm honest, enjoyed the obvious frustration of the Everton players and their fans as they failed, time and time again, to break us down.

More of the same is fine with me, so we can get to the Summer, regroup and then really kick on for the first time in around 2 1/2 years.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #639 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Out of interest why is there a sudden move to be negative. I've had my views on him since day 1, but to be fair we have had decent results since he took over so why is there a growing groundswell of negativity?

Is it the sty le of play? Releasing Varela and Blanco? Reported interest in Ameobi?

I'm genuinely interested as to why there seems to be a growing change of heart.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #640 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
Stoke are currently being out passed by Rochdale 54%-46%. The only goal from the game coming directly from a long ball  ;D

That's with a 'new' manager who has had 18 months to stamp his style onto the team. Pulis has had less than 1 month with the West Brom squad.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #641 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Out of interest why is there a sudden move to be negative. I've had my views on him since day 1, but to be fair we have had decent results since he took over so why is there a growing groundswell of negativity?

Is it the sty le of play? Releasing Varela and Blanco? Reported interest in Ameobi?

I'm genuinely interested as to why there seems to be a growing change of heart.

its all of the above plus no in-coming players, if we are changing things great, we all agreed that change was necessary. I can only speak for myself but I'm worried about failing to sign good new blood and the whole thing un-ravelling
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #642 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Stoke are currently being out passed by Rochdale 54%-46%. The only goal from the game coming directly from a long ball  ;D

That's with a 'new' manager who has had 18 months to stamp his style onto the team. Pulis has had less than 1 month with the West Brom squad.

Try as much as you like Tony stokelad, you not going to convert some of us.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:08:46 PM by OldburyWBA »
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #643 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
I thought the opposite to be honest, and the Everton match reassured me that we have a bloke at the helm who is addressing the fundamental issue affecting clubs drifting towards the relegation zone - you initially focus on the defence first and foremost.

Watching the match on TV, I can't recall the last time I had watched the Albion in such a relaxed state of mind, as penalty incident apart, I just couldn't see Everton scoring against us.

If there hadn't been the slight misunderstanding between Ideye and Sess towards the end we would have walked away with all 3 points.

I really enjoyed seeing such an organised and well drilled defence, and if I'm honest, enjoyed the obvious frustration of the Everton players and their fans as they failed, time and time again, to break us down.

More of the same is fine with me, so we can get to the Summer, regroup and then really kick on for the first time in around 2 1/2 years.

But we're going to need more than just draws to keep us in this league, & surely the way that Everton are playing at the moment, it's a game we should have expected to win. I didn't see any evidence that we wanted to win it.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #644 on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »
Just a thought pulis is quite correct saying this is a big job to help us stay up.we are the biggest club he has coached.I think he will keep us up and next year we will be an organised superfit team aiming for top 8

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #645 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
But we're going to need more than just draws to keep us in this league, & surely the way that Everton are playing at the moment, it's a game we should have expected to win. I didn't see any evidence that we wanted to win it.
They wanted a win John.We stopped them got a point.Everton have some very good players Lukaku?
We stopped them got the job done as Brumme Rd says,
We will turn sides over I am sure.If fact we turned Everton over as they expected 3 points. 8)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #646 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
They wanted a win John.We stopped them got a point.Everton have some very good players Lukaku?
We stopped them got the job done as Brumme Rd says,
We will turn sides over I am sure.If fact we turned Everton over as they expected 3 points. 8)

There's an old cliché " If you play in the opposition's half of the field, they can't score". We had 30% possession in the Everton match, so Everton had 70%, that's a risky strategy to me. I watched the match on TV, we hardly crossed the halfway line. If they had scored the penalty, I'm convinced we would have lost the game.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #647 on: January 26, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »
There's an old cliché " If you play in the opposition's half of the field, they can't score". We had 30% possession in the Everton match, so Everton had 70%, that's a risky strategy to me. I watched the match on TV, we hardly crossed the halfway line. If they had scored the penalty, I'm convinced we would have lost the game.
We used to get loads of possession with Mowbray and lose, possession doesn't mean anything unless it creates goals, and for that you need lots of possession in the opponents box, which we did not give to Everton.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: January 27, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »
We used to get loads of possession with Mowbray and lose, possession doesn't mean anything unless it creates goals, and for that you need lots of possession in the opponents box, which we did not give to Everton.
We just gave them a penalty that they missed.  ;)

I can not see us going down under Pulis like I could not see us going down under Irvine. Even our "useless" players are capable of keeping us in the greed league.  I am now more concerned about where we are going to see our next three points come from as we are yet to see any real attacking intention.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #649 on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
This debate is a bit like looking at architect's plans for a new building and saying what we hope the decor will be like! Let's wait a bit eh? New players in during Jan and the summer should give us a good impression of where the new direction is heading....................hopeully Pulis gives us a solid foundation to build from......