Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 60886 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Tyrone Mears signs official
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Think you're doing him a disservice , he's put in similar crosses in games recently including against Preston that led to the own goal.

I don't even need to check to know it was Dawson who played the ball in for the Preston own goal. As for the Gayle's 'assist' I was behind the goal in the Smeth'. While I'm grateful his ball in led to our goal, from it's initial trajectory if that's where he was aiming for and Gayle was his intended target then I'm Guochuan Lai  ;D  ;) .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:03:45 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »
So from what I’m reading anything bad Mears done will be picked up and ran with as a means to further condemn him. Anything good at all will be put down to a mistake/miskick/lucky break. Nice to know from the outset I suppose that the fella is on  a hiding to nothing.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
There's some rubbish posted on here.

Is the bloke good enough for a side at the top end of the Championship? Absolutely not. Is it his fault he was offered a deal, perhaps even with half an eye on taking a coaching role in the new year? No again. To suggest he isn't trying to didn't mean the two crosses that have lead to goals is downright disrespectful.

Would I like to see Edwards given a go in the team in Phillips is still injured after the international break? Yes, I think a lot of us would.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:31:55 PM by kris_boing »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Get used to it chaps.
He's in the side, he's wearing our shirt.
Have a go at him after the game if he deserves it and praise him if he deserves it.
To openly abuse or mock the bloke as he leaves the pitch is downright disrespectful.
We know he isn't good enough to dislodge Philips, he probably knows that himself, he's doing a filling in job.
The more I look at some of our fans the more I despair at times
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
So from what I’m reading anything bad Mears done will be picked up and ran with as a means to further condemn him. Anything good at all will be put down to a mistake/miskick/lucky break. Nice to know from the outset I suppose that the fella is on  a hiding to nothing.

Not from me. I gave credit for a ball in where it was due (Dawson) and told the truth from my angle regarding one ball in from Mears. It's my opinion based on what I observed, while not a ringing endorsement of his talents I'm not putting him down either. The fella's not on a hiding to nothing as far as I'm concerned. He's an Albion player and as such I want him to do the best he can. Conversely I'm not going to give him credit for something he hasn't done. As stated, I'm grateful his clearly mishit cross ended up in the back of the net.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
Get used to it chaps.
He's in the side, he's wearing our shirt.
Have a go at him after the game if he deserves it and praise him if he deserves it.
To openly abuse or mock the bloke as he leaves the pitch is downright disrespectful.
We know he isn't good enough to dislodge Philips, he probably knows that himself, he's doing a filling in job.
The more I look at some of our fans the more I despair at times

Couldn't agree more chap.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

Is the bloke good enough for a side at the top end of the Championship? Absolutely not. Is it his fault he was offered a deal, perhaps even with half an eye on taking a coaching role in the new year? No again. To suggest he isn't trying to didn't mean the two crosses that have lead to goals is downright disrespectful.

Would I like to see Edwards given a go in the team in Phillips is still injured after the international break? Yes, I think a lot of us would.

No it isn't disrespectful, it's observations based on what I saw. The two goals being discussed were the Preston OG and Gayle at the far post.

The OG came via a cross in from Dawson (nothing to do with Mears). For the second I am absolutely convinced it was a mishit cross with a happy consequence. I'm not being a tosser about anything.

As for Edwards he was a breath of fresh air. Whether he'd be up to a 90 minute display at right wing back when he's better suited (in my opinion) to either cutting in from left midfield or playing behind a striker is open to conjecture.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:32:50 PM by kris_boing »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
I don't even need to check to know it was Dawson who played the ball in for the Preston own goal. As for the Gayle's 'assist' I was behind the goal in the Smeth'. While I'm grateful his ball in led to our goal, from it's initial trajectory if that's where he was aiming for and Gayle was his intended target then I'm Guochuan Lai  ;D  ;) .

yes you are correct, I'm sure he has assisted another goal apart from the Gayle one though. (I've just checked and he hasn't assisted anything else either!).

I still think the way he wraps his foot around the ball he definitely was aiming for Gayle though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:24:00 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
The booing of this bloke was ridiculous. No wonder the players didn't give much of a show of appreciation at the end of the match, i wouldn't want to play for us either if i was one bad 45 minutes away from being treated like that.

I swear some of our fans just come to the games to whine, boo, moan and sit in silence when the fans are trying to get songs. Ironically, in my experience its always the same people who are on the feet singing TLMS with open arms when we knock one in, some really fickle people about.

If you want to come and support the Albion, then come and be part of the family of course. However, if you're just there just to blow off steam from the week as soon as one of our players puts a foot wrong and to cheer when we score, then i'm sure everyone connected with the club would rather you stayed at home.

Rant over

A couple of points. Firstly, I'm still not convinced that there was any booing of Mears at all on Saturday. I was in the Smethwick and heard nothing at all in the way of boos or insults directed towards him. All I did hear regarding Mears was a fairly loud cheer when he was substituted, which if some people on here find insulting then God f****ng help them if they watched football anywhere during the 70's, 80's and 90's. I saw the cheer as a "thank God Moore has taken the bloke off" rather than an insult aimed at Mears.
Secondly, if a bloke wants to let off a bit of steam at the match on a Saturday afternoon after working hard all week and looking after and providing for his family and going through the general daily grind then that too is fine by me. Everyone pays their money and is entitled to, within reason, react however they see fit. Booing isn't a crime, it's a way of a paying supporter showing his or her feelings without resorting to fighting, chucking things or even hurling insults. It's a pretty harmless way of expressing dissatisfaction which is fair enough.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
A couple of points. Firstly, I'm still not convinced that there was any booing of Mears at all on Saturday. I was in the Smethwick and heard nothing at all in the way of boos or insults directed towards him. All I did hear regarding Mears was a fairly loud cheer when he was substituted, which if some people on here find insulting then God f****ng help them if they watched football anywhere during the 70's, 80's and 90's. I saw the cheer as a "thank God Moore has taken the bloke off" rather than an insult aimed at Mears.
Secondly, if a bloke wants to let off a bit of steam at the match on a Saturday afternoon after working hard all week and looking after and providing for his family and going through the general daily grind then that too is fine by me. Everyone pays their money and is entitled to, within reason, react however they see fit. Booing isn't a crime, it's a way of a paying supporter showing his or her feelings without resorting to fighting, chucking things or even hurling insults. It's a pretty harmless way of expressing dissatisfaction which is fair enough.
Find most of this totally pathetic really, I thought home games you get behind your home team get behind your players and BOO the opposition and make it uncomfortable for them not us??? Really thought it was that simple, well must be me

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
To your first point: There was plenty of booing going on.
To your second point: Yes, they're entitled to boo and shout insults all game long. As long as they know that their behaviour is only going to be detrimental to the club, the performance on the pitch and the reputation of the fans. You might call that being a supporter, but i don't, there's nothing supportive about it. Maybe if we were sat in 20th place and the players on the pitch clearly didn't give a toss, but at halftime when we've been on an amazing run of consecutive wins? Just embarassing.

The first half on Saturday was utter s**t, as have many performances been this season. How on earth are supporters supposed to show any displeasure if booing is now frowned upon? It's not like they are rioting, chucking things or hurling insults is it. Christ almighty. You yourself have just mentioned the booing was at halftime (which backs my point that there was no direct booing of Mears). In the 35 years I've been watching the Albion, the half time whistle has ALWAYS led to a chorus of boos, grumbles or cheers depending on the first half performance, it's just the way it is and always will be.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
Find most of this totally pathetic really, I thought home games you get behind your home team get behind your players and BOO the opposition and make it uncomfortable for them not us??? Really thought it was that simple, well must be me

That's a load of rubbish. The players were booed off at half time last week and we won the second half 4-0. How did that booing harm us or help the opposition?

It is the biggest myth in football that crowds alter the outcome of a game. Footballers are hardened professionals not ten year olds.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
The booing of Mears (or more to the point the ironic cheering of his substitution) was poor. If the bloke has misled us, failed to show any effort, declared false loyalty, nicked a taxi, run away after a car crash etc then perhaps that’s ok but Mears appears to be doing the best given his limited ability and age.   I personally didn’t and wouldn’t show such disrespect to someone who was so clearly doing the best within their abilities.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »
The booing of Mears (or more to the point the ironic cheering of his substitution) was poor. If the bloke has misled us, failed to show any effort, declared false loyalty, nicked a taxi, run away after a car crash etc then perhaps that’s ok but Mears appears to be doing the best given his limited ability and age.   I personally didn’t and wouldn’t show such disrespect to someone who was so clearly doing the best within their abilities.

I agree with that. No reason at all to boo Mears he was doing his best and we all knew what we'd got when he signed.

Booing the team off at half time or at full time I can understand it's a way of showing dissatisfaction. It's not something I do personally but I don't criticise anyone that does do it. It certainly does not negatively affect the outcome out the game.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »

That's all it was, a cheer, ironic or otherwise. It wasn't booing, there was no booing of Mears! I wish I had a quid for every time I've heard a substitution booed or cheered, ironically, sarcastically or otherwise. It happens all the time, I really don't know why there is being such a fuss made about this one. I didn't see the cheer for the substitution as being disrespectful, more so a huge relief that Moore had finally called a substitution correctly as the whole crowd could see Mears was struggling.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
That's all it was, a cheer, ironic or otherwise. It wasn't booing, there was no booing of Mears! I wish I had a quid for every time I've heard a substitution booed or cheered, ironically, sarcastically or otherwise. It happens all the time, I really don't know why there is being such a fuss made about this one. I didn't see the cheer for the substitution as being disrespectful, more so a huge relief that Moore had finally called a substitution correctly as the whole crowd could see Mears was struggling.
Maybe the cheer was for the youngster that was replacing him.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
Maybe the cheer was for the youngster that was replacing him.

Absolutely, that could quite feasibly account for the cheer for the substitution too. Just shows how lots of folk on here, without thinking, are so quick to be critical of their fellow Albion fans and accuse them of booing, being disrespectful, abusive and so on towards Mears, not to mention being called embarrassing, when it was almost certainly not like that at all. I'd be the first to admit if there was any abuse directed towards Mears on Saturday but there wasn't. The only booing (which was slight) was at half time and not directed at any individual.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »

it’s not disrespectful to have a view on something, what is disrespectful is to totally discredit someone’s view because you don’t agree with it. As for the cross, he clearly did mean to put a cross in but he visibly stumbled backwards on crossing it, I don’t believe for a second he intended that cross to end up where it did, it’s was fortunate that it did. Willian scored with a mishit cross against Liverpool last year, would it be disrespectful to say he didn’t mean to score from it?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:34:05 PM by kris_boing »
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
it’s not disrespectful to have a view on something, what is disrespectful is to totally discredit someone’s view because you don’t agree with it. As for the cross, he clearly did mean to put a cross in but he visibly stumbled backwards on crossing it, I don’t believe for a second he intended that cross to end up where it did, it’s was fortunate that it did. Willian scored with a mishit cross against Liverpool last year, would it be disrespectful to say he didn’t mean to score from it?
Did he indeed?
Look again. The highlights are still up on Sky.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11519447/west-brom-4-1-reading

Then come back and tell me how he stumbled.
A rolled pass from Livermore reaches TM, who takes one touch. He wraps his foot around the ball, crosses it and stands to watch the resulting action.
As I said in my last post, the fans who need to have a scapegoat have found their new target.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »
yes you are correct, I'm sure he has assisted another goal apart from the Gayle one though. (I've just checked and he hasn't assisted anything else either!).

I still think the way he wraps his foot around the ball he definitely was aiming for Gayle though.
He largely assisted gibbs goal against Millwall. Not sure it goes down as an assist but it clearly came as a result of his cross into the box.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2018, 05:37:40 AM »
He largely assisted gibbs goal against Millwall. Not sure it goes down as an assist but it clearly came as a result of his cross into the box.

Mears crossed it into the box, the ball then found it's way to Gibbs via an ineffective headed clearance from Jake Cooper.

From memory he did put a couple of decent balls into the box that day.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
232945456248Did he indeed?
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11519447/west-brom-4-1-reading

A rolled pass from Livermore reaches TM, who takes one touch. He wraps his foot around the ball, crosses it and stands to watch the resulting action.
As I said in my last post, the fans who need to have a scapegoat have found their new target.
stumbled a few steps back to watch to cross.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
232945456248Did he indeed?

Begs the question though, why does anyone need a scapegoat? We are unbeaten in 7 games.
I'm not a fan of Mears by any means, and think we need a better back up when Phillips is out, but a scapegoat is someone who gets blamed when things go wrong. Since he came in we haven't lost and I can't remember him directly costing us a goal so, while he isn't the greatest by any means, there's nothing to blame him for.
I agree it was a decent cross by the way.

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »
Begs the question though, why does anyone need a scapegoat? We are unbeaten in 7 games.
I'm not a fan of Mears by any means, and think we need a better back up when Phillips is out, but a scapegoat is someone who gets blamed when things go wrong. Since he came in we haven't lost and I can't remember him directly costing us a goal so, while he isn't the greatest by any means, there's nothing to blame him for.
I agree it was a decent cross by the way.

Agree completely, once we lose a 2 in a row the vitriol on here may be horrendous.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Agree completely, once we lose a 2 in a row the vitriol on here may be horrendous.
I think that will also be Darren's biggest test mate. The sign of a good manager is how they deal with a couple of bad results and stop it turning into a bad run. Steve Clark was great for a good while but once the results took a turn, he had no answer. Pulis on the other hand was a master of halting a slide (apart from the last 10 games of a season, when he was already safe, whereby he actually appeared to encourage it), but even he came unstuck in the end and, once he couldn't stop the slide, he had to go, thank god.
Personally, i think DM has enough in his locker to deal with adversity and get us through any inevitable sticky patch,but only time will tell.
You are right though, if Mears is in the side at the time, he will likely take a lot of the flack.