Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758922 times)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #6500 on: December 29, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
Very fair and reasoned article BaggiesFacts. 

But as you say none of us have the knowledge that AI has and nor are any of us as qualified as JP to make that decision, stick or twist I support and back his judgement. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:56:20 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6501 on: December 29, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
I'm going to make good use of my time today and create a paper yellow bar with Alan Irvine sacked by West Brom  on it then turn on sky sports news and sellotape my yellow bar to the tv giving the illusion the inept clown has gone  :D

On a serious note the decision to sack him has already been made but he wont be officially relieved of his duties until after our next bad performance which will more than likely be against West Ham barring a result that will make him impossible to sack i.e. if we won 3, 4, 5 nil.

This makes sense in a couple of ways, if we did appoint a new manager today he would not have enough time to work with players before the game, also if a new manager came in and we get tonked 3 or 4 at an inform West Ham in his first game it would be a morale sapping first game that may may dilute the effect of having a new manager, thirdly it buys the club time to line up a replacement and conduct interviews.

My "personal opinion" is that they are already pretty sure who they want, I don't think we are looking at the length of time it took to appoint the last two managers.

It makes sence.

I hope they get it right this time, whoever they chose.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6502 on: December 29, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
E&S Headline. Lay off my assistants
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6503 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
Lay-off my assistants says under-fire Irvine

Under-fire boss Alan Irvine urged Albion fans to lay off his assistants after the crowd turned on Keith Downing and Rob Kelly during yesterday’s defeat at Stoke.

Irvine claimed he should take the criticism for his side’s poor form and revealed his players admitted to “letting staff down” after a seventh defeat in nine games.

Travelling supporters targeted Downing and Kelly with abuse and used the pair’s links with arch-rivals Wolves in chants calling for their departure.

Both men played for Wolves and Baggies fans yesterday sang “You Dingle b******s, get out of our club.”

Downing has served as assistant head coach to Roy Hodgson, Steve Clarke and Pepe Mel, while Kelly arrived at The Hawthorns as joint assistant when Irvine was appointed in the summer.

Irvine said: “I wasn’t aware of it (the chant) but we are all in this together: the players and all the staff.

“The staff are great.

“I’ve said many times about how good the players are to work with, but the staff are great.

“When you hear players say they are letting the staff down – that was something that was mentioned in the dressing room by some of the players – that proves that they are right behind them.

“It’s the kind of reaction I would expect from an honest group of players. They’re extremely disappointed at what’s happened. The players are fully aware of how well the staff work and how hard they work.

“If anybody is to take it then I’m the person that’s standing there. I stand out there and I don’t go and hide.

“I’m there to be shot at but obviously ultimately I make the final decisions and I certainly am happy to be prepared to take the criticism rather than Keith and Rob.”

Irvine, Kelly and Downing were subjected to boos and criticism as they walked past travelling fans at the end of yesterday’s game with the trio staring straight ahead and walking down the tunnel.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2014/12/29/lay-off-my-assistants-says-under-fire-irvine/

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #6504 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

Under-fire boss Alan Irvine urged Albion fans to lay off his assistants after the crowd turned on Keith Downing and Rob Kelly during yesterday’s defeat at Stoke.

Irvine claimed he should take the criticism for his side’s poor form and revealed his players admitted to “letting staff down” after a seventh defeat in nine games.

Travelling supporters targeted Downing and Kelly with abuse and used the pair’s links with arch-rivals Wolves in chants calling for their departure.

Both men played for Wolves and Baggies fans yesterday sang “You Dingle b******s, get out of our club.”

Downing has served as assistant head coach to Roy Hodgson, Steve Clarke and Pepe Mel, while Kelly arrived at The Hawthorns as joint assistant when Irvine was appointed in the summer.

Irvine said: “I wasn’t aware of it (the chant) but we are all in this together: the players and all the staff.

“The staff are great.

“I’ve said many times about how good the players are to work with, but the staff are great.

“When you hear players say they are letting the staff down – that was something that was mentioned in the dressing room by some of the players – that proves that they are right behind them.

“It’s the kind of reaction I would expect from an honest group of players. They’re extremely disappointed at what’s happened. The players are fully aware of how well the staff work and how hard they work.

“If anybody is to take it then I’m the person that’s standing there. I stand out there and I don’t go and hide.

“I’m there to be shot at but obviously ultimately I make the final decisions and I certainly am happy to be prepared to take the criticism rather than Keith and Rob.”

Irvine, Kelly and Downing were subjected to boos and criticism as they walked past travelling fans at the end of yesterday’s game with the trio staring straight ahead and walking down the tunnel.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2014/12/29/lay-off-my-assistants-says-under-fire-irvine/

Missed out Kiely from that article. Foster and Carson before him went downhill under Kiely. Clear out needed. Get experience in instead of up and coming or never have beens.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6505 on: December 29, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
Missed out Kiely from that article. Foster and Carson before him went downhill under Kiely. Clear out needed. Get experience in instead of up and coming or never have beens.

I agree with that.

Foster has not improved since he's been here. If anything it's almost as if he's being told to stay on his line.

Foster was and could still be a very good all round goalkeeper however it seems that he is being coached in such a way which is not allowing him to do certain things.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6506 on: December 29, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/paulfletcher/2011/02/alan_irvine.html

Sure this has been shared before but history repeating itself......?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6507 on: December 29, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
Think youll find the fans meant Kiely not Kelly.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6508 on: December 29, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »

“The staff are great.

The players and all the staff are great and they are all an honest group of players...so everything is rosey at The Hawthorns then??

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6509 on: December 29, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
"Irvine, Kelly and Downing were subjected to boos and criticism as they walked past travelling fans at the end of yesterday’s game with the trio staring straight ahead and walking down the tunnel".

Alan Irvine looked down and walked with his hands in his pockets.
Kelly looked totally bewildered by everything.
Downing was not looking straight ahead, he was looking directly at the fans and looked furious.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6510 on: December 29, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Can somebody answer this for me - what does "honest" mean? We hear it all the time. It's just BS if you ask me.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6511 on: December 29, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
Can somebody answer this for me - what does "honest" mean? We hear it all the time. It's just BS if you ask me.

Like when you tell your mistress you love her :P
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6512 on: December 29, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »

Downing was not looking straight ahead, he was looking directly at the fans and looked furious.

Yep Downing was definitely looking the fans straight in the eye with a look of 'f*** you' on his face
"This crack is really moreish."

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6513 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »

reading the fans comments about Irvine on that article mirrors what most would think about his tenure here

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6514 on: December 29, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
A lot of industries these days like to employ people with good non-technical skills, this is why the 'great and honest' phrases keep on cropping up.

Yes it is good to have people who are pleasant to work with and are honest, puctual and all the rest of it. But at the end of the day you also have to be good at your job (have the technical skills).

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6515 on: December 29, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
If Irvine was honest he would admit that the jobs above him, not his fault, you're either good enough or you aint.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6516 on: December 29, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
His level is league One.
Perhaps that is where Peace sees us?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6517 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
If Irvine was honest he would admit that the jobs above him, not his fault, you're either good enough or you aint.

The thing is though if you ask AI, he believes he is good enough for the job.

Its all down to individual errors and sometimes not getting the luck. Not down to not being good enough.

He highlights the 15-20 minutes we play well but fails to talk about the other 70 minutes were we dont create anything.

Its the same excuses each week.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6518 on: December 29, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »

Just thought i'd share one particular post which does sound familiar.

2.At 15:01 3rd Feb 2011, AndyParsons wrote:

I was at Orient and we were dire, completely capitulated after going one-nil down. We have conceded 17 goals in 5 straight away defeats which, at just under 3.5 a game, points out relegation form. We have on paper the best squad in the league but the players need a kick up the back side. Irvine couldn't do that but hopefully someone else can. It's a shame as he was a nice bloke but his team selections recently were one of a man who was clearly under pressure.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6519 on: December 29, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
His level is league One.

Is it though? AI struggled in League One aswell.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6520 on: December 29, 2014, 03:15:38 PM »
His level is league One.
Even then he was sacked in League One for a terrible run of form strikingly similar to our own. Amazing that a Premier League club appointed him.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6521 on: December 29, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
Just thought i'd share one particular post which does sound familiar.

That post you copied, was from 2011, so its clear to see Irvine, despite constantly saying hes learnt from his errors in the past etc, clearly hasnt as you could pretty much write that post again for the majority of our matches this season.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6522 on: December 29, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
Even then he was sacked in League One for a terrible run of form strikingly similar to our own. Amazing that a Premier League club appointed him.

I know its irrelevant, but does anyone know how the Everton youth team were getting on results wise when he was there?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6523 on: December 29, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

It's still difficult to comprehend even six months later.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6524 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
We are in freefall mode now and need a complete Coaching Clear Out. I am convinced that JP knows this and is already well under the way to enforcing  Plan B.

He will keep the muppets until after the West Ham , then get rid. Temporary team to look after Gateshead then new team in place very soon after.........now that would be a great belated Christmas present!