Author Topic: 5 Dec 2015 Albion 1 Tottenham Hot. 1  (Read 37572 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
Yes Evans gave a glimpse of what a more constructive DM can do - Yacob is a master at the destructive part of that job but as we know he always looks for the simple pass and leaves any constructive work to others.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2015, 11:17:09 AM »
Another very enjoyable game, really enjoying watching us at the moment.

Spurs are the form team but we stifled them to a hopeful punt for their goal (which we should of dealt with better) and a scramble second half when Dawson cleared it.

If we can carry on like this their are no complaints from me, i feel recently whoever we play, that we can get something out the game, we have progressed a lot the last month to 6 weeks.

Thought Evans was a class act and i would be in no rush to change the team, defensively we were solid, we created chances and Rondon was a handful.

I didnt think we missed Yacob at all, Evans did his job but offered more with the ball and as our defence were solid even without Evans in it, i would keep same team next week, it may just be a one off and may not be the answer long term, only time will tell, but based on yesterday i think it showed you can expect a bit more from your defensive midfielder.

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
I think the difference at the moment is we always look like we might get back into it when we go one down, or 2-1 down. It breeds optimism. Has anyone worked out how many times we've come back lately?

I also agree Evans is far more versatile than I gave him credit for. But I think on balance I'd still have him in place of Brunt at left back rather than in the Yacob role.

Remember the past - learn from it

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
I think the difference at the moment is we always look like we might get back into it when we go one down, or 2-1 down. It breeds optimism. Has anyone worked out how many times we've come back lately?

I also agree Evans is far more versatile than I gave him credit for. But I think on balance I'd still have him in place of Brunt at left back rather than in the Yacob role.

I think Brunt's doing well at left back and linking with Mclean quite well, the quality of the ball he produces now is far better than when he was on the wing, whilst I agree Evans would do a good job there I don't think he will be as effective.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »
Another good solid performance, apart from the defence switching off for the goal; a bit like Geroud's for Arsenal and Mahrez's first for Leicester.

Was surprised by the selection of Evans in midfield but it certainly worked; hope Yacob is back there next weekend though as we need Evans in the back four. Again the distribution from Olsson and McAuley was very poor. A couple of Brunt's set pieces were dreadful which I was surprised at as recently he's been quality from free kicks.

Midfield were strong and linked play well with Rondon. He really does need to start hitting the target though, certainly the chance in the first half should have made Loris make a save at the very least. His shot in the 2nd half was good though.

It was a very patient well played move for the goal too.

Thought McClean, Rondon,Evans and Morrison played very well, but no one had a bad game.

Thought the ref was very poor although McClean could have got a red for the challenge on Dembele. Have to say at the time I thought it was hard but fair but on MOTD it was high and possibly reckless. Still Rose got away with play acting so f*ck 'em!

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
I enjoyed the game more than the Arsenal game. The atmosphere in the second half was the best I've witnessed at the Hawthorns this season.

I think Tony is finally winning the majority of fans around now...I must admit having been one of the ones sticking up for pulis since he came, I did had my doubts after the Southampton, Sunderland (home games) and the Palace away...dire performances, I was bored  basically. Long may it continue!!

There was a spell in the second half where the crowd got a bit excited watching us defend.

Hard to pick a MOTM...McClean, Rondon, Evans and Fletcher all did enough for me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
Really enjoyable game I thought where we gave a good account of ourselves against a good Spurs side.

I don't think there were any bad performers although Olsson and Dawson's distribution are obvious weak points in the side. The first goal to give away is Sunday league stuff, one of the centre halves should be gobbling that up. I get the feeling had Jonny Evans been at centre half and not in midfield then it would have been dealt with. I thought Evans played well in the middle but it just looked a bit uncomfortable. I thought the logical thing to do would have been to play Morrison or Gardner deeper but we got a point from the game so I cannot grumble.

Rondon really impressed, bullied their two centre halves and should really have got a goal to cap off a fine performance. The same goes to McClean who finally notched up a goal.

It wasn't a game of high quality but it was an entertaining game, pressing the opposition, an open football match with plenty of tackles and goal-mouth action. If we get that every week then brilliant.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
Really enjoyable game I thought where we gave a good account of ourselves against a good Spurs side.

I don't think there were any bad performers although Olsson and Dawson's distribution are obvious weak points in the side. The first goal to give away is Sunday league stuff, one of the centre halves should be gobbling that up. I get the feeling had Jonny Evans been at centre half and not in midfield then it would have been dealt with. I thought Evans played well in the middle but it just looked a bit uncomfortable. I thought the logical thing to do would have been to play Morrison or Gardner deeper but we got a point from the game so I cannot grumble.

Rondon really impressed, bullied their two centre halves and should really have got a goal to cap off a fine performance. The same goes to McClean who finally notched up a goal.

It wasn't a game of high quality but it was an entertaining game, pressing the opposition, an open football match with plenty of tackles and goal-mouth action. If we get that every week then brilliant.

Agree entirely but would also state that Myhill shouldnt really be allowing a ball to travel 50yards into his six yard box without coming for it
However the wind was much more troublesome out on the pitch than it appeared sitting in the stands

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »
I think we looked a lot better going forward without Yacob in the team. The goal came from a 9 pass move that probably wouldn't have happened with Yacob in the side

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
It was entertaining but for the most part it wasn't very good quality. Only 275 passes attempted , only 65% accurately,, only 35% possession. Some of the set plays that we thrive and work so hard on were embarrassing.  Having said that though, the move that led up to our goal was the best in the game (and if done by Man Utd, Chelsea etc. would have no doubt been discussed more in the media), Myhill was hardly threatened, and we even managed more shots than the opposition  (despite their significant possession dominance).
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »
It was entertaining but for the most part it wasn't very good quality. Only 275 passes attempted , only 65% accurately,, only 35% possession. Some of the set plays that we thrive and work so hard on were embarrassing.  Having said that though, the move that led up to our goal was the best in the game (and if done by Man Utd, Chelsea etc. would have no doubt been discussed more in the media), Myhill was hardly threatened, and we even managed more shots than the opposition  (despite their significant possession dominance).

More shots and more on target than Spurs though and I'd argue they are the stats that count as they can lead to goals. Possession is pointless if you don't do anything it.

Agree about the quality of the move leading to our goal though.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27:56 PM »
Passing among the back four in your own half improves your passing stats but doesn't get you further forward. Yesterday we were pressing higher up and had more urgency when we got the ball. Agree with what has been said that we got players to Rondon quicker. He is a great target man but if he could finish we would have been out of sight yesterday.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:07 PM »
Passing among the back four in your own half improves your passing stats but doesn't get you further forward. Yesterday we were pressing higher up and had more urgency when we got the ball. Agree with what has been said that we got players to Rondon quicker. He is a great target man but if he could finish we would have been out of sight yesterday.
We tend to press high for the first ten or 15 minutes of each half before sitting back deep again.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »
Nice of Match of the Day to not show Kanes awful tackle in front of the East Stand.

I thought it was a red myself, high, studs first and definitely a little malicious
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
Myhill should be coming to collect Allis goal before it got to him, Boaz initial starting point was quite good, but he decided not to come for it.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
Myhill should be coming to collect Allis goal before it got to him, Boaz initial starting point was quite good, but he decided not to come for it.

I thought that on Saturday at the game, but after seeing the replays it was an awful bit of defending by Dawson and MacAuley. They should be doing better in those positions.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
How good was Lloris's save from Olsson ?

Quality keeper he is, one of the best in the world for me.

Spurs have got a very good squad. For me they will finish top 4.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
I thought that on Saturday at the game, but after seeing the replays it was an awful bit of defending by Dawson and MacAuley. They should be doing better in those positions.

Having watched it again, Alli ran off Dawson, more his fault than GMac's , great finish though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:59:59 AM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton