Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2019  (Read 10756 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Rugby World Cup 2019
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »
Anybody watching the world cup?

Thought the France v Argentina and New Zealand v South Africa double header in Saturday were great.

Some decent games to come in next few days as well (Samoa v Russia could be interesting).
Boing Boing

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »
Yes, missed the England game asi was at the Albion on Sunday, the all black game was great but it was scary how good they were. The springboks started so well but quality showed through. Can only see the all blacks and someone else in the final. I’m hoping it’s England of course.
Submariners go deeper

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »
Can see the final being a replay of New Zealand and South Africa game . Big advantage for SA they can't meet them in K.O stages until final
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
2 shocks in the tournament so far. Uruguay beating Fiji was amazing for them, but a bit of a shame for Pool D as it gives Wales and Australia near enough free passage to the Quarters (a Fiji win would have given us an outside chance of facing them in the Quarters).

Japan beating Ireland males things very interesting in Pool A. 4 teams could make the quarters there. Scotland should beat Samoa, but you can't rule out Samoa shocking Scotland or Japan. Impossible to call that group now.
Boing Boing

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »
Japan beating Ireland is ironically worse for Scotland than Ireland especially given Ireland got a bonus point against Japan, albeit they were exactly 7 behind and kicked for touch from their own in goal area after the 80! Which could turn out to be a tactical masterstroke should they qualify by one point.

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
I thought rugby shows how respected the referees are. No arguing, unless they want further punishment.
The refs talk to the players continuously. This keeps the players under control. If the TMO is required there is no moaning about how long they have to wait for his decision. VAR could learn from Rugby as could the players. I know there have been some refereeing mistakes but they are few and far between.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:50:03 AM »
Game of the tournament so far today between Wales and Australia played like a knock out game rather a group game.
Both trying to win the group and avoid the half of the draw with All Blacks waiting.
England will most likely be playing one of these in the quarters as long as we don’t slip up.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
Game of the tournament so far today between Wales and Australia played like a knock out game rather a group game.
Both trying to win the group and avoid the half of the draw with All Blacks waiting.
England will most likely be playing one of these in the quarters as long as we don’t slip up.

Brilliant game. Alun Wyn Jones is just magnificent.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
Being Welsh today's game was one to watch from behind the settee. ???
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »
Being Welsh today's game was one to watch from behind the settee. ???

Fiji are a bloody good side in fairness!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
Fiji are a bloody good side in fairness!
Agreed, it was never going to be easy.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »
Due to a super-typhoon; England v France is cancelled so England top the group to likely face Australia in the quarters. Both teams had qualified but placings still up in the air.

Italy vs New Zealand also cancelled. Technically; Italy could have qualified and knocked out New Zealand with a win and denying the All Blacks a bonus point (and/or getting one themselves), but even the Italians in their wildest dreams aren't expecting that. This would put New Zealand and England on the same side of the draw for the semi-final.

The big one that is under threat but not confirmed is the host nation Japan against Scotland. This realistically is the weekend game with the most riding on it. Japan currently holding the advantage after beating Ireland and Scotland needing a win to have a hope of qualification. Bonus points split from weekend along with Ireland's match against Samoa could also impact on the qualification. While the games that are cancelled aren't getting too much push-back from a competition point of view (would have been two of the big commercial games of the weekend) if this game was to be cancelled could see a lot of bickering and fallout.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
It'll be a massive shame if cancellation affects any nations qualification. It is not what people wait 4 years for.

If it only affects the side of the knockout route, I am sure it is frustrating, but there is always a degree of luck there. Arguably if you want to win it you should have to beat the best anyway.

I know competitions can be with favorable routes to the final, but I don't think anyone would look too kindly on a nation if it complains it could have won it had they had an easier run.

I do think the decision to hold it in Japan should be questioned though. Typhoons are apparently quite common this time of year although I don't think there will be a right or wrong answer.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
It'll be a massive shame if cancellation affects any nations qualification. It is not what people wait 4 years for.

Technically it has affected Italy's chance of qualification. The inevitability of the expected result lining up with the actual outcome has probably meant there won't be too much of an issue as there probably should be.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
Why are they being cancelled instead of rearranged?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »
It's a fair question. Lots of reasons I suspect. The inevitable commercial aspects to it...sponsors attendance, TV / supporters tours with pre booked travel schedules, flights,  / whatever.
From a rugby point of view then there's the question of the gap between games. You can get sort of get away with 4 days between games if one of the games is against a 'minor' nation but when it comes down to the big boys facing off in the knock-out stages, you can't have one team licking wounds with a 5 day turn around playing against one with 7 or 8 days to prepare.
With situations like Scotland v Japan where actual qualification for the quarter finals is at stake then they should make every effort to play it even if it's in some venue where no-one is watching.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 12:31:30 AM »

In terms of why it can't be rearranged to another day, rugby world cup rule book states, "Where a pool match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to the following day, and shall be considered as cancelled."

Why that is the case in the first place I'm not sure.

Which then leaves them with the only option of rearranging it on the same day, where the reasons Adder has described come into play, i.e. they can't move 70,000 people six hours away, and that's if they had a ground big enough in the first place.

Whether they are allowed to rearrange to play indoors with no fans as the game has so much riding on it I don't know.

I suspect it's an easy decision for World Rugby to say, let's call it a 0-0 draw as then the hosts gets through to the QF which benefits most bar Scotland.

I do feel bad for Italy in all of this as they at least deserved a shot against NZ.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »
You'd have thought they would have thought of this in advance knowing the possibility of typhoons this time of year and had contingency plans

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
The Scottish Rugby Union are considering legal action........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50011693
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
Seems like it could be one of the strongest typhoons to hit Japan in over 50 years. So even moving teams to play in a closed arena, would be difficult. Lots of places will be in lockdown on Saturday it seems and even short transportation would be difficult.
Mickyk has covered details in moving games to another day. Whether it is sportingly/morally or even commercially right is another question.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
What would they do if this was the final? 

I am sure they would find a way to get it played.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
What would they do if this was the final? 

I am sure they would find a way to get it played.
from their rules on the website, same day cancellation only effects pool games. Knockout matches shall be rescheduled for within two days, if it cannot be replayed within two days or abandoned after halftime, the match will be cancelled and systems in place to determine a winner. The last option is to give it to whichever team is ranked highest in the World Rugby Rankings if tournament variables cannot get a winner.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »
Talk of Scotland suing them. Saying they can pull apart their legal argument easily.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 01:27:25 AM »
I am surprised Sturgeon hasn’t got involved and blamed the English as usual.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Wow, superb stuff from the Japanese  :o