Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854755 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3775 on: March 11, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »

In case we beat Swansea and Brentford.

Which was dubious with our suicidal defending, that alone had to stop, it was like a madness, any decent coach would have stopped it months ago, but it still continued with no benefit, if it enabled us to attack quickly it may have been worthwhile, but it NEVER did, we just passed it around the back until we lost it and presented the opposition with a chance.

Other teams pressed us because they knew we were pooh at passing out, the obvious counter to being pressed is to play it long straight away, but Darren never learned, never changed and for that alone, he can have no complaints about being sacked.
Baggie in Southampton

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3776 on: March 11, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
I'm not buying that. The timing is what has made all so questionable for me as a fan.

I too disagree with that.

Our board of disasters is full of people who have their self interest at heart and they should concentrate on the interests of the club.

They should have looked the fact that this squad had clearly stopped playing for the fans and then started again like a tap when DM took over.

If should have been dismantled then in the summer under the guidance of a proper experienced manager like Chris Wilder who knew this division and the lower divisions and the untapped talent there.

I love DM, for his efforts that took us back to a division I never thought I would see us play in, but I said he needed to go and learn his trade and and earn the Albion job by doing well elsewhere.

It appears that DM was what I suspected a very loyal person and that is shown in the way he has treated GJ, when others could see he was using us as a stepping stone to get his name out there with in regular appearances on talksport.

I remember at the time I had never seen an assistant promoting himself in such a way, and we now know he could be off to luton and probably in the same division as us.

Personally I think his plan was to take us over after DM got the boot.

The fact Darren Moore didn't sack him if it is true that he was going to Luton in the summer says it all imo.

Way to nice to be ruthless manager.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3777 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
TalkSport going down the racism route of course...

Wait for the first idiot to bite.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3778 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:59 PM »
TalkSport going down the racism route of course...

Wait for the first idiot to bite.

I hate talk sport. Bunch of time wasters.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3779 on: March 11, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
A Norwich fan's view. I fear he may be right?

"I'm a Norwich fan. And for 15 years, more or less, West Brom were, in my view, the model club for clubs of our size.

Gary Megson came in with them on the verge of relegation to the third tier. Kept them up, just... then through sheer bloody-mindedness and force of personality, transformed them into the biggest overachievers in the division. Merely making the playoffs in 2001 was remarkable; automatic promotion the following season, as Wolves produced their worst - and most hilarious - choke ever, was an astonishing achievement.

All they ever were under Megson were hard workers - so down they inevitably went, but crucially, straight back up they came. Then Bryan Robson kept them up, albeit more by luck than judgement - and then, importantly, Tony Mowbray was brought in to change their style of play. They were honest cloggers under Megson and Robson; Mowbray's task was to make them more cerebral, because this was what'd give them a real chance of establishing themselves in the top flight.

Trouble was, no Tony Mowbray team has ever been able to defend for toffee. Once again, they yo-yoed (or rather, boing-boinged), but the breakthrough was coming. Most neutral observers thought Roberto di Matteo's sacking was harsh. I didn't. They'd been steadily going backwards under him; whereas Roy Hodgson's calm, intelligent approach meant they finally crossed the rubicon separating 'yo-yo club' from 'established Premier League club'. That'd taken over a decade of patient, piecemeal gains: never getting ahead of themselves, never having delusions of grandeur, always running a tight ship and making damn good boardroom decisions.

Then briefly, Steve Clarke seemed to offer something even more... before they all but imploded under him, making his sacking the correct decision too. As long as, that is, they had the right man to replace him. Pepe Mel obviously wasn't - and whereas Tony Pulis was always going to keep them up, this was where the rot set in. Because there's only so much constant "nullify, nullify, track back, hoof the bugger ball into the box, no football please, I'm Tony Pulis" eye-bleeding anti-football which any fanbase anywhere can take. I know the likes of Berahino or Rondon can't be too popular with Baggies fans... but look at it from their point of view. Was this even the same sport they grew up playing? THIS was football?!

And the thing about life in the Premier League is: it always asks the question, "what next?" Somehow, under Jeremy Peace, one of the best football club owners of the last 20 years, West Brom, despite never spending all that much, had always found the answer. Now, they stopped doing so. Which is where what Darren Moore did was so remarkable. He breathed new life back into a club which had gone completely stale, and had sold its soul to Chinese owners who clearly don't have the first clue about the club or its supporters. He won the fans, so disenchanted by life under Pulis and Pardew, back. They loved him and he loved them.

Any board with any understanding of football at all would've given Moore time. Not just because of the patience required in such a competitive league... but because he was so popular. Heaven only knows how many fans have been alienated completely by this ridiculous decision. Everything that Peace built up so gradually has been wrecked - and as the likes of Charlton have found in the past, just one reckless decision can do so so much harm to a club's long term future.

For the record: I was never convinced by Moore's Baggies this season, and never felt they'd go up. They've been papering over large cracks. But those cracks are mostly the board's fault. You cannot demand automatic promotion while refusing to spend money, plenty of it. I'm sure Wolves' success, and their hugely promising position longer term, has added to the pressure and sense of urgency which the board feel: the pendulum between the two clubs has swung, massively. But as one of the best fanbases in the country, West Brom fans don't expect the Earth. Moore gave them their club back - and now, it's been wrenched away from them.

This decision will almost certainly haunt the club for years. West Bromwich Albion just shot Bambi. He'll be fine: other clubs are bound to be interested in him. But WBA, very likely, won't be. Watch them drift down the league next season now; and watch the fans turn against the owners amid increasing anger. Football is about community. Darren Moore embodied that. This shower of a board wouldn't understand it if it smacked them round the face."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3780 on: March 11, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »

"I'm a Norwich fan. And for 15 years, more or less, West Brom were, in my view, the model club for clubs of our size.

Gary Megson came in with them on the verge of relegation to the third tier. Kept them up, just... then through sheer bloody-mindedness and force of personality, transformed them into the biggest overachievers in the division. Merely making the playoffs in 2001 was remarkable; automatic promotion the following season, as Wolves produced their worst - and most hilarious - choke ever, was an astonishing achievement.

All they ever were under Megson were hard workers - so down they inevitably went, but crucially, straight back up they came. Then Bryan Robson kept them up, albeit more by luck than judgement - and then, importantly, Tony Mowbray was brought in to change their style of play. They were honest cloggers under Megson and Robson; Mowbray's task was to make them more cerebral, because this was what'd give them a real chance of establishing themselves in the top flight.

Trouble was, no Tony Mowbray team has ever been able to defend for toffee. Once again, they yo-yoed (or rather, boing-boinged), but the breakthrough was coming. Most neutral observers thought Roberto di Matteo's sacking was harsh. I didn't. They'd been steadily going backwards under him; whereas Roy Hodgson's calm, intelligent approach meant they finally crossed the rubicon separating 'yo-yo club' from 'established Premier League club'. That'd taken over a decade of patient, piecemeal gains: never getting ahead of themselves, never having delusions of grandeur, always running a tight ship and making damn good boardroom decisions.

Then briefly, Steve Clarke seemed to offer something even more... before they all but imploded under him, making his sacking the correct decision too. As long as, that is, they had the right man to replace him. Pepe Mel obviously wasn't - and whereas Tony Pulis was always going to keep them up, this was where the rot set in. Because there's only so much constant "nullify, nullify, track back, hoof the bugger ball into the box, no football please, I'm Tony Pulis" eye-bleeding anti-football which any fanbase anywhere can take. I know the likes of Berahino or Rondon can't be too popular with Baggies fans... but look at it from their point of view. Was this even the same sport they grew up playing? THIS was football?!

And the thing about life in the Premier League is: it always asks the question, "what next?" Somehow, under Jeremy Peace, one of the best football club owners of the last 20 years, West Brom, despite never spending all that much, had always found the answer. Now, they stopped doing so. Which is where what Darren Moore did was so remarkable. He breathed new life back into a club which had gone completely stale, and had sold its soul to Chinese owners who clearly don't have the first clue about the club or its supporters. He won the fans, so disenchanted by life under Pulis and Pardew, back. They loved him and he loved them.

Any board with any understanding of football at all would've given Moore time. Not just because of the patience required in such a competitive league... but because he was so popular. Heaven only knows how many fans have been alienated completely by this ridiculous decision. Everything that Peace built up so gradually has been wrecked - and as the likes of Charlton have found in the past, just one reckless decision can do so so much harm to a club's long term future.

For the record: I was never convinced by Moore's Baggies this season, and never felt they'd go up. They've been papering over large cracks. But those cracks are mostly the board's fault. You cannot demand automatic promotion while refusing to spend money, plenty of it. I'm sure Wolves' success, and their hugely promising position longer term, has added to the pressure and sense of urgency which the board feel: the pendulum between the two clubs has swung, massively. But as one of the best fanbases in the country, West Brom fans don't expect the Earth. Moore gave them their club back - and now, it's been wrenched away from them.

This decision will almost certainly haunt the club for years. West Bromwich Albion just shot Bambi. He'll be fine: other clubs are bound to be interested in him. But WBA, very likely, won't be. Watch them drift down the league next season now; and watch the fans turn against the owners amid increasing anger. Football is about community. Darren Moore embodied that. This shower of a board wouldn't understand it if it smacked them round the face."
An outsider looking in.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3781 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
The Norwich fan makes some interesting points of course but he is just that, an outsider looking in.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3782 on: March 11, 2019, 07:30:27 PM »

Personally, I don't think £38 million on wages is too bad for an ambitious Championship Club.
I have no doubt that Jones was the brains behind DM'S Management team, I wonder how much Jones alleged decision to go to Luton in the summer has influenced the board.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3783 on: March 11, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
The Norwich fan makes more sense then most on here. How people still think Murphy is a decent replacement for Barns and Montero is any where near Phillips level and still claim we have the best in the league is laughable. If we don't go up that is the number one reason why for me. No doubt the football club board Shills will be along to blame it all on Moore.

How much of the £38 mill on wages is on players that took us down not replacements to get us back up. I doubt that figures is right anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:36:07 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3784 on: March 11, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
That Norwich fan post is very spot on. I used to be very proud of how this club was ran
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3785 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
There's more than one side to every story but the web fingered fen dweller does indeed post much sense.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3786 on: March 11, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »

Its a good generally well balanced piece, but whilst its nice to write "its about community" its not, its about money, something Jeremy Peace never forgot, he never was concerned with community, quite the opposite, the share grab ensured that.

I'll predict now that Darren Moore will not make it as a coach, lovely guy and all that, but making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again show he is out of his depth.
Baggie in Southampton

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3787 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:29 PM »
Baggies podcast from the Express and Star is out with Matt Wilson, who I think talks a lot of sense and is a fan.

Worth a listen if you've got some time. Pretty in-depth on the season so far, Moore, the opinion of the board, his sacking and what comes next.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/11/baggies-broadcast-season-2-episode-32-thank-you-darren-moore/

Interesting he says Jones had already agreed to go to Luton in the summer and was manager by proxy.

If that’s true it’s another nail in DM’s coffin as we would essentially be losing our ‘manager’ in the summer.

DM probably was too nice, which is no surprise but should make the decision more understandable for those in doubt

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3788 on: March 11, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »
What a stupid reply why would I want to go to Blackpool!?
😂😂😂
You might like streetfighting and lap dancing
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3789 on: March 11, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
If football was run on sentiments and morality then I'd get it but its not.Also can anyone seriously quite suggest that they thought this was the right time for DM? The good performances last season made it impossible for him not to get the job but for me the risk of appointing Moore was too much considering what we could lose this season. That's why this decision seems so cut throat but in reality, from a business sense it was probably the right move. Our overheads have got to be at the top of the league.. how do people expect us to make up the deficit of the TV money if we dont go up... sell all our best players and become a shell of the team we are even now? The fact of the matter is that anyone watching us consistently this season will be able to allude to the fact that there has been far more occasions where we have relied on luck or individual brilliance than solid team cohesion and performances. That's got us to 4th in the league but its clear we've been found out and our threats nullified? People may point to the fact we switched formation against Leeds at home or we've had injuries like Phillips.. the point is we should have a plan b,c,d and e for all these things and we don't. I love DM but since Barnes has left can anyone seriously say that they have been satisfied or we look likely for promotion? He'll always be a legend but I felt this was never going to end well. He should have been nurtured in some sort of role with an experienced manager to see the highs and lows and mistakes to avoid that is being a championship manager.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3790 on: March 11, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
The Norwich fan makes more sense then most on here. How people still think Murphy is a decent replacement for Barns and Montero is any where near Phillips level and still claim we have the best in the league is laughable. If we don't go up that is the number one reason why for me. No doubt the football club board Shills will be along to blame it all on Moore.

How much of the £38 mill on wages is on players that took us down not replacements to get us back up. I doubt that figures is right anyway.
How people can come on a board of opinions and have the disrespect to call others opinions laughable.....could be deemed laughable
Montero against Sheffield Utd was much more direct and positive than Phillips has been since he came back
I personally think we do have the best first 11 in this league, if utilised correctly .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3791 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
Have to say the Adrian Durham stuff is disgraceful.

If i was the club lawyers i would be looking into that because he has implied that Darren Moore was sacked because he was black which is nonsense. Fans may be split on the decision but i have yet to see any fan say he was sacked because he was black and fans normally are the most irrational when it comes to things like this.

As a club who has broke down many barriers and did / do so much to promote black participation in football i think its an insult that some jumped up click bait 'presenter' should be allowed to spout his views on a national platform when there is not one bit of evidence to suggest he is right, problem is if you phone or text in then you are giving him exactly what he wants.

I know people like Durham are there for that reason but there is a big difference between saying so and so is off form, or the club have made a bad appointment, the ground manager isnt doing a good enough job, to then jump into racism accusations.

I actually dont think it helps when people like Troy Townsend are immediately out implying a racism angle too, its a lazy accusation, if they looked into it they would see except for Pulis, Albion have sacked managers after six months on average for a number of years - Mel, Irvine, Pardew, they are all white.

There are loads of good black coaches out there, i get to work with a few of them and they have said themselves that although some clubs dont appointment managers due to their skin colour (which is a disgrace) other clubs are also scared of the above scenario happening - appoint a black manager, if it doesnt work out they get sacked and then the club is accused or racism.

Its not fair on good coaches who want a chance but are being restricted because of the backlash if things dont work out if they get the chance.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3792 on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:38 PM »

If i was the club lawyers i would be looking into that because he has implied that Darren Moore was sacked because he was black which is nonsense. Fans may be split on the decision but i have yet to see any fan say he was sacked because he was black and fans normally are the most irrational when it comes to things like this.

As a club who has broke down many barriers and did / do so much to promote black participation in football i think its an insult that some jumped up click bait 'presenter' should be allowed to spout his views on a national platform when there is not one bit of evidence to suggest he is right, problem is if you phone or text in then you are giving him exactly what he wants.

I know people like Durham are there for that reason but there is a big difference between saying so and so is off form, or the club have made a bad appointment, the ground manager isnt doing a good enough job, to then jump into racism accusations.

I actually dont think it helps when people like Troy Townsend are immediately out implying a racism angle too, its a lazy accusation, if they looked into it they would see except for Pulis, Albion have sacked managers after six months on average for a number of years - Mel, Irvine, Pardew, they are all white.

There are loads of good black coaches out there, i get to work with a few of them and they have said themselves that although some clubs dont appointment managers due to their skin colour (which is a disgrace) other clubs are also scared of the above scenario happening - appoint a black manager, if it doesnt work out they get sacked and then the club is accused or racism.

Its not fair on good coaches who want a chance but are being restricted because of the backlash if things dont work out if they get the chance.

You opened with Talk sport and Adrian Durham. They are a radio station that thrive on saying inflammatory things to get a reaction (they employ Jim White).
I assume Durham didn’t point out that we were one of very few teams (maybe 3 off the top of my head) in the top two divisions to actually appoint a black manager...

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3793 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »
You opened with Talk sport and Adrian Durham. They are a radio station that thrive on saying inflammatory things to get a reaction (they employ Jim White).
I assume Durham didn’t point out that we were one of very few teams (maybe 3 off the top of my head) in the top two divisions to actually appoint a black manager...

Yes, but he said we employed him because we had no choice not because we wanted to!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3794 on: March 11, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
Everyone knows what Talksport are like and what they do, they like to talk about should managers be getting sacked, players been out of form, etc as it gets a rise but i think when they start throwing a very serious subject like racism about, thats a line crossed even for them.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3795 on: March 11, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »

I’ve just had this argument on a banter page on FB...they posted about Talksports angle  and basically every black guy called me out as a racist for agreeing he should be sacked.

When I went into our proud club tradition of breaking the barriers of racism with Regis, Cunningham et al..I was told that was a load of rubbish as we employed Atkinson who is a racist! They all agree it was a racist decision to sack him, because we are 4th!

This is the world we live in now, when even a manager who gets rightly relieved of his duties is now only sacked because he is black. I asked how did he get the job in the first place...no replies
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3796 on: March 11, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »
What i dont get is.. if they weren’t going to have someone in quickly. Why not leave the sacking until the international break?
Because we would be sitting about 8th by then had Dave carried on,even the caretaker only has to read the posts on here regarding who plays where and formations,take notice and we will be fine,after Ipswich it can only get better,famous last words

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3797 on: March 11, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
I’ve just had this argument on a banter page on FB...they posted about Talksports angle  and basically every black guy called me out as a racist for agreeing he should be sacked.

When I went into our proud club tradition of breaking the barriers of racism with Regis, Cunningham et al..I was told that was a load of rubbish as we employed Atkinson who is a racist! They all agree it was a racist decision to sack him, because we are 4th!

This is the world we live in now, when even a manager who gets rightly relieved of his duties is now only sacked because he is black. I asked how did he get the job in the first place...no replies

Well put sir.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3798 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »
Whether Moore could of coped with the pressure of the playoffs is one thing but there is no evidence to suggest we wouldnt of made them, as somebody pointed out above we have more points from the last 15 games than we did the first 15.

we have hardly been out the top 6 all season and currently have a 7 point gap, if automatic was what he was told was the target and he agreed to it then it looks like he failed, however if play offs was the target he was well on course to reach them.

like i say whether he was savvy enough to get us up once in them is another thing entirely.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3799 on: March 11, 2019, 11:29:12 PM »
I’ve just had this argument on a banter page on FB...This is the world we live in now, when even a manager who gets rightly relieved of his duties is now only sacked because he is black. I asked how did he get the job in the first place...no replies

And therein lies the route of your problems earlier, Facefk...... who on earth thought they could have any kind of reasoned debate on that clusterfk of a medium - ever? Wasting your time chap.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.