Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1766502 times)

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #4550 on: December 01, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for him because he should never have been given the job in the first place and is obviously out of his depth, but even so, some of this is insulting.

I don't.

On thousands of pounds a week and will get a big pay off. He didn't have to accpet the job either.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4551 on: December 01, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »
Inspiring thoughts from the head coach here:

Sky Sports

You can add the fixture list to the list of those to blame!  :D

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4552 on: December 01, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »
Inspiring thoughts from the head coach here:

Sky Sports

You can add the fixture list to the list of those to blame!  :D

He's got a point about the last three games, it's not like we've lost to Burnley, QPR and Leicester. The next few games will be the test, if we don't have a shot in the first half against West Ham then I will be very concerned.  :-X
the regime don't like it man

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4553 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
Comments from Irvine are condescending tripe......he appears to be out of touch with reality.

If i were JP i would take the Bull by the Horns and show some leadership, because no one else is, and:

1.Sack the Recruitment staff, as it appears most of our summer signings are rubbish, if not why arent they playing?

2. Sack the entire First team Coaching staff, including Irvine after we lose to West Ham.

3.Recruit a proper Manager/leader with his own backroom staff and ditch this current system where no one takes responsibility for anything.

Replacement?.....Stevie Wonder hes got more vision.
                            ABI.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4554 on: December 01, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
The fans are on his back, he will be gone soon. Look at how many empty seats there were against arsenal. Not seen so many against a big club since we've been promoted. He is an awful manager and the fans will not take to him. Now he is blaming everyone else, pathetic excuse of a manager. Personally I will be surprised if we get 20000 against west ham. First game I'm missing voluntarily for 15 years and know plenty who aren't going. If he gets rid of some of the players without giving them a chance then that will frustrate even more. This is the best set of players we've had since being in the prem. time to go now alan.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4555 on: December 01, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
He's got a point about the last three games, it's not like we've lost to Burnley, QPR and Leicester.
Arsenal have been dodgy at the back of late and had a keeper making his debut. That cried out for an attacking approach and yet we instead failed to even have a shot until the 54th minute. Was this because of Arsenal's excellent play? No it wasn't, we just didn't get players forward.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4556 on: December 01, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
I think even if we get hammered tomorrow (see what I did there) he will still be kept on.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4557 on: December 01, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
Its taken me all day - in between doing worthwhile tasks - to catch up on this thread since late friday.  I can't believe just how tenacious and conciousness some of the defenders of Irvine are.  Its like Rourke's Drift!

There are so many comparisons with previous managers - who are all failures here at West Brom (Hodgson excepted) - and anyone who is going to be successful has to do better.  The thing that Hodgson had was a balance between being very organised and resilient and being able to break and score - and that carried on into the beginnings of Clarke's reign thanks to Lukaku.  Despite RH's desire to play 4-4-2 he played to the strength of the players and they really suited a 4-2-3-1.  I would argue that the current team would suit that system much better too.  Whatever way I look at it Irvine is not playing to the players strength - he is trying to pick a team suit the system he prefers.

On Saturday I had a spare ticket and took a friend who is an Arsenal fan.  I told him how we would play.  2 banks of 4.  Very narrow.  Long balls to short attackers.  Resilient.  No attacking ambition.  Try to stay in the game and if we still have a chance in the last 10 minutes give it a go.  I thought we'd lose 0-2, but its amazing just how predictable we have become.

I am going tomorrow.  I go with 3 cronnies.  We will only be using 2 of our 4 seats tomorrow.  I am going because one of my mates already has his travel booked from his home in Amsterdam and I don't want to let him down.  He wouldn't be coming it he hadn't bought cheap flights a while ago.  In which case there would have been 4, paid for, empty seats.  That's how much we're enjoying it.

West Ham are doing better than Arsenal so I can only imagine how we'll set up and play against a team that are better than the oh so mighty Arsenal.  Perhaps we'll try 5-5-0?

I have no idea who should replace Irvine, but he definitely should be replaced, and the sooner the better.  However, I would like Peace to have someone lined up rather than spend a month in total limbo.  I think the right person depends on the role that we want them to fulfil.  I think that the last 2 due dithering processes have shown that the cupboard is bare if you are looking for a head coach to fit into our system.  So, we have to re-organise and appoint for a different role.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4558 on: December 01, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
The reason for that was because he was brought in specifically to introduce a new way of playing and yet wasn't backed by either the board or the other coaches in any way, shape or form. Blame him for that if you want, but I don't.

Spot on WorcsWBA,  l said it in past posts it wasn't so much of what he did with the team he had it was what he could do for us with a team of his players.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4559 on: December 01, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
Excellent post Mr cynical . If you look at our team set up we have one striker in saiido , one attacking midfielder in sess . The midfield consists of brunt and dorrans who are at best championship class . Mulumbu who is hot and cold and Gardner who is ok . So out of four midfield players 1 is up to scratch imho . The 2 full backs aren't allowed to attack or overlap so what chance do we have of scoring goals . NEGATIVE and BORING . Last year we were lucky . If we carry on in this we we are heading down . It's time to give blanco varela ideye and the Greek god a chance and try to beat teams especially at home .

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4560 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
If he thinks the fans were bad on Saturday then he better not lose to west ham and villa otherwise the at atmosphere at those games could be horrific.

Really can't see him being sacked this season though which is worrying.

How can anyone with a squad that we have got which is probably our best squad not able to attack teams is unforgivable
Baggie Terra

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4561 on: December 01, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
No excuse for tomorrow night . If he sets team up the same he deserves all he gets .

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4562 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
west ham get an early goal the fans will be on his back even more , lets see if this great coach who has all the players on side can ye right ! can get a result . think villa game be the one lose that be getting sacked in the morning will be ringing out loud from all sides of the ground .

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4563 on: December 01, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
Excellent Post Mr Cynical!

Long ball to short attackers and playing very narrow is bang on!

Playing narrow as we do we really need quality from full back going forward, this is why Gamboa is a must start for me!
WestBrom.com FC Number 10

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4564 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
Excellent Post Mr Cynical!

Long ball to short attackers and playing very narrow is bang on!

Playing narrow as we do we really need quality from full back going forward, this is why Gamboa is a must start for me!
Not quite bang on in my view. I still think that there's less long ball than under Hodgson or Clarke...the problem Saturday and in recent home games generally was lack of movement and lack of tempo. Also lack of bodies in the box. Dorrans got one cross over 1st half and there was literally no-one in the box. Saido was stationary on the edge of the box and as usual no-one taking a risk and getting in the box from midfield.
I do agree Gamboa must start, and give him the next 5 games to get up to speed...we have to get more attacking threat from somewhere. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4565 on: December 01, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
'Alan Irvine is unlikely to hand starts to his fringe players against West Ham. Supporters are looking to the likes of Silvestre Varela and Sebastian Blanco to break the club’s barren spell in front of goal. But the Head Coach said: “It’s a shame for the boys who came in late (in the summer). I said right at the beginning what a big task it was for them coming in late in pre-season. The players who we signed early came in and got to know the lads started pre-season with us and they’re the ones who are playing in the team: Wisdom, Gardner, Pocognoli, Lescott and Baird to some extent. They were all here. The ones who aren’t in the team are the ones who weren’t here. I said at the beginning how difficult it is to catch up.

“Pre-season is there for a reason, to get you ready for the season and if you miss pre-season the games have started, the training goes down and before you know it it becomes that vicious circle: you can’t get in the team because you’re not ready to get into the team, others are playing and are getting more and more capable of playing at the levels that they need to be playing at. The others are falling behind even if they train extra. So it is extremely difficult. I feel for them, I really do because they train really hard on a day to day basis.

“It’s funny I heard Jose Mourinho talking about the players who can’t get in his team at the moment. He is playing the same team on Saturday, European game, Saturday. He was saying the others were training hard and doing the best they can and they will be called upon and when they are called upon they have to be as ready as they possibly can be. We are in the same position with these boys.”

Irvine is keeping any changes close to his chest tomorrow: “I’m giving Sam (Allardyce) no clues whatsoever! I haven’t even told the players what the team is yet. To be honest I haven’t finalised the team yet. Normally they’d go away the day before a game knowing what the team is. But we’ve had limited time to do all the work that we need to do and I’m certainly not telling Sam what we might do! We have a squad to pick from and we will pick from that squad.”'

Source: Birmingham Mail

I must admit I'm totally failing to understand Irvine's Earth logic. In all seriousness, I'm getting angrier and angrier with each ridiculous quote I read from him. Messrs Swain and Lepkowski really ought to be telling him to shut up for a while. I really don't know where to begin with these latest pearls of wisdom, other than to say that I absolutely despair, and so must the players who can't get into the side (or even the squad) as a result of this crazy reasoning.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:22:41 PM by WorcsWBA »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4566 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
'Alan Irvine is unlikely to hand starts to his fringe players against West Ham. Supporters are looking to the likes of Silvestre Varela and Sebastian Blanco to break the club’s barren spell in front of goal. But the Head Coach said: “It’s a shame for the boys who came in late (in the summer). I said right at the beginning what a big task it was for them coming in late in pre-season. The players who we signed early came in and got to know the lads started pre-season with us and they’re the ones who are playing in the team: Wisdom, Gardner, Pocognoli, Lescott and Baird to some extent. They were all here. The ones who aren’t in the team are the ones who weren’t here. I said at the beginning how difficult it is to catch up.

“Pre-season is there for a reason, to get you ready for the season and if you miss pre-season the games have started, the training goes down and before you know it it becomes that vicious circle: you can’t get in the team because you’re not ready to get into the team, others are playing and are getting more and more capable of playing at the levels that they need to be playing at. The others are falling behind even if they train extra. So it is extremely difficult. I feel for them, I really do because they train really hard on a day to day basis.

“It’s funny I heard Jose Mourinho talking about the players who can’t get in his team at the moment. He is playing the same team on Saturday, European game, Saturday. He was saying the others were training hard and doing the best they can and they will be called upon and when they are called upon they have to be as ready as they possibly can be. We are in the same position with these boys.”

Irvine is keeping any changes close to his chest tomorrow: “I’m giving Sam (Allardyce) no clues whatsoever! I haven’t even told the players what the team is yet. To be honest I haven’t finalised the team yet. Normally they’d go away the day before a game knowing what the team is. But we’ve had limited time to do all the work that we need to do and I’m certainly not telling Sam what we might do! We have a squad to pick from and we will pick from that squad.”'

I must admit I'm totally failing to understand Irvine's Earth logic. In all seriousness, I'm getting angrier and angrier with each ridiculous quote I read from him. Messrs Swain and Lepkowski really ought to be telling him to shut up for a while. I really don't know where to begin with these latest pearls of wisdom, other than to say that I absolutely despair, and so must the players who can't get into the side (or even the squad) as a result of this crazy reasoning.
he should just shut up and stop talking nonsense, if these players are never going to be ready why the bloody hell sign them. the mans on a self destruct mission.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4567 on: December 01, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

This is mental.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4568 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
I don't.

On thousands of pounds a week and will get a big pay off. He didn't have to accpet the job either.

'He didn't have to accept the job either.' Unbelievable. He might be pooh but having a go at him for accepting the job is ridiculous. What's he supposed to say 'no thanks, stick your job and salary, I'm bloody awful.'

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4569 on: December 01, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
He's right to an extent that players who have no pre season never really catch up. The players themselves will admit that. Unfortunately it happens every year with us. Lessons are never learned. The issue here is that the team are playing poorly that change has to happen regardless of whether the others are at 100% or not.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4570 on: December 01, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
He's right to an extent that players who have no pre season never really catch up. The players themselves will admit that. Unfortunately it happens every year with us. Lessons are never learned. The issue here is that the team are playing poorly that change has to happen regardless of whether the others are at 100% or not.
didn't brunt and Morrison both miss a chunk of pre season though, yet both play but the new signing aint ready because they missed pre season. stinks of double standards

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4571 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »
What's he supposed to say 'no thanks, stick your job and salary, I'm bloody awful.'

In short yes.

I wouldn't accept a job as a doctor as I don't have the qualifications or experience.

Same as I wouldn't accpet a job as a mechanic or tv repair man.

If I did i'd be out of a job within weeks.

My point is I don't feel sorry for him because he knew how the fans would react to his appointment and he knew how they'd react after a bad run of form. Yet he still took the job.

He took the praise when he got those couple of good results he should be man enough to take the flack instead of blaming everyone else.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4572 on: December 01, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »

Same team tomorrow then.

Another boring, sterile performance.

I cannot contain my excitement.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4573 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »

Moron , simple as. Talk about asking to be sacked , comparing himself and us to Jose and Chelsea ??? :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:28:23 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4574 on: December 01, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
I'm so far from convinced by this argument- Morrison, Brunt and Lescott each barely had a pre season and are guaranteed by Irvine to start every game.

It's incredible for him to suggest that players who didn't get a full pre-season can't break into the team and perform as well as any other player can. I'd list examples but I'd end up listing about a quarter of all the players who start for their clubs in the Premier League...