West Brom Dot Com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Yes I wondered where you had gone Oldbury. The forum misses your common sense input. Thank you for not assuming
that I had an hidden agenda with this thread, I am generally curious about this topic.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Tony Pulis
« Last post by iwastherein68 on Today at 05:26:19 PM »
There is no denying the end of the season was a disaster, but here is the truth about Pulis. He is one of the best prepared managers in the Premier League (and I think you will find so was Big Sam). He is absolutely confident in his ability to get the points if his teams stick rigidly to his plans. There are a lot of 'hopeful' managers that come and go in the Premier League and it is very easy to spend a lot of money and get relegated. Newcastle and QPR are two examples of reasonably expensively assembled teams in recent times that have gone down, so a change to a manager less proven has to come with risks (of course and potential rewards).

I don't see a great deal of risk in bringing in some better players under Pulis and challenging him to hit some targets. I think worst case he is still going to have us in a safe position and in the position to change managers if we see fit, best case... we climb a few more rungs.
If we bring in another Tim Sherwood (for example) we risk being Aston Villa at Christmas and perhaps it is considered too much risk to invest in January and we are back into the Championship.

Points and position wise we could not have hoped for a much better season, save for the last 7-8 games where we would have expected probably a minimum of another 5-6 points.

I think we give him the money (with obvious limitations) and we bring in another 2-3 quality players (In my mind this exact team gets relegated under any manager if they run around again next season).

Give Pulis his players, make sure they are brought in early, give him till Christmas to hit his targets and see where we are at
Good post, spot on
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: New Kit/ Sponsors
« Last post by BigFrank20 on Today at 05:10:56 PM »
Please god, not yellow and green. Don't do this to me..it's crap.
Agreed but if they go for green and yellow then count me in big time for an extra large!  ;) ;) ;)
« Last post by Ukar1 on Today at 04:52:17 PM »
 Please god, not yellow and green. Don't do this to me..it's crap.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Tony Pulis
« Last post by Droitwich Baggie on Today at 04:42:53 PM »
There is no denying the end of the season was a disaster, but here is the truth about Pulis. He is one of the best prepared managers in the Premier League (and I think you will find so was Big Sam). He is absolutely confident in his ability to get the points if his teams stick rigidly to his plans. There are a lot of 'hopeful' managers that come and go in the Premier League and it is very easy to spend a lot of money and get relegated. Newcastle and QPR are two examples of reasonably expensively assembled teams in recent times that have gone down, so a change to a manager less proven has to come with risks (of course and potential rewards).

I don't see a great deal of risk in bringing in some better players under Pulis and challenging him to hit some targets. I think worst case he is still going to have us in a safe position and in the position to change managers if we see fit, best case... we climb a few more rungs.
If we bring in another Tim Sherwood (for example) we risk being Aston Villa at Christmas and perhaps it is considered too much risk to invest in January and we are back into the Championship.

Points and position wise we could not have hoped for a much better season, save for the last 7-8 games where we would have expected probably a minimum of another 5-6 points.

I think we give him the money (with obvious limitations) and we bring in another 2-3 quality players (In my mind this exact team gets relegated under any manager if they run around again next season).

Give Pulis his players, make sure they are brought in early, give him till Christmas to hit his targets and see where we are at
If it's 40 points we get to sit on the beach.
« Last post by Droitwich Baggie on Today at 04:37:34 PM »
We've effectively been sponsored by our owners - Palm. Cash injection?
Doh !
Go get the brown envelope, Harry.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Ex Players Thread
« Last post by OldburyWBA on Today at 04:00:12 PM »
Luke Daniels has joined Brentford on a free transfer from Scunthorpe
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Brunty & Mozza Testamonial
« Last post by Mooncat on Today at 03:58:44 PM »
I seem to recall Clem being offered the opportunity but turning it down as he was apparently quite shy and didn't want the fuss.
General Football & Sports / Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Last post by skyclad99 on Today at 03:49:41 PM »
Interesting stuff going on at Southampton with proposed Chinese Investment

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15301650.Saints_takeover_decision_expected/?ref=mac

I am a bit surprised as I thought that they had a solid financial cornerstone with Leibherr, but she wants to sell 80%. If it goes through it will be interesting to see what happens to them.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Pre-Season Friendlies
« Last post by OldburyWBA on Today at 03:37:55 PM »
Games known so far

July

15th v Rhyl (Away) - Confirmed on Rhyl website, no details of whether 1st team or Albion XI
19th - 22nd - Premier League Asia Trophy in Hong Kong - Details to be confirmed
26th v Burton Albion (Away)
26th v Walsall (Away)
29th v Bristol Rovers (Away) - Confirmed on Rovers website. no details of whether 1st team or Albion XI

August

1st v Kidderminster Harriers (Away)
1st v Port Vale (Away)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10