Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 187115 times)

Legend

• Senior Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Have to say WBAinDevon got his info spot on last night, he beat Jim White to it too.
the regime don't like it man

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
Ill be honest... had my reservations myself, however... have a look at this and tell me hes not what we need to hit teams quickly on the break....

https://youtu.be/sA9A4DmiU0w
You mean like Yacob or Fletcher?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
Have to say WBAinDevon got his info spot on last night, he beat Jim White to it too.

dont ask me for future signings, this was a one off unless hes pally with a few more brothers in law :) 38 you still have the power
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
You mean like Yacob or Fletcher?

Confused what your trying to say bry if im honest?

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

dont ask me for future signings, this was a one off unless hes pally with a few more brothers in law :) 38 you still have the power
credit to you mate you got this one right

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
Sorry thought you were saying he wasn't good at catching teams on the break. I misread your post. I think he's a good addition for many reasons on a one year deal.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
Sorry thought you were saying his pace wasn't good at catching teams on the break. I misread your post. I think he's a good addition for many reasons on a one year deal.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
He's played 628 games in the premier league (4 short of Giggsy's all time record), he's played in World Cups and for some big clubs whilst winning trophies - he also played for the Villa (see what I did there).

If he's brought in to help the likes of Field and Harper i.e. not playing every week, then it's a decent enough signing for one year. I suppose he can fill in at left back as well if needs be.

Having said this, I'd imagine his wages are big enough and would've preferred a player who can help us move up the pitch rather than a another sitting centre midfielder

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
its been a thrill being itk :) chuckle brothers taking the pee

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
No overly pleased but hey ho I suppose he'll do a job.
Just hope his legs don't suddenly go into Lescott syndrome
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
its been a thrill being itk :) chuckle brothers taking the pee
Oh you have just been making it ha ha ha  ha ha Don't know whether I can trust any of your posts you  cheeky rascal.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
This is a joke, if he was really wanted then why wasn't he brought in July? Experience has been mentioned a lot, is not Brunt, Evans, Foster, Morrison, Dawson, Livermore etc all experienced premier league players?
Just another cheap desperate signing yet again from the Albion. I thought we had dodged a bullet by missing out on John Terry !
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
Ill be honest... had my reservations myself, however... have a look at this and tell me hes not what we need to hit teams quickly on the break....

https://youtu.be/sA9A4DmiU0w

Have to say i didn't realize he had such a sweet left foot and i like the fact he is one of those players who knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball before he gets it most of those passes were first time balls and spot on.
He will be a good addition for a year or two.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
Yacob + Livermore + Barry

The slowest midfield in the league?  ???
The PRIDE of midlands

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
Great signing. Frees up loans for Field and Harper. A signing for the future this. Well done Baggies.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
Those Everton fans will soon have forgotten him. He's only got another year or 2 at the most at top level. Koeman has got his head screwed on. He's miles ahead of the likes of Pulis. He's already got Klaasen in, last season's Ajax captain who will cover far more ground, score more goals than Barry ever did.  And if he pulls off the Sigurdsson signing, he's adding even more creativity to his midfield. I really think Everton are going places and will play some really good football to watch. Getting rid of Barry is a logical part of that process.

He's also miles ahead of TP in transfer funds too. Its easy to buy someone like Klaasen for £23m, and look to buy another for £50m when you have a limitless pot - TP does not have that.

Of course the Everton fans will get over it. The point being is that they do not have a bad word to say about him, which makes good reading.......
MAGA!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
Happy with this. Solid, experienced head to take over the Fletcher role.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »
Those Everton fans will soon have forgotten him. He's only got another year or 2 at the most at top level. Koeman has got his head screwed on. He's miles ahead of the likes of Pulis. He's already got Klaasen in, last season's Ajax captain who will cover far more ground, score more goals than Barry ever did.  And if he pulls off the Sigurdsson signing, he's adding even more creativity to his midfield. I really think Everton are going places and will play some really good football to watch. Getting rid of Barry is a logical part of that process.
Comparing Klaasen to Barry is like comparing Yacob to Chadli.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
This is a joke, if he was really wanted then why wasn't he brought in July? Experience has been mentioned a lot, is not Brunt, Evans, Foster, Morrison, Dawson, Livermore etc all experienced premier league players?
Just another cheap desperate signing yet again from the Albion. I thought we had dodged a bullet by missing out on John Terry !
apparently Everton didn't want to sell before, if it means died can go out on loan and get regular games then it could be a decent bit of business.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
apparently Everton didn't want to sell before, if it means died can go out on loan and get regular games then it could be a decent bit of business.

Agreed, might breath fresh strength and life into those young legs of his  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Bob Mills talk sport the best million anyone could spend and they also touched on the Everton supporters love for Barry

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
From the Liverpool Echo.

Gareth Barry to leave Everton armed with the admiration of everyone

And why Ronald Koeman may need to find a replacement
BY PHIL KIRKBRIDE
11:25, 15 AUG 2017UPDATED11:26, 15 AUG 2017

Ronald Koeman has reluctantly agreed to sell one of the best players he has ever managed.

That’s not speculation or conjecture, it’s what the Everton boss said.

It was in the hours after the Blues’ 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion in August last year when Barry was the surprise match-winner, popping up at the back post to head home the winning goal, and put the icing on a typically pristine display.

“...he’s still one of the best players that I have managed in my teams because of the cleverness of him in football is really a high quality,” Koeman said.

The manager’s admiration for the 36-year-old has not slipped, even if Barry has fallen down the pecking order at Goodison since that afternoon at the Hawthorns, and it’s exactly he was at first reticent, but ultimately agreed, to let him go.

Barry, to his eternal credit, does not want to spend the final years of his career as a bit-part player and so wanted to take up an opportunity to be first-choice under Tony Pulis at West Brom.

JS41343071-1.jpg
Gareth Barry shakes hands with Roberto Martinez after agreeing a three-year permanent deal with Everton in 2014
Evertonians will be disappointed to see him go but no-one will begrudge him the move; they may even applaud his desire.

They know he’ll be superb for the Baggies, just like he has been for Everton over four seasons and 155 games.

READ MORE
This is the strongest Everton squad I've known says Gareth Barry
A quiet but classy operator, Barry instantly commanded the respect of his team-mates and steadily won over sceptical elements of the Blues’ support.

Roberto Martinez didn’t always get it right in the transfer market but landing Barry, first on loan and then permanently for a nominal fee, was one the club’s shrewdest pieces of business in recent times.

Gareth Barry celebrates scoring his side's winning goal against West Brom at The Hawthorns on August 20, 2016
The former Manchester City man isn’t flashy, he’s not quick, he doesn’t score many goals or skip past the opposition but his range of passing is extensive, his understanding of the game is total and his speed of thought is what ties it all together.

He’s also got bottle, highlighted by the fact that during Martinez’s final season, which unravelled at speed, he emerged with credit, being named the club’s Player of the Year and the Players’ Player of the Year awards.

READ MORE
This is the truth about those Gareth Barry exit rumours
All wrapped up in an immaculate sense of professionalism, the veteran midfielder will be missed at Everton, so much so that when his move to West Brom is complete, possibly today, they are left without a natural back-up to Morgan Schneiderlin – it may force Koeman into a revision of his remaining transfer plans.

Wayne Rooney and Gareth Barry before the pre-season friendly against FC Twente(Image: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)
His wish-list should now read: ‘Gylfi Sigurdsson, a striker, a left-sided defender....and a replacement for Barry’.

On Saturday afternoon, Koeman spoke about being “happy” to keep him, there has even been talks about the offer of a new deal, but hinted that he would allow this “great professional” to leave in search for regular game-time if he so wished.

He does. And today Barry is edging closer to a move to West Brom, the place where Koeman delivered the fullest of praise possibly available to him.

Barry’s Everton team-mates would all concur with their manager and so let’s leave it to Leighton Baines to provide a fitting final word on a player they call Gaz Baz.

“He is the biggest example of a standard setter in that respect,” he said, last season. “I have got so, so much respect for him.

"He is one of the best players I have ever played with because he’s unbelievable.”

Follow @LivEchonews
VIEW FULL MOBILE PAGE
MORE ON
Gareth BarryRoberto MartinezTony PulisLeighton BainesMorgan SchneiderlinEverton FC

NEWS
WHAT'S ON
SPORT
IN YOUR AREA
LIVERPOOL FC
EVERTON FC
CELEBS
BUSINESS
FOLLOW US
© 2017 Trinity Mirror Merseyside
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
He'll be a great signing. He's in decline, that's normal for a footballer getting into the tail end of his 30's. His from 2015/16 to 16/17 is there in black and white. He will still be a very good addition.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
We can sell him to the Villa when his legs finally go.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Agreed, might breath fresh strength and life into those young legs of his  ;D .
😂 I guess that's what you get when using your phone in work, But also if Field can get out on loan too it also helps
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.