Author Topic: 2 Jan 2021 Albion 0 Arsenal 4  (Read 56742 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
Be interested in our set up for this game and how he deals with performance against Leeds. Hope Gibbs is fit otherwise I'd move O'Shea to left back bring in Ivanovic just because Peltier is way out of his league. Field if fit to replace Sawyers, Harper in for Phillips. Grosicki comes in for the disappointing Diangana with Pereira replacing Robinson. Grant up top as he is our only striker with pace.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »
Be interested in our set up for this game and how he deals with performance against Leeds. Hope Gibbs is fit otherwise I'd move O'Shea to left back bring in Ivanovic just because Peltier is way out of his league. Field if fit to replace Sawyers, Harper in for Phillips. Grosicki comes in for the disappointing Diangana with Pereira replacing Robinson. Grant up top as he is our only striker with pace.

I’d do almost exactly the same. Only change is I think Ivanovic is done so Bartley comes in ahead of him if fit.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »
Pereira's a ball to feet player.  He has no place in an Allardyce team.  My guess is that he will be sold and replaced by 3 X Dean Windass Mk2's

Flipping eck! I do hope not.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »
10 men behind ball against Arsenal and hope players do their jobs, keep it tight and put another point on board. Sam clearly doesn't rate this lot so damage limitation until he can bring in player's he can trust.
I don't think much of most of them either. Poorly assembled team that will be lucky to stay up.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 09:37:11 PM »
Pereira's a ball to feet player.  He has no place in an Allardyce team.  My guess is that he will be sold and replaced by 3 X Dean Windass Mk2's

So how did players like Okocha and Djorkaeff ever excel in an ‘Allardyce’ team??
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 09:54:25 PM »
So how did players like Okocha and Djorkaeff ever excel in an ‘Allardyce’ team??
'
You cant ask reasonable questions around some posters on here. It's Bilic or Bust' it seems for a small amount of supporters.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »
If we persist with a defensive 6-4-0 performance again at home with a similar team selection and play hit and hope football with the obligatory long throw into their box it won't end happily and I can see another 4 goal drubbing. However if we decide to get after them I think we'd have half a chance, but I still think it'll be the former! We can only hope, new year, new start and all that, geez grasping at straws here!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 10:33:25 PM »
These 2 names always seem to be dragged out to try and demonstrate Allardyce doesn't play negative uninspiring football, but for every one there are probably 10 other of his players who would demonstrate the opposite.

We'll have to wait to see who he recruits now, and I'm happy to give him a chance, but my bet is that he will stick with the kind of formations he's played to date. Nearly the whole team behind the ball, and try and nick a goal from a set piece or from a long ball forward that 'falls right'. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 10:57:00 PM »
'
You cant ask reasonable questions around some posters on here. It's Bilic or Bust' it seems for a small amount of supporters.

We've asked before for digs at other posters to stop, it needs to happen and happen now or posts will just be removed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 11:00:00 PM »
We've asked before for digs at other posters to stop, it needs to happen and happen now or posts will just be removed.

Fair enough, my bad.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 12:41:43 AM »

As Tom’s already said, Allardyce does find place for flair players. Allardyce’s problem isn’t that he does not like flair players, it is that his teams as a whole don’t have much attacking licence. There is a good chance that Pereira will be part of his plans though as he likes players who can make his rare attacks count. He loves Okochas/Shelveys/Djokaeffs/Defoes/Anelkas.
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 01:07:54 AM »
It's also worth noting he had Kevin Davies as a battering ram up front, so those creative players could feed off him for flick-ons and lay offs. Obviously at Sunderland he played differently with Defoe up front by himself.

I'd say that this game has the potential to be our first win, but Arsenal have managed to bear Brighton and Chelsea, so perhaps they've turned a corner

He/him

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
I feel like we will get it right today...I did think that against Leeds too...
I think we can't go 4 at the back without a left-footed defender, it just doesn't work.
I hope he lines up something like...

Johnstone

O'Shea
Ivanovic
Ajayi

Furlong (RWB) with the handbrake on.
Diangana (LWB) with more of a license to break.

Gallagher
Pereira
Krovinovic (Field if fit)

Robinson
Grant

No early mistakes! No gifting. Work Bloody hard and keep it simple

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »
We will put up a spirited performance no doubt, probably grab a point. We will talk about it giving us a chance and then throw it away in 2 weeks time

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
We will put up a spirited performance no doubt, probably grab a point. We will talk about it giving us a chance and then throw it away in 2 weeks time

I think that’s very optimistic. I expect another defeat, by at least 2 goals. You can’t just keep sitting deep in home games and invite quality opposition to run at you. If you do, the outcome is inevitable. I do of course hope I am wrong. I love my club and that won’t change.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
As Tom’s already said, Allardyce does find place for flair players. Allardyce’s problem isn’t that he does not like flair players, it is that his teams as a whole don’t have much attacking licence. There is a good chance that Pereira will be part of his plans though as he likes players who can make his rare attacks count. He loves Okochas/Shelveys/Djokaeffs/Defoes/Anelkas.

Shelvey isn't creative like Pierera.  Defoe and Anelka are strikers, and the other two are from way back in the day.

I think Sam will put Pierera in the team because he's obviously our best player but he'll be entirely unsuited to the way we play.

We need to get MP and GD on the ball in the oppositions third, not sitting on the edge of our own box.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
Need a solid midfield 2 before Pereira will be given free licence i think. We need Gallagher in there plus 1 more on loan or signed. Sort the CM and then the attacking players wont have to defend so much.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 11:32:03 AM »
Just an FYI also, this game is on BT Sport as you probably are aware but so are all our other games this month. So thats 5 WBA games for £25 on the monthly pass, no subscription. Fiver a game is worth it for me.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
Just an FYI also, this game is on BT Sport as you probably are aware but so are all our other games this month. So thats 5 WBA games for £25 on the monthly pass, no subscription. Fiver a game is worth it for me.

Can you view them online or is it through a TV only? Didn't realise it wasn't a subscription and might be tempted now, but only if it's available through my laptop

He/him

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Can you view them online or is it through a TV only? Didn't realise it wasn't a subscription and might be tempted now, but only if it's available through my laptop

I’m 99% sure you can watch online. Also, I know you said no tv, but I don’t think it’s a box job. If you have a smart tv their is a bt sport app.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »

YOu can watch on your PC through the website, phone if you have the app or TV if you have the app, also on Xbox /Playustaiton etc.

So if you have a laptop and HDMI cable you can hook your laptop to your tv to watch it on big screen.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
I'm hopeless at this,but I have said previously that we would lose the last 2 games but for some unknown reason we would beat arsenal.
We still need all the teams around us to lose.
I wonder how many fans are like me regarding motd, I can't bear to watch it if we lose,I hate seeing us embarrassed this season,let's hope big Sam can help us.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
BT.com/sport/monthly-pass I think that's the correct link, register, pay and watch on any device of your choice I believe
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »
Inspiring & motivating team talk ????????????

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/01/01/west-brom-livelihoods-depend-on-survival-says-sam/
"They are also playing for people’s jobs, they are responsible for people’s jobs.
"Hilariously" I seem to remember reading that Albion were getting rid of support staff whose jobs the players thought they'd secured by winning promotion.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
These 2 names always seem to be dragged out to try and demonstrate Allardyce doesn't play negative uninspiring football, but for every one there are probably 10 other of his players who would demonstrate the opposite.

We'll have to wait to see who he recruits now, and I'm happy to give him a chance, but my bet is that he will stick with the kind of formations he's played to date. Nearly the whole team behind the ball, and try and nick a goal from a set piece or from a long ball forward that 'falls right'.

No, they are similar players to what Pereira is and were included in Allardyce’s sides. You said players like Pereira have no place in an Allardyce side...it’s simply not true is it??

They get wheeled out when people post things like ‘flair players have no place in his sides...

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts