Author Topic: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)  (Read 22055 times)

j125

• WBA Newbie

Re: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2024, 02:13:18 PM »
Have watched a lot of Scottish football in general, and the general consensus is that he's extremely talented, but was a bit overawed by the occasion sometimes, and was very injury prone (despite having a fairly injury free season in Portugal).  Having said that, I'd also say that he's dealing with an extremely low block in the SPL and a very different playing style. CC has given him the opportunity to drive at defenders, and cut inside - and has probably trusted his talent more than he has in the past.

Amazing what a bit of trust, belief and the opportunity to play with freedom can do.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2024, 10:52:18 AM »
Have watched a lot of Scottish football in general, and the general consensus is that he's extremely talented, but was a bit overawed by the occasion sometimes, and was very injury prone (despite having a fairly injury free season in Portugal).  Having said that, I'd also say that he's dealing with an extremely low block in the SPL and a very different playing style. CC has given him the opportunity to drive at defenders, and cut inside - and has probably trusted his talent more than he has in the past.

Amazing what a bit of trust, belief and the opportunity to play with freedom can do.

Sadly its a matter of time until one of the championship cloggers catches him, hope he is robust enough to cope with it when it happens
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

j125

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2024, 06:56:20 PM »
Sadly its a matter of time until one of the championship cloggers catches him, hope he is robust enough to cope with it when it happens

I do think it's a little bit of an unfair reputation really. He's been fairly injury free since 21/22 (barring the usual injuries you get in the SPL from being kicked from pillar to post) but the run of games will test this of course. I must admit, I do have the same fear...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:59:23 PM by j125 »

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2024, 03:54:18 PM »
Mickey Johnston has been very ‘hot’ in our recent games scoring some outstanding goals. One just hopes that the International Break his form doesn’t drop off.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2024, 04:52:51 PM »
Anyone watch the Ireland games to see how he got on?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2024, 08:25:03 PM »
Hope he fared better with the ROI than Dara and JM used to.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2024, 08:30:48 PM »
came off after 57 mins
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2024, 08:47:03 PM »
came off after 57 mins

Tremendous. Should be fit and ready to go Saturday.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2024, 10:47:54 PM »
Tremendous. Should be fit and ready to go Saturday.

Hope his fit for Friday, don’t care what his plans are Saturday

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2024, 07:27:08 AM »
Hope his fit for Friday, don’t care what his plans are Saturday

Recovering from having had a Good Friday injury free hopefully  8) .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:12:38 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2024, 04:01:04 PM »
Really poor today and glad CC took him off.

Too much dribbling in the wrong areas, he really needs to release the ball earlier.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2024, 04:50:43 PM »
It's possible the international break has proved a disruption to his routine, and he'll need to get back into it. Going away like that can be more of a hindrance when you're in form.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2024, 06:18:33 PM »
Had a few one on ones and blatantly pulled back at one stage but Townsend and he never really linked up that well together and as first half progressed his influence diminished by dropping to deep to be effective.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2024, 04:54:29 PM »
I think we’re finally seeing the player Celtic fans described when we first signed him. Greedy, dribbles in the wrong areas of the pitch, doesn’t track back and has no footballing intelligence whatsoever.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2024, 04:59:29 PM »
I think we’re finally seeing the player Celtic fans described when we first signed him. Greedy, dribbles in the wrong areas of the pitch, doesn’t track back and has no footballing intelligence whatsoever.
Thank god
All those cut backs, skinning defenders like they weren’t there and fantastic finishes meant I was starting to think that he had already payed us for the loan fee..
There just has to be something to moan about doesn’t there ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »
Thank god
All those cut backs, skinning defenders like they weren’t there and fantastic finishes meant I was starting to think that he had already payed us for the loan fee..
There just has to be something to moan about doesn’t there ?

Has he assisted a goal since he’s been here?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2024, 05:10:42 PM »

He’s had a couple of average games but come on man - you’re quoting Diangana’s numbers but Johnstone’s numbers also speak volumes. A couple of duds doesn’t make those early games some sort of trick.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2024, 05:20:52 PM »
He’s had a couple of average games but come on man - you’re quoting Diangana’s numbers but Johnstone’s numbers also speak volumes. A couple of duds doesn’t make those early games some sort of trick.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Even in those games where everything he hit went in, he was making a lot of bad, unforced errors. The Celtic fans have watched him for a lot longer than we have and we’re absolutely delighted to get rid of him.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2024, 05:25:49 PM »
Got to stick with him.  It's refreshing to see a player who gets the ball and runs at his man.  It won't always come off but it's something we miss on that side of the pitch.  Only so many times I can see the Townsend overlap, and smash the ball over the back post move.  Townsend must hit 1 decent cross for every 10-20 attempts.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2024, 05:26:46 PM »
Got to stick with him.  It's refreshing to see a player who gets the ball and runs at his man.  It won't always come off but it's something we miss on that side of the pitch.  Only so many times I can see the Townsend overlap, and smash the ball over the back post move.  Townsend must hit 1 decent cross for every 10-20 attempts.
It’s also difficult for our wingers without having a target in the middle to aim for.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2024, 05:35:52 PM »
Sorry but I have to disagree. Even in those games where everything he hit went in, he was making a lot of bad, unforced errors. The Celtic fans have watched him for a lot longer than we have and we’re absolutely delighted to get rid of him.

Agree to disagree on him. He’s not going be successful with every dribble etc and he’s got 6 goals and 1 assist and I imagine a lot of key passes and pushes us up the pitch a bit. Kind of like a pacier Stephane Sessegnon.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2024, 05:42:00 PM »

Not like you to go with all guns blazing negatively against one of our players is it, do you ever have anything decent to say?

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2024, 05:47:27 PM »
Not like you to go with all guns blazing negatively against one of our players is it, do you ever have anything decent to say?

Yeah, see the Diangana thread.

We have way too many cheerleaders in our fan base.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2024, 05:48:07 PM »
We're delighted he came here arne't you?

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2024, 05:52:44 PM »
We're delighted he came here arne't you?

Started off quite well but has been poor ever since Huddersfield away. I certainly wouldn’t be spending any money to buy him permanently.