Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134857 times)

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #15825 on: September 10, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
2 out of 10. i doubt your performance will not get past 5. the sooner hes gone the better

Well you're going to be disappointed for a while then

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15826 on: September 10, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
One match since the window....one match
Let's not over react
Do I think we could have set up differently ?......yes
Would most of us gone more attacking? ..........yes

Are any of us prem managers?.......no
Does Pullis have all the blame for yesterday?........no

He has his way, he is in charge so we see what happens next, lots on here contradicting that new players should have come in but Evans should not because we were on a run etc
He is paid to make decisions, he made some they didn't come off, I think he knows the mid 3 is an issue and I'd be surprised if he didn't change it next time out ...but just because we had a good window doesn't mean we have to suddenly win every match, in real terms we may have only got our selves where we should have been 2 years ago..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15827 on: September 10, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Can I ask why no one who wants him gone has never got a pulis out song going ?

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15828 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
Let's not over react

He has his way, he is in charge so we see what happens next, lots on here contradicting that new players should have come in but Evans should not because we were on a run etc
He is paid to make decisions, he made some they didn't come off, I think he knows the mid 3 is an issue and I'd be surprised if he didn't change it next time out ...but just because we had a good window doesn't mean we have to suddenly win every match, in real terms we may have only got our selves where we should have been 2 years ago..

It's not over reacting, its seeing whats in front of our very own eyes.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15829 on: September 10, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
one thing i dont do a critisize whilst at a match, my moans and groans will only be social media. i was cringing when we got tony pulis song early on. stuck right in the middle of them :(
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15830 on: September 10, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
How have you been proven right ?

We have lost 1 game this season today and we were shocking. Yes Pulis made mistakes with his selection especially given the players have had a couple of training sessions together at best with Rondon possibly not getting back until Friday after playing for his country.

How about hang on a few weeks at least before starting the "proved right" comments, yes we know you don't like him you've made it pretty clear.

Today his mistakes were playing Hegazi and Evans together when they've barely trained together given the "injury" to Evans and them him going off to play for his country, he should have started with Dawson and Evans but I guess wihen McAuley is fit he will return with Dawson rightly going back to right back where despite a few moans on here he's done an excelletn job. Brunt should have been at left back and should until Gibbs gets upto speed given his lack of fitness. Livermore should have made way from the midfield to allow Barry and Krychowiak with Morrison behind Rodriguez given Rondons late return from international duty.

Fair points and not spoiling for an argument, but my being proven right comment was more for he fact that we have had, in my mind, a fairly successful transfer window for the first time in years in terms of bolstering our attacking options, yet he still reverts to type with team selection, three central defenders and a right back at left back and three defensive midfielders. I appreciate those who feel he can change because we had a few games last season where Matty Phillips became a world beater and we were ruthless off set pieces, but I've seen very little in the three years he has been here now to show me that the style of play will ever improve.

Yes we beat Bournemouth and Burnley but I felt we didn't play particularly well in either of those, just relatively solid at the back against two teams who didn't lose much of a threat going forward. Jay Rod had plenty of shots out of nothing to bolster the stats against Bournemouth, Ben Mee missed an absolute sitter for Burnley and HRK did very well to finish a long punt upfield in a game that could easily have gone the other way. I thought we were absolutely awful against Stoke and have a Nyom wonder cross to thank for us taking the lead in that one as we offered nothing.

Time will tell how we evolve moving forward, but how much time can be given? Three years have already passed, there can be no excuses in terms of options available to him now, it's his choice not to select a Morrison/Chadli ahead of Livermore to make us more of an attacking side.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15831 on: September 10, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »
Let's not over react

sorry but TP definitely has to take the blame for yesterday!

terrible selection, wrong formation, square pegs in round holes, mind numbingly negative, hopeless use of subs, TAXI

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15832 on: September 10, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »

terrible selection, wrong formation, square pegs in round holes, mind numbingly negative, hopeless use of subs, TAXI
And by definition he then must take the credit for the previous matches this season?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15833 on: September 10, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
And by definition he then must take the credit for the previous matches this season?

No no it doesn't work like that. If we win then we should have won 5-0 by playing total football.

:-[
the regime don't like it man

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15834 on: September 10, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »

Agree with everything apart from this (and the taxi bit). The subs were the one good thing yesterday at least we started to attack once Morrison, Burke and Gibbs were on and we went to what should be our starting back 4 of Nyom, Dawson, Evans and Gibbs.

He maybe could have brought McClean on instead of Burke and we wouldn't have lost anything pace wise or he could have brought Brunt on who (usually) plays a better ball into the box but we would have lost  any pace on that side. Swings and roundabouts for me.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15835 on: September 10, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »

saw plenty of times people that don't particularly like him, give him credit on here. The problem is, some people on here don't see any wrong or bad doing in him and if he is criticised people don't like it and start moaning.

The problem is that he had no reason at all to set us up like we were some newly promoted team that was struggling to get a draw against a top 3 team... when in reality we had a team full of confident players that were unbeaten came back from a successful international break going into a very winnable game against a newly promoted team that's struggled to get their season started.... for him to set us up how he did.

He is an experienced premier league manager/coach.... there is no genuine reason for why he got it so wrong yesterday (and it ain't even a one off.... it's abit of an habit with him that is papered over by the odd good performance and the odd scrappy 1-0 wins).

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15836 on: September 10, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
saw plenty of times people that don't particularly like him, give him credit on here. The problem is, some people on here don't see any wrong or bad doing in him and if he is criticised people don't like it and start moaning.

The problem is that he had no reason at all to set us up like we were some newly promoted team that was struggling to get a draw against a top 3 team... when in reality we had a team full of confident players that were unbeaten came back from a successful international break going into a very winnable game against a newly promoted team that's struggled to get their season started.... for him to set us up how he did.

He is an experienced premier league manager/coach.... there is no genuine reason for why he got it so wrong yesterday (and it ain't even a one off.... it's abit of an habit with him that is papered over by the odd good performance and the odd scrappy 1-0 wins).
There are the ones who will hear no good, the ones who will hear no bad and the people in the middle..
These one nil wins which you say paper over the cracks, that is what he does, that has always been his M.O
I'm not saying he didn't make errors, but if he plays the same 11 and we win 1-0 there's a lot less moaning and we were top 3
As a fan I don't want him there because I pay to see entertainment, if I won the lottery tomorrow and brought the club (to run as a business) would I keep him...God yes
He never steers from his chosen path, this has brought him an unblemished "never been relegated " and sorter outer reputation....which is what we needed..

He now has a 28m midfielder, England internationals and genuine pace, if he doesn't use them correctly AND we don't get the results...the chairman will act.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15837 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »
I'm Tony's biggest critic, previous posts will show that. However, I'm happy to point out when he has surpassed my expectations and again, previous posts prove that.

However, how anybody can defend him yesterday is beyond belief.

We would laugh had the Villa gone to Brighton today, picked the team we did and lost 3-1. If Wolves went there like we did we'd be calling them boring.

We spent years slating Stoke under him and everybody knows that none of us respected him for his style of play.

With the squad we have now, does anybody truly believe Pulis is the only man who can keep us up? The only man who can get us to 40 points before the end of March?

Whether it was Silva, Howe, Hodgson, Monk, Rodgers, bleeding Pepe Mel, we would still be staying up. We do not need to put such a negative, defensive team out against a newly promoted side, irrespective of being home or away.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15838 on: September 10, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
There are the ones who will hear no good, the ones who will hear no bad and the people in the middle..
These one nil wins which you say paper over the cracks, that is what he does, that has always been his M.O
I'm not saying he didn't make errors, but if he plays the same 11 and we win 1-0 there's a lot less moaning and we were top 3
As a fan I don't want him there because I pay to see entertainment, if I won the lottery tomorrow and brought the club (to run as a business) would I keep him...God yes
He never steers from his chosen path, this has brought him an unblemished "never been relegated " and sorter outer reputation....which is what we needed..

He now has a 28m midfielder, England internationals and genuine pace, if he doesn't use them correctly AND we don't get the results...the chairman will act.

Will he though?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15839 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
Will he though?
Only IF we were to be relegated, otherwise we bump along happily getting the Premier/Greed league money windfall every year. There is no ambition in the game any more, players used to want to win things but now as long as your in the prem and getting the cash, no one gives a f**k !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15840 on: September 10, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
Only IF we were to be relegated, otherwise we bump along happily getting the Premier/Greed league money windfall every year. There is no ambition in the game any more, players used to want to win things but now as long as your in the prem and getting the cash, no one gives a f**k !!!
As depressing as it is true. How do we get back our football?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15841 on: September 10, 2017, 10:45:40 PM »
As depressing as it is true. How do we get back our football?

I'm guessing knocking on Pulis' door and saying
'please Mister can we have our football back?' isn't going to do it.

???
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15842 on: September 10, 2017, 11:05:29 PM »
Seriously. Is this going to happen after every defeat?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15843 on: September 11, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »
Seriously. Is this going to happen after every defeat?

Would suggest more likely after every tepid, nondescript performance we put in, which the last two have been.

No excuse for him getting the team selection so badly wrong on Saturday. Sad thing is, I predicted prior to the weekend that it was exactly what he would do, he's that predictable

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15844 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
Out of interest does anyone know how many players Brighton had away on international duty during the break compared to us? If they had significantly fewer players away then that would mean they were better prepared for the game than us and would go some way to explain why some of our lads "weren't up for it".

Pulis didn't help himself though by making sweeping changes to our back line.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15845 on: September 11, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »
if I won the lottery tomorrow and brought the club (to run as a business) would I keep him...God yes

If I won the lottery and bought the club, he would be gone before the ink was dry on my receipt.

Out of interest does anyone know how many players Brighton had away on international duty during the break compared to us?

I thought I heard Pulis say in an interview "they" had none away
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15846 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »
Would suggest more likely after every tepid, nondescript performance we put in, which the last two have been.

No excuse for him getting the team selection so badly wrong on Saturday. Sad thing is, I predicted prior to the weekend that it was exactly what he would do, he's that predictable

Burnley away was dreadful... none of this though...

It's every time we don't pick up 3 points (Not a given right against anyone in this division) and it's extremely tiresome.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15847 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »

It's every time we don't pick up 3 points (Not a given right against anyone in this division) and it's extremely tiresome.

Not as tiresome as watching the match on Saturday.

jefferson

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #15848 on: September 11, 2017, 06:33:42 AM »
As well as the Megson appointment went down it showed Pulis is stuck in his ways. If he wanted to step oout of his comfort zone he'd have got a more attacking or pragmatic coach in to replace Kemp.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15849 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »

Yes it was but somehow we won and therefore nothing else much matters apparently. The reaction is in part due to the fact that fans kid themselves that Pulis will change, he won't. Equally defeat legitmises the criticism.

Brighton away a fully fit squad, struggling opposition and fans wrongly expect that he might try to win the game and are disappointed that he just tried to shut up shop like he does every week on the road and often at home. Personally I'm not because I know he won't change and have long ago given up watching us away from home other than on TV, it's too pathetic to bother with.

The moral of the story is fans will tolerate winning ugly (just) but quickly lose patience with losing ugly. This is why Pulis has a limited shelf life and in answer to your question this will happen after every defeat, it is tiresome but then again so is Pulis.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.