Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 843892 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #625 on: June 06, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #626 on: June 06, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
This story seems to have gone under the radar but it has alarmed me a bit. If our transfer policy is going to be based on Big Dave's phone book then I feel we really have gone back on everything that made us a success back 8 years ago.

Clubs all over the world understand the importance of good scouting now including more and more English clubs. They hire directors of football and top scouts and look all over the world for players. Big Dave will no doubt know a lot of people having played at the top level for a fair few years, however how many of his contacts will honestly know about the next big thing in the Serbian or Romanian leagues?

Good scouting could allow us to find the next Robert Lewandowski or Luca Modric (both of whom we nearly signed when theu were in their native countries). I don't want us to just look at players in the British leagues who are over priced and often limited.

I really want to look forward to the new season as it is a chance for us to start winning games again after a few tough seasons post Dan Ashworth, but there are so many alarm bells ringing for me that i'm struggling. The club needs to go back to it's basics, instead of the current situation where it is unclear who does what and how decisions are made (other than on a whim like Lai seems to do). We will only have parachute payments for a limited time. Use them wisely.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #627 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
This story seems to have gone under the radar but it has alarmed me a bit. If our transfer policy is going to be based on Big Dave's phone book then I feel we really have gone back on everything that made us a success back 8 years ago.

Clubs all over the world understand the importance of good scouting now including more and more English clubs. They hire directors of football and top scouts and look all over the world for players. Big Dave will no doubt know a lot of people having played at the top level for a fair few years, however how many of his contacts will honestly know about the next big thing in the Serbian or Romanian leagues?

Good scouting could allow us to find the next Robert Lewandowski or Luca Modric (both of whom we nearly signed when theu were in their native countries). I don't want us to just look at players in the British leagues who are over priced and often limited.

I really want to look forward to the new season as it is a chance for us to start winning games again after a few tough seasons post Dan Ashworth, but there are so many alarm bells ringing for me that i'm struggling. The club needs to go back to it's basics, instead of the current situation where it is unclear who does what and how decisions are made (other than on a whim like Lai seems to do). We will only have parachute payments for a limited time. Use them wisely.

I’m hoping that story is one dimensional, considering we have a Technical Consultant, Giuliano Terraneo, who was given responsibilities for recruitment.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #628 on: June 06, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
It depends how they plan to make decisions albionfan. The club has lacked a clear structure ever since Ashworth left, with several football directors coming in with fancy titles but varying degrees of power. In the majority of Hammond's time here, Pulis signed the players he wanted and ignored Hammond from near enough all reports.

The owners have so far in 2 years displayed little evidence to convince that they are anywhere near nailing down a structure, with the latest move being to hire a 64 year old bloke who has had 1 concrete job in the last 17 years and made a pigs ear of it. His remit is apparantly to help over the summer and to find us a new technical director, although why he would want to find a replacement for himself remains to be seen and seeing as Lai eventually chose to forgoe the "attacking football" he briefed about by then going for Moore whi's success was based organisation rather than flair.

It just looks and feels messy.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #629 on: June 06, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
I acknowledge and take on board your points, but I do hope your assessment is wide of the mark for all our sakes and yours as well I suspect
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #630 on: June 06, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »

To be honest, so am I.

After Mark Jenkins' "No stone unturned" speech, I thought we'd be well ahead of the game this summer, but all I'm hearing is platitudes & soundbites.
As things stand, just can't see us competing.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: June 06, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
nearly 3 weeks since Moore was appointed manager permanently, it appeared that there would be a lot of activity this summer and the assistant role is one i thought we would have filled by now.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #632 on: June 06, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
Why is Dave on holiday?
I would have thought he should be on the case right now.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #633 on: June 06, 2018, 09:50:33 PM »
Why is Dave on holiday?

When should he go?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #634 on: June 06, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Why is Dave on holiday?

It's not only him on holiday but pretty much the majority of European football.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #635 on: June 06, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »

When should he go?

We don’t want him on holiday. We want him here, now, doing things, anythings as long as it gives the impression of movement. Making deals, appointing people, any people. We want activity, any activity, just do something Darren.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #636 on: June 06, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
Remember the old days, when factories and businesses used to close, at the same time, for two week summer holidays? It’s a bit like that for football at this moment. Then they open for business until the same time next year. I’m sure some poor sods still do stuff in the background, but it won’t amount to much.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #637 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:58 PM »
We don’t want him on holiday. We want him here, now, doing things, anythings as long as it gives the impression of movement. Making deals, appointing people, any people. We want activity, any activity, just do something Darren.

Nothing much is going to happen this side of the world cup.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #638 on: June 06, 2018, 11:29:17 PM »
The World Cup finishes on July 15th, by which time there will be 3.5 weeks before the transfer window closes.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #639 on: June 07, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »

Sorry, I forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoji to my post.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2018, 06:27:02 AM »
The World Cup finishes on July 15th, by which time there will be 3.5 weeks before the transfer window closes.

Loads of time to get the freebies and over 30's that nobody else wants.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #641 on: June 07, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoji to my post.

Haha fair play; as for July 15th not giving us enough time to do any business, we never start til then anyway.

I do feel Jenkins' speech was hot air. We'll never change.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #642 on: June 07, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
I would imagine a lot of his holiday time will be spent on the phone and laptop but we won't see anything concrete until he's back and that, for me, is a good thing. If we started employing assistants or buying players in his absence then it would just look like he wasn't in control.
I honestly think we will see a flurry of activity from next week onwards.

I really think a lot of people are underestimating Moore. Just because he's a nice bloke, doesn't make him weak. He's an intelligent, passionate and committed guy who will not be bullied, pretty much the same as he was as a player. How the fact that these characteristics have made him many friends within the game can be construed as negative is beyond me. I'm sure the likes of Pulis and Pardew had people who wouldn't even pick up the phone if their number popped up, whereas Darren will find many more open doors. I agree, we can't restrict our scouting but, who cares if we have a team full of British players? As long as they play as a team, with a bit of style, I would be more than happy.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #643 on: June 07, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
I have a feeling we won't spend a penny until we sell and we won't spend a penny more than what funds are generated through sales. We can't end up like Villa.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #644 on: June 07, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
I have a feeling we won't spend a penny until we sell and we won't spend a penny more than what funds are generated through sales. We can't end up like Villa.
I assume there won't be any actual money changing hands until July 1st when the window officially opens but deals in and out can and should be progressed in the meantime. I think you're right that we'll be doing things very carefully and Mr Jenkins will be studying the goings on at Villa with interest.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #645 on: June 07, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
It's not a negative setee that Moore has friends in the game. My concern is more about how it reads on paper with the limited transcript of the interview. Moore talks about his years in the game meaning he has built up contacts around the country who he can speak to assisting with the identification of players.

This approach is the one we used years ago when we used to yo yo and what we seemed to revert to under Pulis. It goes back to the old early 2000's era of signing players who do well at a major tournament because that is where clubs notice them.

It was only 5 or 6 years ago when Ashworth and co were still here that we would hear lots about players being scouted for 2 years, transfer departments recording hours and hours of games from across the world to identify the next player of interest and us finding bargains such as free transfer Claudio Yacob, Yousouff Mulumbu, Peter Odemwingie and Craig Dawson. That was the right way to do it, as there are pkayers currently at clubs in smaller European leagues, available for less than 4 million who will one day end up playing for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. I want our scouting to identify these players - not just the ones blokes working in lower league English scouting feel are handy.
Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #646 on: June 07, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
It's not a negative setee that Moore has friends in the game. My concern is more about how it reads on paper with the limited transcript of the interview. Moore talks about his years in the game meaning he has built up contacts around the country who he can speak to assisting with the identification of players.

This approach is the one we used years ago when we used to yo yo and what we seemed to revert to under Pulis. It goes back to the old early 2000's era of signing players who do well at a major tournament because that is where clubs notice them.

It was only 5 or 6 years ago when Ashworth and co were still here that we would hear lots about players being scouted for 2 years, transfer departments recording hours and hours of games from across the world to identify the next player of interest and us finding bargains such as free transfer Claudio Yacob, Yousouff Mulumbu, Peter Odemwingie and Craig Dawson. That was the right way to do it, as there are pkayers currently at clubs in smaller European leagues, available for less than 4 million who will one day end up playing for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. I want our scouting to identify these players - not just the ones blokes working in lower league English scouting feel are handy.
It would be great if we could get back to finding players who want to make their reputation with us, like Koren, Mulumbu, Yacob instead of Barry, Fletcher, Krychowiak who were all already jaded when they got here.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #647 on: June 08, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »

Let's please not use this as an excuse to sell players and not buy - we can definitely afford not to do that. Be very unfair on Darren if we were to go down that route.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: June 08, 2018, 09:07:11 AM »
Let's please not use this as an excuse to sell players and not buy - we can definitely afford not to do that. Be very unfair on Darren if we were to go down that route.
Jenkins has already said there is a substantial budget and we don't have to sell. No reason to believe otherwise.
The only reason we haven't seen any business is because DM is on holiday, as are most of players. I predict, and I stand to be shot down, that by the time the window closes, we will be among the top spenders in the division.
We were hamstrung by FFP in the Prem but, the flex down in wages along with the exodus of some of the top earners, should mean we can spend, provided we keep the wage bill proportionate. Or have I got that wrong?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #649 on: June 08, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
Jenkins has already said there is a substantial budget and we don't have to sell. No reason to believe otherwise.
The only reason we haven't seen any business is because DM is on holiday, as are most of players. I predict, and I stand to be shot down, that by the time the window closes, we will be among the top spenders in the division.
We were hamstrung by FFP in the Prem but, the flex down in wages along with the exodus of some of the top earners, should mean we can spend, provided we keep the wage bill proportionate. Or have I got that wrong?

That's pretty much my understanding of it too. It is the wages that were the issue not the money for transfers, at least with Krychowiak, Sturridge and Evans gone that's about £300K saved in wages already.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill