Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758945 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #5675 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
He's never said that surely?!
Depends on what you want to hear. :-[
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5676 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
Has he been interviewed about the game yet :-X
still looking at his watch but will interviewed soon.
watch this space.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5677 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
Alan Irvine After Match Comments

"We deserved to win the game and the fact that we didn't was down to us not defending well at three corners and not being clinical.

"Austin is a top player. As I said this week when I was Sheffield Wednesday manager I wanted to sign him. He looks a very good player.

"It's bitterly disappointing to leave with nothing as I would have been disappointed with just a point."

(courtesy of BBC sport)
I fully agree with all he says , is it one defeat too many though ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5678 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »

His exact words  "we handled him very well in general play"
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5679 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »

Christ he sounds like his last days at Wednesday. I know his staying and if he did go we'd get the crownin of downing. but, how better football minds than mine rate Brian McDermott? he's probably on GL from leeds but as an alternative to Pulis

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5680 on: December 20, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
if a player has a quiet game against us and scores 3 god help us when man city come next week
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:03:44 PM by caravanc58 »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5681 on: December 20, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
And so something he hasn't actually said is now being used against him  ???

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5682 on: December 20, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
And so something he hasn't actually said is now being used against him  ???

Not sure what you mean, but I repeat His exact words  "we handled him very well in general play"

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5683 on: December 20, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
Not sure what you mean, but I repeat His exact words  "we handled him very well in general play"
makes you wonder if hes got an eye for talent by saying he wanted Austin whilst at sheff wed, but then you remember he signed chris baird and samaras and reality soon returns.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5684 on: December 20, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
makes you wonder if hes got an eye for talent by saying he wanted Austin whilst at sheff wed, but then you remember he signed chris baird and samaras and reality soon returns.

No the club signed Baird and Samaras.  Irvine doesn't make the signings.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5685 on: December 20, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

No the club signed Baird and Samaras.  Irvine doesn't make the signings.
are you sure, because Irvine said he doesn't have much say in recruitment, then 5 days later says the opposite.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5686 on: December 20, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
are you sure, because Irvine said he doesn't have much say in recruitment, then 5 days later says the opposite.

Both have been on our radar for years. We tried signing Baird under Hodgson so I would definitely say both were club signings.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5687 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »

Depends on what you want to hear.  :P

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5688 on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
Love the official site headline from Irvine -

'Penalty was turning point.'

Er, we were 2-0 up!!!

Conceding ONE goal - nice one Morrison by the way - should not have been THREE.

It's like the team just gave up after 30 minutes.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5689 on: December 20, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
We don't have a consistent goalscorer and without one of them it doesn't matter much who is the coach.
11th commandment............if you score twice in this league ´thou must not lose ´this wasnt about having a goalscorer this was about individual and collective mistakes from set pieces , then add a touch of lack of bottle = recipe for defeat !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5690 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »
Doesn't matter who he wants to sign Albion "coaches" have no say in comings and goings or who their backroom staff is.
As long as this is the case, the the Alan Irvines of football will be all we will be able to attract.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5691 on: December 20, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Love the official site headline from Irvine -

'Penalty was turning point.'

Er, we were 2-0 up!!!

Conceding ONE goal - nice one Morrison by the way - should not have been THREE.

It's like the team just gave up after 30 minutes.
A 2-0 scoreline always hinges on the third goal so for it to be a dubious pen it no doubt knocked us back.  I was checking on Sky Sports App and reading that we were far the better side - it is a tough place to go at the moment.

When it was 2-0 I told the misses if QPR score we would lose 3-2 without a doubt - should have sky betted it at 1-2

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5692 on: December 20, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
I keep refreshing these forums and Twitter in the hope of seeing he has gone...yet to see what I would. like though sadly.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5693 on: December 20, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
So in your initial post you paraphrased him (picked up by caravanc58) and then when you quoted him you haven't included the full quote.

"He was a real handful for us, we handled him very well in general play but on those three occasions he was good enough certainly to get the two goals from the corners, we highlighted his movement before the game and obviously he scored the penalty."

Criticise him for not making grammatical sense maybe.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5694 on: December 20, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
I am sure it has been discussed to death but our recruitment model, as I understand it, is the coaches identify what the team needs, the recruitment staff identify players that fit that criteria, the board says what we can afford and between all parties we agree our targets?  Not one individual has responsibility for who is or isn't brought in.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5695 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
I am sure it has been discussed to death but our recruitment model, as I understand it, is the coaches identify what the team needs, the recruitment staff identify players that fit that criteria, the board says what we can afford and between all parties we agree our targets?  Not one individual has responsibility for who is or isn't brought in.
Yep, that's the best summary of it. I hope that's what happens in reality too, because it would be poor if the head coach had no input

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5696 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
The misses (who knows very little about footy) just said to me "well, at least you scored a few, you said the other week you'd rather go down fighting than a bored to death loss". She has a point, but still, I feel losing that game has put on firmly on a path to going down. we need to have 38 points minimum going into the last 4 or 5 games.

We need to be played 17, with 21 points at this point to realistically think we can stay up.

Bobby having a decent game is good and Varela playing well is a bonus, because scoring will win games, but letting a 2 goal lead slip for like the 4th time in 2 years isn't good enough and the coaches need to leave. Not AI maybe, but downing and co need to move on, we need fresh blood and ideas.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5697 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
So in your initial post you paraphrased him (picked up by caravanc58) and then when you quoted him you haven't included the full quote.

"He was a real handful for us, we handled him very well in general play but on those three occasions he was good enough certainly to get the two goals from the corners, we highlighted his movement before the game and obviously he scored the penalty."

Criticise him for not making grammatical sense maybe.

I have not criticised him for anything as regards his comments, I simply responded to a question.

Perhaps that does not suit your agenda.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5698 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »
I think we need to review the whole 'model'. This head coach business hasn't worked well for some time now. Lets face it when Roy was here it was obvious that he had more control than most. A system where others identify transfer targets can't be good. We are hearing discontent with similar set ups at Spurs and Sunderland from head coaches regarding recruitment. I'd like to see us go back to a more conventional setup personally.  A good manager who is allowed to bring in his own staff and identify the players he wants.

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5699 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

Anelka struck me as a flat out Clarke signing, I know its been a couple of years and things may have changed