Author Topic: Promotion to the Premier League  (Read 7296 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Promotion to the Premier League
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »
Lets focus on getting there first then worry about what is needed to survive. As has been stated elsewhere there are far better models to copy than Villa.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
Tell that to John Fleck et al.

For example Sawyers will easily be good enough for the PL provided we get a decent defensive centre midfielder in the Mulumbu mould.

Furlong will be fine in the top division. We know Hegazi, Austin, Gibbs and Phillips can play there. Pereira obviously good enough while due to his pace Ajayi should be able to make a fist of it.

We will need a first choice Goalkeeper, a first choice striker and a left side midfielder. Along with the aforementioned engine room midfielder. The rest are easily good enough to stay up. That's all that matters first season back, another thing Villa and their "top 6" fans failed to understand.

Sheffield United are a different case to us; they have built that team and kept it together, with a long term strategy and a manager. We put together a team last Summer, and it's hard to tell how many had the managers seal of approval.

Sawyers isn't that good. He's got a great range of passing with his right foot, but not much else. He'll get worked out at a higher level, as will others.

Villa may have failed after spending millions poorly, but they've probably got more of a shout than if they'd kept Hutton, Whelan, et al.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
We are very much like Norwich when they got promoted. We don't base our game around a strong defence. We will need to invest heavily in the back 4 if we go up, otherwise I see a long hard season ahead.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:52 PM »
Need a new goalie
A new centre back
Left back gibbs cant be relied on all season
Need a engine room midfielder.
Need 2 wingers
Need a 1st choice striker

We need to do what we failed to do in our last stay in the league (should this thread not have jinxed us) which is improve year in year out.

Whilst brunt Morrison etc did well for us all we did was continue to offer them more money and keep signing squad fillers.

Livermore and Phillip's need to be squad players not starters. We need a new mulumbu a new odemwingie a new Jerome Thomas and a new jonas olsson
O Albion we love you

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
Need a new goalie
A new centre back
Left back gibbs cant be relied on all season
Need a engine room midfielder.
Need 2 wingers
Need a 1st choice striker

We need to do what we failed to do in our last stay in the league (should this thread not have jinxed us) which is improve year in year out.

Whilst brunt Morrison etc did well for us all we did was continue to offer them more money and keep signing squad fillers.

Livermore and Phillip's need to be squad players not starters. We need a new mulumbu a new odemwingie a new Jerome Thomas and a new jonas olsson

and a Ben Foster in a pear tree,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
when we were 12points clear of 3rd place I thought  they would have to achieve the difficult task of averaging  a half point gain on us per match over the remaining 24 matches say 2pts per game minimum.
We would only need the very achievable one and a half points per match.
Now the gap is much lower and the rival's task is much easier.
The reason is we have two many weaknesses.
If Gibbs or Ferguson are missing then Townsend plays.A genuine trier but is he good enough defensively
or attack wise at this level?
Brentford sold Maupay for c20M yet let Sawyers go for c3M>I can see why.He has scored one goal,I can not remember an assist and he is hardly worth a place for ball winning skills.
Ajayi is now making a lot of poor decisions both at tackling and distribution and needs a rest.
A confident Phillips is a very good player but we can't keep playing him waiting for his confidence to return.
Kanu always gives 100% but not good enough for a top team.
Diagana is excellent but he may be recalled from loan.
I fear for our promotion hopes if we do not strengthen in the above areas as I think we would fail in the play offs.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 04:57:10 PM »
I was thinking before Xmas that we had maybe had lady luck on our side a bit, as those stats about chance conversion suggested, until Barnsley equalised in the last minute we were still riding the luck, but since then not a lot of marginal stuff has gone our way, so maybe that's just things evening themselves out.

I'd say 10 wins and a few draws would do it now, so we really do need to beat Stoke to get that ball rolling again

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 07:03:33 PM »

For example Sawyers will easily be good enough for the PL provided we get a decent defensive centre midfielder in the Mulumbu mould.

Furlong will be fine in the top division. We know Hegazi, Austin, Gibbs and Phillips can play there. Pereira obviously good enough while due to his pace Ajayi should be able to make a fist of it.

We will need a first choice Goalkeeper, a first choice striker and a left side midfielder. Along with the aforementioned engine room midfielder. The rest are easily good enough to stay up. That's all that matters first season back, another thing Villa and their "top 6" fans failed to understand.

I agree with this. The ball winning midfielder needs to be top drawer.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:08 PM »
Lets focus on getting there first then worry about what is needed to survive. As has been stated elsewhere there are far better models to copy than Villa.

Very much agree, one game at a time. Let's leave the other stuff for muppets who book up hotels near Wembley before playing Bradford  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.