Author Topic: 25 Sept 2018 Albion 0 Crystal Palace 3 (Carabao Cup 3)  (Read 29946 times)

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
has anyone got a spare ticket for this one?

There's thousands left to buy chap, £12 on the gate or something like that?
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
We had a decent league cup run under Di Matteo as well - which was very enjoyable (notably Leicester away) until the horror show at Ipswich.

Hoping for a similar, if not better, run this year but wouldn't be too disappointed if we went out having rested a few as our squad is pretty small this season.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Team
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
A back 4 with Field at centre back would be very unfair on the player. With 3 at the back, you can make the argument that one can be out of position and be the "footballer" in there, but to play him as part of central pair is a bit too big an ask of a 20 year old.

Moore has a number of tactical and selection options to use tonight which you could understand. My main hope however is thst Barry doesn't start. It would be the only one that would leave me really deflated.

Keep him for the away game at the weekend, and instead play Harper/Field/Morrison/Hoolahan there.
Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
I would assume he'll stick to 351, if the fringe players are in they need practice in the system we seem to be decided on for when they are called upon in the league

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Starting XI: Myhill; Adarabioyo, Hegazi, Field; Mears, Barry (c), Harper, Townsend; Morrison, Hoolahan; Robson-Kanu.

Subs: Bond, Howkins, Brunt, Leko, Edwards, Gayle, Burke.

Big test for Field, play CB against a PL team. Hopefully he and Harper can impress Moore today.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:08:17 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »
Starting XI: Myhill; Adarabioyo, Hegazi, Field; Mears, Barry (c), Harper, Townsend; Morrison, Hoolahan; Robson-Kanu.

Subs: Bond, Howkins, Brunt, Leko, Edwards, Gayle, Burke.

Award for slowest midfield ever?

Keep the wins coming lads

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
Palace have a very a strong side. Fair play to Moore for Mixing it. Palace have a strong side. Reckon they will win 3-1

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
Obviously not too bothered about losing this game then..... ;)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »
Annoying that Field keeps being played out of position. What chance has he got of making an impression that will give him a chance in a league game.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
A line up that comes straight from my "i hope he doesn't do this tonight" checklist.

Barry starts, confirming our weekend line up will be the same as usual.

Field starts at centre half rather than in midfield

Youth players jettisoned in favour of shoe horning in senior players.

The line up looks very narrow for me, possibly our most narrow since we went to this formation. Generally we play played 2 forwards who can add width, with Barnes being a ball of energy covering the pitch. In the league cup, we had 3 wide forwards making up the front 3.

This time, it is 2 central midfielders in front of 2 holding mids, with 1 centre forward up front.

The line up does have the feeling of juet fitting as many senior pros into the team as possible with less regard to balance. Have my doubts.

Boing Boing

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
A line up that comes straight from my "i hope he doesn't do this tonight" checklist.

Barry starts, confirming our weekend line up will be the same as usual.

Field starts at centre half rather than in midfield

Youth players jettisoned in favour of shoe horning in senior players.

The line up looks very narrow for me, possibly our most narrow since we went to this formation. Generally we play played 2 forwards who can add width, with Barnes being a ball of energy covering the pitch. In the league cup, we had 3 wide forwards making up the front 3.

This time, it is 2 central midfielders in front of 2 holding mids, with 1 centre forward up front.

The line up does have the feeling of juet fitting as many senior pros into the team as possible with less regard to balance.
Have my doubts.
Welcome to every single Darren Moore team selection.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
One further point, Mears and Townsend will have to make a lot of forward runs to provide the out balls for Mozza and Hoolahan, as it will be very easy for the defence dealing with HRK (who, despite hus work rate, is not overly mobile).

This looks a very old team.
Boing Boing

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »
Welcome to every single Darren Moore team selection.

...who incidentally has transformed our playing style, retained key players and motivated them to perform, brought pride back to the club, increased attendances and taken us to third in the league as most likely the form team in the league. But find a negative anyway...

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »
...who incidentally has transformed our playing style, retained key players and motivated them to perform, brought pride back to the club, increased attendances and taken us to third in the league as most likely the form team in the league. But find a negative anyway...
Please accept by apologies, I briefly forgot that I can't criticise our head coach's decisions. All hail our great, infallible leader.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
Expected a team like this or similar. Expected Burke to start but no major surprises otherwise. Plenty of know how and top league quality so should provide a stern test for a strong Palace side.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »
So can we criticise Moore because he's not taking the cup seriously?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
Expected a team like this or similar. Expected Burke to start but no major surprises otherwise. Plenty of know how and top league quality so should provide a stern test for a strong Palace side.

The know how is there, but I worry about the team shape. Even one change would make a formation that could work but this feels like 1 central midfielder too many.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
The know how is there, but I worry about the team shape. Even one change would make a formation that could work but this feels like 1 central midfielder too many.

It's actually similar to how I'd like us to play in the league with 2 attacking midfielders instead of a striker playing as an attacking midfielder.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »
Please accept by apologies, I briefly forgot that I can't criticise our head coach's decisions. All hail our great, infallible leader.

You can say whatever you want - that's the point of the forum. And I can counter your view - that's the point of the forum. I just don't see why you are so negative when we are enjoying our best spell in years. For someone who I recall at one point being a pretty positive person and being equally as concerned as I was about Pulis, your negativity about Moore has been a big surprise to me. But each to their own - that's the point of the forum.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
You can say whatever you want - that's the point of the forum. And I can counter your view - that's the point of the forum. I just don't see why you are so negative when we are enjoying our best spell in years. For someone who I recall at one point being a pretty positive person and being equally as concerned as I was about Pulis, your negativity about Moore has been a big surprise to me. But each to their own - that's the point of the forum.

Spot on. The negativity from people about Moore who were desperate to get rid of Pulis and with him our Premier League status is borderline surreal.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »

It's actually similar to how I'd like us to play in the league with 2 attacking midfielders instead of a striker playing as an attacking midfielder.

I felt the team shape was quite good with Rod, Gayle and Barnes, no?

Looking for positives, Mozza is back and hopefully ready to push for a place and I get another look at Harper. Also get to see Hoolahan live in an Albion shirt, who, despite me having reservations about him being past is, is a player I have always wanted in an Alvion shirt, just to see his style of play here.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
I felt the team shape was quite good with Rod, Gayle and Barnes, no?

Looking for positives, Mozza is back and hopefully ready to push for a place and I get another look at Harper. Also get to see Hoolahan live in an Albion shirt, who, despite me having reservations about him being past is, is a player I have always wanted in an Alvion shirt, just to see his style of play here.

No I don't think Rodriguez is playing well at all. He'd be a substitute for me giving us a real threat off the bench.

Hoolahan and Morrison finding space in between the lines could cause havoc tonight.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »

Agreed. While I'm a bigger fan of JRod than you are, I could see two attacking midfielders behind Gayle working equally well, but also perhaps giving us a bit more of a grip of midfield. Then again maybe we need two up front to move the oppositions defence around more.

If Sako does arrive things could change again I guess.

Disappointment for me is playing Field in the back three, but I understand why as we need to rest our defenders. Alternative would be to play Livermore in the back three but he is now an important member of our first team. I'm also disappointed about Burke not making the striker role, but then again I think I'm more disappointed with Burke as he has done nothing really to create an opportunity for himself.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »
One further point, Mears and Townsend will have to make a lot of forward runs to provide the out balls for Mozza and Hoolahan, as it will be very easy for the defence dealing with HRK (who, despite hus work rate, is not overly mobile).

This looks a very old team.

My heart sinks a little bit every time I think about our squad too much and this team demonstrates why.

One 35 year old, fine. We have three 35 or older in that side, plus Morrison who seems to be as close to finished as any of those. Throw in HRK  who we don't really need to say much about and its not inspiring.

Whats worse, is how close all of those seem to be to the first 11. A couple of injuries and we will be in a lot of trouble. If we sign Sako that is some relief but even that is short term answer.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »
Weak looking team. Looks like we are not taking this competition seriously, again.....