Author Topic: 7 Feb 2021 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Albion 0  (Read 41342 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #475 on: February 08, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »
Yes, could be the lockdown effect as well

I think people are becoming increasingly numb to the pain of it all....
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #476 on: February 08, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
Puzzled when I saw the lineup, the inclusion of Sawyers and the omission of Pereira. We know Romaine's strengths and weaknesses so I genuinely thought Sawyers would be playing a more advanced role rather than not screening the back four (again).

Much has been made of him switching off to allow Kane in on goal. But a feature of the radio match commentary was that Kane had the freedom of the pitch for pretty much the whole of the first half. Romaine put challenges in during the first half as commented upon in the match thread but there was clearly a lack of tracking from our midfield unit and defence as a whole.

This should have been addressed in the opening 45 minutes from the touchline and if not then by those on the pitch. I'm not sure at which point professional footballers should be told they need to track one of the best all round forwards in the Premier League but ours clearly need reminding.

This is a collective failure and not just an individual one. Wrong selection of a player in a role he's clearly unsuited to. Insufficient communication, cover and common sense between teammates. Failure to replace said player with one more suited to the role at half time. That we had to wait so long for Yokuslu's introduction to knit things together beggars belief.
Snodgrass was the main culprit Dan, but got away with them because the chances weren't taken. Sawyers was poor but didn't do anything unexpected so have to question his inclusion. We all no he has no instinct to track a runner.
Allardyce's plan seems to be defend until they score and that's it so, best case scenario is a heroic, fortunate 0-0 as, once they do score he has no plan B.

Have to get things in perspective though, bad run or no bad run, if we are expecting to win at Spurs, we are seriously misguided. They have quality all over the pitch and would beat us on a good day.

I'm just accepting now that this season is a write off but am still looking forward to next.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #477 on: February 08, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »
I think people are becoming increasingly numb to the pain of it all....

TBH I was more upset that England lost to the sweaty socks in the six nations
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2021, 05:02:45 PM »
The Spurs defender was pretty good today - he pushed Diagne offside, and then muscled him to keep him there.   Shame our defence don't learn from that and instead we give strikers a guard of honour through on goal.
Yes, I spotted that. In fact for both of Diagne efforts, the Spurs defender seemed to shove him into the offside position. Diagne needs to be made aware.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: February 08, 2021, 05:25:27 PM »
Snodgrass was the main culprit Dan........

I've noticed him both bypassed and trailing in the wake of opposition players a few times of late (ed: based on highlights for the most part).

boingboing1!

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
I wish we would have given Spurs more than we did. They aren't in great form, we just let them run rings around us.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2021, 06:03:44 PM »
I wish we would have given Spurs more than we did. They aren't in great form, we just let them run rings around us.

Agreed, our performance was so lifeless it put a final nail in this season's coffin for me. I will genuinely be astonished if we win another game.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

Agreed, such a pity our own run of poor form continued..... never mind, tomorrow's another day.