Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844301 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3950 on: June 17, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
Think that's a bit unfair, he did a decent job, just didn't quite have that extra bit of oomph. If I were to put together a list of chyte managers he would be nowhere near the top.
Hope he gets the chance to continue his managerial career and is a huge success.

Absolutely, we have had some shocking managers over the years. Even relatively recently remember Brian Little prior to Megson- A tenure that so nearly took us into League One.  That was only nine years ago.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3951 on: June 17, 2019, 04:43:23 PM »
weve had some terrible managers but saying he wouldn't be near the top of the list does not mean hes a good manager does it ?

the resources he had we should have been higher than 4th its as simple as that really and he was very lucky to get the job in the first place.

a poor manager but lovely man and ex player. i hope he makes a career out of management in the lower leagues because i feel that is his limit as a manager.

anybody who plays Dwight Gayle left wing for months really isnt cut out to be a manager at a high level unfortunately.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3952 on: June 17, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
Absolutely, we have had some shocking managers over the years. Even relatively recently remember Brian Little prior to Megson- A tenure that so nearly took us into League One.  That was only nine years ago.
Brian Little was Albion's Manager 1999-2000 so 19-20 years ago mate!!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3953 on: June 18, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Unpopular opinion - but Darren came across as incredibly thick. His pre/post match interviews were quite frankly, at times, toe curling.

Certainly wouldn't be hiring for an in-depth analysis TV show or podcast on the intricacies of the game based on his pre/post match interviews. To be honest I never really pay them much heed. Pre-match; just try to be complimentary about the opposition team and say how great they are whether they are high-flying Norwich or down in the doldrums relegated Ipswich. Post-match; either say we happy with win and move on to next game or just a find way to moan about the referees without explicitly stating it so you can't be fined/suspended.

My own bar-stool interpretation is that he has a strong emotional intelligence and was able to gel the squad together and his football outlook was highly defensively based. That all gelled well after Pardew finally went; when we put several strong back to the walls performance together with a solid foundation and strong team spirit. Jones was bought in to develop our style of play from attacking point of view. Personally I was ok with us trying the new style and making mistakes early in the season but it became evident that we were still playing the style without being able to eradicate the mistakes and didn't grow in confidence with the system. Moore effectively had the final say is accountable as well.
Think he did a decent job with us and overcame his first major challenge to ensure that we were among the contenders rather than having the squad but being in total disarray like Stoke. Having established our position as promotion challengers; in the second-half of the season we didn't kick on enough and were starting to slide back. That slide mixed with Jones stated departure for Luton the following season led to his departure.

Has certain qualities as a manager and some development. Wish him the best for the future and hope he can build up a decent career for himself.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3954 on: June 18, 2019, 11:04:04 AM »
weve had some terrible managers but saying he wouldn't be near the top of the list does not mean hes a good manager does it ?

the resources he had we should have been higher than 4th its as simple as that really and he was very lucky to get the job in the first place.

a poor manager but lovely man and ex player. i hope he makes a career out of management in the lower leagues because i feel that is his limit as a manager.

anybody who plays Dwight Gayle left wing for months really isnt cut out to be a manager at a high level unfortunately.
4th in the Championship doesn't make him chyte either, which was the original quote.
You could also argue that anyone who can manage a team that scores the most goals in all 4 divisions, must have something about them.
We've had better and we've certainly had worse.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3955 on: June 18, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
i think Darren had one failing and that was loyalty to Graham Jones and his coaching ability. Either GJ couldn’t get his ideas across to the players or they were not capable of implementing them.
GJ didn’t show Darren any loyalty either and jumped at the very first opportunity to come along
Sad really
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3956 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
I love Darren.  Emotionally, I thought it was outrageous when he was sacked.  Logically, I could see why someone decided they had to act.  What followed was a farce.  Darren Moore performed his role as head coach to a far higher standard than Jenkins performed his role as CEO.

If we look back to the summer last year... once the extensive search for a new manager was complete and we found the outstanding candidate at the training ground...  Moore had to deal with Jenkins holding the purse strings.  No player recruitment dept.  No legal/contractual resource.  No assistant manager.  Missing coaching staff.  Experienced players with loud voices.  Other experienced players manipulating for a move.  Holes in his squad that weren't filled until the last minute.  All this with 6 games worth of experience.  I think he did surprisingly well... except the two players we spent money on (Johnstone and Bartley) were not really that good.

If we go back to the 1st game against Bolton.  We played 4-4-2 and absolutely nothing clicked.  Nobody knew what they were doing.  Then Jones arrived.  I think he implemented the 3 at the back and also passing across the back. Initially it was really successful (I think we were top by the end of September).  But we were worked out and didn't constantly evolve to maintain our performance.

I think Darren did a great job of bringing the squad together and motivating them.  He was poor at implementing a style of play that suited the players, tactics, subs.  He made a grave mis-judgement in his trust in Jones.  But he was never an experienced manager and needed the time to learn. 

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3957 on: June 18, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
I love Darren.  Emotionally, I thought it was outrageous when he was sacked.  Logically, I could see why someone decided they had to act.  What followed was a farce.  Darren Moore performed his role as head coach to a far higher standard than Jenkins performed his role as CEO.

If we look back to the summer last year... once the extensive search for a new manager was complete and we found the outstanding candidate at the training ground...  Moore had to deal with Jenkins holding the purse strings.  No player recruitment dept.  No legal/contractual resource.  No assistant manager.  Missing coaching staff.  Experienced players with loud voices.  Other experienced players manipulating for a move.  Holes in his squad that weren't filled until the last minute.  All this with 6 games worth of experience.  I think he did surprisingly well... except the two players we spent money on (Johnstone and Bartley) were not really that good.

If we go back to the 1st game against Bolton.  We played 4-4-2 and absolutely nothing clicked.  Nobody knew what they were doing.  Then Jones arrived.  I think he implemented the 3 at the back and also passing across the back. Initially it was really successful (I think we were top by the end of September).  But we were worked out and didn't constantly evolve to maintain our performance.

I think Darren did a great job of bringing the squad together and motivating them.  He was poor at implementing a style of play that suited the players, tactics, subs.  He made a grave mis-judgement in his trust in Jones.  But he was never an experienced manager and needed the time to learn.

Agreed, love the bloke, but never thought he was the right man, as I like experience and promotions on a cv.

His sacking was correct imo (although the lack of planning that followed was a disgrace) as the home form was terrible, if he'd just sorted that a little bit then we would have been top 2.

If only HB had stayed he had the skill to turn some of them draws into wins.

I DM does great in whatever he does next and I would love him to come back someday in some capacity, and even manager if he has earnt the chance by getting experience and promotions.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3958 on: June 18, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
Darren didn’t stamp his authority on Jones.  I hope Luton sink without trace.

As for WBA in 2018/19 so many games of being outworked by technically weaker teams, better drilled, more motivated, every manager more animated.

Darren was there for 7 months.  when he departed we still had a chance.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3959 on: June 18, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
It was just bad luck for DM that Barnes was recalled. Otherwise I fancy DM could still have been with us.
You also have to look at it as very useful work experience for DM. It was his first main appointment, so he will be that bit wiser when the next job comes along. 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3960 on: June 18, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
I really don’t think Big Dave will pick up another Managers job again.

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3961 on: June 18, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »
I really don’t think Big Dave will pick up another Managers job again.

I really hope he does, I think he's a top bloke, one of the nicest people in football and still a legend to me. I think he needs to build a CV and experience at another club , maybe in a less competetive situation than the championship promotion race.

To all those sticking their noses in from other clubs, outraged at his sacking and wishing the club ill because of it, I presume you'll welcome him with open arms when your manager gets sacked.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3962 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
https://www.coachesvoice.com/darren-moore-west-bromwich-albion/

Great read this. The football by the Ipswich game was gone but i will never ever knock Darren Moore he's been one of my favourite players and what he did to turn the club around and that feeling when we beat Tottenham will stick with me for a long time.

Coaches Voice is a great website.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3963 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
https://www.coachesvoice.com/darren-moore-west-bromwich-albion/

Great read this. The football by the Ipswich game was gone but i will never ever knock Darren Moore he's been one of my favourite players and what he did to turn the club around and that feeling when we beat Tottenham will stick with me for a long time.

Coaches Voice is a great website.

Was about to post this link. Puts to bed that Darren is in any way thick. Also interesting to note he doesn't mention Jones by name at all.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3964 on: June 23, 2019, 11:11:43 PM »

Was about to post this link. Puts to bed that Darren is in any way thick. Also interesting to note he doesn't mention Jones by name at all.

What a fascinating read that is. Does he even refer to Jones? If so I missed it.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3965 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
What a fascinating read that is. Does he even refer to Jones? If so I missed it.

Not by name " Even my assistant manager didn’t arrive until a few days before the first game of the season" is as close as he gets. 

The antidote about missing a chat with Sir Alex Ferguson gets more prominence. Actually that gets almost as much space as the events of last season in their entirety. Now that might be editing or it might be telling.

He may not have any regrets, at least ones he is willing to admit to in public and he is way too honourable to snipe at former colleagues but waiting to appoint Jones might be one.

I suspect had the club appointed a Director of Football before the Head Coach wiser council might have prevailed, although in those circumstances Darren might not have got the job in the first place. Unfortunately we have to consign that to the alternative universe of what might have been and we will never know for certain.

One thing that I thought was interesting was he thought that Pardew was not going to be sacked even after we were relegated. That might indicate how different things look from inside the football club (any club for that matter) than they do looking in. I would have given Pardew zero chance of surviving relegation as would have any fan or journalist familiar with the club. 

Much of the criticism Darren has recieved on here is unfair and the nice bloke terrible manager comments are wholly unwarranted. I hope he learns from his experience and finds another job in football he is way too good to be lost to the game and I will always welcome him back to the Hawthorns.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3966 on: June 24, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
Comes across much better in that article than he did on TV at least. When he was in charge the whole thing felt forced and aimless, cliche after cliche spouted especially towards the end although you could tell he knew he was done for himself in the last few weeks of his tenure.

To say he has no regrets seems bonkers and validates the decision to sack him. When things are not working week in, week out you change them. Not become bloody minded and persist to the detriment of the club.

Nice bloke, not a good manager but doesn't mean he can't be one day. Was not ready for this level of job, needs to go to the lower levels and work his way up. Good luck to him.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3967 on: June 24, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
Comes across much better in that article than he did on TV at least. When he was in charge the whole thing felt forced and aimless, cliche after cliche spouted especially towards the end although you could tell he knew he was done for himself in the last few weeks of his tenure.

To say he has no regrets seems bonkers and validates the decision to sack him. When things are not working week in, week out you change them. Not become bloody minded and persist to the detriment of the club.

Nice bloke, not a good manager but doesn't mean he can't be one day. Was not ready for this level of job, needs to go to the lower levels and work his way up. Good luck to him.

I'd believe what I saw and heard in his interviews over a prepared article that I imagine he was not the only contributor to...

Lovely bloke, but painfully out of his depth.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3968 on: June 24, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
I'd believe what I saw and heard in his interviews over a prepared article that I imagine he was not the only contributor to...

True but i always allow some artistic licence whoever it is in print. I don't think any article is ever precisely word for word if you compared it to the original voice recording.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3969 on: June 24, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
Not by name " Even my assistant manager didn’t arrive until a few days before the first game of the season" is as close as he gets. 

The antidote about missing a chat with Sir Alex Ferguson gets more prominence. Actually that gets almost as much space as the events of last season in their entirety. Now that might be editing or it might be telling.

He may not have any regrets, at least ones he is willing to admit to in public and he is way too honourable to snipe at former colleagues but waiting to appoint Jones might be one.

I suspect had the club appointed a Director of Football before the Head Coach wiser council might have prevailed, although in those circumstances Darren might not have got the job in the first place. Unfortunately we have to consign that to the alternative universe of what might have been and we will never know for certain.

One thing that I thought was interesting was he thought that Pardew was not going to be sacked even after we were relegated. That might indicate how different things look from inside the football club (any club for that matter) than they do looking in. I would have given Pardew zero chance of surviving relegation as would have any fan or journalist familiar with the club. 

Much of the criticism Darren has recieved on here is unfair and the nice bloke terrible manager comments are wholly unwarranted. I hope he learns from his experience and finds another job in football he is way too good to be lost to the game and I will always welcome him back to the Hawthorns.

Agree with all of the observations in bold, & I believe, that demonstrates why he wasn't the success that we hoped he would be.

Almost all good Managers have equal focus on people & task, it seems to me that DM tended to have a leaning towards the people at the expense of the task.

As you say Stan, you would have thought "wiser council" would have prevailed. (Jenkins could have advised him even without a DoF).
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3970 on: June 24, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »

The fans who called him thick are the thick ones.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3971 on: June 24, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
Gave the club back it's heart, gave the fans some pride, and even in perceived failure has provided a solid base from which to appoint a manager with the prestige of Bilic. 

The period in which Barnes hit his best form and linked with Gayle (and Hegazi started doing Cruyff turns in his own box) was some of the most entertaining football i have seen at the Albion. That might sound like hyperbole but i missed the Albion team who so enthralled with Cyrille and Laurie etc and was bought up on some pretty shoddy fare which was only alleviated by SGM.  The capped wonders diabolical brand of football almost killed the Albion fan in me and it took Darren Moore to apply the resuscitation by at least attempting to do things the right way, so for that i will always be grateful.   

The only real pity for me, and this was always my concern when he got the job, is that it is unlikely he will return to the Hawthorns again in a professional capacity unless coaching/managing the opposition.  There aren't many like him in football, and for what he may have lacked in the detail as a manger, he bought the other good stuff in buckets.

I wish him all the success.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:49:52 PM by Oldbury24 »

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3972 on: June 24, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »

Have to agree with that.  When I was reading article it didn't seem like it was written by him at all.  Heavily edited perhaps?

Loved him as a player and will always have fond memories of him but I'm not sure top level management is for him.  Would have loved for him to stay with our set up.   I don't blame him for having a go at the top job but he shouldn't have been offered it in the first place.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3973 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
The fans who called him thick are the thick ones.

...insightful.

Anyone who believes that Darren has sat down on his own and typed that without it being edited by another person is frankly deluded.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3974 on: June 24, 2019, 04:31:23 PM »
...insightful.

Anyone who believes that Darren has sat down on his own and typed that without it being edited by another person is frankly deluded.

Of course it's been edited, he's not judged on his ability to write good prose and the English GCSE probably doesn't feature heavily on his CV.  Intelligence comes in many forms and in the piece he comes across as thoughtful and well-balanced.

A lot of the negative reaction came from post match, however, I have heard manager after manager spout cliche so did not really judge him on those interviews, flawed as they may have been.  They followed a standard football manager template of saying nothing but keeping the journo's in copy however mundane.  What i don't remember though is hearing any utter bull spouted by him, and i'll take that.