Author Topic: 23 Feb 2019 Albion 0 Sheffield United 1  (Read 66787 times)

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
i,m saying our build is slow the midfield is slow and the forwards are slow to react   .....................tonight we looked slow all over the pictch do you not agree?

We are too ponderous on the ball.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »
Oh I agree with that, we lacked sharpness for me today, think Phillips can be excused tonight as I think he was thrust in due to Murphy being out.

We lacked a lot today but actual pace is something neither of those players can be accused of lacking

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2019, 09:46:19 PM »
we've got a bit of pace here and there, and our playing it out from the back means when we pinch half a yard... WE'RE STILL IN OUR OWN HALF.

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »
Definitely a poor result and frustrating performance tonight. But, I think there is a massive overreaction from a lot of people ... we are still in touching distance, granted, Leeds on Friday night is a massive game.

We've just came through a packed February, with an FA Cup replay thrown in there. Many said Feb would dictate our season and I remember some saying if we are still in top 6 come end of Feb then we will be in good shape. We took 10 points from a possible 15 against tricky teams; Boro, Stoke, Forest, Villa and QPR.

Fortunately, after the Leeds game our fixtures open up with an opportunity to turn our home form around and build momentum for the final stretch, against Ipswich and Swansea.

3 of Leeds' 5 next games are against us, Bristol and Sheffield United. Sheffield United have Wednesday, Leeds away and Bristol in their next 5 games. Norwich's fixtures aren't as difficult, but they lost away at Preston in the week, anything can happen.

It's far from over. If and it's a big IF, if we can get a result at Leeds and kick on against Ipswich at home then there's no reason why we can't finish in the top 2 come May.

Keep the faith. I think in August if we were told we would be 4th and 4 points from automatics with 12 games to play, we would've happily taken it given it was Big Dave's first real attempt in a tricky division.

COYB. When do we ever do it the easy way?
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
We were terrible today.  We don't deserve to get promotion.

We had to win to just stay in touch with the teams at the top but again we blew it.

Without doubt we have the best squad in the division so it has to be down to the coaching system.

Fans were getting carried away with the recent wins away from home. But looking at it in more detail we have beat Villa, QPR and Stoke away,  teams struggling in the bottom half of the division.

If you look at our performances against the top 8 teams in the division . We have beat Norwich, Sheff utd, leeds and Bristol with teams inspired by Harvey Barnes.  we have lost to Sheff Utd, middlesboro twice and Derby and drew the rest.

To sum up we lost a lot when Harvey Barnes went back. If he was still here we would be sitting on top of the table now. He would have turned all the recent draws into wins. 

Just makes you think where would we have been if we hadn't had him for half a season. I think about where Villa are now !!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
Sheff Utd definitely looked fresher than us from the start. Extra couple of games because of the cup and replay and the QPR game on Tuesday seemed to take their toll. Maybe because we finished the game at their place on cruise control we expected it to be the same.

We started slowly and didn't recover. Barry was way below par. Harper took far too long to get started, wasn't looking for the ball and was then limping for spells in the 2nd half. Johansen or Field should definitely come on for one of those for the last 30 minutes. My main criticism of DM and the staff - if players look jaded, there's no excuse for not using your bench.

Generally we didn't have enough going on with the strikers and Harper behind them.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »
That was the most disappointing performance of the season for me. Big game at the Hawthorns and as usual in such circumstances we don't turn up. I try to stay away from words like awful and shocking, it was only 1-0 not 3 or 4 but very poor seems accurate.

Once again we give away the opening goal. Shocking defending by Gibbs failing to stop the cross coming in for the umpteenth time this season.

Sheffield looked a yard quicker and sharper all over the park. Barry is usually class but he was poor today, not at the races. Livermore was awful, Harper the best of the three but that's not saying a huge amount.

Both full backs were terrible. Gibbs needs a winger in front of him like Barnes or Murphy. If he doesn't have one he gets forward but offers nothing, same idea all the time cut inside, look for a short pass. So easy to read. The only real width we had first half came from Holgate but his delivery was abysmal every time and yes I mean abysmal.

Why was Phillips trying to play like Robson-Kanu first half? He cannot play with his back to goal. He was much better second half when he came wider and started to run with the ball.

We did improve a bit second half but still created barely a chance. Gayle offered nothing, Rodriguez was shocking.
The only decent cross we put in all night Rodriguez handled it. Just about says it all.

Passing very poor, final ball and crossing absolutely woeful.

Over emphasis on playing out from the back again. 1-0 down with only minutes left and Johnstone is still taking forever on the ball. One occasion he must've stood with it for twenty seconds then proceeded to give it straight to a Sheffield player. We have to mix it up you cannot keep playing out from the back regardless unless you're Man City. Injury time we actually hit along ball and Montero almost scores.

Hegazi and Dawson the only outfield starters to come out of the game with any credit at all, maybe Harper - the rest of them dreadful.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »
I know there is still a decent chunk of football to be played, but I think this evening ended our realistic automatic promotion hopes. If Leeds win their game in hand on us, they will go 7 points clear, with Norwich currently 6 ahead and with a better goal difference. Sheffield Utd also have 4 points on us now, so the chances of us going on the required run to close the gap on 2 of the 3 looks unlikely now, seeing as we have been unable to do it for the last 4 months and constantly fluffed our lines whenever we have got within touching distance.

Moore’s job now is to find the right mix of players to have an assault on the playoffs, and if in turn it results in us getting one more chance at catching the top 3 then it is a bonus.

This evening , Moore’s apparent tactical weaknesses were exposed again. His sides have lots of fight and never say die attitude, and he clearly has been able to motivate this side better than Swansea and Stoke have been able to, but i’m still to be convinced that he has the ability to make the best strategic/tactical decisions on a regular basis.

We looked like creating nothing for 60 minutes with the forward 3 disattached from the midfield 3, and lacked creative spark, and yet his first chance was yet again a like for like, hopeful roll of the dice. He could have gone to 2 wingers and 2 strikers, he could have brought Johansson on to add a different dynamic in midfield or he could have moved somebody behind Gayle/Rodriguez like he did with Barnes earlier in the season. Problem is, Moore never makes mid game switches like that. He will only go for defensive tactical switches but never a tweak to our attacking play - other than to make like for like subs (Brunt for Barry, Montero for Phillips). His ridgid tactics may have cost us tonight.
Boing Boing

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »
Definitely a poor result and frustrating performance tonight. But, I think there is a massive overreaction from a lot of people ... we are still in touching distance, granted, Leeds on Friday night is a massive game.

We've just came through a packed February, with an FA Cup replay thrown in there. Many said Feb would dictate our season and I remember some saying if we are still in top 6 come end of Feb then we will be in good shape. We took 10 points from a possible 15 against tricky teams; Boro, Stoke, Forest, Villa and QPR.

Fortunately, after the Leeds game our fixtures open up with an opportunity to turn our home form around and build momentum for the final stretch, against Ipswich and Swansea.

3 of Leeds' 5 next games are against us, Bristol and Sheffield United. Sheffield United have Wednesday, Leeds away and Bristol in their next 5 games. Norwich's fixtures aren't as difficult, but they lost away at Preston in the week, anything can happen.

It's far from over. If and it's a big IF, if we can get a result at Leeds and kick on against Ipswich at home then there's no reason why we can't finish in the top 2 come May.

Keep the faith. I think in August if we were told we would be 4th and 4 points from automatics with 12 games to play, we would've happily taken it given it was Big Dave's first real attempt in a tricky division.

COYB. When do we ever do it the easy way?

The voice of reason!

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
We were terrible today.  We don't deserve to get promotion.

We had to win to just stay in touch with the teams at the top but again we blew it.

Without doubt we have the best squad in the division so it has to be down to the coaching system.

Fans were getting carried away with the recent wins away from home. But looking at it in more detail we have beat Villa, QPR and Stoke away,  teams struggling in the bottom half of the division.

If you look at our performances against the top 8 teams in the division . We have beat Norwich, Sheff utd, leeds and Bristol with teams inspired by Harvey Barnes.  we have lost to Sheff Utd, middlesboro twice and Derby and drew the rest.

To sum up we lost a lot when Harvey Barnes went back. If he was still here we would be sitting on top of the table now. He would have turned all the recent draws into wins. 

Just makes you think where would we have been if we hadn't had him for half a season. I think about where Villa are now !!

I have no doubt at all that with Harvey Barnes still with us we would be top of the table. He gave us that little bit of magic and dynamic running with the ball, creating a goal from nothing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
The voice of reason!

... Or clutching at straws?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »
Today felt like a turning point for me.  It was a test to see where we really are in terms of promotion and the evidence suggests we will fall short of automatic as SU were just too good for us today.   We looked imobile and lacking in creativity n CM and today showed that Harper is not (yet) the answer to this issue.   Unless JM is due a Lazzarus or Johannsen steps up I cannot see options to change this.  Oh wailly waiily me.....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2019, 11:55:54 PM »
Regards Sheffield United I thought they were a functional side nothing more, still expect to finish comfortably above them,  and would be more than happy to meet them in the play offs if we don't make top 2. They stuck to their game plan while Barry and Harper had their worst performances of the season. Got themselves in front after a mistake then through a combination of 11 behind the ball, diving, rolling around, gamesmanship and time wasting held us at bay. Not how I'd want to win but each to their own. Fleck's a dirty little t**t too.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2019, 12:04:56 AM »
Regards Sheffield United I thought they were a functional side nothing more, still expect to finish comfortably above them,  and would be more than happy to meet them in the play offs if we don't make top 2. They stuck to their game plan while Barry and Harper had their worst performances of the season. Got themselves in front after a mistake then through a combination of 11 behind the ball, diving, rolling around, gamesmanship and time wasting held us at bay. Not how I'd want to win but each to their own. Fleck's a dirty little t**t too.
Nailed it
Even in defeat you can see that we have the better team
There does tend to be a bit of overeation on here, there was a point during today when we were  actually favourites to finish top of the league tonight, we went to sheff u and won, we went to Norwich and won....nowt stopping us doing Leeds on Friday
We can't win every match but trust me when we click again soon , someone is taking 6
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2019, 12:07:52 AM »
Looking at our remaining fixtures on paper they are pretty favourable, we have none of the top sides left to play after Leeds next week. The top two isn't done yet.

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #315 on: February 24, 2019, 12:11:34 AM »

... Or clutching at straws?
Hardly clutching at straws. It’s called thinking unemotionally about the situation. 7 points off top with 36 points to play for .... its not as doom and gloom as the majority of people on here make it out to be.
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #316 on: February 24, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
Looking at our remaining fixtures on paper they are pretty favourable, we have none of the top sides left to play after Leeds next week. The top two isn't done yet.

Don't fancy Bristol City or Brentford away....

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #317 on: February 24, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »

Both are winnable our away form being what it is. Tricky, admittedly, but I'd argue we'd start clear favourites against both.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:15 AM »
If we are 10 points adrift with ten left then it's play offs. Anything else is reachable. Deffo stil in the mix just about even if we lose at Leeds

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »

I don’t fancy anyone at home, personally.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »
I don’t fancy anyone at home, personally.

Me neither. We're likely to win at Leeds and lose at home to Ipswich. Would it really shock you?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2019, 12:54:40 AM »
Our home games on this run of 2 in 10 have been difficult. Villa (pre slump) Boro, Norwich, Forest and Sheffield United. Brighton in the cup. Sheff Wed and Brentford was a big disappointment,  but it's been a tough run aside from those. We should put the likes of Ipswich, Swansea, Blues, Preston, Hull and Rotherham to the sword. I expect our away form to start taking a hit.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:44 AM »
Being an oldie, sometimes life’s past football experiences tend to keep my emotions in check. I felt gutted after today’s result, but for some reason, my subconscious raced back to similar disappointment. I think it was about this time of the season, Division Two, with a similar number of games remaining. It was 1976, and we lost to leaders Bristol City 1-0 in an evening game at home. I thought the our chances of making the top two promotion places were over, and because I didn’t have the internet to vent my feelings on, I took it out on Bristol fans. I’m not proud of that. What I didn’t know at the time, was that two months later, despite a loss or two, I would be standing on the terraces of Boundary Park, experiencing one of the the most ecstatic and unforgettable days of my life. What I’m trying to say, is despite this setback, and that’s all it is at the moment, there’s still some way to go yet. Just take the rough with the smooth. And for the younger of us, heads up, and stay with the team. Hopefully, in the future, you’ll have a similar memory,to mine, to savour. COYB.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2019, 03:10:16 AM »
Well our home form has been awful for a while. Taking Barnes out of this system has killed us at home. I don't advocate 442 or even the 3 at back etc as I'm not sure that suits us either. But it's time he goes with EITHER Gayle OR Rodriguez and plays 2 out and out wingers or HRK & and a winger. Today the front 3 hadn't caused any issues we should have took Rodriguez off and got another winger on and tried to get in behind them.

Nobody played well today. Barry looked like he had been on the drink in preparation for his birthday. We were too slow. It was abit like the Derby game from earlier in the season they just were quicker and pressed us and we couldn't cope with it.

Phillips wasted up top he needs to be running in from deep. He needs to be in the middle 3. Harper has lost his form (he's a kid it was bound to happen) he. Reds taking out of  team. He and Livermore are the same player anyway.

Not sure what hoolahan needs to do to get a game that kind of guile would have been useful today.

Hegazi being injured could be a huge blow for for Albion. But the way we're going at home play offs is our best bet.
O Albion we love you

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »
Need to sort out our home form pretty sharpish. Sad to say it looks like the play offs for us now.