Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668349 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #850 on: October 02, 2019, 12:18:57 AM »
But isn't that why keepers dive anyway, even if they think it's going wide?  If there's somem spin, or a deflection, etc, then they're on their way.

Just to be clear, i do not blame SJ for the goal tonight.  I thought he had one of his better games.  We still had to head too many clear from practically under his cross bar, and he needs to work on pushing the ball out of the danger zone and not into it. 

It's an observation that I've never seen a keeper concede so many and be nowhere near the ball.
Maybe he is under instruction
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #851 on: October 02, 2019, 06:07:18 AM »
Probably because it wasn't going in until Bartley deflected the ball. He would have needed the reflexes of Superman to get near that.

I think it would have gone in because Bamford was behind him in an offside position, but you are spot on about having no time to react to the deflection. SJ kept us in that game last night.

MAGA!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #852 on: October 02, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »

Not a criticism in isolation, but every goal we concede seems to be accompanied by him standing stock still flat footed watching it go in.

On many occasions he does yes, but that one last night, no way! It was going wide until the deflection.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #853 on: October 02, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
He had no chance with the goal last night - rubbish even mentioning it in my view.

His double save was excellent - more impressed with the first save as that required such quick reactions.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #854 on: October 02, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
Maybe he is under instruction

Unless he's made out of biscuit, then I can't see the instructions being "Whatever you do Sam, don't dive for the ball".  As skyclad sent, Bamford was behind him and would have had a tap in (albeit offside).  Again, I'm not blaming him for conceding, I just think he has mobility issues and it shows up with har far away he can be from the ball when it goes in.

While I'm at it, it's a bit annoying the commentators reckoned if Bamford had tapped it in it would have been offside - you could argue that Bartley put his foot out *because* Bamford was behind him so I'd consider that interfering with play.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:15:43 PM by boinging_along »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #855 on: October 02, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
Unless he's made out of biscuit, then I can't see the instructions being "Whatever you do Sam, don't dive for the ball".  As skyclad sent, Bamford was behind him and would have had a tap in (albeit offside).  Again, I'm not blaming him for conceding, I just think he has mobility issues and it shows up with har far away he can be from the ball when it goes in.

While I'm at it, it's a bit annoying the commentators reckoned if Bamford had tapped it in it would have been offside - you could argue that Bartley put his foot out *because* Bamford was behind him so I'd consider that interfering with play.
Yes to all of this
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #856 on: October 05, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »
He is "holding his own".
With a solid back line, his confidence and his abilities will help him to advance into a decent keeper.
Who wants Foster back? ... You know, the one who keeps shipping goals for Watford.
SJ can only get better.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #857 on: October 05, 2019, 09:38:36 PM »
He is "holding his own".
With a solid back line, his confidence and his abilities will help him to advance into a decent keeper.
Who wants Foster back? ... You know, the one who keeps shipping goals for Watford.
SJ can only get better.

Would take Foster back tomorrow.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #858 on: October 05, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
So would I. He was fortunate the flag went up or there would be more questions tonight.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #859 on: October 05, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »

Would take Foster back tomorrow.
I like "Fozzie", but we have to invest in the future.
Foster jumped ship and showed his true colours.
SJ isn't the finished article.
He doesn't cover nor dive to his left with confidence. This needs to be coached into him.
We have a "work in progress".

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #860 on: October 05, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
So would I. He was fortunate the flag went up or there would be more questions tonight.

Correct. That was another awful mistake, rescued by the linesman.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #861 on: October 05, 2019, 10:10:55 PM »
I for one still think he’s “not very good”

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #862 on: October 05, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
Yep, GK area definitely needs improving at the end of the season. The odd worldy isn't enough when you cannot do the simple things right half the time.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
I’ve been one of his biggest critics but think he’s improved recently. His distribution is probably one of the best we’ve had in a keeper and the point blank save from Fletcher was one of the best I’ve seen in a while, even if he was offside. Rightly got a full standing ovation from the Smethick.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #864 on: November 23, 2019, 06:43:13 PM »
Yep I'm not a fan but he was much better today.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #865 on: November 23, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
If he’d just stood on his line for the penalty he’d have saved it 😉

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #866 on: November 23, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
We're reaching now aren't we, are we really praising him for saving a shot that wouldn't have counted?

I can only imagine the pelters I'd get if I praised Brunty for a great finish when he was yards offside.

This need to 'big up' poor players that get justified stick when they under perform is creeping into our fans. Yes praise them if they actually do well (Bartley today/ HRK off the bench a couple of times recently) but this virtue signalling is not for me. Sorry.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #867 on: November 23, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
We're reaching now aren't we, are we really praising him for saving a shot that wouldn't have counted?

I can only imagine the pelters I'd get if I praised Brunty for a great finish when he was yards offside.

This need to 'big up' poor players that get justified stick when they under perform is creeping into our fans. Yes praise them if they actually do well (Bartley today/ HRK off the bench a couple of times recently) but this virtue signalling is not for me. Sorry.
He's doing the basics much better , still a question for me over long range shots . I'll give him credit for putting a run of solid games together , hope the steady improvement continues.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #868 on: November 23, 2019, 07:51:44 PM »

Which is what I did.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #869 on: November 23, 2019, 08:26:37 PM »

You are correct
That fumble was embarrassing, and still fails to come off his line when a proper keeper would .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #870 on: November 23, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
I’m a believer in giving criticism when it is appropriate and praise when it’s due. Fair and reasonable is a fair an reasonable approach imo
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:37:23 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #871 on: November 23, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
I’m a believer in giving criticism when it is appropriate and praise when it’s due. Fair and reasonable is a fair an reasonable approach imo
So on today’s performance ?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #872 on: November 24, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »
He was fine yesterday.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #873 on: November 24, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »
We've conceded once in the last 3 games, at present it's not an issue. All things considered yesterdays win is probably the most significant one this season when it's looked at in depth.
3 players whose suspensions have been served
Hegazi,Barry and Brunt getting game time which will be vital with the Xmas period coming up.
Forced change in personnel which at some point during a season you need to see if we have the players to play the same system and still win games.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #874 on: November 24, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
He was fine yesterday.
You thought the fumble and failure to come of his line was fine?
Furlong went absolutely mad at him first half when he failed to come and we ended up conceding a corner .