Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1766569 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #4775 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
Got to go so we can get someone in before christmas. The fans have turned, I didn't go out of choice and won't be going to the next one. Look at tonight's comments he's made, absolutely deluded.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4776 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
I bet there's not an Albion fan out there who would have named AI as their choice of head coach before he was given the job. Most people's attitude then was ok he's here give him a chance. The situation now is people's fears when he was appointed are staring us in the face so JP needs to react now, and not in January before wielding the axe and giving us a chance of staying up.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4777 on: December 02, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
As much as I want him gone, publicly taking the urine out of him isn't on.
Then maybe he shouldn't insult our fans by constantly talking rubbish and saying certain players aren't anywhere near good enough, only to be proven wrong by their performances, i.e. Varela tonight.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4778 on: December 02, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
He's now 2/1 to be next PL manager to be sacked - was 10/1 this morning!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4779 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
He was doomed from the start, he will never be accepted. Do the decent thing somebody
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4780 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »

Agreed, unfortunately we all have level's.....some are below and some, above.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4781 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »
AI had an utter mountain to climb and the odds on him doing it we huge, it's proved a spectacular failure as most predicted form day 1. It was a shocking appointment.

Just remove him tomorrow and appoint Pulis.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4782 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »

My previous post didn't include the posts of "can we pick the team for you", "we pick our own team" and "can we pick the team next week".

After Irvine made the changes, bowing more or less to the fans, sections of the Smethwick chanted "Alan Irvine - he's under the thumb".

"Your just Downing's number two" was another.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:42:15 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

bedfordbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4783 on: December 02, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
Got to go

You know where really in the pooh when they start  playing the Liquidator
 :o

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4784 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:43 PM »
He seems a nice man, disgusting behavior from a large amount of our fans that he doesn't deserve. Want him out by all means but acting like playground bullies reflects very poorly on the fan base. It's embarrassing. Irvine might not be good enough but frankly anyone would struggle with the atmosphere the ground creates. Partly why we're much better away than at home, it just puts everyone on edge.

Perhaps nearly as embarrassing as the amount of people who seem to think there's any chance of getting Mel back. Even ignoring he has I think the worst win percentage of any manager we've ever had, its just not happening for various reasons. It's funny, Mel was very poor, but a nice man. As is Irvine. One is revered, the other hated. Mel apparently loved because his football - which was actually Keith Downing. The same fans who would hate Downing as manager love his style because they think a Spaniard was behind it. It's quite funny really.

Considering Dave Jones nearly got the job in January, Irvine got the job in June, and both these took over a month, I'm really not sure why anyone, anywhere expects we'd get even a passably decent manager. The very, very, very best we could do is maybe Chris Hughton. And even he I doubt would take it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:36:02 PM by Dan »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4785 on: December 02, 2014, 11:32:57 PM »
Sorry, I cannot feel sorry for him one bit. He may be a nice bloke but he is not in the business to be liked , he is in to get results, he is not doing it and the last few days have been spent blaming everyone from the players and the recruitment staff to the club structure to deflect it from him. Varela has made him look an even bigger fool tonight with his performance after his claims about him not being fit.

I agree with you - the deflections and his team selections have been poor. I agree that its time for him to be sacked.

I felt sorry for him tonight because I don't think he warranted the abuse. If we have been losing 3-0 I could have understood but we were losing 2-1, we were controlling the game and our fans seemed more interested in slagging the head coach.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4786 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
He seems a nice man, disgusting behavior from a large amount of our fans that he doesn't deserve. Want him out by all means but acting like playground bullies reflects very poorly on the fan base. It's embarrassing.

Perhaps nearly as embarrassing as the amount of people who seem to think there's any chance of getting Mel back. Even ignoring he has I think the worst win percentage of any manager we've ever had, its just not happening for various reasons.

Irvine might not be good enough but frankly anyone would struggle with the atmosphere the ground creates. Partly why we're much better away than at home, it just puts everyone on edge.
The reason the atmosphere is like it is at home is because of the football Irvine has been dishing up. He's been given chances week after week to pick teams that would play the kind of football which would get fans onside. He's consistently thrown those chances back in the fans faces with the same old midfield five. I don't agree with the taunting he received, but other than that, he got the atmosphere he deserved.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4787 on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
Not condoning him being abused and to be honest apart from boos I heard nothing in the Brummie but you think this is bad ask Bobby Gould how bad it could be  :D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4788 on: December 02, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »
Not condoning him being abused and to be honest apart from boos I heard nothing in the Brummie but you think this is bad ask Bobby Gould how bad it could be  :D

I do not under any circumstances tolerate Scottish people being abused  :D

Regarding the chants - ask Mick!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:38:55 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4789 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »

I heard nothing of what has been claimed sat in the East Stand.

The only chants I heard were for Varela and Brown.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4790 on: December 02, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
Worth remembering that in the same fixture at the end of last season, we beat West Ham 1-0 under Pepe Mel.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4791 on: December 02, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
The reason the atmosphere is like it is at home is because of the football Irvine has been dishing up. He's been given chances week after week to pick teams that would play the kind of football which would get fans onside. He's consistently thrown those chances back in the fans faces with the same old midfield five. I don't agree with the taunting he received, but other than that, he got the atmosphere he deserved.
Totally agree.......

The bright first 15 mins and goal got him and the team off the hook for most of tonight.
It was like we flicked a switch then and the last 25 minutes of the first half were dire and, surprise surprise , West Ham won the games in that time.
Yes, we huffed and puffed second half as Allardyce just got his team to defend but showed little real quality (except for Varela) where it matters in and around the box. We were never going to win this game from the moment the Ammers went 2-1 up and the crowd knew it.

This was against a side that were there for the taking and continues our appalling run with the manager way out of his depth now - even responding to crowd chants about who to put on !  Brown is appalling and should never have been put on as he just got in the way of anything positive - in this instance Samaras would have offered more !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4792 on: December 02, 2014, 11:46:31 PM »
He seems a nice man, disgusting behavior from a large amount of our fans that he doesn't deserve. Want him out by all means but acting like playground bullies reflects very poorly on the fan base. It's embarrassing. Irvine might not be good enough but frankly anyone would struggle with the atmosphere the ground creates. Partly why we're much better away than at home, it just puts everyone on edge.

Perhaps nearly as embarrassing as the amount of people who seem to think there's any chance of getting Mel back. Even ignoring he has I think the worst win percentage of any manager we've ever had, its just not happening for various reasons. It's funny, Mel was very poor, but a nice man. As is Irvine. One is revered, the other hated. Mel apparently loved because his football - which was actually Keith Downing. The same fans who would hate Downing as manager love his style because they think a Spaniard was behind it. It's quite funny really.

Considering Dave Jones nearly got the job in January, Irvine got the job in June, and both these took over a month, I'm really not sure why anyone, anywhere expects we'd get even a passably decent manager. The very, very, very best we could do is maybe Chris Hughton. And even he I doubt would take it.
I'm hoping Peace will finally be willing to let go of Downing and Kiely, and let the new man bring in his own people. If that's the case, we should be able to attract someone suitable to manage a club in arguably the best league in the world.

When Mel was sacked, Lepkowski reported that there was a very impressive list of applicants. The reason we ended up with Irvine was likely due to the insistence on working with Downing and Kiely, and refusal to pay the necessary compensation. If that changes, we've got a chance. Who could we possibly appoint that's worse than Irvine anyway?

bombersboots

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4793 on: December 02, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »
He seems a nice man, disgusting behavior from a large amount of our fans that he doesn't deserve. Want him out by all means but acting like playground bullies reflects very poorly on the fan base. It's embarrassing.

Perhaps nearly as embarrassing as the amount of people who seem to think there's any chance of getting Mel back. Even ignoring he has I think the worst win percentage of any manager we've ever had, its just not happening for various reasons.

Irvine might not be good enough but frankly anyone would struggle with the atmosphere the ground creates. Partly why we're much better away than at home, it just puts everyone on edge.

Also another disgustingly abject and very predictable performance from our coaching and playing staff, Irvine's a big lad, he didn't have to take the job, but did because he fancied the challenge. The sad truth is the fans feel like they are loosing the club to terrible desicions over which they have no control. One thing they do have is a voice, and thank god for that because I'ts about the only entertaining about our home form at the moment.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4794 on: December 02, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
Worth remembering that in the same fixture at the end of last season, we beat West Ham 1-0 under Pepe Mel.

This is what I mean, after the Palace loss, Keith Downing was our head coach in all but name. All this praise for Mel is praise for Keith Downing. It's bizarre. We didn't even do well in that time. West Ham were much worse then anyway, but regardless we were abysmal for almost every game in those months.

Just to be clear, the football under Irvine is very poor. It's just this idea that Mel was somehow any better because of his reputation (which isn't even very good bar 2 seasons with Betis).

If the club have any sense they'll get another rubbish Spanish manager and even if they relegate us with 15 points that'll keep most our fans happy. Maybe change Keith Downing's name to Keith Gonzales seeing as people seem to love his football so much.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4795 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
My previous post didn't include the posts of "can we pick the team for you", "we pick our own team" and "can we pick the team next week".

After Irvine made the changes, bowing more or less to the fans, sections of the Smethwick chanted "Alan Irvine - he's under the thumb".

"Your just Downing's number two" was another.

Nothing of this heard from the Brummie ?
If we lose to Vile then the gloves will be off for him !

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4796 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:08 PM »
I feel sorry for him - it was a shame that the supporters spent so long of the second half deriding him rather than supporting the team.

He has made the biggest mistake of his life tonight in bowing down to the fans. It has made him look weak. His position amongst the supporters (as they demonstrated tonight) has now become untenable. He will not win them back.

He's a hard working bloke, he's a nice bloke, but he's not good enough and Jeremy Peace needs to act now. If he remains the discontent will grow and the poisonous atmosphere will linger. Time to save the season by admitting we made a mistake and moving him on.

Agree totally Liam,  shame it's come to this, but most of the second half tonight was blind panic, Time to move him on I'm afraid.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4797 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
This is what I mean, after the Palace loss, Keith Downing was our head coach in all but name. All this praise for Mel is praise for Keith Downing. It's bizarre. We didn't even do well in that time. West Ham were much worse then anyway, but regardless we were abysmal for almost every game in those months.

Just to be clear, the football under Irvine is very poor. It's just this idea that Mel was somehow any better because of his reputation (which isn't even very good bar 2 seasons with Betis).

If the club have any sense they'll get another rubbish Spanish manager and even if they relegate us with 15 points that'll keep most our fans happy. Maybe change Keith Downing's name to Keith Gonzales seeing as people seem to love his football so much.
If you're saying Downing was in charge during that time, and saying that period was so terrible, then I presume you're in favour of him being sacked?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4798 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
Pepe mel has been a dam site more successful than Ted in his career
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4799 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »
Then maybe he shouldn't insult our fans by constantly talking rubbish and saying certain players aren't anywhere near good enough, only to be proven wrong by their performances, i.e. Varela tonight.

He's got a lot to answer for regarding leaving Varela out in the cold for so long when he's been fit !   >:(