Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844420 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #900 on: August 08, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »
Looked like Jones took over from sideline when Gale came on and even shook Forests managers first after game. Could it be player's are trying to jump ship before window shuts because of a naive head coach. Love for Darren to prove me wrong but pre and post match interviews he comes across  poorly.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #901 on: August 08, 2018, 12:09:16 AM »
Wanted him, but now..thank you and good night.

Come on mukka, Not in the slightest has it been the start that can give us any hope in fact the opposite can be said but to call  for his head is a no no for me. It's not all his fault

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #902 on: August 08, 2018, 12:18:06 AM »
I just cannot fathom the Brunt-Livermore partnership. If other teams get legs around them then we're screwed from the first whistle. I really hope DM can see this - like literally every other fan can.

I thought it was telling tonight how confused each and every pundit was with our tactics and general game plan. It's worrying and I hope it's something that we're not going to go to Norwich and do...

I also agree with you Jacko about getting Sam Field in the team, when fit, but do you honestly think DM will put him in the team, in place of Livermore or Brunty? Can't see it myself.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #903 on: August 08, 2018, 02:04:44 AM »
Wanted Smith but have backed Moore and will continue too despite a rocky start. I don’t think people realise how long it will take to change things. There was a malaise that set in and it will take time. Squad wise he inherited some good footballers but a lopsided squad. I personally don’t think Moore has been backed in the transfer market and we want to shift some players on but has anyone bid for them? Livermore, Nyom, Hegazi and Gibbs have been mentioned but no concrete offers or credible rumours. Dawson and Chadli haven’t been available yet.
We also ended last season with Livermore, Barry, Field, Morrison, Yacob and Greg (loan) as our central midfield options...so much variety there ;)
I agree with the midfield comments 100% but for me it will take 2 maybe 3 windows to sort out the mess.
Someone said Moore makes his 7th signing with Gayle (3 were goalkeepers) and 2 were loan signings.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #904 on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
Two games , lots of change, players wanting out, only got an assistant last week, no DoF sonrunning transfers more himself (imagine the time calls, meetings research , admin takes to the detriment of training). We’ll know more 15 games after the window is shut . Jones could be a key appointment and one which bolsters BDs inexperience/ lack of technical experience as a coach. Let’s wait and see for a bit Jones and Darren Moore together could be good!?

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #905 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:12 AM »
For me the comments from David Johnson spoke volumes. He was shocked that our tactics were to soak up away from home with the quality we have. Early days but there is much to be concerned about with Moore. I said I would back him and I will but this needs to improve and quickly. He must sort out the middle of the park as a matter of urgency.
He did equally say we should have scored more goals and pointed out we hit the woodwork on four occasions and could have won the game  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #906 on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
Away from home at one of the title favourites and people are surprised that the tactic was to stifle the opposition before pushing on to get a winner. Pretty much standard fare up and down the leagues (arguably boring, but fairly common even with experienced coaches). It wasn't pretty but it resulted in very few chances for the home team and was forcing them to shoot from 40 yards which should have been comfortable.  We created far better opportunities. As to the pundit not understanding our game plan, easy target for Dingle Don to claim against an inexperienced coach and a bandwagon for Sky (and our own support)to jump on. Our team have played together for less than 180 minutes in competitive football and some aren't as good as we think. It'll take more than two games to sort out.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #907 on: August 08, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
Wanted him, but now..thank you and good night.

Unbelievable comment.....

Good job Manchester United were not of the same mindset when they hired some scottish bloke.
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #908 on: August 08, 2018, 07:47:17 AM »
We will get a clearer picture in a few games time, when Moore will hopefully have Dawson, Chadli, Field and a couple of new signings available, but this start has not been good.

It always worries me when a manager comes in and says "I don't have a footballing philosophy". Di Matteo said the same, and while he did get us promotion, he has since gone on to show that he hasn't quite got enough to last as a manager having been sacked by us, Chelsea and Villa following poor league results.

A coach working in the game for a few years should have an idea how he wants the game to be played, be that defensive like Pulis, passing like Cruyff/Guardiola or fast pressing like Klopp/Bielsa.

When somebody comes in and says "I do 't have a philosophy", it just gives me the impression that they aren't particularly football thinkers, but more and more successful managers nowadays are and you can just be out thought if you don't really havr an opinion on tactics. Anyone can come in and make it up as they go along. We need more than that.
Boing Boing

bigwigjack

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #909 on: August 08, 2018, 07:48:56 AM »
Think some comments are harsh at best, down right ridiculous at worst. I think not sorting out the backroom staff  till late on is affecting us. Jones has probably only had  1 or 2 sessions with the team. You can see he is trying to influence things, and help Darren Moore.

To be calling for his head is ridiculous. Once Thursday is out the way, so we know what we have and can settle, and he has had a run of games, then it's time to judge.

Everyone expecting miracles is crazy, he braught the club back together, at least give him the decency of a fair crack at it.
BOING BOING

Smethwickender93

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #910 on: August 08, 2018, 08:08:46 AM »
I love Big Dave and will continue to back him but it just feels we have put a Sunday league manager in charge of the same set of players that got us relegated last season.

Players are unsure what there jobs are and with Darren Moore shouting things from the touch line like ‘defend’ and ‘you’ve got to work’ just reminds me of my playing days (which was a poor standard)

It’s the body language of the players that’s worrying me. I was looking forward to the championship with us having a reshuffle but I’m not convinced with this set of players and management.

Maybe that point last night is what we need to kickstart our season with a couple of additions.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #911 on: August 08, 2018, 08:24:11 AM »
Unbelievable comment.....

Good job Manchester United were not of the same mindset when they hired some scottish bloke.

...some Scottish bloke who had won 3 league titles back when Scotland was a viable league, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 Scottish League Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and the European Super Cup  :o :-X

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #912 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
Sheff Utd pointless; some wanted wilder here. Not once have I seen people call for
Him to be sacked. One of the pre season favs. And it's actually his squad

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #913 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
hes got all the time in the world. just pass the ball to feet a bit more Darren, theres a good chap
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #914 on: August 08, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
"Droitchwitch" says it all. Has anyone actually been? They look down on normal people as peasents.

I actually can't believe people are actually calling him to go. It's 2 games and are currently in a switch over period. I think some fans really want him to fail and for us to get relegated so they can say told you so ....

Had my fill of that with us keeping Pulis on and it ending exactly as I predicted it would.

I believe everyone is of the same mind when it comes to Darren, that we are longing for it to be a success as we all love the bloke, but we can see already that he just is not up to the job. I was openly vehement at the time in not wanting him to be appointed and was in the minority at that point, but I have seen nothing thus far to dispel all the doubts I had about him in the job, he can't even get the name of the opponents ground correct.

If we started the season playing an attractive and effective brand of football I would be turning round my opinions, but the facts are that we are not and he is not addressing the problems that are patently obvious for all to see and ultimately it is his job to do that.

Sadly even if he were to go, I do not think Dean Smith would come here now so we end up in a position just like we did last season whereby we are scrambling round in the dark for a new manager because yet again the decisions made by those paid infinitely more than I am were so badly wrong.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #915 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
We are in a changeover period, the team that started yesterday wont be the one that starts in 2/3 weeks time.

We looked a different prospect when Gayle came on, higher up the pitch, more players in and around the box, Barnes drifting in, Phillips causing problems. I also seemed to note that Jones took more of a front foot in the technical area during that period.

The first half (apart from the first 5 minutes) we had no idea of the formation/set up or what we were meant to be doing. We rode our luck at times but that's football.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what business happens with incoming/outgoings today and tomorrow.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #916 on: August 08, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
But how can you want someone out after 2 games ?

It's not FIFA or football manager. We have our future at stake. Who the **** would want to come here after we sacked Moore after a couple of games

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #917 on: August 08, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
But how can you want someone out after 2 games ?

It's not FIFA or football manager. We have our future at stake. Who the **** would want to come here after we sacked Moore after a couple of games

I don't think anyone is truly calling for his head right now, I am just assuming a great number of people are just wishing we hadn't made the mistake in the first place. It was obvious that this is what would happen. All we can hope now is that the influence of Jones becomes more and more to the point whereby Darren's role becomes more limited and, combine that with the fact our squad is amongst the best in the league, results and performances naturally start to improve.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #918 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
Personally i dont want him sacked, think would be madness!

I think everyone wants Big Dave to succeed, and as others have said its still very early, i think around the 8-10-12 game mark is when we will get a good idea of how things are shaping up.

That said its normal after matches for us all to reflect and from what i have seen so far, i am far from impressed.

I know people say it will take a long time to change and i agree to an extent but i wonder what has been done in preseason because the last two games have been textbook performances from the last 18 months, with the exception of 5 minutes at the end last night.

I thought last night it was the players maybe being a bit cowardly by being so negative (and i think it was partly that) but when Big Dave said after we set out to stifle i didnt think that was a great sign.

Forest were decent, a lot better than us last night but they are nothing special, we have far superior players on paper to most teams in this league (yes that dreaded word 'on paper') and i would hope we will be taking the game to teams, at tempo, and stamping our superiority.

Thats not arrogance, our squad on paper (again!) should not have got relegated last season, however we setup most games not to lose for the last few seasons and by February 2017 the malaise had set in, the players are to blame but also our approach of being so cautious and negative eventually had its day.

We now have the chance to reverse that, i am hoping last nights approach was to just get points on the board and then from saturday we start playing like we did the last 5 minutes when we played higher up the pitch, added more tempo and started looking like the team we could be.

Worth noting too that Jones has probably only had three sessions with the team, i would imagine as an experienced assistant he will be saying to Big Dave we need to get on the front foot and raise the tempo from the off, if we do with attacking players like - Gayle, Barnes, Morrison, Phillips, Burke, Jrod (possibly) plus maybe one or two others to come in, most teams wont live with us, but we have to be positive, the last few seasons negative stuff has gone, this is a fresh start and Big Dave and the players should be embracing it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #919 on: August 08, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
Had my fill of that with us keeping Pulis on and it ending exactly as I predicted it would.

I believe everyone is of the same mind when it comes to Darren, that we are longing for it to be a success as we all love the bloke, but we can see already that he just is not up to the job. I was openly vehement at the time in not wanting him to be appointed and was in the minority at that point, but I have seen nothing thus far to dispel all the doubts I had about him in the job, he can't even get the name of the opponents ground correct.

If we started the season playing an attractive and effective brand of football I would be turning round my opinions, but the facts are that we are not and he is not addressing the problems that are patently obvious for all to see and ultimately it is his job to do that.

Sadly even if he were to go, I do not think Dean Smith would come here now so we end up in a position just like we did last season whereby we are scrambling round in the dark for a new manager because yet again the decisions made by those paid infinitely more than I am were so badly wrong.

You seem to be dismissing the impact that Graeme Jones will have.

GJ has been here for less than a week, I believe he will have a massive impact on how we play going forward.

When we went a goal behind last night, he seemed to take the game by the scruff of the neck & I'm pretty sure it was his decision to bring Gayle on.

I'm not convinced Darren Moore, on his own, will succeed, but with GJ's pedigree, I'm prepared to give the pair a chance.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #920 on: August 08, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Just to play devils advocate aswell, although for large parts Forest were better on the ball than us, I can only recall the ambitious shot that Johnstone really had to save (other than routine stops).

Gayle should arguably have scored.
Barnes should have scored.
The follow up from Barnes shot ( I believe it was JRod) probably should have scored.

We had better chances to win the game in my opinion.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #921 on: August 08, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
Just to play devils advocate aswell, although for large parts Forest were better on the ball than us, I can only recall the ambitious shot that Johnstone really had to save (other than routine stops).

Gayle should arguably have scored.
Barnes should have scored.
The follow up from Barnes shot ( I believe it was JRod) probably should have scored.

We had better chances to win the game in my opinion.
We did indeed but they had a few good openings that they stuffed up to be honest and allowed our defence to regroup.
If we can replace both fullbacks, drop Brunt and Livermore (or, at worst, at least one of them) I think between them Jones and Moore will get us creating chances and with Phillips, Barnes and Gayle up top we will start winning games. 

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #922 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »

Oh dear. If you really think that getting the opposition ground name wrong is some sort of capital offence, can I refer you to another Albion legend, who whilst a very successful manager, didn't get his own player's names right -BR.
After 180 minutes you appear to have written DM off as a failure. I think you need to develop a more sensible sense of proportion and timescale.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #923 on: August 08, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
Personally i dont want him sacked, think would be madness!

I think everyone wants Big Dave to succeed, and as others have said its still very early, i think around the 8-10-12 game mark is when we will get a good idea of how things are shaping up.

That said its normal after matches for us all to reflect and from what i have seen so far, i am far from impressed.

I know people say it will take a long time to change and i agree to an extent but i wonder what has been done in preseason because the last two games have been textbook performances from the last 18 months, with the exception of 5 minutes at the end last night.

I thought last night it was the players maybe being a bit cowardly by being so negative (and i think it was partly that) but when Big Dave said after we set out to stifle i didnt think that was a great sign.

Forest were decent, a lot better than us last night but they are nothing special, we have far superior players on paper to most teams in this league (yes that dreaded word 'on paper') and i would hope we will be taking the game to teams, at tempo, and stamping our superiority.

Thats not arrogance, our squad on paper (again!) should not have got relegated last season, however we setup most games not to lose for the last few seasons and by February 2017 the malaise had set in, the players are to blame but also our approach of being so cautious and negative eventually had its day.

We now have the chance to reverse that, i am hoping last nights approach was to just get points on the board and then from saturday we start playing like we did the last 5 minutes when we played higher up the pitch, added more tempo and started looking like the team we could be.

Worth noting too that Jones has probably only had three sessions with the team, i would imagine as an experienced assistant he will be saying to Big Dave we need to get on the front foot and raise the tempo from the off, if we do with attacking players like - Gayle, Barnes, Morrison, Phillips, Burke, Jrod (possibly) plus maybe one or two others to come in, most teams wont live with us, but we have to be positive, the last few seasons negative stuff has gone, this is a fresh start and Big Dave and the players should be embracing it.

My thoughts too
The last 6 games of last season we reverted back to a TP style of play and Darren said that this was the system that the players were comfortable with. It worked well, but that containing style always worked well against the better sides. It was a style that was useless to break sides down. My worry when he was appointed was that he would continue with this style of play. However our mentality this year has to be to win games and not solely to stifle other teams.
So far all I have seen is a continuation of the TP style and we will go nowhere with this approach. Brunt is aweful as a central midfielder and both him and Livermore sitting just infront of the back four wont get us promoted. Darren needs to change quickly and adopt an approach to take games to other teams. If not I stand by my prediction that he wont be here in October.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #924 on: August 08, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
Oh dear. If you really think that getting the opposition ground name wrong is some sort of capital offence, can I refer you to another Albion legend, who whilst a very successful manager, didn't get his own player's names right -BR.
After 180 minutes you appear to have written DM off as a failure. I think you need to develop a more sensible sense of proportion and timescale.

It was just another thing that epitomised the issue that we have with him, which is on top of the numerous weeks of cliches that he has spouted without giving any form of insight.

Time will tell ultimately, but we have been given nothing from him thus far that lends itself to demonstrating that he has the tactical acumen to be in such a huge job in football. I am praying that things start to improve with Jones in place and that we get better on the pitch in spite of Darren's limitations.