Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854755 times)

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #1225 on: August 27, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
People getting offended on other people's behalf ! Massive problem with today's society,  just my opinion

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1226 on: August 27, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Apologies in advance, well not really, Oh for God's sake get a grip

Just my opinion of course!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1227 on: August 27, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »
Apologies in advance, well not really, Oh for God's sake get a grip

Just my opinion of course!

It's all about opinions

Uncle Peter

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1228 on: August 27, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
Let's put it this way, if it had been aimed at me, I would have been a bit miffed.

I should imagine you would be, unless you were a genuine look-a-like for the character on the pot noodle advert. Or you were trying to engender yourself to the fans of your new club.

Genuine question, have you ever had a nickname?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1229 on: August 27, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
I should imagine you would be, unless you were a genuine look-a-like for the character on the pot noodle advert. Or you were trying to engender yourself to the fans of your new club.

Genuine question, have you ever had a nickname?

As I've said, it's all about opinions.

I've no knowledge on whether or not Darren Moore himself finds the nickname derogatory or disrespectful. According to one poster, he's OK with it.

Personally, I'd find it disrespectful.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1230 on: August 27, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
just slightly below par for the season so far, Bolton result most annoying. cant afford another 5 losses if we are to go up. the longer we stay in this division the harder it gets
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1231 on: August 28, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »
Without wishing to stir the Pot on the Big Dave debate. (Sorry ::)

I personally don't think it is disrespectful however whether or not it grates with Darren after 15 years might be a different matter but unless the man himself says something about it we won't ever know. 

If you are an ex-player of note and you choose to have an association with your former club never make the mistake of taking the manager's job, because at that point the relationship between yourself and the fans changes forever.  Darren Moore the much loved former player could be "Big Dave" it was of it's time and was part of the club's folklore there is a certain amount of fondness and an unconditional love about it

Darren Moore the Head Coach can't be Big Dave. Fans pick his every decision to pieces obsess about his utterances in new conferences and criticise his work in the most unflattering terms. There is nothing unconditional about the relationship within weeks of him being appointed. Sorry Big Dave has gone you can't pore scorn on the man's head in one moment and then use the matey nickname the next.

No it isn't disrespectful but it doesn't work in the way it once did.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1232 on: August 28, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
I don't think big dave is rude or was disrespectful of him at the time. That said, I have made a concious effort every since he became manager to call him Moore as it felt more appropriate with him now the gaffer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:41:23 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1233 on: August 28, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
Let it rest.
He's Big Dave, Darren Moore, DM, Dazza whatever.
He's the coach manager.
Great affiliation with the club or not he will sink or swim on the decisions he makes and the results he gets not by what his name is.
He's getting a lot more slack at the moment from the fans because he is remembered for the time he played for us.
If we had appointed an 'outsider' the 'he's gotta goo Franksy' brigade would have been on the rise by now.
If we don't start knocking a few results together I don't think that point is too far away.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1234 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
Let it rest.
He's the coach manager.
Great affiliation with the club or not he will sink or swim on the decisions he makes and the results he gets not by what his name is.
He's getting a lot more slack at the moment from the fans because he is remembered for the time he played for us.
If we had appointed an 'outsider' the 'he's gotta goo Franksy' brigade would have been on the rise by now.
If we don't start knocking a few results together I don't think that point is too far away.
Not true for the vast majority I don't think. He inherited an overpaid, under performing and aging squad who were geared to play defensive football over a long period, and most of us understand that it will take time to change the side and get it playing well and effectively. Anyone who thinks everything will gel immediately and we will storm the league is deluded. It's a work in progress. This season will be up and down, but will certainly be more enjoyable than what we have been used to for a few years. If DM has the team finish top half, that will be about par, top 6 would be a good achievement, and promotion would be an outstanding achievement (and one we are probably not ready for just yet).

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1235 on: August 28, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
Let it rest.
He's the coach manager.
I would imagine how he is referred to is the last thing on his mind at the moment and, as has already been said, he doesn't find it offensive so it matters not if anyone else does to be honest. Agree, let it rest.
As for the slack he is getting, I also agree that it is down to his affiliation to the club, but I think that is a great thing. Yes he's a inexperienced and a bit naive but he's still learning and working his way into what is a very difficult role in a hostile environment. In that sense I am glad he is here because he will get a bit more time to find his feet and hopefully will evolve into a very capable head coach. Of course there are no guarantees that he will succeed but I have seen enough so far to suggest he is definitely worth my patience.
That being said, he's not teflon and should be criticised if he gets things wrong, like playing Brunt in the centre or not using his subs as well as he might, but I would hope the criticism would be more constructive than  "he's gotta goo".
If we do pull the trigger too early, I think we will regret it in the long run and possibly lament what could have been.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1236 on: August 28, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
I don't think that Big D is getting any more slack than another, more experienced manager would have.  We are still only a few games into a season in which the manager is trying to completely change not only the style of play, but also the mind set of the playing staff from one of playing with the fear of losing to playing with the bravery to win.  TP's legacy is a squad full of so called Premier League players with limited technical ability and attacking flair - this has been proven by the fact that a young loanee, Harvey Barnes, is already our most creative and dangerous player by some distance.   I missed the Norwich game through illness (typical) but from what I have seen so far, apart from Barnes only Phillips looks like a player who is top quality even at this level.  Big D hasn't been backed financially - with the one in, one out, policy really causing problems as this includes Barry and Chadli who are still taking up big salaries and pretty much blocking our purchase of another CM or AM player that we all know (including Darren Moore) we need. 

Big D has shown himself to be open to ideas and flexible in his tactics, also bringing in a very good number 2.    An area of criticism might be his persistence with Brunt and Livermore as a central two, but he is certainly not the first manager to look to his more experienced pro's to click before turning to his youngsters.  As fans we would love to see some academy players come in and solve all our problems, but how often does this really happen? The management team see the players in training everyday and obviously see weaknesses as well as strengths.  That's not to say I wouldn't love to see Field or Harper given a chance and I still hope that will happen.

Being back in this division is a learning journey for the whole club as well as Darren Moore, and I also think making the play-offs would be a fantastic achievement for him.  If we don't go up and lose some more of these Premier League players then so be it, I don't think I will be mourning there passing if we can replace them with more young, hungry and technically proficient players that will be suited to an attacking set-up.   I would rather be taking my boy to watch an attacking team we can relate to and be proud of rather than have another season of Premier League drudgery where the main entertainment is spot the millionaire.   

So given the circumstances, would any other manager already be under pressure following some indifferent performances but also a 7-1 win at home?  I would also like to think once the dust settles on a defeat or poor performance that the vast majority of fans would still be behind any manager.  The fact that the one we have is inexperienced but Albion to the core, has fantastic values and seems to have the respect of everybody in the game he comes across can only be a further reason to continue backing him, surely? I also think there is a chance, maybe a slim one, that the partnership between Darren Moore and Jones can produce something special in regards to not only results but also regaining our footballing identify.  So come on Darren Moore and COYB.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1237 on: August 28, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
I don't think that Big D is getting any more slack than another, more experienced manager would have.  We are still only a few games into a season in which the manager is trying to completely change not only the style of play, but also the mind set of the playing staff from one of playing with the fear of losing to playing with the bravery to win.  TP's legacy is a squad full of so called Premier League players with limited technical ability and attacking flair - this has been proven by the fact that a young loanee, Harvey Barnes, is already our most creative and dangerous player by some distance.   I missed the Norwich game through illness (typical) but from what I have seen so far, apart from Barnes only Phillips looks like a player who is top quality even at this level.  Big D hasn't been backed financially - with the one in, one out, policy really causing problems as this includes Barry and Chadli who are still taking up big salaries and pretty much blocking our purchase of another CM or AM player that we all know (including Darren Moore) we need. 

Big D has shown himself to be open to ideas and flexible in his tactics, also bringing in a very good number 2.    An area of criticism might be his persistence with Brunt and Livermore as a central two, but he is certainly not the first manager to look to his more experienced pro's to click before turning to his youngsters.  As fans we would love to see some academy players come in and solve all our problems, but how often does this really happen? The management team see the players in training everyday and obviously see weaknesses as well as strengths.  That's not to say I wouldn't love to see Field or Harper given a chance and I still hope that will happen.

Being back in this division is a learning journey for the whole club as well as Darren Moore, and I also think making the play-offs would be a fantastic achievement for him.  If we don't go up and lose some more of these Premier League players then so be it, I don't think I will be mourning there passing if we can replace them with more young, hungry and technically proficient players that will be suited to an attacking set-up.   I would rather be taking my boy to watch an attacking team we can relate to and be proud of rather than have another season of Premier League drudgery where the main entertainment is spot the millionaire.   

So given the circumstances, would any other manager already be under pressure following some indifferent performances but also a 7-1 win at home?  I would also like to think once the dust settles on a defeat or poor performance that the vast majority of fans would still be behind any manager.  The fact that the one we have is inexperienced but Albion to the core, has fantastic values and seems to have the respect of everybody in the game he comes across can only be a further reason to continue backing him, surely? I also think there is a chance, maybe a slim one, that the partnership between Darren Moore and Jones can produce something special in regards to not only results but also regaining our footballing identify.  So come on Darren Moore and COYB.

That's a very good post for an opening one. Welcome to westbrom.com mate.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1238 on: August 28, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
I cannot agree that top half is par.

Having played five games I genuinely believe this squad is more than capable of top 6. We should be challenging for top two.

There is still talent in this squad, and it shouldn't take 12 months to turnaround.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1239 on: August 28, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »

Cracking post chap and one pretty much after my own heart  8) 8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1240 on: August 28, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

Where is the evidence that Moore has identified a CM as a problem area?

I agree that Moore could have been backed more, but the evidence is that a central midfielder was never his priority (with DM seemingly happy with Brunt and Livermore), with Moore instead targeting a right back, despite central midfield (IMO) being the most important area needing attention.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1241 on: August 28, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »
Where is the evidence that Moore has identified a CM as a problem area?

I agree that Moore could have been backed more, but the evidence is that a central midfielder was never his priority (with DM seemingly happy with Brunt and Livermore), with Moore instead targeting a right back, despite central midfield (IMO) being the most important area needing attention.

There is some presumption on my part here.  But this is based around my observation of the one in, one out, system that we seem to be operating on transfers.  I don't think its a case that he doesn't want another central midfielder (what manager wouldn't want to improve the middle of the part) its more the case that whilst we have Barry and Chadli on the books he can't have one.  Only from what I've observed so no facts or ITK.   However, if we are getting rid of Nyom and replacing him with Mears on a rolling contract......what chance do we have of actually buying a decent CM or AM whilst those other two are taking up wages.  It would seem things are financially tighter than we realised which is impacting more on recruitment than we realised.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1242 on: August 28, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »
There is some presumption on my part here.  But this is based around my observation of the one in, one out, system that we seem to be operating on transfers.  I don't think its a case that he doesn't want another central midfielder (what manager wouldn't want to improve the middle of the part) its more the case that whilst we have Barry and Chadli on the books he can't have one.  Only from what I've observed so no facts or ITK.   However, if we are getting rid of Nyom and replacing him with Mears on a rolling contract......what chance do we have of actually buying a decent CM or AM whilst those other two are taking up wages.  It would seem things are financially tighter than we realised which is impacting more on recruitment than we realised.

Think that's been quite obvious when you look at the business this summer, every departure has been replaced with a similar positioned player on a lower wage.

Foster > Johnstone
Evans > Bartley
McClean > Barnes
McAuley > Tosin
Nyom > Mears/Townsend
Rondon > Gayle (not sure on the figures in this one but may be the only one that is close wages wise)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1243 on: August 28, 2018, 12:21:19 PM »
Think that's been quite obvious when you look at the business this summer, every departure has been replaced with a similar positioned player on a lower wage.

Foster > Johnstone
Evans > Bartley
McClean > Barnes
McAuley > Tosin
Nyom > Mears/Townsend
Rondon > Gayle (not sure on the figures in this one but may be the only one that is close wages wise)

I would agree, but I think the Mears deal has really driven this home.  At least there seemed other footballing reasons behind the other signings

Foster > Johnstone - one of the best young keepers outside the Premier league
Evans > Bartley - potentially a very solid championship defender
McClean > Barnes - take him EVERYDAY
McAuley > Tosin - young, tall potentially good on the ball
Rondon > Gayle  - swapped a workhorse for a proven goal scorer

Nyom > Mears - errrrmmmm, he's cheap back up and easy to get rid of :)

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1244 on: August 28, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
Promised myself I would give Big Dave a year but three areas concern me so far -

Firstly, signing TM - I don’t believe he’s worth even as back-up, if it’s to see us into January then fine. I’m also disappointed in the PR, this is not a significant signing (it’s actually embarrassing) so why champion the MLS when we know fully we’ll how mediocre the league is. I’d rather use funds for young promising player (remember Dawson from Rochdale) or despite not like for like keep on GM.

Secondly, not valuing balance in the midfield as Livermore and Brunt simply don’t work and adds unnecessary additional criticism to a modern club hero that genuinely cares.

Thirdly, GJ made a big statement in the press before Boro game, only for us to try and play out a draw for the last 20 minutes - unacceptable for a team supposedly aiming for the title/100points/100goals. In addition Darren Moore completely overplayed our performance.

A few things bugging me so far, I’m concerned because next season their will be no Barnes, no Morrison, no Brunt, no Gayle, no Dawson etc. I’m hoping we at least hit the play offs in some form.

I believe in Darren Moore and GJ but we need to kick-on hopefully starting with Stoke.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:18:44 PM by letmereadposts »

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1245 on: August 28, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
As much as I disagreed with the Darren Moore appointment I would only like him to be sacked if both of the following criteria are met

- It is mathematically impossible for us to finish in the top 6

- Throughout the season we have not seen enough to suggest we would get into the top 6 in the 2019/2020 season

It is still only August and there is a lot of football still to be played.

I think this is how I’m feeling, it’s a strange position for us knowing we have similar chances of run away with the league or finish mid table.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1246 on: August 28, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
I want Darren to succeed and like all previous coaches and managers I'll give him time but if his hands are tied when it comes to finance's then he should explain it to us fans who would appreciate the honesty.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1247 on: August 28, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
I want Darren to succeed and like all previous coaches and managers I'll give him time but if his hands are tied when it comes to finance's then he should explain it to us fans who would appreciate the honesty.

Like the sentiment but its naive in the extreme.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1248 on: August 28, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
Sad to say but i fear Darren is Jenkins puppet, cheap, grateful for the job and won't rock the ship. He will be discarded by Jenkins if we struggle, to deflect away from the real culprits. This was an old trick of Jeremiahs. I hope Darren is a success, he's a good bloke, but even if he takes us up how much will he be given to spend?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1249 on: August 28, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
It's not even the end of August and some are talking about the criteria on which we should sack the Head Coach after he has had only five competitive games under his belt and with a win rate of 40%, now that seems negative to me.

And I though we used to sing "We know who we are", well, clearly, some have delusions of grandeur 
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.