Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363748 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4725 on: June 24, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
Article today in Brum Mail. Thought this for a while when the £40 million pound budget was announced.

These are shareholders' concerns over West Brom owner's spending plan

Albion shareholders say Guochuan Lai shows no signs of splashing his cash on a threadbare squad

09:00, 24 JUN 2017Updated09:52, 24 JUN 2017
West Brom shareholders are increasingly alarmed by a lack of funding for new players so far this summer and fear investor Guochuan Lai has no intention of digging into his own pockets.

Albion had one of the smallest and oldest squads in the Premier League - even before influential former captain Darren Fletcher joined local rivals Stoke City on a free transfer.

But the Baggies are yet to sign a player while other teams of a similar standing - and with larger squads - have already recruited.

Lai purchased former Chairman Jeremy Peace's 88 per cent stake in the Club in a reported £175 million takeover last August.

The Chinese entrepreneur made it clear from the outset he had "no wish to change the Club's ethos or embark on an unsustainable spending spree."

Birmingham business leader Peter Wall says he and other West Brom shareholders are worried Lai's investment ended with the takeover and that he has no plans to add his own cash to strengthen the team.

West Brom latest transfer news
Wall, an Albion fan since the 1950s and a season ticket holder for many years, attended a recent Shareholders for Albion (S4A) forum meeting alongside Chief Executive Martin Goodman (pictured, below) and finance director Peter Band.

He asked Goodman and Band whether Lai would be adding his own money into the transfer pot and was far from encouraged by what he heard.

"Their response was very much like a politician," he said.

"They couldn't really answer the question.

"They just told me Mr Lai was satisfied with tenth position.

"I wonder what kind of message that sends out.

"Our squad is small and aging and needs urgent replenishment.

"The average age of the team that started the game at Swansea on the final day of the season was one of the oldest in the Premier League era - and (37-year-old) Gareth McAuley wasn't even playing!

"What was most disappointing, (about the forum meeting) as a complete Albion nut, was the news there are no funds coming into the club from the club's new investor.

"A lot of business types at the club are getting very concerned that we have an investor who does not appear to want to invest his own cash.

"The penny is dropping."

The summer transfer window does not officially open until July 1, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Leicester City, Everton, Stoke, West Ham and Bournemouth from striking early.

Albion have spent £27 million on three transfer fees since Lai's takeover was announced - £13 million on Nacer Chadli, £4 million on Allan Nyom and £10 million on Jake Livermore.

Those signings were funded by a cash reserve set aside for player recruitment before Lai took over.

Two other players have been brought in, with Hal Robson-Kanu arriving on a free transfer last summer while Marc Wilson was signed on loan in January.

It's thought West Brom will have around £40 million to spend on new players this summer which would represent a club-record outlay.

Part of the budget will come from TV rights and prize money, some is surplus from last summer and around £13.5 million from the sales of Saido Berahino and Craig Gardner.

More money will become available if any more players are sold.

It remains to be seen whether Lai would find funds himself were Albion to spend more on new players than budgeted.

"There has been no suggestion Lai will put any of his own money in and that's the simple message that really concerns me," added Wall, former CEO of Birmingham law firm Wragge & Co.

"It seems that Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth etc, have more purchasing power than poor old West Brom.

"It seems as though Mr Lai has acquired an expensive asset, but is unable to provide the high maintenance and upkeep that goes with it."

To be fair, isn't this the guy that was moaning when JP wanted to sell the club because he had a few shares and wanted to cash them out but they weren't bought? There aren't any direct quotes from what was actually said, only his view on what was said at the meeting. I'm sure he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the takeover from the offset if I remember rightly. I'd take the quotes with a pinch of salt if I'm honest.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4726 on: June 24, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
I know you probably shouldn't put a figure on what we should be spending as it's quality that counts and who knows, but with the type of player Pulis goes for - predominantly having already played in England, then if we don't spend atleast 30 million can't see us getting in anyone decent.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4727 on: June 24, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
I believe JP's consultancy contract expires next Friday, it will be interesting to see if he is retained.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4728 on: June 24, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
I'm probably in the minority but like a few others I'm not really bothered by this news.

To move on to the next level and compete with Everton each season whilst consistently putting distance between ourselves and teams like Stoke/Palace/Watford/Southampton would take an outlay north of £100m in fee's plus a huge outlay on wages. I never saw anything in any of the purchase negotiations that anything like this sort of money was ever going to be available.

£40m in the right hands is more than enough to keep our current squad in the league and in around the same positions if we perform adequately both on and of the pitch. I feel sometimes on here staying in here it's over estimated how difficult to stay in he PL. We should be absolutely miles clear of both Brighton and Huddersfield even if they both spend £70m+ (which they wont) so if either of them finish above us it wont be because of money.

I wouldn't swap our team/squad (as it stands) for Burnleys/Stokes/Watford/Newcaslte or Swansea and arguably Bournemouth aswell. I'd be very surprised if all those outsides outspend us this summer and even more shocked if they all started the season with better squads than us. £40m is not massive in this market but it's more than enough to get us what we need if invested wisely.

I've also seen absolutely nothing to suggest we are anything like Blackburn or even Villa. I despise Pulis and want him gone but if Lai sacked him this summer and replaced him with a Zola/Di Matteo type appointment I'd be concerned. The fact he seems content with what he has seen suggests he is nothing like those other owners who came in talking about top 4 finishes.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4729 on: June 24, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
I believe JP's consultancy contract expires next Friday, it will be interesting to see if he is retained.

Do you have any idea how much he is being paid as a consultant?

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4730 on: June 24, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
It's come at a time where there is no news the club hasn't signed any players so it's created a bit of something for people to get their teeth into .

What concerns me regardless of today's article is there are people with better connections to the club than me who I talk to on a regular basis and they have a total lack of belief in what they currently see and what the future holds .

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4731 on: June 24, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
Actions speak louder than words of course so we'll see what's happened at the end of the window . My feeling is unde Lai, we'll continue to under spend on fees compared with rivals but will compete on wages. He was never going to be a sugar daddy, in fact he seems to be the Chinese Peace so he expect more of the same (good and bad with that of course)

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4732 on: June 24, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
Anyone who expected Lai to invest heavily obviously didn't pay any attention when he took over... when he made it very clear the club would be run as normal.

Plus, look at the other clubs with owners that have just came in and pumped money into the club.... majority of the time it goes t*ts up!

I don't pay attention to the Birmingham mail as it is... and to top it off people are worrying over someones opinions on Lai in there.... give him til the end of this window and then we will see what his intentions are.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4733 on: June 24, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Williams walked over the Venkys I believe so I can't imagine he would hang around for too long if he suspected Lai of being the same cloth.

That's not to say that Lai won't be equally as awful in the long term, but if JW hasn't established this yet I can't imagine who else would be in a better position to make that judgement.

lots to be concerned about but Lai not throwing his own money on isn't one yet.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4734 on: June 24, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
To have a realistic of generating significantly more income from football by investing in players Lai needs to bridge the gap between ourselves and Spurs and that's roughly £100m per year until we get ahead of them and in footballing terms does anyone think that is less than a 5 year project with a slim chance of success? If in doubt that is the same strategy that Lerner adopted at Villa and I rest my case.

It makes me laugh that these "business types" expect Lai to subsidise the club's player budget (virtually no other club works this way in the Premier League) when they wouldn't spend money in their own businesses with a similarly slim prospect of getting a return.

Overall I don't see Lai being like the Venkys who breezed into Blackburn spent money badly and changed everything from top to bottom. While Lai's steady as it goes approach leaves Pulis in place which I feel is holding us back as much as anything else I don't think we are at the top of a downward spiral. We are in the third tier of Premier League teams and nothing is going to push beyond that other than developing our players and moving away from bolting teams together each window to grind out 40 points.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:00:40 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4735 on: June 24, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
Billionaire lol. Cheers for the beer and scarf anyway
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4736 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
To have a realistic of generating significantly more income from football by investing in players Lai needs to bridge the gap between ourselves and Spurs and that's roughly £100m per year until we get ahead of them and in footballing terms does anyone think that is less than a 5 year project with a slim chance of success? If in doubt that is the same strategy that Lerner adopted at Villa and I rest my case.

It makes me laugh that these "business types" expect Lai to subsidise the club's player budget (virtually no other club works this way in the Premier League) when they wouldn't spend money in their own businesses with a similarly slim prospect of getting a return.

Overall I don't see Lai being like the Venkys who breezed into Blackburn spent money badly and changed everything from top to bottom. While Lai's steady as it goes approach leaves Pulis in place which I feel is holding us back as much as anything else I don't think we are at the top of a downward spiral. We are in the third tier of Premier League teams and nothing is going to push beyond that other than developing our players and moving away from bolting teams together each window to grind out 40 points.

Was going to say the same thing. Why isn't the guy moaning about Lai throwing a few million in the pot if he's so concerned?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4737 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Do you have any idea how much he is being paid as a consultant?

None at all, but it came up a few weeks ago that he was retained as a consultant as part of the acquisition deal, & the contract expires on 30th June.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4738 on: June 24, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
Paying big transfer fees is a mug's game.  It's dead money on top of big wages.  I have no problem with the concept of paying above-average wages to attract and retain good players, funded by avoiding paying pointless large transfer fees.  We should be focusing on signing players with a year left on their contracts, ideally a maximum of 2 years, to keep outgoing transfer fees as low as possible. A £20m fee plus £75k/week for a 4-year contract is a £35m total outlay or just under £9m a year.  A £10m outlay plus a £90k/week is a £28m outlay over 4 years, which is £7m/year.  Multiply that saving by 5 players and that's £10m/year or £40m saved over 4 years. Provided that we can manage the FFP implications that's a far better business model for a club our size.

But it must be coupled with a good scouting network to pick up good players from abroad and from lower divisions here with low transfer fees and a resale value. That's where we are really falling down.  Think Mulumbu, Olsson, Dorrens, Odemwingie, Phillips, Yacob, Fletcher - all very low transfer fees.

Yes we may have to still shell out big transfer fees for one or two key players, especially strikers, but that's manageable.

I'm therefore not too hung up on whether our transfer budget is £40m, £30m or £50m because I'd far rather see it invested in wages rather than on big transfer fees.

If we could sell Evans for £25m-plus and buy Smalling for £15m or Shawcross for £10m as a replacement on similar wages then that's £10m to £15m which can be used elsewhere.  Similarly buying Andre Gray for the apparent £10m price rather than buying Deeney for £25m makes far more sense.

I don't get the club's concern over paying around £7m for Charlie Taylor at tribunal, especially with resale value.  It strongly suggests that we have an even better value alternative lined up.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4739 on: June 25, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
Since the beginning of football  league transfers and wages have gone hand in hand. If you want to buy player who is under contract at another club then you agree free with club and wages with player.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4740 on: June 25, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
Since the beginning of football  league transfers and wages have gone hand in hand. If you want to buy player who is under contract at another club then you agree free with club and wages with player.

Not true.  Bosman changed everything.  A player's value declines with each passing year of his contract until he can walk away on a free.

Evans with 4 years left on his contract is worth £30m.  Evans with a year left on his contract is worth maybe £8m to £10m.  Same player, same wages, but totally different transfer value.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #4741 on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »
I have been one of the patient Albion fans, but now this window will decide what side of the fence i sit on, will I class us as well run club but no ambition or will I say wow we have tried to compete we have tried to do something special..only time will tell, over to you Mr Lai!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4742 on: June 25, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
Not true.  Bosman changed everything.  A player's value declines with each passing year of his contract until he can walk away on a free.

Evans with 4 years left on his contract is worth £30m.  Evans with a year left on his contract is worth maybe £8m to £10m.  Same player, same wages, but totally different transfer value.
read my quote take a few minutes  to take it in and then if you want reply. Never mentioned out of contract players

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4743 on: June 25, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
read my quote take a few minutes  to take it in and then if you want reply. Never mentioned out of contract players

Pardon?  I wasn't talking out of contract players either.  You said wages and transfer fees go hand in hand. I explained exactly how they don't, because of Bosman. Until Bosman you would have been 100% correct as a player was contracted until he was sold or retired.  Since Bosman a player's transfer value reduces as his contract winds down, irrespective of his wage level.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4744 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »
Showing a bit of ambition... Fair play.

http://mobile.ytsports.cn/news-3424.html

Palm Eco-Town to build West Bromwich Albion sports towns in China

June 26: As reported by Beijing Business Today (BBT), Palm Eco-Town Development Company, revealed on p5w.com that they plan to construct 5 or 6 sports (soccer) towns called “West Bromwich Albion Sports (Soccer) Towns”. Intelligent integrated landscape environments and the youth training academy of the Premier League club will be key features of these soccer towns.

Palm stated that they are now directing their strategy towards to sports-based towns. Having recently purchased the Premier League side, which is regarded as one of Palm’s key core resources, Palm is going to leverage their ownership of this club to develop the domestic sports market and establish sports towns in China. According to BBT, Palm has signed a deal with the local governing body of the New Area between Guiyang and Anshun, Guizhou Province. This deal will see Palm’s first sports town, which is currently under planning in this new area. Apart from this sports town, Palm also plans to establish 5 or 6 West Bromwich Albion soccer towns allowing Palm to increase their commercial returns and support Chinese football.

Founded in 1984 and listed on the Small and Medium Enterprise Board (“SME Board”) of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, Palm Eco-Town Development Co., LTD. is a leading landscape architecture firm in China. Through merging with Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited,  the owner of West Bromwich Albion, Palm indirectly completed the £175m ($222.6m) takeover of West Brom in August, 2016.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4745 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Think I'd prefer some of the money to be spent on players instead...
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4746 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »

June 26: As reported by Beijing Business Today (BBT), Palm Eco-Town Development Company, revealed on p5w.com that they plan to construct 5 or 6 sports (soccer) towns called “West Bromwich Albion Sports (Soccer) Towns”. Intelligent integrated landscape environments and the youth training academy of the Premier League club will be key features of these soccer towns.

Palm stated that they are now directing their strategy towards to sports-based towns. Having recently purchased the Premier League side, which is regarded as one of Palm’s key core resources, Palm is going to leverage their ownership of this club to develop the domestic sports market and establish sports towns in China. According to BBT, Palm has signed a deal with the local governing body of the New Area between Guiyang and Anshun, Guizhou Province. This deal will see Palm’s first sports town, which is currently under planning in this new area. Apart from this sports town, Palm also plans to establish 5 or 6 West Bromwich Albion soccer towns allowing Palm to increase their commercial returns and support Chinese football.

Founded in 1984 and listed on the Small and Medium Enterprise Board (“SME Board”) of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, Palm Eco-Town Development Co., LTD. is a leading landscape architecture firm in China. Through merging with Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited,  the owner of West Bromwich Albion, Palm indirectly completed the £175m ($222.6m) takeover of West Brom in August, 2016.

all sounds very encouraging, ark at me being positive
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4747 on: June 28, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »

This could go one of two ways.

It could either be a rip roaring success and something none of us could ever imagine, both with the promotion of WBA in China and the far east which generates enough revenue for us to bring world stars to the club, or;

We could be asset stripped and turned into the new Coventry City to pay for the construction of 5 new towns.

Just a thought...... I really hope it is the former.......

I will be calling myself Fritzl next :)
MAGA!

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4748 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
Matt Wilson just confirmed we will receive a slice of the revenue from the eco towns. This could be huge for us

Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4749 on: June 28, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
It would be fantastic if we are able to generate some revenue from these towns. However i'll wait to hear it confirmed by Lai / Palm / the club / an expert on Chinese football or business.
"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.