Poll

Would you be in favour of a Super League

Yes
No

Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 4047 times)

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

European Super League
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
Interested on peoples thoughts on a Super League (SL) at some point in the future.

If you had asked me 5 years ago I would have been dead against it but have slowly come around to the point where I'd now actively like to see it happen. I know the Leicester thing skews it slightly but realistically as an Albion fan, and like most other fans in the country, I have little to no chance of ever seeing my side win something and the novelty of PL football has well and truly worn off.

When attention turns to next season one of the most prominent topics of conversation will be hitting the 40 point mark which I just find depressing. The best we can hope for is 8th-14th on a regular basis and at some point in the next 5-10 years we will almost certainly be relegated. In the last 5 years we've spent some big money, spent no money, been managed well, been managed poorly, been a newly promoted club and an established club, had 2 chairman/oweners, played some decent football, some awful football, some pragmatic football. The end result has been petty much the same give or take 1 or 2 wins a season. It's dull.

Looking at the table this year the gap seems bigger than ever to the top 6/7 with only the top 7 sides having a positive goal difference. United have been pretty dreadful this season but still won 2 (3 if you're desperate) trophies. Arsenal have been 'awful' for years but still play their 3rd FA cup final in 4 years next week.

If you look below that though there's just 6 points separating 10 teams. How exciting would that be see as a title race most seasons. I appreciate the gap would likely expand but not to the extent it is now. You would have teams like Norwich/Sheff Wed/Derby/Wolves etc  not thinking about going up and clinging on to PL status but going up and winning the league within 5 years. Academy's would become vital to clubs fortunes as the financial gap would be negligible. Scouting unknown and good value players from abroad wouldn't be the difference between 14th and 10th but the difference between relegation and winning the league. In this format Southampton would have won the league the last few years and it's probably fair to say both their academy and scouting has been the best in the league in that period.

Theres other benefits. I think this format would see more youngsters playing first team football at an earlier age which would help the national side. I am completely against the B tam idea thats been floated around but wouldn't necessarily be against the Super League teams playing B sides in the league if they didn't have another side in he competition. Financially fans would feel like they made a difference again as gate receipts would make up a larger proportion of revenue which should lead to more input within the clubs.

Whats other peoples thoughts from an Albion point of view?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: European Super League
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Would be a totally empty victory for the winner of a Premier League without the top 7.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
alot of the sky money would go to that SL has the Premier League would be watered down beyond reaction.
its a no from me

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
Not only a no, but if it happened i'd probably go off football.

Seems a very American idea.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »
Could the be promotions/relegations from it? Or would they all just play each other indefinitely?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
Could the be promotions/relegations from it? Or would they all just play each other indefinitely?
A bit like how the Prem was created.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
 This idea crops up every so often and has done for donkeys years, prior to Sky an their billions. The sticking point is was an always will be promotion, relegation and closed shop scenario.People would soon get fed up of a close shop i suppose promotion could possibly be got round via some sort of play off system but dont see how the relegation issue gets sorted??
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
No, no, no. A thousand times no. It would destroy domestic league football.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
A better option is to make finishing 7th-10th in the PL far more important.  The same could apply across several European leagues for the 4 places just outside the European qualifying places.

Very simple:

7th to 10th qualify for play-offs - semi-finals and then a Wembley final. Put up a £25m prize, with £10m for runners-up, and £5m each for the losing semi-finalists. All paid for out of extra TV money for screening it globally.

The winner goes through to a straight single-leg European knock-out amongst the equivalent winners from all over Europe in the following season.   Maximum 32 countries.  Maximum 5 matches, so wouldn't have the same impact as Europa League on the club.

Striving to finish 10th would be massive.  Clubs wouldn't just be wanting to avoid relegation and relax after 40 points (cough). Huge extra interest in the whole PL.

Ticks all the right boxes for me.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 01:07:43 AM »
Interested on peoples thoughts on a Super League (SL) at some point in the future.

If you had asked me 5 years ago I would have been dead against it but have slowly come around to the point where I'd now actively like to see it happen. I know the Leicester thing skews it slightly but realistically as an Albion fan, and like most other fans in the country, I have little to no chance of ever seeing my side win something and the novelty of PL football has well and truly worn off.

When attention turns to next season one of the most prominent topics of conversation will be hitting the 40 point mark which I just find depressing. The best we can hope for is 8th-14th on a regular basis and at some point in the next 5-10 years we will almost certainly be relegated. In the last 5 years we've spent some big money, spent no money, been managed well, been managed poorly, been a newly promoted club and an established club, had 2 chairman/oweners, played some decent football, some awful football, some pragmatic football. The end result has been petty much the same give or take 1 or 2 wins a season. It's dull.

Looking at the table this year the gap seems bigger than ever to the top 6/7 with only the top 7 sides having a positive goal difference. United have been pretty dreadful this season but still won 2 (3 if you're desperate) trophies. Arsenal have been 'awful' for years but still play their 3rd FA cup final in 4 years next week.

If you look below that though there's just 6 points separating 10 teams. How exciting would that be see as a title race most seasons. I appreciate the gap would likely expand but not to the extent it is now. You would have teams like Norwich/Sheff Wed/Derby/Wolves etc  not thinking about going up and clinging on to PL status but going up and winning the league within 5 years. Academy's would become vital to clubs fortunes as the financial gap would be negligible. Scouting unknown and good value players from abroad wouldn't be the difference between 14th and 10th but the difference between relegation and winning the league. In this format Southampton would have won the league the last few years and it's probably fair to say both their academy and scouting has been the best in the league in that period.

Theres other benefits. I think this format would see more youngsters playing first team football at an earlier age which would help the national side. I am completely against the B tam idea thats been floated around but wouldn't necessarily be against the Super League teams playing B sides in the league if they didn't have another side in he competition. Financially fans would feel like they made a difference again as gate receipts would make up a larger proportion of revenue which should lead to more input within the clubs.

Whats other peoples thoughts from an Albion point of view?
Champions league is as good as a super league let them all flip off if they want, European games are alright but you can't beat the weekly excitement of the English game

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
i am obviously in the minority but i agree with astle for all the reasons he states

the SL wouldnt have relegation but thats their problem, the new english prem would retain it

and no B teams in it thanks so much

i dont think it would kill our football i think it would improve it , especially for genuine fans  - ten years later a lot of people will think the SL is the inferior product - at the very least room for both in the mkt

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:07 PM »
Anyone watching Madrid v Barcelona , ridiculous skill factor by Madrid leading towards there second goal
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
Got the Real Madrid game on, beating Deportivo 2-0 at the moment.
the regime don't like it man

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »
I have long advocated a super league, yes the obvious consequence is a reduction in cash for the national leagues, but it's a price worth paying in my view
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 12:04:56 AM »
I think the Champions League is almost a surrogate Super League but that does have the advantage of at least being rooted in the domestic leagues.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that the shape of the game would be the same if the top bit of the pyramid became detached, I fear that the Super League clubs would strip mine the games resources for their own enrichment at the expense of everything outside it and how deep the professional game would be in those circumstances is debatable 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.