Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5177844 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #650 on: January 27, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
This debate is a bit like looking at architect's plans for a new building and saying what we hope the decor will be like! Let's wait a bit eh? New players in during Jan and the summer should give us a good impression of where the new direction is heading....................hopeully Pulis gives us a solid foundation to build from......

Well said.....I remember before he was appointed that there were plenty of 'we dont want Pulis' comments on this site, but none of them put forward any acceptable options. We were not in a position to take yet another 'lucky punt' on someone who is an all round good egg but had no 'real' experience. You just know that the 'I told you so' gang will be out as soon as we lose a game.....

He was the only man for the job and I hope he is with us for a long time for the right reasons, but give him a chance and wait to see what he can do with his own men.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:29:21 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #651 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
This debate is a bit like looking at architect's plans for a new building and saying what we hope the decor will be like! Let's wait a bit eh? New players in during Jan and the summer should give us a good impression of where the new direction is heading....................hopeully Pulis gives us a solid foundation to build from......
judging by our back four on saturday our new building is going to be full of big pillars.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #652 on: January 27, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
well all buildings need strong foundations of course!! We can then employ a fancy interior designer to make things look pretty of course! The last thing we want is to choose the curtains before the building is complete as tastes change! I'll have a lie down eh!

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #653 on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
He was and is the right man at the right time....and if he cannot save us, then no one can.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #654 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
He was and is the right man at the right time....and if he cannot save us, then no one can.

some would say the mesiah
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #655 on: January 27, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
If he cant keep us out the bottom 3 then he's done a worse job than Irvine did, as well as RDM, Hodgson, Clarke and Mel.

Keeping us up is not the job Pulis is making it out to be. The last guy failed at 2 league 1 clubs, took over after the worst summer of transfer business I can ever remember us having and had a large number of the crowd against him from day 1. At yet even he could still only take us as low as 17th

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #656 on: January 27, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Well said.....I remember before he was appointed that there were plenty of 'we dont want Pulis' comments on this site, but none of them put forward any acceptable options. We were not in a position to take yet another 'lucky punt' on someone who is an all round good egg but had no 'real' experience. You just know that the 'I told you so' gang will be out as soon as we lose a game.....

He was the only man for the job and I hope he is with us for a long time for the right reasons, but give him a chance and wait to see what he can do with his own men.

Sorry to be a pain but would you mind posting some of the 'we don't want Pulis' comments please.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #657 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Pulis' brand of "football" is abhorrent to me. In the thread you speak of, I stated that I'd rather be relegated than resort to the tactics that Pulis' Stoke team employed on a regular basis. Just imagine his first training session...

"Hi lads, I'm Tony. Whose got the longest throw then?"

Comments like these Luv, quite a few if you search. I have just re read some of the threads, its quite amusing that in the days leading up to his appointment there was a lot of speculation about Sherwood, Hughton and Jones. Pulis comes into the frame and there is a fair bit of negative comment, and then he is appointed and there is a grudging acceptance that actually, JP has called this one right!.

The only reason I joined this site was because Im could not believe the negative attitude towards his appointment.
MAGA!

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #658 on: January 27, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Pulis' brand of "football" is abhorrent to me. In the thread you speak of, I stated that I'd rather be relegated than resort to the tactics that Pulis' Stoke team employed on a regular basis. Just imagine his first training session...

"Hi lads, I'm Tony. Whose got the longest throw then?"

Comments like these Luv, quite a few if you search. I have just re read some of the threads, its quite amusing that in the days leading up to his appointment there was a lot of speculation about Sherwood, Hughton and Jones. Pulis comes into the frame and there is a fair bit of negative comment, and then he is appointed and there is a grudging acceptance that actually, JP has called this one right!.

The only reason I joined this site was because Im could not believe the negative attitude towards his appointment.

Strangely I've searched but wasn't able to find one forum member who posted the words 'we don't want Pulis', despite you saying there were "plenty" of those comments, just wondering where you had seen them  :-\
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #659 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
If he cant keep us out the bottom 3 then he's done a worse job than Irvine did, as well as RDM, Hodgson, Clarke and Mel.

Keeping us up is not the job Pulis is making it out to be. The last guy failed at 2 league 1 clubs, took over after the worst summer of transfer business I can ever remember us having and had a large number of the crowd against him from day 1. At yet even he could still only take us as low as 17th
another 3 weeks of Irvine and we would have been in the bottom three,pulis will keep us up but so far its not a good watch

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #660 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »
Not only for the team but to shut the moaners up I'd love to see us sign MaManaman Ba and Fletcher. They moan when were linked with their Pulis stereotype player. I shall cup my hand to my ear and run round the kitchen if we sign players that don't fit the anti Pulis agenda.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Is there any point in being ante Tony pulis. The bloke is here and working his socks off to keep us up .let's hope we do stop up . Next season is the time to gripe .

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #662 on: January 27, 2015, 06:36:01 PM »
Is there any point in being ante Tony pulis. The bloke is here and working his socks off to keep us up .let's hope we do stop up . Next season is the time to gripe .
Well said mate.Under Irvine we would have gone down I have no doubt.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #663 on: January 27, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »
I don't think anybody is anti-Pulis

They are just offering concerns with regards to his abrasive personality and style of football.

I think more or less everybody is in agreement that Pulis was the right man but I don't think we should automatically abandon our concerns with regards to what we'll be watching over the next 12 months or so just because he was the right man at this time.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #664 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »

They are just offering concerns with regards to his abrasive personality and style of football.

I think more or less everybody is in agreement that Pulis was the right man but I don't think we should automatically abandon our concerns with regards to what we'll be watching over the next 12 months or so just because he was the right man at this time.

Pulis is competent. His Stoke style of football ie "Pulisball" is also a dramatic condemnation of where British football stands at this point in time. What is remarkable is how scarce, not to say non-existent, alternatives to him are at this point in time. Needless to say I hope we, as Albion fans, will be spared the worst aspects of Pulisball. I am hopeful simply because Albion at this point in time is not Stoke of five years ago. 

I don't know what Dan Ashworth wrote in his UK "Football DNA" report, but something has to happen on the coaching level before it can happen on the player level. This will be true as long as British football managers/coaches prefer "tractors" to "Lamborghinis, Ferraris and BMWs".

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #665 on: January 27, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »

No one is anti Pulis. Its just a lot of people on here think that he plays awful boring hoofball, buys Freak sized strikers, plays 4 centre backs in defence and makes you wonder if you have turned up at Twickenham rather than the Hawthorns. Apart from that everyone loves him on here.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #666 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
Pulis is competent. His Stoke style of football ie "Pulisball" is also a dramatic condemnation of where British football stands at this point in time. What is remarkable is how scarce, not to say non-existent, alternatives to him are at this point in time. Needless to say I hope we, as Albion fans, will be spared the worst aspects of Pulisball. I am hopeful simply because Albion at this point in time is not Stoke of five years ago. 

I don't know what Dan Ashworth wrote in his UK "Football DNA" report, but something has to happen on the coaching level before it can happen on the player level. This will be true as long as British football managers/coaches prefer "tractors" to "Lamborghinis, Ferraris and BMWs".

Spot on, we have to change our coaching of coaches, we are turning out clones who play "effective but unentertaining" football for competing with teams of a similar capability,. Its only the foreign coaches who bring any diversity. Hence rubbish national teams, sterile leagues and lack of opportunities for british managers / head coaches.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #667 on: January 27, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »

I havn't seen anybody who is anti Pulis. I havnt seen anyone criticise his appointment. I dont think any/many people doubt he is the right man for the job if the job is to keep us up.

Th concerns are about his playing style and what will be subjecting to watching.
Not only for the team but to shut the moaners up I'd love to see us sign MaManaman Ba and Fletcher. They moan when were linked with their Pulis stereotype player. I shall cup my hand to my ear and run round the kitchen if we sign players that don't fit the anti Pulis agenda.

Again, nobody is moaning about Pulis, people are raising (in my view at least) extremely valid points about the way he will go about getting results. I havn't seen anyone say 'well Pulis is pooh whats Peace doing, Pulis out!) the points are considered and balanced and backed up and based on pretty much his entire managerial career to date.

But its a bit like getting someone who who builds the most secure buildings you could get, and then decorates the interior by smearing excrement over the floors and walls. Now some people will say a house is a house, be grateful theres a roof over your head. Others will complain the house smells of pooh. Theres a valid argument each way and its down to your own preference.

The other option is you get someone different in to improve the style in 18 months, but before he can do anything he's going to have to spend a lot of time clearing up what the previous guy left behind. This is why I much preferred our previous model rather than handing Pulis pretty much complete control.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #668 on: January 27, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
I havn't seen anybody who is anti Pulis. I havnt seen anyone criticise his appointment. I dont think any/many people doubt he is the right man for the job if the job is to keep us up.

Th concerns are about his playing style and what will be subjecting to watching.
Again, nobody is moaning about Pulis, people are raising (in my view at least) extremely valid points about the way he will go about getting results. I havn't seen anyone say 'well Pulis is pooh whats Peace doing, Pulis out!) the points are considered and balanced and backed up and based on pretty much his entire managerial career to date.
But its a bit like getting someone who who builds the most secure buildings you could get, and then decorates the interior by smearing excrement over the floors and walls. Now some people will say a house is a house, be grateful theres a roof over your head. Others will complain the house smells of pooh. Theres a valid argument each way and its down to your own preference.

The other option is you get someone different in to improve the style in 18 months, but before he can do anything he's going to have to spend a lot of time clearing up what the previous guy left behind. This is why I much preferred our previous model rather than handing Pulis pretty much complete control.
Yes let's get Mowbray back!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #669 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
On Saturday to the Liqidator de de de de da de de de de da"PULIS OUT ....IN 18 MONTHS". Does that sound absurd or is that just me?

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #670 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
For the record I am Anti Pulis and I know plenty of others who are. But being pro Albion trumps all.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #671 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
On Saturday to the Liqidator de de de de da de de de de da"PULIS OUT ....IN 18 MONTHS". Does that sound absurd or is that just me?

Out of interest - why do you seem to have a problem with people that are criticising Tony Pulis?

Many of those that have criticised him have so far produced well balanced arguments whilst at this point in time admitting he is the right man for the club.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boing boing baggies

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #672 on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
I am having so many problems with fans wanting Pulis out when we are unbeaten 5 games... and through to the last 16 of the FA cup, plus a bit + we are about to sign Callum McManaman.  What do some people want ?? >:(

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #673 on: January 27, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
I am having so many problems with fans wanting Pulis out when we are unbeaten 5 games... and through to the last 16 of the FA cup, plus a bit + we are about to sign Callum McManaman.  What do some people want ?? >:(

Who wants Pulis out?

What I want is football I consider watchable. Not even exciting or attacking or full of goals, just 'ok'

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #674 on: January 27, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
Out of interest - why do you seem to have a problem with people that are criticising Tony Pulis?

Many of those that have criticised him have so far produced well balanced arguments whilst at this point in time admitting he is the right man for the club.
As I said yesterday “A negative view born of educated guess work seems to be that we will have to support the Albion whilst holding our noses to the stench of boring football Pulis promotes.
We haven’t even stayed up yet, but that with all the other predictions are seemingly inevitable. Pulis even hasn’t bought any players yet, (maybe McManaman – is he the typical Pulis Neanderthal or Southampton esq I don’t know)
Perhaps we should get down the charity shops now to get our bed sheets ready for August so after he keeps us up we can demonstrate “Pulis Out” banners on the opening game of the new season.
Here’s another educated guess after we have sacked Pulis for boring us to survival. We get a progressive attacking manager who gets us to 8th place with sparkling football and a big club comes and takes him and 4 of our best players.
My point is I just don’t see the point of being so negative about something’s that hasn’t even happened yet. At what point should we start booing our monotonous football before or after we have stayed up because if we adopt such a pessimistic view of our clubs future we might as well start booing Pulis at the Spurs game”
Because all of the arguments about Pulis have been educated supposition of what is going to happen in the future porteayed as fact. For instance do you really think Pulis would turn down a player like Demba Ba if Peace sanctioned his signing. "Nah Jeremy go get me someone with a little less skill and more brawn - he doesn't suit my style." Lets worry about what style we might play after the window. I just get the feeling that no matter what, people will complain. I guess you would call me a bleeding heart Liberal that won’t condemn the man until he is found guilty and not before.