West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Europa League qualification  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie
Re: Europa League qualification
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
So; for the 7th placed team to qualify for the Europa League next season...:

Both:
 - The EFL Cup winner, Manchester United or Southampton MUST finish 7th place or higher.
 - The FA Cup winner MUST finish 7th place or higher. (Runners-Up no longer matter.)

That's about it, really...

Couple of additional points:
 - If Tottenham or United win the Europa League and finish 5th/6th, that EL place will NOT be given to another team. It will remain vacant while they go into the CL.
 - IF, somehow, Leicester and United win the CL and EL respectively, both will qualify for the champions league at the expense of the 4th placed team since only 5 teams at maximum can qualify for the CL. The EL places will then slide higher up the table as a result.
We basically don't want those things to happen.

The ONLY way the 8th placed team can qualify for the EL includes the CL winners finishing 5th/6th/7th.

I was only thinking about this yesterday. Interesting, I didn't realise that the EL place slides up the league in the scenario you described.

There is therefore very little chance of 8th getting EL, only realistic chance from here is Man City winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4.

I, for one, very much hope this happens though! I would take 'Europe killing us' for some good road trips.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
I want European football as much as any, however I'd like us to qualify when we have a stronger squad so that we could really compete with some of the better continental clubs in the competition and still be competitive in the premier league.

Probably another 2 or 3 seasons down the line of the same kind of progress we've been making would see us with a squad decent enough to get into the last 32 and not be threatened by relegation from the prem.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
Our squad isn't big enough at all, Foster is a good keeper, would you say Myhill is a good back up, I think he's declined in ability and we could do with a good understudy. Left back, I suppose we could pick from Brunt, Evans or Nyom. Centre backs we are pretty well covered, and right back. Think the wing we could do with some new talent, and a god creative midfielder. We are well stocked with the holding midfielders, Fletcher, Livermore, and Yacob. I think Morrison has been good in his return to the side, but we need new talent in the creative midfield department. Then up front, Rondon leads the line well, but you wouldn't say Robson Kanu is a good understudy, again think we need improvement in this department.

Its one of the biggest summer windows in our history, I hope we could get two or three top quality additions to our squad and really push on. To be honest I don't think were equipped for it just yet, maybe next season, or the one after.

Offline wimbledon baggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
But no one is expecting us to play how ever many games to win the thing - just be nice to qualify and go on a couple of jollies.

I agree the squad is not deep enough but to give the players a taste for european games would be great stepping stone.

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
I think we area massive club and should automatically get in to this and win it as a stepping stone back to when we rebecome intergalactic world champions , we have 89,000 at home against small clubs like Spurs and Liverpool so uefa should just give us the trophy

Why has this site changed to blue and white colour action instead of our tradional claret and poo?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline hillsm

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:57 PM »
Two points that might be worth consideration before we jump on the European Football bandwagon.

Point one, what are the financial benefits of playing in the Europa League. I have read, that even winning it provides winners with little if any financial benefit. The outlay in participation will far outweigh the finacial benefits.

Secondly, will Tony Pulis and/or the owners, really want to undo all the good work of the last couple of years. Teams tend to suffer poor league form when they appear in the Europa League and this can have an effect that continues for a couple of seasons after  playing in it. The Villa are an example, going back further West Ham and even further back, did Middlesbrough not go in decline a decade or so ago.

In my opionion we need to continue to build and grow as we have been doing over the last couple of years so that  we have a solid squad with strength in depth. We are not ready for the Europa League.

This is just a personal opinion but I neve look for Europa League results or watch the competition on tv, it is a bit of a micky mouse competition.  I bet not many could name the Europa League winners over the last ten years without looking it up. I know I couldn't.

Winning the EL results in CL qualification for the following season, which would be lucrative.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »

Winning the EL results in CL qualification for the following season, which would be lucrative.

Yes but you have to win it also teams winning the EL may start in the qualifying rounds for the CL rather than going straight to the group stages.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
Would Europa league qualification help us attract "better" players?
(Not suggesting that we will qualify BTW)
Christened in rainbow, Grew up in Brummie, Lived in smethwick, Very likely die in halfords!

Offline Baggie953

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
If Albion are now an 'established' Premier League team then we must have an aim to 'progress'.

For me this would be a cup run to Wembley or a shot at European football. As fans we have dreams of watching our teams aim for glory, the same must go for the players. They will want a shot at a medal or have stories to talk to their kids/grandkids about.

A good chance this season so let's make the most of it, who knows what next year may bring as a result, exciting none the less!

Offline DivinePast

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:38 PM »
Would Europa league qualification help us attract "better" players?
(Not suggesting that we will qualify BTW)

I think it will be easier for squad player to come here because there will be more games they can play. (Especially a good back up striker and a good backup GK)

There is a small chance that 8th qualifies for the Europa League but I think it will need Man Utd to win the cup, win the EL but finish outside the top 4.

Offline CL3MO

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
I've heard that 8th place would get Europa League if United win the cup, the Europa League and DONT finish in the top 4?

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
I've heard that 8th place would get Europa League if United win the cup, the Europa League and DONT finish in the top 4?
The Brum Mail did an article on this last week and am sure it said under no circumstances will 8th place get a European spot. regardless of who wins what and who finishes where.

Online tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
The Brum Mail did an article on this last week and am sure it said under no circumstances will 8th place get a European spot. regardless of who wins what and who finishes where.

Yep I think that's true, I believe 7th is as far as it goes
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline DivinePast

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »

Ah that's a bummer then.

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
Ah that's a bummer then.
not really, we will finish 7th anyway.

Online Droitwich Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »
We have a good side, but we have to stop thinking that if we enter Europe, it will be all gold and happiness.
Wigan and Birmingham managed to get into Europe.
They both struggled and then dropped down into the championship.
We need to consolidate where we are in the premiership and build a solid team and squad.
Having said that, don't forget that 18 is TP's squad depth.
Is that deep enough to give us the backing  we shall need?

Offline Sted1990

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
We have a good side, but we have to stop thinking that if we enter Europe, it will be all gold and happiness.
We need to consolidate where we are in the premiership and build a solid team and squad.

Nope. They both were relegated the same season they won the cup meaning their European adventures were in the championship where a weakened Birmingham made the play offs.

Who cares if we struggle next season we want Albion in Europe and if that meant we stayed up by the skin of our teeth but live to tell the tale of Albion in Europe
Then that's ok with me.

Offline Dan

• WBA Coach
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

Birmingham and Wigan were both already in the championship when they were playing in Europe, they both won cups and got relegated the same year.

Under Pulis when Stoke made Europe they stayed up pretty comfortably and made it to the knock out stages so no reason we couldn't do it. Though it will be a hell of an effort to finish ahead of Everton this season.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:13:47 PM by Dan »

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »
Soooo what does Man U's league cup win mean?

Offline Sted1990

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
Soooo what does Man U's league cup win mean?

6th place is now Europe, if any of the top 6 win the FA cup then 7th is Europe.

Offline Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
It would be a laugh if we got into Europe.

Offline Sted1990

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
It would be a laugh if we got into Europe.

I know. Can't see it myself but would love it to happen.

Offline throstle

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
6th place is now Europe, if any of the top 6 win the FA cup then 7th is Europe.

Provided Utd finish in top 6.

Offline TheBrom

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 07:55:23 PM »
Provided Utd finish in top 6.

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but if Man Utd didn't finish in top 6 (highly unlikely I know), and a team in the top 6 win the FA cup, what happens with the European place? Is it just written off?

Offline throstle

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but if Man Utd didn't finish in top 6 (highly unlikely I know), and a team in the top 6 win the FA cup, what happens with the European place? Is it just written off?

Good question and don't know, unfortunately this scenario is not covered at
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/02/23/why-west-brom-fans-should-be-rooting-for-manchester-united-to-win-the-efl-cup/