Author Topic: 1 Jan 2020 Albion 1 Leeds United 1  (Read 41583 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2020, 11:28:33 PM »
Thought we kept them quiet tonight up top and only for a lucky deflection we'd be sitting top. Not happy with us sitting on a 75 second 1 nil lead when our strength is utilising our domination of the ball with the attacking threat of our forward players. Krov doesn't do it for me on or of the ball and was happy when Edwards came on to bring more ballance to our shape, Bartley man of the match for me kept our back line in check.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2020, 11:40:00 PM »
Thought we kept them quiet tonight up top and only for a lucky deflection we'd be sitting top. Not happy with us sitting on a 75 second 1 nil lead when our strength is utilising our domination of the ball with the attacking threat of our forward players. Krov doesn't do it for me on or of the ball and was happy when Edwards came on to bring more ballance to our shape, Bartley man of the match for me kept our back line in check.
I said the same earlier... don't sit, go for the jugular.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2020, 11:58:23 PM »
Still think Brentford are the most impressive team played at the Hawthornes this season, Leeds knock it around quite well but Brentford look far more dangerous.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2020, 12:10:26 AM »
Going back to Pulis days, but we should have found more from set pieces. I don’t think I’ve seen a mismatch in height like today all season. Ajayi and Bartley towered over Leeds big guys.

Chance missed. Desperately need Diagana/ pacey winger and a fast, mobile striker who can score, but why would Ollie Watkins come here?  :(

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #279 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:11 AM »
The word for us is disjointed, nice little triangles, good play at times, but just not really getting it together at the
Table looks OK though at the moment, but we need solid reinforcements in Jan.

if forest win their game in hand and then beat us we only have a 3 point cushion. we have let a lovely situation slip through our fingers

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:46 AM »
Leeds looked like a potential Premier team not us.  We gave up 65% possession.  Tony Pulis like stats.  Phillips chance that was it.  We never went for the win in reality, just tried to keep Leeds at bay. Worrying signs if we do get promoted.
Yet at Elland Road we looked the better team passing the ball around with confidence.
Therefore I'm not buying that Leeds are the better all round team. Though of course missing Diangana this time might have been the difference.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #281 on: January 02, 2020, 01:12:40 AM »
For the record

Attendance: 25,618 (season high)
Home: 23,629
Away: 1,989 (season high)

Andio

• Youth Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #282 on: January 02, 2020, 04:46:03 AM »
As a referee myself I found some of his cards(or lack thereof)  baffling.

Pereira was running through on a break and he got brought down by Kalvin Phillips. The most blatant yellow card you (I) would give.

A few minutes later Kalvin Phillips commits yet another foul, and still no card is produced!

Not long after that Bartley (I think it was) commits a similar foul on a Leeds break and gets a yellow card shoved up his nose!

No consistency whatsoever, I'm sure his observer (no longer called assessors) would have had a word to him about that after the game!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »
Leeds looked like a potential Premier team not us.  We gave up 65% possession.  Tony Pulis like stats.  Phillips chance that was it.  We never went for the win in reality, just tried to keep Leeds at bay. Worrying signs if we do get promoted.

Probably need to watch the game again. You quote Pulis stats, but possession does not win you the game. We had 6 shots on target compared to their two. For all their possession and crisp passing they didn't really trouble us when it mattered. I mentioned the shots on target stat the other day in the SJ thread - we reversed it yesterday, and but for an in form goalkeeper we could have won that.

Leeds are a good side, and will almost certainly go up this year. Talking to some Leeds fans in the pub, they are not bothered about us. They know we are good and just wanted the point - they are concerned about Brentford, who for me have been the best team I have seen down there for some time. 

A good game and several sqeaky bum moments, but to say we did not go for the win is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 06:41:29 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #284 on: January 02, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
But for an unlucky deflection (again) against arguably the best attacking team in this league, we'd be sitting top, 3 points clear of second and 11 points clear of third.
Forget the possession stats, playing the ball along the back line gets your possession stats up but doesn't score you goals.
For all their possession, it was  their keeper who was the busier of the two.
If Phillips but that chance away (as he should have) half of the comments on this post wouldn't be there.
Some of the existing squad need a rest, some new blood needs to be added.
Don't panic chaps!
Not yet  ;)   
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2020, 07:48:04 AM »
As a referee myself I found some of his cards(or lack thereof)  baffling.

Pereira was running through on a break and he got brought down by Kalvin Phillips. The most blatant yellow card you (I) would give.

A few minutes later Kalvin Phillips commits yet another foul, and still no card is produced!

Not long after that Bartley (I think it was) commits a similar foul on a Leeds break and gets a yellow card shoved up his nose!

No consistency whatsoever, I'm sure his observer (no longer called assessors) would have had a word to him about that after the game!
Do you have any thoughts on the dragging down of Sawyers in their box?
https://videodownloaderbot.com/#/downloads/Leafagee
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:53:27 AM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
Your obsession with possession stats is strange when we hammered them 4-1 last year we gave up 70% bet you didn't complain after that though.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
But for an unlucky deflection (again) against arguably the best attacking team in this league, we'd be sitting top, 3 points clear of second and 11 points clear of third.
Forget the possession stats, playing the ball along the back line gets your possession stats up but doesn't score you goals.
If Phillips but that chance away (as he should have) half of the comments on this post wouldn't be there.
Don't panic chaps!
Not yet  ;)
Don't forget the stonewall penalty in the first half when Sawyers was thrown to the ground
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:12 AM »
Don't panic chaps!
Not yet  ;)

There's certainly no need to panic. As I have said before, Bilic has worked absolute miracles to get us to where we are right now and I have full faith in him to continue to work them provided we support him in the transfer market. It is imperative that we back him as our current squad, from an attacking perspective as much as anything, is threadbare.

From the Christmas period a few things come to mind. HRK is back to the HRK of old, insofar as he just is not a very good footballer. He had his purple patch where he was much improved and I thank the Lord that he did as it got us out of a hole at the time, but moving forward he cannot be our starting striker I'm afraid. I am not sure whether now is the time to be investing in a striker, I think I would prefer to bring someone in on loan with a decent loan fee to provide us with that focal point and the ability to run in behind, just imagine Pereira's eyes lighting up as he realises he has someone to put through that actually has the pace to get on the end of it. Edwards/Krovinovic, neither are up to starting at this level and with Phillips being the epitome of frustration, someone that you know can do it, but more often than not either does not have the fitness or confidence to actually do, it leaves us painfully light on the flanks, we need to bring in at least two wingers, potentially a third if Grady does go back, which I personally do not think that he will.

The fitness of Gibbs aside, I am relatively happy with the starting back five. I would bring in a secondary left back as Townsend just is not and never will be good enough, and leave Furlong and Ferguson to battle it out for the right back slot unless the latter is sold, in which case two full backs will be required. I still feel another centre back on loan would be handy, but they would be in as fourth choice so it becomes a hard sell so I would be happy enough with O'Shea covering. We will not be signing another keeper so, whilst I do have reservations on Johnstone, it is not something that we will address in this window.

I am hoping that a rest over the next week or so will bring Sawyers and Livermore back to how they started the season. Make no bones about it, Livermore cannot pass, and in the past few games that inability to pass has put in trouble time and time again which is where we need him to revert back to the player he was early season that spent his time breaking up play and only making stray passes in the final third where it was not such a hindrance. For him to do that, Sawyers needs to come back to the party as he is massively off the boil. He needs to be that metronome in the midfield just keeping the ball ticking over and supplying the passes through the line that force Pereira to come alive.

At the minute, we are basically a team of one tactic, to soak up possession and to get the ball to Pereira with a hope that he can make something happen. It is no coincidence that his goals/assists have dried up as teams now man mark him which frees up space elsewhere, but with our current attacking options, we just cannot exploit this.

My tenpenneth in any event. Most will likely disagree but such is life.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
Don't forget the stonewall penalty in the first half when Sawyers was thrown to the ground
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »
A bit surprised by some of the commentd about Robson-Kanu. I do understand the point that we need more of a goal threat up top and he is ultimately limited due tk his lack of oace or ability to beat a man, but he worked tirelessly yesterday and put Phillips through for what should have been a 2-0 lead.

We ideally need a striker this month to become first choice but I wouldn't really highlight HRK as the problem yesterday. It was more down to Sawyers, Livermore and Krovinovic all looking off the pace and also our lack of threat from wide areas.
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
A bit surprised by some of the commentd about Robson-Kanu. I do understand the point that we need more of a goal threat up top and he is ultimately limited due tk his lack of oace or ability to beat a man, but he worked tirelessly yesterday and put Phillips through for what should have been a 2-0 lead.

We ideally need a striker this month to become first choice but I wouldn't really highlight HRK as the problem yesterday. It was more down to Sawyers, Livermore and Krovinovic all looking off the pace and also our lack of threat from wide areas.

Don't get me wrong, you cannot fault his workrate and effort, but you need more than just that. Look at the effect Bamford had for Leeds and how good he has been for them generally this season, you just do not get that with HRK, for which I attach no blame to him, I am sure he is aware of his own inabilities.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »

The ref had the best view in the house for that. Unbelievable.

I thought the ref for the Middlesborough game was bad, he was not much better yesterday.
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »

I didn't factor that in as I thought they we were lucky to escape when Townsend leaned into one in the first half
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2020, 09:44:33 AM »
I didn't factor that in as I thought they we were lucky to escape when Townsend leaned into one in the first half

They were both penalties. Ours came first though. If that's given theirs doesn't come about.

Ref was poor as they usually are.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
We looked a shadow of the side that out-played Leeds at Elland Road. The performances were chalk and cheese.

I thought we started brightly but then allowed Leeds to dictate the tempo of the game - their movement of the ball was good. I lost count the amount of times either Costa or Harrison had the freedom of the borough.

I thought the full backs defended very well - Furlong in the first half and Townsend in the second half.

We looked knackered towards the end of the game - a few of them were blowing out their backsides.

Phillips showed no conviction when placed through one on one - he should have buried that opportunity.

Krovinovic was poor I thought - too easily brushed off the ball and it meant we were far too reliant on Pereria who was marshalled well by Phillips.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
We looked a shadow of the side that out-played Leeds at Elland Road. The performances were chalk and cheese.

I thought we started brightly but then allowed Leeds to dictate the tempo of the game - their movement of the ball was good. I lost count the amount of times either Costa or Harrison had the freedom of the borough.

I thought the full backs defended very well - Furlong in the first half and Townsend in the second half.

We looked knackered towards the end of the game - a few of them were blowing out their backsides.

Phillips showed no conviction when placed through one on one - he should have buried that opportunity.

Krovinovic was poor I thought - too easily brushed off the ball and it meant we were far too reliant on Pereria who was marshalled well by Phillips.

A lot of good points there. I know we had a post on League positions by Expected Goals. Would be interested to see how the two games with Leeds compared. It felt like we were outplayed yesterday but I would expect us to have battered them on Expected goals while when we generally outplayed them at Elland Road; they still from what I recall seem to have created a lot of the clearer chances.

Did celebrate the opening goal naturally but did state on my WhatsApp group that it was probably way too early to score. Wasn't surprised that Leeds began to take control; although obviously it is hard to ascertain how much was done to the score-line.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Yeah - scoring that early became a problem. Meant we had the best part of 90 minutes to try and defend and keep Leeds at bay.

They are a quality outfit and were going to create chances/openings eventually.

I am still quite unsure why we were so negative to be honest. The comments about it being a cup-tie I thought were bang on.

I hope that is not a blue-print for next season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »
Do you have any thoughts on the dragging down of Sawyers in their box?

Yes mate, I said at the time it's a penalty all day long for me. That's the first time I've seen the replay of it and it's even more conclusive, Don Goodman's analysis was spot on.

That happens outside the box and I guarantee he would have blew for a foul.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
It should be said that he also denied Leeds a stonewall penalty when, I think it was Livermore, could be wrong, who handled the ball in the box
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.