Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 605693 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #3675 on: April 12, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »
Sam: “The people who would lose their jobs are what the players are responsible for — not just their own livelihood but other people’s livelihoods."

You too Sam, you're responsible too.  We were 3 pts from safety when you arrived.

Sam is NOT responsible, no one can perform miracles and I don't believe there is one manager in world football that wouldve kept us up with the squad prior to the January window.

Yes it's only four players Sam brought in but the spine of our team was addressed and particularly our abysmal (and yes I stand by the word abysmal) midfield that couldn't even dominate games in the Championship. Yokuslu alone is better than Livermore and Sawyers combined.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:33:08 PM by Hull Baggie »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3676 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »
At the time yes but we would certainly have fallen further behind. No I cant prove that but I think it's a huge leap of faith to believe otherwise.

Sam is NOT responsible, no one can perform miracles and I don't believe there is one manager in world football that wouldve kept us up with the squad prior to the January window.

Yes it's only four players Sam brought in but the spine of our team was addressed and particularly our abysmal (and yes I stand by the word abysmal) midfield that couldn't even dominate games in the Championship. Yokuslu alone is better than Livermore and Sawyers combined.
I think they look fitter both mentally and physically too .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3677 on: April 12, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »

It is a fact that Allardyce has presided over some, not just one mind, of the heaviest defeats inflicted upon us in many a year. Added to this is his insistence on playing a style which marginalises our most creative and effective attacking threat. Nobody knows for sure the outcomes had Allardyce not been brought in, it is all conjecture influenced by personal preferences, but for me the balance of proof suggests that Allardyce, among others should indeed bear some responsibility for the outcomes of this season
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:39:51 PM by Hull Baggie »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3678 on: April 12, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
Time in passing shocker...  :o
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3679 on: April 12, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »
 I do think our best performance for a couple of years was the one against Chelsea.  I just hope we approach the game tonight the same way even though we start 11v11.

And enjoy the pub, I'm not risking it yet, I feel like it'll be mayhem!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:35:07 PM by Hull Baggie »

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3680 on: April 12, 2021, 02:04:54 PM »
 all parties involved have to take some responsibility as to why we are going down, not just one individual
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:35:51 PM by Hull Baggie »
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3681 on: April 12, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »
All posts comparing Allardyce and Bilic have been removed as there have been 3 requests made by the admin/mod team asking posters not to do this.

There has also been a suggestion to make a new topic for those of you that want to compare the two.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3682 on: April 12, 2021, 03:07:29 PM »
Can't we save the blame game until we are actually relegated?
Because, make no bones about it, if we stay up, Allardyce will be lauded a hero of epic proportions, so it will be the mootest of moot points in the history of mootness..
If he doesn't, then we dissect the season and ALL of it's protagonists and decide how we move forward.

In the meantime, it is matchday and we are still in with a shout so.... Come on You Baggies!!!!!

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3683 on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »
Are we all in agreement that if we drop, we need to keep Sam now?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3684 on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:37 PM »

I would have to question the sanity of anyone who would want him gone right now.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3685 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »

If we can continue to play on the front foot then yes.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3686 on: April 12, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
A job well done tonight.  Kudos to Sam Allardyce.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3687 on: April 12, 2021, 08:06:05 PM »
Well done Sam, brought some belief and self-respect back to the players and the club. An appointment made far too late.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3688 on: April 12, 2021, 08:27:13 PM »
Never thought I'd see the day but Allardyce has made a defender out of Bartley.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3689 on: April 12, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »
First half outstanding should have been 4 up wasn't happy that we dropped off second half but your plan worked with a break away goal. Brought pride back to us fan's BOING BOING

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3690 on: April 12, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »

No at no point would I ever want Allardyce and nothing has changed nor ever will. It is entirely personal.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3691 on: April 12, 2021, 08:38:34 PM »

These last 1.5 performances have been excellent but next season is a big rebuild.  The players he's brought in to make a difference won't be here.  We'll lose Pierera and can't see us keeping Diangana if Sam stays.  So we'll have Sam but not the players that have improved us.

Too many questionable tactics and approaches that haven't yet been outweighed by us lucking into a set up against Chelsea.  There was a glimmer of a poor approach in the second half, we need to keep on the front foot and if things go to plan next season we need to attack and score goals from the start.  The championship is no place for teams who keep it tight at the back and try and nick goals.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3692 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
No at no point would I ever want Allardyce and nothing has changed nor ever will. It is entirely personal.

FairPlay to you actually saying it’s personal, there are too many people who don’t like him as a person but then try and exaggerate some bad decisions to prove a point

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3693 on: April 12, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
FairPlay to you actually saying it’s personal, there are too many people who don’t like him as a person but then try and exaggerate some bad decisions to prove a point

Very true indeed. At least Standaman has confirmed his bias. I can respect that weirdly enough.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3694 on: April 12, 2021, 08:51:12 PM »

Allardyce dropped a clanger playing Robson Kanu and leaving out Robinson.  Nothing personal just been proved right.

Allardyce 10 out 10 for last 2 matches.

I am stating here and now I think we can beat everyone, the only match that scares me is Leeds away.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3695 on: April 12, 2021, 08:55:28 PM »

Not yet, no.

To change my mind after two (admittedly sensational) performances would be fickle in the extreme.

The reasons I've detailed already haven't changed. If he performs a miracle and keeps us up then he is the right man for next season, but a championship promotion push is different.

If anything, the last 2 games, where he has taken the handbrake off and showed what this side could have achieved in Feb and March with the right team selection, lends weight to the belief that Allardyce is too cautious.

Let's see how we feel after the relegation.
Boing Boing

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3696 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:26 PM »
Personal as in you know him and he as done something against you? Or just that you don't like what he as been accused of? Not being funny i just wandered because i have never met and don't know Sam Johnstone! But i just don't like him never have and never will. I said to my son tonight great save (penalty) but i still want him to bleep off.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3697 on: April 12, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
We've taken the hand brake off for the last 2 games, and got players forward in numbers. Before it looked like we were scared to commit players forward in case we were caught at the back. The players first half really looked on the same wavelength making little runs forward and getting the ball. Townsend really showing us what he can do linking with Pereira and Robinson.  Phillips is back to his best. Some dangerous crosses and well anticipated goal. Think its the first time he's completed 90 minutes this season. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3698 on: April 12, 2021, 09:14:42 PM »
Very true indeed. At least Standaman has confirmed his bias. I can respect that weirdly enough.
I am in the Allardyce is the anti-Christ camp, I hope that I am wrong but I still feel he is wrong for our club
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3699 on: April 12, 2021, 09:16:06 PM »
Allardyce dropped a clanger playing Robson Kanu and leaving out Robinson.  Nothing personal just been proved right.

Allardyce 10 out 10 for last 2 matches.

I am stating here and now I think we can beat everyone, the only match that scares me is Leeds away.

Fair enough, I can see that and also feel it myself that maybe it has been lost in those 3 or 4 games against lower teams where a bit more about us we could have won.

Same time I also can see from Allardyce point of view that we were getting annihilated by teams when first come and leaking goals so can’t blame him too much for always putting the defence first.

Tough one but can see both sides