Author Topic: Josh Maja joins Albion  (Read 20053 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Josh Maja joins Albion
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 02:29:02 PM »
Well it's a striker in the door which was much needed.

Welcome Josh!

Unless we sort the defence out poor Josh is going to have to score a hattrick every game.  :-[

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
Josh is the striker we wanted seems to pour cold water on the twitter suggestion we are after another before the end of the week.

It's PR mate I wouldn't pay much attention to comments like that.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 02:34:01 PM »
Have to say I'm pleased with this. Two very good recent additions, both young and like attacking with pace.....exactly what we've been asking for! COYB!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 02:38:54 PM »
its official now. welcome josh. three year deal
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 02:48:36 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/josh-maja-joins-albion

Albion Head Coach, Carlos Corberán, said: “I am happy to have Josh here at the club. It was an important aim of ours to reinforce this position during the summer. We have done so with a player who has a big desire to succeed.

Head of Football Operations, Ian Pearce, added: “The club has been tracking Josh for some time and we are really pleased he is joining us.

“We have again had to be patient, but Josh is the striker we wanted, and his desire to play for Carlos helped us beat off significant competition from a number of other clubs.”

Carlos is happy to have him rather than the regulation delighted.  Is this an IP pick? ?

Seem to be able to use both feet so - given our circumstances - we've got to be grateful ( or is that someone else's strap line?)
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 03:06:29 PM »
Most of the media stuff around signings is PR spin so frankly if  Carlos is delighted, happy, mildly amused or whatever is largely irrelevant.

Look it is quite simple if he is pants he's Pearce's pick if he's good then he's obviously the manager's.

That's how it works. Those are the rules of whose signing is it anyway?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 03:28:23 PM »
Been given the number 9 shirt, all the best to him.

Can't be any worse than our last number 9 !

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2023, 03:42:45 PM »
This is a good signing ,I watched him a couple of times when at Sunderland and thought he had Promise,I understand he’s improved since.
This is the second of two very good signings..I believe there will be at least 2 more in.

I am assuming that because the 2 are young,and positive…that’s why the name “Lai” hasn’t been mentioned?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2023, 04:50:27 PM »
This is a good signing ,I watched him a couple of times when at Sunderland and thought he had Promise,I understand he’s improved since.
This is the second of two very good signings..I believe there will be at least 2 more in.

I am assuming that because the 2 are young,and positive…that’s why the name “Lai” hasn’t been mentioned?

You may well be right! I am pleased to have him here. Welcome Josh.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2023, 05:09:51 PM »
Don't know much about him but good luck to him no offence to him but some of the legends we have had wear Number 9 Astle, Regis, Did Bomber Brown wear it, or Super Bob we really should have retired it after the King Died. More so now We haven't had a striker fit enough to wear number 9. Anyway Good Luck Josh score some goals maybe even Challenge BTA for Goal of the season and you will get on fine with us fans
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2023, 05:16:14 PM »
Cant get excited at all by this. Yes we need strikers in but if was our first priority pick we wanted to get in I would be very worried.
Gera, Gera, Gera

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2023, 05:18:53 PM »
Cant get excited at all by this. Yes we need strikers in but if was our first priority pick we wanted to get in I would be very worried.
Tis all about opinions,but non of us would particularly like to be defending against Dike/Maja/BTA
If and when we have them all on the pitch you would expect we get goals ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2023, 05:23:17 PM »

I'm sure we would've preferred Haaland, Kane or Mbappe but we have to be realistic.

Who would you have preferred?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2023, 06:03:51 PM »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2023, 06:04:10 PM »
I'm sure we would've preferred Haaland, Kane or Mbappe but we have to be realistic.

Preferably someone with a better goals per game record. I hope he proves me wrong.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »
Preferably someone with a better goals per game record. I hope he proves me wrong.

They cost money and we ay got none.

Maja is young enough to make an impact. Look at Akpom at Boro last season, no pedigree to get anyone wetting their knickers.

Maybe Maja can find a home here, be an ideal fit and take his game to the next level?

Let's hope so.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »
rated by many Sunderland supporters  https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/west-brom-sign-josh-maja.1612191/
Lots of comments saying he is a good finisher, wasn't that our problem last season missing too many chances?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2023, 06:25:55 PM »
One or two glasses half empty on here. We are in dire straits right now, this is a hugely positive move and let's be glad of it (and hopeful!!)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »

He might well be a decent footballer but he reminds me more of a Robinson type of player rather than a good out and out striker. I would describe him as a forward and not a goalscorer.
Gera, Gera, Gera

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2023, 07:38:44 PM »
We'll have to wait and see and - I know this is difficult for some of you - give him a chance.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2023, 07:43:30 PM »
He might well be a decent footballer but he reminds me more of a Robinson type of player rather than a good out and out striker. I would describe him as a forward and not a goalscorer.
If he's as good as Robinson but has some heft to go with it, that'll be fine by me

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2023, 08:07:10 PM »
I've been a right miserable git since Periera was given away. But I'm pretty positive about our two new additions. COYB!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »
There is nothing wrong with his goal scoring record in point of fact it stands comparison with many more fated players  across his career he is running at 0.47 per 90.

By way of comparison

Dwight Gayle is running at 0.49
Karlyn Grant's best ever season with us 0.48 (career 0.39)
Chuba Akpom 0.40

So not too shabby.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 09:41:14 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2023, 09:39:44 PM »
As good a signing as we could expect to make in our current predicament. I’m happy with this. He’s a good age too.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2023, 12:47:14 AM »
It's amazing how when we get so many posters praising a signing, there are always one or two doomsayers who are quick to poo poo it.

As we all know poo pooing alone is a court martial offence!

https://youtu.be/QeF1JO7Ki8E