Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406618 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Matty Phillips
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
Think he deserves his own thread

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-edging-closer-matt-9560312

West Bromwich Albion are making headway in their pursuit of QPR winger Matt Phillips and have also offered a new contract to coach Gerry Francis.

24-year-old Phillips has become Tony Pulis’ top transfer target and lengthy negotiations with QPR appear to be paying dividends.

QPR were looking for around £7 million for a player who was bought from Blackpool two years ago for £5million.

Pulis is also keen to keep Francis at The Hawthorns.

Francis is out-of-contract after joining Albion in the middle of January in a move that saw Paul Jewell quit after just a few days at the helm.

There have been reports that Francis has been in talks with QPR about re-joining the Loftus Road club.

Francis still lives in London and clearly the commute is far from ideal but Albion are confident he will put pen to paper.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:15:20 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Dubya BA

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
I hope we get him and this thread goes on for a long time but I have a feeling that's being too optimistic.

Prove me wrong please!
Get it right because I will expose your mistakes and I will pull no punches! (although I will apologise if I get it wrong myself). DubyaBA

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
Offer QPR 20 million for Phillips and Austin. You know it makes sense. JP's last present for us all. 8) (If he does leave).
BOING BOING

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Offer QPR 20 million for Phillips and Austin. You know it makes sense. JP's last present for us all. 8) (If he does leave).

I can see JP doing more farewell tours than Tina Turner  8)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
I can see this deal being linked in with one for Austin if we are serious about him. I think he will be our marquee winger and judging on the second half of last season it'll be a great buy if we can get him.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
I can see this deal being linked in with one for Austin if we are serious about him. I think he will be our marquee winger and judging on the second half of last season it'll be a great buy if we can get him.

In either case I think we might have to bite the bullet and pay the asking price, if we start fannying around we'll lose one/both of them.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
I think this needs to be a case of acting quick and trying to get this done before other teams show an interest.

All depends on the player and how interested he is, if he wants to see what else is on offer, then this could drag out and we could be left empty handed again.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »
In either case I think we might have to bite the bullet and pay the asking price, if we start fannying around we'll lose one/both of them.

If previous windows are anything to go by I would be amazed if we will find out about any 'actual' bids until at least the second week of July. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
I think this needs to be a case of acting quick and trying to get this done before other teams show an interest.

All depends on the player and how interested he is, if he wants to see what else is on offer, then this could drag out and we could be left empty handed again.

I'm not sure he will you know, He won't want to be playing in the championship next year especially for a QPR team that might find themselves in trouble, it's a given Austin is going and I really can't see them competing under Ramsey. Realistically it's going to be clubs around our size coming in for him with similar financial deals, if I was him I wouldn't be hanging around to see what offers come in, as he runs the risk of clubs moving on with him stuck playing in the championship.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »
In fairness from what was said, we did make positive efforts with Gignac and especially Ba. Now it's sounding as though we are getting serious about Phillips....hopefully our luck will change on this one.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »
Hopefully we hear something this week be an exciting signing then we can concentrate on a striker and fullback, boing boing.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
Matty Phillips - is this supposed to be our marquee signing? If it is it's an insult.

Charlie Austin should be our top target - go and get him. His and Berahino's goals almost guarantee you safety before a ball is kicked.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
Matty Phillips - is this supposed to be our marquee signing? If it is it's an insult.

Charlie Austin should be our top target - go and get him. His and Berahino's goals almost guarantee you safety before a ball is kicked.
Haven't heard Pulis mention the words 'marquee signing' and he is meant to be in charge.
 Phillips would be another player to improve our pace and mobility, has good ability on the ball and would be a good signing.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »

Our marquee signing will 100% be a striker. Who's to say though that we won't make several "marquee" signings now that we are being taken over compared to our previous transfer policy of free's and cheapies?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Marquee signings? How about we make the right signings for the job than there have to be a big song and dance about names. Our best signings have been the ones with little hype during transfer window and done the job well - who'd heard of Odemwingie, knew much about a teenager from Chelsea on loan called Romelu and a Congolese bloke who became better than Kaka?

Recruitment may not be what it was, but hyping up names before they sign hasn't done us any favours in recent memory.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Marquee signings? How about we make the right signings for the job than there have to be a big song and dance about names. Our best signings have been the ones with little hype during transfer window and done the job well - who'd heard of Odemwingie, knew much about a teenager from Chelsea on loan called Romelu and a Congolese bloke who became better than Kaka?

Recruitment may not be what it was, but hyping up names before they sign hasn't done us any favours in recent memory.
In some ways, you could argue that chasing names is exactly why recruitment has become so poor, we've taken on players like Scott Sinclair, Marcus Rosenberg, Nicolas Anelka, Diego Lugano, Ben Foster, Joleon Lescott & Darren Fletcher. All are big names in their own rights but (bar the last three) all failed at this club.

Yes, other less well know names have also failed with us & some of the big signings have worked out very well, but I suppose the moral is a big name does NOT guarantee success any more than an unknown.

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
Fee agreed apparently,  nursey has just tweeted. Fingers crossed
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Would be a great signing, however both him and Mcmanaman are right sided. Wonder which one of them would switch to the left?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
Would be a great signing, however both him and Mcmanaman are right sided. Wonder which one of them would switch to the left?
Neither, that's what Mclean and Brunt are for.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
Neither, that's what Mclean and Brunt are for.

Personally I think Mcmanaman and phillips are both starting wingers and brunt at left back.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
i love wingers. Some get you out of your seat, i wouldnt call him Marquee though
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
I would caution it is the Mirror and they are more than happy to jump the gun on a story so they can put the "exclusive" label on it. Assuming it is right and we are spending £7m on another right winger fine personally given the other substantial gaps in the squad I wouldn't have but I certainly don't have the full picture so I will have to see what else happens.

I don't care if we don't make a bloody "Marquee signing"  in fact I hope we don't. I would rather have a balanced team at the end of the window than a collection individuals that have impressive Cv's but don't work as unit.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
John Percy @John__Percy
West Brom's opening bid for QPR winger Matt Phillips has been rejected. Offer was £5m, QPR valuation is £10m. Further talks this week #wba

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Frankly the John Perry story is more believable as you were. ::)
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Given the Mirror's previous history on their coverage of the Albion, I'll go with John Percy's story.

At least there appears to be some movement on this potential transfer which is promising.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom