West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Europa League qualification  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie
Re: Europa League qualification
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
So; for the 7th placed team to qualify for the Europa League next season...:

Both:
 - The EFL Cup winner, Manchester United or Southampton MUST finish 7th place or higher.
 - The FA Cup winner MUST finish 7th place or higher. (Runners-Up no longer matter.)

That's about it, really...

Couple of additional points:
 - If Tottenham or United win the Europa League and finish 5th/6th, that EL place will NOT be given to another team. It will remain vacant while they go into the CL.
 - IF, somehow, Leicester and United win the CL and EL respectively, both will qualify for the champions league at the expense of the 4th placed team since only 5 teams at maximum can qualify for the CL. The EL places will then slide higher up the table as a result.
We basically don't want those things to happen.

The ONLY way the 8th placed team can qualify for the EL includes the CL winners finishing 5th/6th/7th.

I was only thinking about this yesterday. Interesting, I didn't realise that the EL place slides up the league in the scenario you described.

There is therefore very little chance of 8th getting EL, only realistic chance from here is Man City winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4.

I, for one, very much hope this happens though! I would take 'Europe killing us' for some good road trips.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
I want European football as much as any, however I'd like us to qualify when we have a stronger squad so that we could really compete with some of the better continental clubs in the competition and still be competitive in the premier league.

Probably another 2 or 3 seasons down the line of the same kind of progress we've been making would see us with a squad decent enough to get into the last 32 and not be threatened by relegation from the prem.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
Our squad isn't big enough at all, Foster is a good keeper, would you say Myhill is a good back up, I think he's declined in ability and we could do with a good understudy. Left back, I suppose we could pick from Brunt, Evans or Nyom. Centre backs we are pretty well covered, and right back. Think the wing we could do with some new talent, and a god creative midfielder. We are well stocked with the holding midfielders, Fletcher, Livermore, and Yacob. I think Morrison has been good in his return to the side, but we need new talent in the creative midfield department. Then up front, Rondon leads the line well, but you wouldn't say Robson Kanu is a good understudy, again think we need improvement in this department.

Its one of the biggest summer windows in our history, I hope we could get two or three top quality additions to our squad and really push on. To be honest I don't think were equipped for it just yet, maybe next season, or the one after.

Online wimbledon baggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
But no one is expecting us to play how ever many games to win the thing - just be nice to qualify and go on a couple of jollies.

I agree the squad is not deep enough but to give the players a taste for european games would be great stepping stone.

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
I think we area massive club and should automatically get in to this and win it as a stepping stone back to when we rebecome intergalactic world champions , we have 89,000 at home against small clubs like Spurs and Liverpool so uefa should just give us the trophy

Why has this site changed to blue and white colour action instead of our tradional claret and poo?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..