Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844286 times)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
It's amazing the change in atmosphere Big Dave has brought about in a few weeks in charge, however for me 3 or even 6 games is nowhere near enough to judge him able to take us into a massive rebuild and a long championship season. It seems we're all thinking along similar lines of putting in place a structure which allows greater longevity and succession planning which should include Big Dave.

We do need someone with experience of building/ rebuilding teams, relative success of developing younger players, possibly English league experience and possibly even championship experience (last two debatable of course). This means we'll likely have a shortlist of people who will be able to work with the existing coaches and build a legacy to avoid a Pulis style complete takeover which leads to an almost inevitable hangover at some stage.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
still pretty angry the players wernt playing for the shirt priorto Big Dave being head
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
still pretty angry the players wernt playing for the shirt priorto Big Dave being head
Have you never had a boss who was a complete idiot, who you had no respect for, and you certainly weren't going to knock your pan out for? I certainly have. I have also had bosses who I had utter respect for, and I would go the extra mile for. You will probably say that these are highly paid professionals who should play with pride and commitment whoever the boss is, and I would agree with you in principle, but human nature being what it is, it ain't going to happen.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »
Have you never had a boss who was a complete idiot, who you had no respect for, and you certainly weren't going to knock your pan out for? I certainly have. I have also had bosses who I had utter respect for, and I would go the extra mile for. You will probably say that these are highly paid professionals who should play with pride and commitment whoever the boss is, and I would agree with you in principle, but human nature being what it is, it ain't going to happen.

not that anyone would care but the players being half arsed will determine whether i will renew or not, it all depends whos left of this sad lot come august

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

Agree totally.

Darren Moore can't lose with this assignment, in the very unlikely event that he keeps us up, he'll be a hero, if we get relegated, it was expected anyway, but we went down fighting.

From 1 June however, all bets are off, & whoever is in charge then will be expected to deliver.
 I have to say though I was very impressed with the interview Neil Cutler gave about the coaching team & particularly the attention to detail from James Shan.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/25/meet-the-dedicated-coaching-team-behind-west-brom-caretaker-darren-moore/

I don't think it will be an easy decision on the new head coach.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
This is muddled thinking. For a start, what coach with any confidence in his own ability is going to take a job where he is just keeping the seat warm for someone else? I doubt if such a person exists.
But just for a moment, let's assume that we found this mythical person and project forward with a couple of very plausible outcomes.
1 He gets us promoted in his first season, and gets a top ten finish in his second, making some excellent signings along the way. The team is playing with confidence and there is a feel good factor about the club. What are you going to do? Sack him and replace him with Big Dave? I don't think so.
2 He is a disaster and we are bottom of the Championship with half the matches played. What are you going to do? Sack him and appoint Big Dave 18 months ahead of schedule? Sack him and look for someone else to appoint in mid season for 18 months? What if this person then steers us clear of relegation and then gets us promoted in the second season? Sack him and replace him with Big Dave? I don't think so.
We all love Big Dave. He is a legend. But maybe he needs a bit more experience to undertake the role of head coach. In which case, we appoint the best person we can find, and offer Big Dave a role within the new set up. If he continues to develop as a coach over the next few years, we can look at him in a few years and make the decision then. On the other hand, if he is ready now, let's appoint him now. This is a decision for those with a finger on the pulse within the club and they have to make a judgement. But, I would suggest, your "utterly ideal situation" is not an outcome that has even a sniff of actually happening.

I don't think its muddled thinking.
If we could get a coach that's coming to the end of his carear but wants one last Hurrah (The Big Phil Scholari or Arsen Wenger type) what better way to finish than with leaving a legacy for another coach to carry forward.
It wouldn't work if we were to appoint a younger on the way up coach though.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
This is muddled thinking. For a start, what coach with any confidence in his own ability is going to take a job where he is just keeping the seat warm for someone else? I doubt if such a person exists.
But just for a moment, let's assume that we found this mythical person and project forward with a couple of very plausible outcomes.
1 He gets us promoted in his first season, and gets a top ten finish in his second, making some excellent signings along the way. The team is playing with confidence and there is a feel good factor about the club. What are you going to do? Sack him and replace him with Big Dave? I don't think so.
2 He is a disaster and we are bottom of the Championship with half the matches played. What are you going to do? Sack him and appoint Big Dave 18 months ahead of schedule? Sack him and look for someone else to appoint in mid season for 18 months? What if this person then steers us clear of relegation and then gets us promoted in the second season? Sack him and replace him with Big Dave? I don't think so.
We all love Big Dave. He is a legend. But maybe he needs a bit more experience to undertake the role of head coach. In which case, we appoint the best person we can find, and offer Big Dave a role within the new set up. If he continues to develop as a coach over the next few years, we can look at him in a few years and make the decision then. On the other hand, if he is ready now, let's appoint him now. This is a decision for those with a finger on the pulse within the club and they have to make a judgement. But, I would suggest, your "utterly ideal situation" is not an outcome that has even a sniff of actually happening.

If this scenario does happen, I would expect that this coach would start to get looked at by the 'bigger boys' and potentially be poached - DM could then step in

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
I don't think its muddled thinking.
If we could get a coach that's coming to the end of his carear but wants one last Hurrah (The Big Phil Scholari or Arsen Wenger type) what better way to finish than with leaving a legacy for another coach to carry forward.
It wouldn't work if we were to appoint a younger on the way up coach though.

Within our existing structure, it is muddled thinking, but if we appointed a genuine Director of Football who had responsibility for all football matters, with the head coach reporting to the DoF, then, it could work, in principle.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
I'm starting to come round to the idea of giving Big Dave a chance. We say we need experience, but what good has that done us so far this season? We say we want a fresh approach but ignore one that's staring us in the face.

I think the only reason that we are not clamouring for Big Dave to get the gig is that we are terrified that he may fail. We don't want to see one of our legend's reputation tarnished.
Question is, is that fair? Why should he be held back? He's a (very) big lad, he doesn't need wrapping in cotton wool.
He knows the club, loves the club and the fans love him, shouldn't that give him one foot in the door? Who else fits that criteria? McInnes? Potter? Neither have anything like Darren Moore's affinity with WBA.

We keep saying we should bring in someone new but they MUST keep him on to continue his development. What if that's not what he wants or the new bloke wants? What if it happens but the new bloke does a great job, how long does he wait in the wings? Does he have to leave to get experience somewhere else, in the hope that one day he can come back?

We could be guilty of not seeing what's right in front of our noses so, I say, if he wants it, he gets my vote!

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
not that anyone would care but the players being half arsed will determine whether i will renew or not, it all depends whos left of this sad lot come august

oh is that time again  ??? ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »

No idea what you mean... he says it at least once a week.

;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »

what are you on about

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

;D

well if you want to support footballers who cant be bothered then thats up to you

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

;D

tune in for next seasons addition of will he won't he? presented by wbaindevon

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »
I am really quite grateful for the work that DM has done for us and it has added to his status as an Albion icon.  However, I think our judgement might be clouded by the truly terrible season and Management we have had this season.  That management being at more than one level as well.  We beat man Utd away- great result played well.  We drew with Liverpool (played with some spirit and had some luck).  Three results in total are not enough to reach a judgement and we would be taking a big risk if we appoint DM.  That being said I would still see at a bold and exhilarating appointment which would keep my interest for the early part of next year.  When we appointed Pardew, sorry but my heart sank...

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
In 4 games he has beaten Mourinho, Benitez and drawn with Klopp :) Not a bad start...

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
He deserves respect and the applause next week, we will most likely still go down but big Dave has given us monumental pride and has even made a couple of special memories with the United and Liverpool results. Thank you Darren Moore.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
In 4 games he has beaten Mourinho, Benitez and drawn with Klopp :) Not a bad start...
He's done incredibly well.
Shame we couldn't quite see out the Swansea game ... he might have even kept us up!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
You can't help but love the guy. So down to earth so level headed so honest and decent. What a wonderful man.

reynirver

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
He already had a mentor. The guy is ready! Experience is a overrated and has gotten us bored to death and relegated last 3 years. Moore in!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:51:37 PM by WBArgo »

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Yeah he's done enough.

Give him a 12 month rolling contract

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
His home record is poor - not won under him! Only joking!

:D

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
You can't help but love the guy. So down to earth so level headed so honest and decent. What a wonderful man.
That's why he should get the job, not a single applicant will have any of the above on his cv. Add to that his love for the club and it puts him head and (massive) shoulders above anyone else.
Big Davevin!!!

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
That's why he should get the job, not a single applicant will have any of the above on his cv. Add to that his love for the club and it puts him head and (massive) shoulders above anyone else.
Big Davevin!!!

Totally agree.

It's getting to the point where, looking at the touted candidates, it's more of a risk to give them the job rather than Darren Moore?

We've actually got something good going here for the first time in around 15 months, why on earth should we risk losing that?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
well pleased for Darren whatever may happen! smashing fella!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter