Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 778488 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #3000 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
Sadly it was inevitable when the manager is as tactically inept as Southgate. The flaws were obvious to anyone with half a brain throughout, we had barely created a chance from open play all tournament yet the man is unable to effect the game. I have great faith in the players, I just have absolutely none in the guy leading them.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3001 on: July 12, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
It's a fun bunch on here, my god!

In the end beaten by a better side, a side with European Cup winners, a side arguably underrated by a lot of people, filled with players in their peak playing in top leagues across Europe. Modric and Rakitic between them have won five European Cups in the last five seasons.

England have given us one of the most entertaining months of watching football I can remember. Southgate has transformed a side into one that people actually like, and one that is competitive. Remember at the start of June when many of us said we would be happy to get out of the group?

Alli and Lingard didn't have the worst games, they were up against two serious performers - probably the most underrated central midfield partnership in the world. They will give Pogba and Kante a real test on Sunday. Sterling ran them ragged for 45 minutes, we lost grip completely when he went off. He made clever runs, he linked play well, he would have scored if Kane had of squared the ball. If you can't see what the kid offers then football probably isn't for you. Walker was caught out for the goal but this is what, his ninth game as a central defender? He will learn, they all will.

No one likes losing and the better, more complete and more experienced side won - but if you can sit and slag them all off after the graft they've put in and the good times we've all had watching it the last month or so then that's a real shame for you.

At least Brexit is going well...

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3002 on: July 12, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
I think this young team and inexperienced manager did us absolutely proud and grew with each game. Their inexperience showed last night and ultimately we needed a cool head in midfield who could put his foot on the ball second half to take the sting out of the game.

If we can keep this team together and add more quality in midfield, left wing back and have more options up front (hopefully inevitable when Rashford gets older) we should see a period where we’re closer to winning trophies and perhaps more importantly have a team we all love watching again. I’ve enjoyed this tournament more than any I can remember since Euro 96 tbh and before that Italia 90.

The younger teams are winning world cups and Euros, we now seem to have a system  and set up which isn’t based on big premier league reputations but rather a team which fits together and a players/ manager with humility (who’d thought after Sven and Capello eras).

I’m disappointed today but also looking forward to the future because if we carry on as we’ve just begun then we should have some fun again. There’s nothing like it when the whole country is behind the team is there !? 

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3003 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
It's a fun bunch on here, my god!

In the end beaten by a better side, a side with European Cup winners, a side arguably underrated by a lot of people, filled with players in their peak playing in top leagues across Europe. Modric and Rakitic between them have won five European Cups in the last five seasons.

England have given us one of the most entertaining months of watching football I can remember. Southgate has transformed a side into one that people actually like, and one that is competitive. Remember at the start of June when many of us said we would be happy to get out of the group?

Alli and Lingard didn't have the worst games, they were up against two serious performers - probably the most underrated central midfield partnership in the world. They will give Pogba and Kante a real test on Sunday. Sterling ran them ragged for 45 minutes, we lost grip completely when he went off. He made clever runs, he linked play well, he would have scored if Kane had of squared the ball. If you can't see what the kid offers then football probably isn't for you. Walker was caught out for the goal but this is what, his ninth game as a central defender? He will learn, they all will.

No one likes losing and the better, more complete and more experienced side won - but if you can sit and slag them all off after the graft they've put in and the good times we've all had watching it the last month or so then that's a real shame for you.

At least Brexit is going well...

We said Dave. There comes a time when we just have to enjoy the ride, which is just beginning with this squad and set up hopefully .

It’s coming home sooner or later I bet ya

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3004 on: July 12, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »
We said Dave. There comes a time when we just have to enjoy the ride, which is just beginning with this squad and set up hopefully .

It’s coming home sooner or later I bet ya

Looking at it objectively, chances are we will never again end up with a draw as favourable as that so if it was ever going to come home, we had the best opportunity for it to happen in my lifetime and we have blown it.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3005 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
Looking at it objectively, chances are we will never again end up with a draw as favourable as that so if it was ever going to come home, we had the best opportunity for it to happen in my lifetime and we have blown it.

If we're basing our approach to winning tournaments around not having to play anyone good then we may as well not bother.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3006 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
Experience and quality won the day in the end. Croatia are a fantastic side with genuine world class performers in the areas that matter, no shame whatsoever in losing to them, especially having pushed them to the very end.
We knew from the start that we lacked quality and creativity but what we did was play to our strengths and relied on team spirit and it got us farther than we have for almost 30 years. Good on em.
What Southgate lacks in tactical nous he makes up for with humility and man management. This group of players are all millionaires and could easily have gone out there with an arrogant swagger and behaved like spoiled brats but instead they have conducted themselves impeccably.
The Premier League has given me so many reasons to not love football, or it's exponents, but this England team has gone a little way to restoring my faith and for that I'm both thankful and proud.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3007 on: July 12, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »
Bring on the euro's,  think Gareth can build on this, it's the first time iv been optimistic about England in years,  well done lads I say

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3008 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
If we're basing our approach to winning tournaments around not having to play anyone good then we may as well not bother.

Well as we have only played two decent teams in this tournament and lost to them both, it is difficult to do otherwise unless something (i.e. the manager) changes.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3009 on: July 12, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »
Well as we have only played two decent teams in this tournament and lost to them both, it is difficult to do otherwise unless something (i.e. the manager) changes.
Columbia are ranked higher than Croatia and Sweden not a that far off while beating France in the qualifiers and Italy in the playoffs,we also matched Belgium in the group and our 2nd team lost to their 2nd team.

Don’t underestimate the teams we have beaten, they are at this tournament for a reason.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3010 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »

Yes, you live and learn. If done properly this team can continue to get better. If we sit and take them apart, despite being the best England side in a generation, they might not.

In a game of very fine margins we lost out to a stronger, more experienced side. If anything this was Croatia's big opportunity, a lot of that side wont be together in four years time - ours will.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3011 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
Columbia are ranked higher than Croatia and Sweden not a that far off while beating France in the qualifiers and Italy in the playoffs,we also matched Belgium in the group and our 2nd team lost to their 2nd team.

Don’t underestimate the teams we have beaten, they are at this tournament for a reason.

We didn't beat Colombia...it took penalties to decide it in a game whereby their best player didn't feature.

Panama, Saudi Arabia et al were at this tournament. It doesn't mean they are good sides.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3012 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »
We didn't beat Colombia...it took penalties to decide it in a game whereby their best player didn't feature.

Panama, Saudi Arabia et al were at this tournament. It doesn't mean they are good sides.

Fair enough pal - I've had a great four weeks watching this team, bouncing round pubs with people I've never met because everyone, for the first time in my lifetime is proud of their team. Yeah it'd be nice to have our name on the trophy, one day it will happen but if you can't see any positives in the last month then I feel for you. It's been great fun.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3013 on: July 12, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
At the end of the day England did better than expected so that's something to be happy with.

I think having the so called easy route has backfired and I couldn't see the logic of people wanting England to take that route, as at some point you are going to meet a much better side or a side that can manage a game better which was the case last night. Croatia have players that have played in tournament finals and it showed with how they came back and controlled the game from the 2nd half onwards.

I expect Belgium to be too strong on Saturday and England will end up 4th, but that's still a hell of an achievement for a young inexperienced team playing in it's first tournament.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3014 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
This WC was definitely an opportunity for England, unfortunately we ain't in the final, disappointing, but I've really enjoyed it. As many have already said it kinda bought footie back to the fans & it's a shame some people have to be negative but their perogative I guess.  :-X
I know it will be tough but I really hope GS gets them wound up for 3/4 play off so we can finish on a high (well some can).  ;)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3015 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Fair enough pal - I've had a great four weeks watching this team, bouncing round pubs with people I've never met because everyone, for the first time in my lifetime is proud of their team. Yeah it'd be nice to have our name on the trophy, one day it will happen but if you can't see any positives in the last month then I feel for you. It's been great fun.

I see plenty of positives...but the overriding feeling is frustration. We would have made the final with an actual manager in place and a draw that favourable. We have missed a massive opportunity here, I feel massively sorry for the players.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3016 on: July 12, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »
Same here mate, I've loved every minute of this tournament. The way people have come together is testament to the humility and integrity of the squad, they've handled themselves honourably both on and off the field and for the first time in years I actually felt like they deserved to succeed.
Southgate has given us a team we can be proud of, even in defeat, and to lose that now would be criminal. If we approach the Euros with the same attitude and commitment, I'll be happy, even if we don't win it.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3017 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
At the end of the day England did better than expected so that's something to be happy with.

I think having the so called easy route has backfired and I couldn't see the logic of people wanting England to take that route, as at some point you are going to meet a much better side or a side that can manage a game better which was the case last night. Croatia have players that have played in tournament finals and it showed with how they came back and controlled the game from the 2nd half onwards.

I expect Belgium to be too strong on Saturday and England will end up 4th, but that's still a hell of an achievement for a young inexperienced team playing in it's first tournament.

Although they won't publicly say so (obviously) I very much doubt either country will be remotely bothered about finishing 3rd or 4th it's probably the most pointless game in football.

Overall view - I agree with others it has been a wonderful world cup certainly the best I've ever seen (1982 the first I can remember) England have exceeded expectations and done very well and the last three weeks have been amazing. If there are people that can't enjoy that journey I genuinely feel sorry for them.

The public are proud of our footballers again the first time for a long, long time and the tournament has brought people together - the amount of people with Asian heritage that have been hanging the flag of St George from their cars. Wow, fantastic.

Only football can do this. It doesn't matter what we do in any other sport, football is more powerful in this country than just about anything.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3018 on: July 12, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
Overall we did well in the tournament, however the way to get even better should now be clear to everybody.

We need a number 10, a player who can create things from open play, so that we can stop the over-reliance on set plays. A Gascoigne, a Joe Cole, etc.

We need a true captain. Kane disappeared when the going got tough, we need a real leader and big personality from somewhere.

And we need to stop dropping so deep and going long ball when the pressure is on. Last night we abandoned everything we had done earlier in the tournament, and fell into the old mentality.

We can look back happily on a team that wasn't expected to do well, who got to the semi-finals, and restored a bit of pride in our team. But we can't rest on our laurels and think we've made it now, as English players tend to do when they reach a certain level.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3019 on: July 12, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
After our initial spell we began to lose the midfield and as soon as that happens you lose the game. South gate has done well but throughout the tournament his substations let him down. Game crying out for lotus cheek in cm to add some steel and despite 4 subs of which did very little to influence the game we still found ourselves being over run in midfield and eventually we lost. Wasn't going to be a game where pretty football won it was a game where the team with the biggest balls collectively would win- that's what happened.

Yes we have done well but in the game that counted the manger fouled up

So that's why we ran out of energy in the second half
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3020 on: July 12, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
  • Easiest route we will ever have.

Tournament with no Italy / Holland, Poorest german / Argentinian teams for years, Spain and portugal sides ready to be rebuilt.

Southgate was out-witted last night

We cannot score from open play unless the opposition is very poor.

The Result was a great opportunity missed

Bizarrely, All the above but I do think the basis of a good side is there, add a couple of starlets (particularly a creative mid-fielder- so rare an animal these days) and they could do well in future competitions.
I feel Southgate is self aware enough to learn from the errors, as long as he doesn't surround himself with yes men.

The grand plan is showing dividends and we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3021 on: July 12, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
I maybe ploughing a lone farrow here but shouldnt the manager be put under scrutiny?
The best opportunity we have had recently or are likely to have for some time to come was blown in a major way.
Poor substitutions and no plan B.
Momentum from group games was lost with wholesale changes against Belgium. Harry Kane was on fire prior to being rested.
There is the potential to achieve something with this squad but it will not be achieved under a manager who talks a good game and always has  consistently failed to deliver when it matters. Good managers do not want or need to be the squads best mate.
This tournament will be viewed by some as a success. I just see it as a massive opportunity thrown away.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3022 on: July 12, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
I maybe ploughing a lone farrow here but shouldnt the manager be put under scrutiny?
The best opportunity we have had recently or are likely to have for some time to come was blown in a major way.
Poor substitutions and no plan B.
Momentum from group games was lost with wholesale changes against Belgium. Harry Kane was on fire prior to being rested.
There is the potential to achieve something with this squad but it will not be achieved under a manager who talks a good game and always has  consistently failed to deliver when it matters. Good managers do not want or need to be the squads best mate.
This tournament will be viewed by some as a success. I just see it as a massive opportunity thrown away.

Read my posts above. You're not alone, despite the ridiculous love in for Southgate. In game management has been abysmal

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3023 on: July 12, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
He picked his teams based on results and not performances and was too weak to take players out of a winning team.

Ashley Young and Dele Alli were two players who England looked better without and he just wouldn't change it.

Were desperate for a Wilshere / Barkley to come off the bench against Croatia but he had nothing. Poor squad selection hampered him as well.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3024 on: July 12, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »
We'd have beaten France on the break. Tonight we aren't good enough to get that far.
That's a pretty bold prediction - France are hardly gung ho, personally I think they are the last team that England would beat on the break.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill