Author Topic: Thierry Henry  (Read 3119 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Thierry Henry
« on: January 24, 2019, 07:27:55 PM »
Thierry Henry: Monaco suspend manager

Wow, that went well then

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46995436
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Thierry Henry
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
Does lend weight to the theory that the very top players struggle to relate to and coach players who can't reach their levels of ability.

Henry was my favourite player as a teenager, but he clearly hasn't been able to (so far) coach players to get better and come up with systems that suit the players he has.

Playing is instinct but coaching is about thought process.
Boing Boing

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:20 PM »
As Monaco are considering bringing back the coach Henry replaced  I’d say the issue is more in the running of the club than Henry himself

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:20:02 AM »
As Monaco are considering bringing back the coach Henry replaced  I’d say the issue is more in the running of the club than Henry himself

I think a bit of both. I can't see Henry going to do great things as a manager.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:45:59 AM »
Pity - he would have done well at the vile  ;)
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:58:32 AM »
Pity - he would have done well at the vile  ;)

Henry was my ideal candidate for that job, still Mr Smith is doing a decent enough job!

It is one of the anomalies of football that a lot of the top coaches never played at a high level, off the top of my head only Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini and Zidane won at the highest levels as players and managers.

As Baggies said it may be  because playing is more instinct and coaching more about theory.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
Henry was my ideal candidate for that job, still Mr Smith is doing a decent enough job!

It is one of the anomalies of football that a lot of the top coaches never played at a high level, off the top of my head only Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini and Zidane won at the highest levels as players and managers.

As Baggies said it may be  because playing is more instinct and coaching more about theory.

I don't think Platini won much as a coach. 

Conte, Anchelotti, Guardiola and Dalglish have all won multiple top titles as players and manager I think as well, but there aren't many relatively. 

Of the current crop, I think Lampard will do well in time.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »
It's not about how good a player's skill was that counts. It's about their people and communication skills. Have all the skills in the world but if you can't bring them out in someone else then it's no good.

I think that's where a lot of managers in other sectors get it wrong. They have knowledge of the job but have little idea how to motivate and work with their staff.

Psychology also plays a huge part in football. It takes a bit more than va va voom lol.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »
I don't think Platini won much as a coach. 

Conte, Anchelotti, Guardiola and Dalglish have all won multiple top titles as players and manager I think as well, but there aren't many relatively. 

Of the current crop, I think Lampard will do well in time.

You are right, I thought he'd won the Euros as a manager but was totally wrong!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
I think it was always going to end terribly (hence why I wanted him to get the Villa job).

Some of these pundits talk a good game and then go into management and realise its a different ball game.

Neville for example, talks brilliantly as a pundit and I can listen to him for ages before getting bored, I was shocked to see him not give it a better go as a manager but it was a difficult job.

Henry on the other hand, I don't even find him an interesting pundit, he seems to just talk about the obvious and I had no confidence that he would be successful as a manager.