Author Topic: Darnell Furlong  (Read 81557 times)

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darnell Furlong
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
Football Insider (I know, I know) reporting that Furlong is a target for Brentford and Barnsley.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-burnley-and-brentford-race-to-sign-west-brom-star-furlong/

Brentford and Burnley have set their sights on signing West Brom defender Darnell Furlong this summer, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The Premier League duo are both in the market for a new right-back as they prepare for the new season.

They are both looking to strengthen in defence and have prioritised the capture of a right-back proven in the Premier League.

The Baggies could have to cash in on Furlong following their demotion to the Championship.

The 25-year-old was one of their best players last season and is likely to be keen on heading straight back to the top flight.

The 25-year-old was one of their best players last season and is likely to be keen on heading straight back to the top flight.

He is entering his peak and has just come off the back of the best season of his career.

The son of former QPR striker Paul Furlong made 32 Premier League starts among 36 appearances last term and started almost every game under Sam Allardyce.

He joined West Brom in the summer of 2019 from QPR for a fee of £1.5million

His contract at the Albion runs until the summer of 2023.

West Brom are braced for bids for some of their star performers and need to raise cash following their relegation

I think Darnell would be good for us in the champ, however he's not a crown jewel for me, and a reasonably high offer leading to him leaving wouldn't upset me.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
His long throw ins are an asset.
edit...
The reason why I feel this way, is because the trajectory is flatter than a looping ball from the wings.
It is harder for the defence to allow for it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:54:33 AM by Droitwich Baggie »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
Football Insider (I know, I know) reporting that Furlong is a target for Brentford and Barnsley.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-burnley-and-brentford-race-to-sign-west-brom-star-furlong/

Brentford and Burnley have set their sights on signing West Brom defender Darnell Furlong this summer, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The Premier League duo are both in the market for a new right-back as they prepare for the new season.

They are both looking to strengthen in defence and have prioritised the capture of a right-back proven in the Premier League.

The Baggies could have to cash in on Furlong following their demotion to the Championship.

He is entering his peak and has just come off the back of the best season of his career.

The son of former QPR striker Paul Furlong made 32 Premier League starts among 36 appearances last term and started almost every game under Sam Allardyce.

He joined West Brom in the summer of 2019 from QPR for a fee of £1.5million

His contract at the Albion runs until the summer of 2023.

West Brom are braced for bids for some of their star performers and need to raise cash following their relegation

I think Darnell would be good for us in the champ, however he's not a crown jewel for me, and a reasonably high offer leading to him leaving wouldn't upset me.

Burnley not Barnsley, and Alan Nixon has already confirmed that Burnley are not after him.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
If there is a bidding war that's a plus for us, he didn’t do it in Prem.Only for Ferguson injury and pushing move to Palace he would of only been back up inchump, wouldn't lose any sleep if he went.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2021, 09:46:30 PM »
why would you go to either the most boring club in the premier or one that will be back in the championship next year.
Not really that bothered either way if I'm honest.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2021, 10:19:59 PM »
Seems like a false rumour to me.

I actually don't think he's quite good enough for the Premier League but is solid at this level. Anything above £5 million and I would take it but doubt it would happen.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: July 05, 2021, 12:14:20 AM »
Pretty much identical to the Ajayi rumour, a complete none-starter. Both are decent Championship players at good ages, neither are good enough to start for a PL team. It's really not worth the money it would take for a club to sign either of them from us.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
Signed a new contract extension until 2025

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
I can’t wait for Jacko’s reaction  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:05 PM »
If they whip out new deals for Livermore and Sawyers i'm done.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2021, 06:09:16 PM »
I can’t wait for Jacko’s reaction  ;D

He's 25 so not the end of the world. He's rubbish but that is by the by, he's currently the only player we've got for his position, almost certain to need improving upon on promotion, where he becomes back up.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
He's 25 so not the end of the world. He's rubbish but that is by the by, he's currently the only player we've got for his position, almost certain to need improving upon on promotion, where he becomes back up.

His extension certainly makes more sense than the others. I also think he is very much suited to Ismael. He certainly appears to be a very good athlete with qualities good enough for this division.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2021, 06:15:23 PM »
@JosephMasi_Star

Ismael on Furlong: "The wing-back positions in our system are the most intense and exposed position – out of possession and in possession – Darnell has the perfect profile. When I came, I recognised straight away that he is made for the position and made for us." #wba

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2021, 06:16:32 PM »
Can't see it myself but he struggled last time in Championship why all the contract exstensions as we will be lumbered with these players if the Val project is successful or fails. Makes more sense to see how season pans out under new boss before club agrees new contracts.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:19:53 PM by paulosull »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »
I think he's fine in the Championship but not quite good enough for the Premier. I do think he'll be quite well suited to Valerien's style of play though. I think a contract until 2025 is too long, but at least he's still reasonably young and might still improve.

I am concerned that we're dishing out too many contracts to players who aren't good enough to play at a higher level though. We've been down this road before...

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
I think he is perfect for the system we will play next year, a proper wing back bags of energy, not so sure when its a back four but 100% with a back three.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »
This system most definitely suits players like him. You wouldn't want a traditional winger like Diangana in a wing-back position but a RB who certainly has more about his attacking game than his defensive game seems ideal for this position.

Ironically, at LWB I actually think Gibbs would've been fantastic in this set-up (hypothetically because in realistically his hammy would pop every week!).

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »
Echo sentiments of others, suits playing as a wing back and has age in his side. Let's hope he can kick on as my opinion of him as a player is someone who is decent to good at Championship level and poor and Premier League level currently.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
No problem with the extension for Furlong. This system of Val"s is ideal for him. He's 25 and its a good deal for all.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2021, 03:05:49 PM »
What an asset his throws are  :o
Unlucky not to get two with Clarke's header as well, incredible stuff.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »
What an asset his throws are  :o
Unlucky not to get two with Clarke's header as well, incredible stuff.

Big Phil Scolari said Rory Delap was the only footballer he'd ever seen who was better at playing football with his hands than his feet (or words to that effect)  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2021, 12:20:52 AM »
Another good game, this system is suiting him very well as he doesn't have to defend as much and what can you say about his throw in's! Nice touch to celebrate with the bloke who kept picking up his towel :D

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2021, 12:29:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of Furlong and he is essential in this side. Good delivery into the box never stops running and his throws are becoming a important asset in our side. It was a huge deal getting him tied up to a new deal.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
He's another one suited by this style of football. He's had a magnificent start to the season.

How the hell did he miss that chance though?

I'll forgive him given his displays so far.  ;)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2021, 01:04:08 AM »
Furlong always gives 110% and his long throws are immense. He is a good athlete but not a very good footballer, as shown by the open goal he missed. One of those players that is an asset at this level but not good enough in the premier league as he lacks the ability on the ball and awareness of players around him. But he will run all day, has a great leap and is brave. Played well tonight.