Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758922 times)

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #4575 on: December 01, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
'He didn't have to accept the job either.' Unbelievable. He might be pooh but having a go at him for accepting the job is ridiculous. What's he supposed to say 'no thanks, stick your job and salary, I'm bloody awful.'

did he not do that last time we tried to sign him
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:18:51 PM by devonbaggiecjaj »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4576 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »
I really did begin reading the words you wanted to see then as I thought it said "Irvine LIKELY to hand starts to fringe players." Which made the whole article even more confusing. Surely pre-season makes no difference if you then get hardly any minutes for 4 months like Baird.

Bored of this, c'mon Irvine at least make a couple of positive changes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:44:41 PM by OldburyWBA »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4577 on: December 01, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
'Alan Irvine is unlikely to hand starts to his fringe players against West Ham. Supporters are looking to the likes of Silvestre Varela and Sebastian Blanco to break the club’s barren spell in front of goal. But the Head Coach said: “It’s a shame for the boys who came in late (in the summer). I said right at the beginning what a big task it was for them coming in late in pre-season. The players who we signed early came in and got to know the lads started pre-season with us and they’re the ones who are playing in the team: Wisdom, Gardner, Pocognoli, Lescott and Baird to some extent. They were all here. The ones who aren’t in the team are the ones who weren’t here. I said at the beginning how difficult it is to catch up.

“Pre-season is there for a reason, to get you ready for the season and if you miss pre-season the games have started, the training goes down and before you know it it becomes that vicious circle: you can’t get in the team because you’re not ready to get into the team, others are playing and are getting more and more capable of playing at the levels that they need to be playing at. The others are falling behind even if they train extra. So it is extremely difficult. I feel for them, I really do because they train really hard on a day to day basis.

“It’s funny I heard Jose Mourinho talking about the players who can’t get in his team at the moment. He is playing the same team on Saturday, European game, Saturday. He was saying the others were training hard and doing the best they can and they will be called upon and when they are called upon they have to be as ready as they possibly can be. We are in the same position with these boys.”

Irvine is keeping any changes close to his chest tomorrow: “I’m giving Sam (Allardyce) no clues whatsoever! I haven’t even told the players what the team is yet. To be honest I haven’t finalised the team yet. Normally they’d go away the day before a game knowing what the team is. But we’ve had limited time to do all the work that we need to do and I’m certainly not telling Sam what we might do! We have a squad to pick from and we will pick from that squad.”'

Source: Birmingham Mail

I must admit I'm totally failing to understand Irvine's Earth logic. In all seriousness, I'm getting angrier and angrier with each ridiculous quote I read from him. Messrs Swain and Lepkowski really ought to be telling him to shut up for a while. I really don't know where to begin with these latest pearls of wisdom, other than to say that I absolutely despair, and so must the players who can't get into the side (or even the squad) as a result of this crazy reasoning.

So now this buffoon reckons he can't get an international player fit enough to play a game of football in 5 months?
Idiot

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #4578 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
Wasnt Lescott injured for most of pre-season?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4579 on: December 01, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
Wasnt Lescott injured for most of pre-season?

That is a very good point you make.

If Irvine doesn't rate the players either he should come out and say so or say nothing at all because whatever he does will just trip himself up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Jeb-Dog

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4580 on: December 01, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
What does he think he is hiding from Big Sam? Big Sam has to guess one thing - is Sess or Anicebe starting? Otherwise it's the same formulation and tactics we've been playing all season from our meticulously prepared head coach and his rabble of merry men we call our coaching team.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4581 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »
That is a very good point you make.

If Irvine doesn't rate the players either he should come out and say so or say nothing at all because whatever he does will just trip himself up.
just another nail in his coffin with another contradictory statement, keep firing them Irvine the exit door awaits.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4582 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »
I think for Irvine, it's all going to boil down to his refusal to play Ideye, Varela, Blanco and Gamboa. After today's reports that Irvine is already looking to get rid of these players, I think it's inevitable that Peace is going to step in and sack him. There's just no way he'll be prepared to give up on these investments without giving them a chance first, which is what Irvine is pushing for. I suspect it's now just a case of waiting for the right time to sack him, and I hope a loss to West Ham tomorrow will be sufficient.

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4583 on: December 01, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
I think for Irvine, it's all going to boil down to his refusal to play Ideye, Varela, Blanco and Gamboa. After today's reports that Irvine is already looking to get rid of these players, I think it's inevitable that Peace is going to step in and sack him. There's just no way he'll be prepared to give up on these investments without giving them a chance first, which is what Irvine is pushing for. I suspect it's now just a case of waiting for the right time to sack him, and I hope a loss to West Ham tomorrow will be sufficient.

Spot on. I wonder what the agents fees were for getting these players in and then to get them out the door without playing a game and replacements in, cannot see how JP will agree to that

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4584 on: December 01, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »

'Alan Irvine is unlikely to hand starts to his fringe players against West Ham. Supporters are looking to the likes of Silvestre Varela and Sebastian Blanco to break the club’s barren spell in front of goal. But the Head Coach said: “It’s a shame for the boys who came in late (in the summer). I said right at the beginning what a big task it was for them coming in late in pre-season. The players who we signed early came in and got to know the lads started pre-season with us and they’re the ones who are playing in the team: Wisdom, Gardner, Pocognoli, Lescott and Baird to some extent. They were all here. The ones who aren’t in the team are the ones who weren’t here. I said at the beginning how difficult it is to catch up.

“Pre-season is there for a reason, to get you ready for the season and if you miss pre-season the games have started, the training goes down and before you know it it becomes that vicious circle: you can’t get in the team because you’re not ready to get into the team, others are playing and are getting more and more capable of playing at the levels that they need to be playing at. The others are falling behind even if they train extra. So it is extremely difficult. I feel for them, I really do because they train really hard on a day to day basis.

“It’s funny I heard Jose Mourinho talking about the players who can’t get in his team at the moment. He is playing the same team on Saturday, European game, Saturday. He was saying the others were training hard and doing the best they can and they will be called upon and when they are called upon they have to be as ready as they possibly can be. We are in the same position with these boys.”

Irvine is keeping any changes close to his chest tomorrow: “I’m giving Sam (Allardyce) no clues whatsoever! I haven’t even told the players what the team is yet. To be honest I haven’t finalised the team yet. Normally they’d go away the day before a game knowing what the team is. But we’ve had limited time to do all the work that we need to do and I’m certainly not telling Sam what we might do! We have a squad to pick from and we will pick from that squad.”'

Source: Birmingham Mail[/url

If I was a fan of any other club, I would find this side-splittingly funny. As I'm not, I find it embarrassing and an insult to our fans' intelligence. What kind of a coach operates on such double standards (given the number of the current team who missed at least some of pre season) and expects to be taken seriously. In any case, he is the head coach, so it's his job to get them fit and up to scratch. If he can't do it, as he suggests, he is clearly admitting that he isn't up to the job. And comparing us to Chelsea and himself to Mourinho is just cringeworthy.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4585 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »
According to Steve Madeley's Twitter, there's a truly horrifying Irvine comment about the club's structure coming up in tomorrow's Express & Star. Can't see that helping his cause...

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4586 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:11 PM »
What does he think he is hiding from Big Sam? Big Sam has to guess one thing - is Sess or Anicebe starting? Otherwise it's the same formulation and tactics we've been playing all season from our meticulously prepared head coach and his rabble of merry men we call our coaching team.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'm trying to be nice to the poor man so I'll refrain from further comment.

The situation is quickly becoming increasingly bizarre, and we were warned about that as well by fellow fans.

Serious questions needs to be asked about how on earth our board ended up with Irvine. I have a feeling more heads need to roll over this. Anyone with half a brain in management should have seen this mess coming if we appointed Irvine, but apparently some brains are missing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:22:28 PM by GrGr »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4587 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
According to Steve Madeley's Twitter, there's a truly horrifying Irvine comment about the club's structure coming up in tomorrow's Express & Star. Can't see that helping his cause...
wonder why the pr department are letting so many stupid statements from Irvine becoming public.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4588 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
Well I think the voting in the reset stay/go poll says it all really..

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4589 on: December 01, 2014, 11:44:33 PM »
wonder why the pr department are letting so many stupid statements from Irvine becoming public.
Maybe setting it up to make his sacking more understandable? Rather like when they tried to stop Mel from speaking the English he'd learned so it could be used as part of the reason to sack him

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4590 on: December 01, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
Lets hope Madeley is exaggerating not really what's needed atm another public rift.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4591 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
Lets hope Madeley is exaggerating not really what's needed atm another public rift.
It could accelerate Irvine's departure though, which is needed

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4592 on: December 01, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »
8/1 to be next manager sacked
Baggie Terra

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4593 on: December 01, 2014, 11:58:45 PM »
8/1 to be next manager sacked
12s at coral.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4594 on: December 01, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
Oh my god this fool needs to go asap, blaming everyone but himself. Peace get rid

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4595 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
If I was a fan of any other club, I would find this side-splittingly funny. As I'm not, I find it embarrassing and an insult to our fans' intelligence. What kind of a coach operates on such double standards (given the number of the current team who missed at least some of pre season) and expects to be taken seriously. In any case, he is the head coach, so it's his job to get them fit and up to scratch. If he can't do it, as he suggests, he is clearly admitting that he isn't up to the job. And comparing us to Chelsea and himself to Mourinho is just cringeworthy.

Spot on. The "pre-season" excuse is laughable. Does this also mean then that anytime someone is injured for more than 4 weeks, they'll actually be out for the season??

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4596 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4597 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »

He'll be right too. The club's structure is the worst in the league. It might have worked under Ashworth who was actually good at his job but otherwise its a disaster, everything about it is wrong.

The funniest thing about the clubs structure is it was bought in supposedly to make the club more stable, yet the turnover we've had in players, head coaches and back room staff since Ashworth left makes us the most unstable club in the league.

It's pretty clear Irvine didn't want many of these players, whatever you think of him, no manager is going to be successful if you buy players you think they should want rather than ones they actually want. We saw this problem under Clarke too. Sure we might make one or two concessions but its woeful business and football sense.

The club needs to get back to basics and get rid of this pretentious head coach nonsense. Maybe managers shouldn't have all the power, but we've gone too far the other way and give them no tools to work with. It's the reason we end up taking 6 weeks to get managers nobody particularly wanted anyway. Purely because its a real struggle to find anyone who would take this job given the constraints.

Every manager we've had has moaned about this system apart from Hodgson who funnily enough was the one we gave the most concessions too, allowed him to sign HIS players, and basically let him do his job. Even if Irvine did end up leaving due to his problems with the structure, the short sighted would celebrate, but there'd obviously be deeper issues at hand that are going to ruin this team sooner rather than later, regardless of who's manager.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:12:04 AM by Dan »

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4598 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »
He'll be right too. The club's structure is the worst in the league. It might have worked under Ashworth who was actually good at his job but otherwise its a disaster, everything about it is wrong.

The funniest thing about the clubs structure is it was bought in supposedly to make the club more stable, yet the overturn we've had in players, head coaches and back room staff since Ashworth left makes us the most unstable club in the league.

It's pretty clear Irvine didn't want many of these players, whatever you think of him, no manager is going to be successful if you buy players you think they should want rather than ones they actually want. We saw this problem under Clarke too. Sure we might make one or two concessions but its woeful business and football sense.

The club needs to get back to basics and get rid of this pretentious head coach nonsense. Maybe managers shouldn't have all the power, but we've gone too far the other way and give them no tools to work with. It's the reason we end up taking 6 weeks to get managers nobody particularly wanted anyway.

Every manager we've had has moaned about this system apart from Hodgson who funnily enough was the one we gave the most concessions too, allowed him to sign HIS players, and basically let him do his job.
I'd agree that some of the structure needs looking at- I think head coaches/managers should be able to bring a couple of backroom staff in with them for support, and that Kiely and Downing should lose their "unsackable" status.

I also think, regardless of title, when looking for prospective head coaches/managers, we need to be considering candidates with managerial qualities. Simply being a good coach isn't sufficient, because whatever the job title is, the job itself requires qualities such as leadership, motivation, discipline, and qualities on matchday such as tactical knowledge and effective substitutions. Bewilderingly, its as if the title of "Head Coach" has made Peace think these managerial qualities don't need to apply.

I'd also point to the quality of those people in the structure being as important as the structure itself. For example, the structure worked very well with Ashworth and Hodgson, as Hodgson was a "manager" in all but his title, and Ashworth really knew his football and was a good diplomat. Clearly, Burton and Irvine don't possess the necessary qualities regardless of the structure.

So personally, although the above aspects need changing, I wouldn't agree that a fundamental change in the structure is needed. With the right personnel it could work. However, it will never work as long as Kiely and Downing are unsackable, and as long as we keep appointing cheap "coaches" rather than proper managers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:17:02 AM by maccbaggie »

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4599 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »

The funniest thing about the clubs structure is it was bought in supposedly to make the club more stable, yet the turnover we've had in players, head coaches and back room staff since Ashworth left makes us the most unstable club in the league.

The club needs to get back to basics and get rid of this pretentious head coach nonsense. Maybe managers shouldn't have all the power, but we've gone too far the other way and give them no tools to work with. It's the reason we end up taking 6 weeks to get managers nobody particularly wanted anyway. Purely because its a real struggle to find anyone who would take this job given the constraints.

Every manager we've had has moaned about this system apart from Hodgson who funnily enough was the one we gave the most concessions too, allowed him to sign HIS players, and basically let him do his job. Even if Irvine did end up leaving due to his problems with the structure, the short sighted would celebrate, but there'd obviously be deeper issues at hand that are going to ruin this team sooner rather than later, regardless of who's manager.
Great post.